Sola Scriptura

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Whether the Catholic Church has changed any command from God has yet to be proved. I deny it.
The Church, on the other hand, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath, or Seventh day of the week, to the first, made the Third Commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day. The Council of Trent (Sess. VI, can. xix) condemns those who deny that the Ten Commandments are binding on Christians.
—The Catholic Encyclopedia, Commandments of God, Volume IV, © 1908 by Robert Appleton Company, Online Edition © 1999 by Kevin Knight, Nihil Obstat - Remy Lafort, Censor Imprimatur - +John M. Farley, Archbishop of New York, page 153

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a very critical distinction which Catholics must always keep in mind when discussing the topic of Sola Scriptura.

And that is, since they hold to their traditions for doctrine of God without necessity of Scripture to prove them, they need no discussion of Scripture to proof anything.

The distinction is "material" versus "formal" sufficiency of Scripture.

Well, we can be certain that this is going to clear everything up. It's not that Scripture is insufficient. No, not at all. Oh, it's sufficient 'materially', just not 'formally'. Right.

So, we live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God, including every jot and tittle of Scripture, materially, not formally.

The difference here is between a blueprint to make a building, and the bricks of which the building is made

The difference here is between what is written and what is not. I.e. we are either building with bricks and mortar of God's Word, or hay and stubble of men's traditions.

Any building not made with Scripture is a building made with man's hands: Built upon sand, not upon the Rock Christ Jesus.

"Probably the most famous - and most important - example that contradicts formal sufficiency is all the heresy surrounding the Trinity. The [Trinity] can be proven from Scripture, indeed (material sufficiency), but Scripture Alone as a principle was not formally sufficient to prevent the Arian crisis from occurring.

It is the most infamous and important point of departure from Sola Scriptura, which had been the standard among believers before it.

Here is where the 'leaders' departed from the Scripture, taking the opportunity to make what is not written equal to what is written, by the false accusation that Scripture can't defend itself against false doctrine of men: insufficiency of Scripture.

Arianism: a created christ, being created and made a quickening spirit on earth, but not born in the flesh: a kind of paganist demigod, or Olympian god in temporary human form.

One Scripture disproves it: And the Word was God.

The fact that 'accompanying tradition' was not considered 'necessary' before Arianism, proves that 'accompanying tradition' was not necessary before Aarian. Arianism was the catalyst for leading fools against Sola Scripture, who didn't have enough Scripture to quote John 1:1, and walk away with the faithful, and leave the liars behind.

They then went on from declaring unwritten tradition necessary to defend written Scripture, to unwritten tradition is necessary for doctrine of God to accompany Scripture.

That is when the Catholic Religion separated itself from the gospel of salvation through faith of Jesus preached according to the Scriptures. (1 Cor 15:3-4)

As everyone is aware

This is what I really enjoy from them that have departed from Scripture of truth to vain imaginations of men: they start basing their false conclusions on how 'everyone is aware' of something about Scripture, that most believers were never aware of, until these great and learned professors declare we jolly well are aware of it.

I.e. we need to be made aware of it, so that they can then prove something, that no Scripture of God was ever aware of.

One last important thing to note

Same thing here. Be careful when an unbeliever attempting to mishandle Scripture tells you to take special 'note' of something really, really important. Scripture is the only note needed to hear the Word of God and to sing the song of the Lamb:

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

We have the love of God, because He first loved us by His Word coming in the flesh, and then having His Word written in the flesh for us to read and know of a certainty what is true with God:

For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

All Scripture is certain of sound to them that believe, and traditions of men sound like screeching fingernails on black boards.

Other examples (among many) that contradict the notion of formal sufficiency are especially those texts discussing interpretation of OT prophecy, which the NT shows was very often missed by the Jews who knew the OT quite well.

Now, this statement is circular genius in the flesh:

Because people were not Sola Scriptura in the old covenant, when the Redeemer came according to the scriptures, they did not believe Him. Therefore, the Scriptures were insufficient to show them the Redeemer had come.

And though He repeatedly quoted Scripture as proof of His coming, they still did not believe Him, because they only knew their traditions, not Scripture.

I.e. them that reject Sola Scriptura don't know what they are talking about in the things of God, and so they blame Scripture for it's inefficiency to show them!

I.e. because they weren't sticking to the blueprint and their house built on sand got washed away, they blame the blueprint as insufficient!

And they do so most scholastically, as we can see for ourselves: a bunch of babbling gibberish couched in pseudo-intellectual 'understanding'.

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

The great professors that wrote that stuff are a perfect example of scholastic hay and stubble being presented as learned intelligence with all important 'notes' of understanding. This is what happens when believers in God turn to traditions of men to vainly worship Him:

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man.

They knew God by preaching of Scripture and glorified not His Word only as truth of God, neither were thankful for His Scripture of truth, but became fools, by professing themselves wise in their own traditions, and changed the glory of the incorruptible seed of His Word into the images of corruptible man: traditions of men.

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

On his wonderful blog

A wonderful display of hay, stubble, and grass flowering out as a mysteriously crafted conclusion in a most thoughtful manner: that Scripture is insufficient for faith of God, because them that reject Scripture as insufficient for faith of God, wouldn't know God if he came to them in the flesh. Which He did, and they had Him crucified for rejecting their carefully crafted traditions by only quoting Scripture.

And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration. And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel?

Well, I marvelled and wondered with great admiration at how bloody ignorant and foolish so-called professors of theology can be, with all the Scripture we wrote to avoid that very thing, and then there's this fawning proselyte that calls it wonderful.

By the way, angel. What's a blog?

Reactions: Brakelite

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said, first you have to get past all the modifications to the scriptures to know what sola scriptura is.
Then you have to prove that God did not make any corrections or gave additional information over the past 1935 years.
Some how God was silenced. AHHH!

Still the topic being the Bible and sola scripture there is a lot of information I have on that.
And still I have made it clear that the process of salvation has been preserved in most translations of the Bible and Protestant denominations.
Also I go to church nearly every Sunday and participate in church functions. And 95 percent of the time I am standing and praising the Lord and singing hymns with fundamentalists, either denominational churches or non-denominational churches. So it is not that I have anything against fundamentalist or think they are not saved.

Having said that, you get stupid again and I will put you on ignore.
You should be very proud of yourself. Sounds really religious.

I'm no fundamentalist. I only believe Scripture, therefore I don't abide by anything added to Scripture, as well as anything taken away from it.

Then you have to prove that God did not make any corrections or gave additional information over the past 1935 years.

Sola Scriptura does not forbid others adding things to God's Word. Sola Scriptura is the wisdom of christ not to do so.

I.e. believe and do what you want. If it's added to Scripture, then I put it on ignore.

Speaking of ignore, please do so. Reading you at this point only remains me of stupid pride. Or stupidity on parade.

Seriously, you really think I would be bothered by not knowing something from someone that doesn't know what they're talking about, because they think God made mistakes the first time around, so He had to go back and edit His Word?

Seriously? Push the ignore button. Please.

Accurist

Jun 30, 2021
PNW.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 8:20 informs us that scripture is our safeguard against error and the delusions of man. Whether you choose to call that Sola scriptura, or something else is entirely up to you.

"לְתֹורָ֖ה וְלִתְעוּדָ֑ה אִם־לֹ֤א יֹֽאמְרוּ֙ כַּדָּבָ֣ר הַזֶּ֔ה אֲשֶׁ֥ר אֵֽין־לֹ֖ו שָֽׁחַר" (To the law rather, and to the testimony. And if they speak not according to this word, they shall not have the morning light) (Is. 8:20). Are the words "Sola Scriptura" in this verse? Does Isaiah say Scripture is our only authority given by God in this verse? Furthermore, the law and testimony spoke of in Is. 8:20 is the law and testimony given to Isaiah in verse Is. 8:16: "צוֹר, תְּעוּדָה; חֲתוֹם תּוֹרָה, בְּלִמֻּדָי" (Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples) which itself refers back to Is. 8:1-2: "וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֵלַי קַח-לְךָ גִּלָּיוֹן גָּדוֹל; וּכְתֹב עָלָיו בְּחֶרֶט אֱנוֹשׁ, לְמַהֵר שָׁלָל חָשׁ בַּז (And the Lord said to me: Take thee a great book, and write in it with a man's pen. Take sway the spoils with speed, quickly take the prey). וְאָעִידָה לִּי, עֵדִים נֶאֱמָנִים--אֵת אוּרִיָּה הַכֹּהֵן, וְאֶת-זְכַרְיָהוּ בֶּן יְבֶרֶכְיָהוּ" (And I took unto me faithful witnesses, Urias the priest, and Zacharias the son of Barachias). How does this context surrounding Is. 8:20 support Sola Scriptura?

Edits:
Italicized a quotation/question mark.
Replaced brackets with parenthesis.
Replaced a "the" with "this."

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"לְתֹורָ֖ה וְלִתְעוּדָ֑ה אִם־לֹ֤א יֹֽאמְרוּ֙ כַּדָּבָ֣ר הַזֶּ֔ה אֲשֶׁ֥ר אֵֽין־לֹ֖ו שָֽׁחַר" [To the law rather, and to the testimony. And if they speak not according to this word, they shall not have the morning light] (Is. 8:20). Are the words "Sola Scriptura" in this verse? Does Isaiah say Scripture is our only authority given by God in this verse? Furthermore, the law and testimony spoke of in Is. 8:20 is the law and testimony given to Isaiah in verse Is. 8:16: "צוֹר, תְּעוּדָה; חֲתוֹם תּוֹרָה, בְּלִמֻּדָי" [Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples] which itself refers back to Is. 8:1-2: "וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֵלַי קַח-לְךָ גִּלָּיוֹן גָּדוֹל; וּכְתֹב עָלָיו בְּחֶרֶט אֱנוֹשׁ, לְמַהֵר שָׁלָל חָשׁ בַּז [And the Lord said to me: Take thee a great book, and write in it with a man's pen. Take sway the spoils with speed, quickly take the prey]. וְאָעִידָה לִּי, עֵדִים נֶאֱמָנִים--אֵת אוּרִיָּה הַכֹּהֵן, וְאֶת-זְכַרְיָהוּ בֶּן יְבֶרֶכְיָהוּ" [And I took unto me faithful witnesses, Urias the priest, and Zacharias the son of Barachias]. How does the context surrounding Is. 8:20 support Sola Scriptura?
Yep, you've quoted the same Catholic source Mungo quoted. Isaiah 8:20 supports Sola scriptura because it claims to be the final arbiter in doctrine, faith, and practice. In other words, don't go to the wizards, the ecclesiastical councils, or the theologians, because unless they speak according to the law and the testimony, don't believe them.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm no fundamentalist. I only believe Scripture, therefore I don't abide by anything added to Scripture, as well as anything taken away from it.

Then you are going to be really ticked off. But it isn't going to do you any good because all the people that pulled the wool over eyes are dead and buried.

The statement still stands.

Sola Scriptura does not forbid others adding things to God's Word. Sola Scriptura is the wisdom of christ not to do so.
You will have to take that up with God.

Speaking of ignore, please do so. Reading you at this point only remains me of stupid pride. Or stupidity on parade.

Seriously, you really think I would be bothered by not knowing something from someone that doesn't know what they're talking about, because they think God made mistakes the first time around, so He had to go back and edit His Word?

Seriously? Push the ignore button. Please.
Done.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Reformation was responsible for restoring to the Church the principle of Sola Scriptura, a principle which had been operative within the Church from the very beginning of the post apostolic age. Initially the apostles taught orally but with the close of the apostolic age all special revelation that God wanted preserved for man was codified in the written Scriptures. Sola Scriptura is the teaching and belief that there is only one special revelation from God that man possesses today, the written Scriptures or the Bible, and that consequently the Scriptures are materially sufficient and are by their very nature as being inspired by God the ultimate authority for the Church. This means that there is no portion of that revelation which has been preserved in the form of oral tradition independent of Scripture. The Council of Trent in the sixteenth century, on the other hand, declared that the revelation of God was not contained solely in the Scriptures. It was contained partly in the written Scriptures and partly in oral tradition and therefore the Scriptures were not materially sufficient.

More here: Sola Scriptura and the Early Church by William Webster – Grace Online Library

Accurist

Jun 30, 2021
PNW.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 8:20 supports Sola scriptura because it claims to be the final arbiter in doctrine, faith, and practice. In other words, don't go to the wizards, the ecclesiastical councils, or the theologians, because unless they speak according to the law and the testimony, don't believe them.

I have to repeat the following because you didn't address it the first time: "'לְתֹורָ֖ה וְלִתְעוּדָ֑ה אִם־לֹ֤א יֹֽאמְרוּ֙ כַּדָּבָ֣ר הַזֶּ֔ה אֲשֶׁ֥ר אֵֽין־לֹ֖ו שָֽׁחַר' (To the law rather, and to the testimony. And if they speak not according to this word, they shall not have the morning light) (Is. 8:20). Are the words "Sola Scriptura" in this verse?" Where does Isaiah claim "Scripture is the final arbiter in doctrine, faith, and practice" in this verse? Do any verses regarding "wizards" or sorcery of any kind make mention of "ecclesiastical councils" and "theologians?"

I have to repeat the following because you didn't address it the first time: "Furthermore, the law and testimony spoke of in Is. 8:20 is the law and testimony given to Isaiah in verse Is. 8:16: 'צוֹר, תְּעוּדָה; חֲתוֹם תּוֹרָה, בְּלִמֻּדָי' (Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples) which itself refers back to Is. 8:1-2: 'וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֵלַי קַח-לְךָ גִּלָּיוֹן גָּדוֹל; וּכְתֹב עָלָיו בְּחֶרֶט אֱנוֹשׁ, לְמַהֵר שָׁלָל חָשׁ בַּז' (And the Lord said to me: Take thee a great book, and write in it with a man's pen. Take sway the spoils with speed, quickly take the prey). 'וְאָעִידָה לִּי, עֵדִים נֶאֱמָנִים--אֵת אוּרִיָּה הַכֹּהֵן, וְאֶת-זְכַרְיָהוּ בֶּן יְבֶרֶכְיָהוּ' (And I took unto me faithful witnesses, Urias the priest, and Zacharias the son of Barachias). How does this context surrounding Is. 8:20 support Sola Scriptura?"

Edits:
Replaced double quotation marks with single quotation marks.
Unitalicized "ecclesiastical councils" and "theologians."

Last edited:

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[
There were MANY lists in existence before the Council of Rome in 382 - but NO official Canon of Scripture existed. MANY of those lists included apocryphal works like the Shepherd of Hermas, the Epistles of Barnabas, the Gospel of Peter, the Letters of Clement and so on.
These Letters were considered as Sacred Scripture for hundreds of years and read from pulpits for the first few centuries.

As I showed you in my last post - that SAME list was reiterated and confirmed at Hippo (393) and Carthage (397). It included 46 OT Books - 7 of which were removed by Protestants during the 16th century Revolt.

"official" by a select group for a select group- nobody disputes that. Nowhere is that the final and only authority of God though and none of your twisting is going to make it so. The fact it kept changing is also evidence of the weakness of the process.

And the further those poor deluded "catholics" strayed and mutated into the modern RCC- the worse it got.

Luther wanted to remove several Books from the New Testament as well including, James, Hebrews, Jude and Revelation because they were "too Catholic". fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and the books remained - so he invented doctrines around them instead, like Sola Fide.

I dont view Luther as any kind of authority so I really don't care what he did or why. I will say it was fortunate he realized the truth and tried to do something about it.

The Catholic Church if today is the SAME Catholic Church of Ignatius's time - and the SAME Catholic Church of the Councils of Rome and Trent. with the SAME doctrines and practices. Whenever ignorant anti-Catholics are at a loss for facts - they usually make the same idiotic claim YOU just did by stating that it is a "different" Catholic Church.
The onus is on YOU to show me HOW its teachings beliefs and practices are "different".

Oh phuleeze. Even you arent that ignorant ( are you?)

Makes one wonder if this was all so true.. Why didnt Jesus and the Apostles actually set up the RCC and set up the infrastructure?

The answer is obvious. Peter never claimed to be the first Pope- another back engineered false doctrine brought to us by the Anti-Christs bestest PAC.

Scripture also doesn't have other intermediaries before Christ, Mary worship and a host of other doctrines of devils. We could write volumes on unscriptural RCC doctrines and other lies.

Reactions: Brakelite and Addy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura
OP ^

AGREE: Sola Scriptura
IS: the express reliable source

(Inspiration OF God)

FOR: teaching Gods Word

(Instruction IN righteousness)

FOR: preaching Gods Word
(Gods express profitable doctrine)

FOR: Verifying Gods Word
(Proof that supersedes that which is NOT in Scripture)

FOR: Correction WITH written Scriptural Text
(Trust and Reliance on Gods inspired Written Word, being greater than mans spoken or written word outside of Scripture.)

2 Tim 3:
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

REJECTION of Sola Scriptura:
IS REJECTION of:
1: Gods written inspiration
2: Gods written doctrine
3: Gods written proof
4: Gods written correction
5: Gods written instruction
FOR VERIFICATION of teaching, preaching.

* Ever Notice...
those who disagree with or flat out reject Sola Scriptura...

* DO TWO THINGS...
1) Express their disagreement, rejection...
2) Demand someone PROVE their disagreement, rejection...
"DOES NOT HAVE MERIT"...

* EVER NOTICE...
THE MISSING "component" ?
* "THEIR" Alternative "INSTEAD" of Sola Scriptura"!!!

THAT is called: Gaslighting.

It is: a tactic of a narcissist.

Actions OF A MAN...COMMENDED...

Acts: 17:11
[10] Berea; A place
Bereans; A people of the place called Berea.

[11] These (Bereans) were more noble (mention of being nobel) than those in Thessalonica,
(BECAUSE they Expressly Relied on Scripture to VERIFY what was being taught and preached to them)
in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Shall YOU fall for being gaslighted....by a narcissist's attack Against your Belief IN Trusting SCRIPTURE....?
OR...stand on the merits OF your Belief...Scripturally Taught, and Scripturally revealed it IS Nobel
TO Verify with Scripture what you Hear, ARE taught and preached?

Glory to God,
Taken

Last edited:
Reactions: Addy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A good start? It doesn't even get out of the starting blocks!
All scripture is inspired by God and profitable [or useful in some translations] for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness. Profitable/useful yes, of course. But that does not say only scripture is profitable/useful.​

Try again.

2 Tim 3:16 a poster said was a good starting point concerning the Value of Reliance on Scripture.

2 Tim 3:
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Mungo response..
A good start? It doesn't even get out of the starting blocks!

It....2 Tim 3:16...apparently is NOT SUFFICIENT for Mungo...

AND...what IS Mungo's "alternative" or "addition" to his rejection of 2 Tim 3:16 being "insufficient"...

OOPS..."conveniently MISSING'.

Stop gaslighting ... and "reveal what IS YOUR BETTER alternative than relying on Scripture"

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WORTH REPEATING
You said: While it is true that God still deals with us individually and collectively in unique personal ways- scripture makes it clear that God never changes and is the same always. That's uniformity in purpose so anything we are taught "beyond" written scripture cannot change or alter that which we do have that's written.

Amen.

1 Cor 4:
[6] And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: amigo de christo

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Question: Which is the Sabbath day?
Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.
Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?

Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.

—Rev. Peter Geiermann C.SS.R., The Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, p. 50

The Church, on the other hand, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath, or Seventh day of the week, to the first, made the Third Commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day. The Council of Trent (Sess. VI, can. xix) condemns those who deny that the Ten Commandments are binding on Christians.

—The Catholic Encyclopedia, Commandments of God, Volume IV, © 1908 by Robert Appleton Company, Online Edition © 1999 by Kevin Knight, Nihil Obstat - Remy Lafort, Censor Imprimatur - +John M. Farley, Archbishop of New York, page 153

1. Neither of those quotes is from an official Catholic source.
If you are going to claim what the Catholic Church teaches it is preferable use official statements such as from Councils, the current Catechism of the Catholic Church, formal Papal statements (not chats on a plane).

2. I guess we are going to go through the whole Sabbatarian arguments again! Sigh"!

So here we go.
Question: Which is the Sabbath day?
Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.
Correct. The Catholic Church has not changed that.

Going back in time
Catechism of the Catholic Church
Sunday is expressly distinguished from the sabbath which it follows chronologically every week; for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the sabbath. In Christ's Passover, Sunday fulfills the spiritual truth of the Jewish sabbath and announces man's eternal rest in God. For worship under the Law prepared for the mystery of Christ, and what was done there prefigured some aspects of Christ (Catechism of the Catholic Church, para 2175 – current edition taken from the Vatican web site).

Pope John Paul II
We move from the "Sabbath" to the "first day after the Sabbath", from the seventh day to the first day: the dies Domini becomes the dies Christi! (Apostolic Letter, Dies Domini, Pope John Paul II, 1998 – para 18).

Catechism of the Council of Trent
The observance of the Sabbath was to be abrogated at the same time as the other Hebrew rites and ceremonies, that is, at the death of Christ. (Catechism of The Council Of Trent, issued by order of Pope Pius V, published 1556

Justin Martyr
And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen (Justin Martyr, First Apology, chap 67 - approx 155AD)

In AD 135 the Emperer Hadrian sacked Jerusalem, prohibited Jews from living there and prohibited worship on the Sabbath throughout the Empire. This was not an issue for Christians as they were already worshipping on Sunday as the following show.

Epistle of Barnabus
Further, He says to them, Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure. [Isaiah 1:13] You perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. (Epistle of Barnabus, para 15 AD 117-138)

Ignatius of Antioch
If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death (Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to The Magnesians, AD 110)

Didache
But every Lord's day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. (Didache – 1st century, possibly around 70AD)

So you see the cessation of observing the Jewish Sabbath goes right back to the beginning.
However it is still a moral obligation to worship God, and the Church from the earliest days decided to make Sunday, the day Jesus rose from the dead, a weekly day of rest and worship.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Thessalonians rejected Paul and his message....

In general, yes.

They (generally, men from Thessalonia) compared Paul’s message to the Old Testament and decided that Paul was wrong.

Uh, Scripture reveals the Complete Opposite.

Now let’s look at Luke’s comment about the noble-minded Bereans: "The brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived they went into the Jewish synagogue. Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

The Bereans...
1) Paul and Silas went into the Bereans Jewish synagogues.
2) The Bereans were IN the Jewish synagogues receiving the word with eagerness.
3) The Bereans were Examining the Scriptures DAILY (which were located IN the synagogues) to SEE if the word being spoken to them were so.

Where IS ...
1) the Thessalonians going at all to the Synagogue?
2) any notice of the Thessalonians Examining the Scriptures to SEE if the word being spoken to them were so.

Doesn't EXIST.
You have established your Belief on First setting a False Premise, which thereafter you Conclude your Belief established on a False Premise.

If one of the two groups could be tagged as believers in
sola scriptura, who would it be, the Thessalonians or the Bereans? The Thessalonians, obviously. They, like the Bereans, examined the Scriptures with Paul in the synagogue,

False. Scripture does not reveal the Thessalonians Examined the Scriptures.

Yet,
you add to Scripture, what it does not say, then base your Rejection of Scripture on a false premise.

If your claim that it "was" "SO OBVIOUS the Thessalonians Examined the Scriptures"...
Where IS this mysterious "SO OBVIOUS" clue, since Scripture NEVER says or indicates the Thessalonians Examined the Scriptures?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In general, yes.

Uh, Scripture reveals the Complete Opposite.

The Bereans...
1) Paul and Silas went into the Bereans Jewish synagogues.
2) The Bereans were IN the Jewish synagogues receiving the word with eagerness.
3) The Bereans were Examining the Scriptures DAILY (which were located IN the synagogues) to SEE if the word being spoken to them were so.

Where IS ...
1) the Thessalonians going at all to the Synagogue?
2) any notice of the Thessalonians Examining the Scriptures to SEE if the word being spoken to them were so.

Doesn't EXIST.
You have established your Belief on First setting a False Premise, which thereafter you Conclude your Belief established on a False Premise.

False. Scripture does not reveal the Thessalonians Examined the Scriptures.

Yet,
you add to Scripture, what it does not say, then base your Rejection of Scripture on a false premise.

If your claim that it "was" "SO OBVIOUS the Thessalonians Examined the Scriptures"...
Where IS this mysterious "SO OBVIOUS" clue, since Scripture NEVER says or indicates the Thessalonians Examined the Scriptures?
Yet it sure did make obvious that the bereans studied diligently the word and this was why many did come to Christ .
They examined to see . Yes indeed , let us stay planted in our bibles .
Only a system that is in it for power and control would try and sway folks from the dire importance of scripture reading .
But the lambs shall not heed their reminders . We shall stay glued in our bibles and be testing all things that men do teach
And if it dont agree with scripture it shall not be heeded .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet it sure did make obvious that the bereans studied diligently the word and this was why many did come to Christ .
They examined to see . Yes indeed , let us stay planted in our bibles .
Only a system that is in it for power and control would try and sway folks from the dire importance of scripture reading .
But the lambs shall not heed their reminders . We shall stay glued in our bibles and be testing all things that men do teach
And if it dont agree with scripture it shall not be heeded .

Gaslighting is what is Obvious.
No problem to Disagree with a persons stated position.
UNTIL... the WHY they Disagree is A man devised DRAFTED False Premise, that such DRAFING IS A GLARING FLASE CLAIM.

No where does Scripture claim men disagreed with Paul's teaching, Based on the Examining the Scriptures.

AND...those who simply Disagreed with Paul, WITHOUT a basis IN Scripture were excluded from being recognized at nobel.

Stand with WHAT IS in Scripture...rather than falling for psychobababbling and gaslighting of what is NOT in Scripture.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Those who reject Sola Scripture announce plainly their unbelief in God, and make the incorruptible Word of God like unto the corruptible traditions of men, so that God needs to edit His Word, because He didn't get it right the first time around.

What about all those placing their faith and hope and lives on what was written at the time, only to find out later that God had missed something, or He had spoken unadvisedly with His lips, and needed to do some white out correcting.

Those who reject Sola Scriptura are unbelievers.

Status
Not open for further replies.