Spirit-Filled Members: Please Comment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Revelation 19:10d---->"For the essence of prophecy is to give a clear witness for Jesus."

I would agree that the role of prophet in OT times was different from the role in the NT churches.

Reactions: marks

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe this verse sets up one in authority over another, or some kind of "self-policing caste" within the body of Christ.

Yes. That part sounds accurate to me. Instead of a self-policing caste, it is rather the Spirit of God Himself who polices the entire congregation, similar to in Colossians 3:15.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't found any prophets anywhere in the sense that their predictive word is always true.
Yes, many because of pride, like to strut their stuff, but it impresses me none as they are still subject to God's Written word.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't found any prophets anywhere in the sense that their predictive word is always true.
Yes, many because of pride, like to strut their stuff, but it impresses me none as they are still subject to God's Written word.

I haven't either, and indeed they are.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I haven't either, and indeed they are.
Then how does this square with this: 'I just read through a profound discussion going on at CF over how the gifts of prophecy should be governed in the church'.? (present tense)

The spiritual gifts of prophets (and apostles) was for the Apostolic Age, when the New Testament was still incomplete. And the correct meaning of prophecy is divine inspiration ( 2 Tim 3:16,17; 2 Pet 1:16-21, etc).

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then how does this square with this: 'I just read through a profound discussion going on at CF over how the gifts of prophecy should be governed in the church'.? (present tense)

Not sure I understand your question. Rephrase it for me.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

know that, even though a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if his oracle is not fulfilled or verified, it is an oracle which the LORD did not speak. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously, and you shall have no fear of him.

Peace be with you!

Reactions: prism

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not sure I understand your question. Rephrase it for me.
Well if you haven't found any prophets anywhere (just like prism and most Christians), then why did you create a thread on how the gifts of prophecy should be governed in the church, and then ask the so-called "Spirit-filled" Christians to comment? Rather illogical.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chris you already know my take on this....I have read most of the replies here. You need to clarify if you are talking about the Gift of Prophesy vs. Prophets. Comments here stating NT prophets are different than OT prophets indicate you are referring to Prophets. Other comments indicate you are talking about the Gift of Prophesy.
So what exactly are you wanting comments on?

Reactions: Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if you haven't found any prophets anywhere (just like prism and most Christians), then why did you create a thread on how the gifts of prophecy should be governed in the church, and then ask the so-called "Spirit-filled" Christians to comment? Rather illogical.

When did I say I haven't found any prophets anywhere? LoL. There are people moving in the prophetic all over the place. They're just not in your sphere of influence, so you don't know what's going on.

Read that link I provided again, especially Posts like #83 and #92. Such occurrences are not all that uncommon in Spirit-filled circles, and we try to tell you guys this stuff all the time. You just don't have any of it happening yourselves, so you think it doesn't exist.
Help with 1 Cor 14:32

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chris you already know my take on this....I have read most of the replies here. You need to clarify if you are talking about the Gift of Prophesy vs. Prophets. Comments here stating NT prophets are different than OT prophets indicate you are referring to Prophets. Other comments indicate you are talking about the Gift of Prophesy.
So what exactly are you wanting comments on?

Both, sister! Maybe with that I can trick you into sticking around a little more! LoL. ;)

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both, sister! Maybe with that I can trick you into sticking around a little more! LoL. ;)
:p I am very happy to stick around...our ole buddy Oscarr was bound to show up eventually. It is so hard to take him serious when not long ago he used to prophesy over forum members and now he is constantly rebuking prophets exist today or that there is only certain situations that MUST exist before a prophesy is spoken.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:p I am very happy to stick around...our ole buddy Oscarr was bound to show up eventually. It is so hard to take him serious when not long ago he used to prophesy over forum members and now he is constantly rebuking prophets exist today or that there is only certain situations that MUST exist before a prophesy is spoken.

Something got ahold of him. Maybe he saw someone get badly damaged, or started looking too much at what false prophets are doing and went into an overreaction, fearing he needed to counter-balance it with "reason" or something. Whatever it was, he got converted, and the scholarship he honors now isn't influencing him in a good way either.

Maybe that's it. He's Presbyterian, and it's possible his leadership may have "reasoned" him right out of operating in the gifts to now "correcting" everyone instead.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something got ahold of him. Maybe he saw someone get badly damaged, or started looking too much at what false prophets are doing and went into an overreaction, fearing he needed to counter-balance it with "reason" or something. Whatever it was, he got converted, and the scholarship he honors now isn't influencing him in a good way either.

Maybe that's it. He's Presbyterian, and it's possible his leadership may have "reasoned" him right out of operating in the gifts to now "correcting" everyone instead.
So the person who wrote the OP over there is probably thoroughly confused by now..lol.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'For ye may all prophesy one by one,
that all may learn,
and all may be comforted.
And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
For God is not the author of confusion,
but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

(1 Cor 14:31-33)

Hello there, @Hidden In Him, :)

You stipulate that you desire only those who are, 'spirit-filled' to respond to this thread.

'And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father
in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.'

(Ephesians 5:18-21)

* I believe I qualify: if the evidence of a spirit-filled believer are those of the verses from Ephesians quoted above. For I sing and make melody in my heart to the Lord, and when occasion affords with others too. I give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, (My Father in Him) in His Name; and seek to submit myself to my fellow believers in reverence to Him.

* The letters to the Corinthians were written during the Acts period, and tell us, concerning those that prophesied, that they were in control of the spirit that was in them: so there should have been no confusion, only peace among the congregation. Those prophesying, did so in an orderly fashion, not all speaking together, as though not in control of the power at work within them.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
* I believe I qualify: if the evidence of a spirit-filled believer are those of the verses from Ephesians quoted above. For I sing and make melody in my heart to the Lord, and when occasion affords with others too. I give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, (My Father in Him) in His Name; and seek to submit myself to my fellow believers in reverence to Him.

Well for starters this is a wonderful practice, and not only commendable but as you know also high beneficial to the spiritual life.

But now, if you read it carefully, the verses that succeed 18 are actually additional commands in light of being filled with the Spirit, not an en toto descriptive of what someone filled with the Spirit will do. The first in-filling came at Pentecost, and the Spirit fell so heavily that tongues of fire could literally be seen coming to rest upon the believers there. In Pentecostal circles, this is understood to happen only when a VERY heavy anointing falls upon a congregation. One of the more usual yet still strong occurrences was the manifestation of prophecy and speaking in tongues. These don't limit what congregations being filled with the Spirit will do either, but they are things to take into consideration when regarding oneself (I speak of anyone here) as being truly Spirit-filled.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I love about NT vs OT is that the Holy Spirit can use anyone to speak through in today's time. The old testament was restricted to "prophets" that God spoke through because the Holy Spirit hadn't been given to us yet. However, there are still "prophets" today....but there are a lot of false prophets today as well. We have to be able to discern the spirit of the person speaking to know if what they are speaking is of God or not.

I was just reading where it says in the Bible that God did not do anything until He had spoken it to His prophets first....and He confirms and fulfills the word of his servant and messengers
Amos 3:7 English Standard Version (ESV)
7 “For the Lord God does nothing without revealing his secret
to his servants the prophets.

Isaiah 44:26 English Standard Version (ESV)
26 who confirms the word of his servant and fulfills the counsel of his messengers,
who says of Jerusalem, ‘She shall be inhabited, and of the cities of Judah, ‘They shall be built,
and I will raise up their ruins’;

Reactions: ScottA