Spirit-Filled Members: Please Comment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What?
I don't even know what cessationism is.

LoL! That's good. If you don't know already, I'm not telling you. :)
Thanks for the courtesy, Ma'am. You're welcome, of course. I just wanted to stay on topic is all.

Peace!

funny-dog-picture-peace-harmony-love.jpg

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The authority of a specific anointing to overseership from the Holy Spirit.
As you call yourselve, "overseer", now you speak of the "authority" of the overseer, pray tell, where can I read about that authority which you claim in Scripture?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just read through a profound discussion going on at CF over how the gifts of prophecy should be governed in the church. I gave a response just a second ago. Thought it might be something we should talk through as well. Relevant to the future of the end-time church.

Blessings in Christ.
@amadeus, @"ByGrace", @Josho, @Triumph1300, @lforrest, @Heart2Soul, @Episkopos

Help with 1 Cor 14:32

Hi Hidden In Him,

32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

As a passive voice verb, the subject and object are the same. And "are subject" is actually singular.

I do not believe this verse sets up one in authority over another, or some kind of "self-policing caste" within the body of Christ.

Rather it teaches that all prophets are, each of them, all able to control their own spirits.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a passive voice verb, the subject and object are the same. And "are subject" is actually singular.

That's really interesting. I hadn't looked at the actual reading. A better rendering (for clarity's sake) would then be "The spirits of the prophets are being subjected to the prophets" (indicative present passive). But how unique to use a singular verb to describe the actions of a plural noun. Don't think I've ever seen that before. If it's not an error (which it likely can't be since it's translated the same way in all MSS), the reading would literally be "and the spirits of the prophets is being subjected to the prophets"...

Now that is a strange reading... as if the spirits of the prophets are being referred to as one unit collectively. Aha! Yes, I think it means the same thing as in Colossians 3:15, i.e. letting the Spirit of God rule over them collectively.

What do you think? Sound right to you?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Spirit-Filled Members: Please Comment
So according to HIH if you do not believe that the spiritual gift of prophecy (or more specifically tongues) is still in effect, you are not "Spirit-filled". And that is just nonsense.

Reactions: prism

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So according to HIH if you do not believe that the spiritual gift of prophecy (or more specifically tongues) is still in effect, you are not "Spirit-filled". And that is just nonsense.

I thought this might come up. Enoch, that is just the terminology I was led to use. There is a difference between having the Spirit and being filled with it, but that doesn't mean those who have been filled cannot come to the place of again no longer being so. Otherwise Paul would not have commanded believers who were already born of the Spirit to be filled with the Spirit.

Let's save it for another thread, although you can start one if you like. But the words "Pentecostal" and "Charismatic" carry denominational connotations. "Spirit-filled" was the right word to use.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I almost didn't chime in myself for that reason.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's really interesting. I hadn't looked at the actual reading. A better rendering (for clarity's sake) would then be "The spirits of the prophets are being subjected to the prophets" (indicative present passive). But how unique to use a singular verb to describe the actions of a plural noun. Don't think I've ever seen that before. If it's not an error (which it likely can't be since it's translated the same way in all MSS), the reading would literally be "and the spirits of the prophets is being subjected to the prophets"...

Now that is a strange reading... as if the spirits of the prophets are being referred to as one unit collectively. Aha! Yes, I think it means the same thing as in Colossians 3:15, i.e. letting the Spirit of God rule over them collectively.

What do you think? Sound right to you?

That is the literal translation, "spirits of prophets to prophets is being subject", or, to match the English order, "spirits of prophets is being subject to prophets".

I think the key is the context.

1 Corinthians 14
29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

As a complete thought, I see this teaching us that more than one prophet can speak, and (literally) others are to judge, from diakrino, more evaluate.

If you are speaking, yield to another. All can have their opportunity, but in order, the spirits of the prophets is subject to the prophets, God does not create confusion, but you can all control yourselves, so that all may prophecy, and all learn, and all be comforted.

So I think it teaches us that each who prophesy are able to control themselves so that order is maintained, and no one dominates.

Much love!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a complete thought, I see this teaching us that more than one prophet can speak, and (literally) others are to judge, from diakrino, more evaluate.

If you are speaking, yield to another. All can have their opportunity, but in order, the spirits of the prophets is subject to the prophets, God does not create confusion, but you can all control yourselves, so that all may prophecy, and all learn, and all be comforted.

This is excellent as well : )

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Weren't we all donkeys once? I know I was...
And I could identify several who have come grazing through here, too.
All of us were, or still are, beasts [donkeys are included]; or have, or have had, the nature of beasts. Given this, you would be correct that some are grazing here, but pointing any out would probably NOT be a good idea.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
That is the literal translation, "spirits of prophets to prophets is being subject", or, to match the English order, "spirits of prophets is being subject to prophets".

I think the key is the context.

1 Corinthians 14
29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

So I think it teaches us that each who prophesy are able to control themselves so that order is maintained, and no one dominates.

Much love!
And how would the judging be done?
We can't even agree among us here what is from God and what is not.

There MUST be an elder in attendance...maybe a pastor or a priest.
Yes. There are charismatic groups in Catholicism too.

And let me say, that I know and understand why.

Someone of authority must be present.
And personal prophecy is not such a good idea.
Some pretty bad experiences could come from this.
God speaks to each one of us individually.

IF someone does prophecy (speak a word from God) to someone then it must be to edify. I have had experience with this.

Reactions: Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of us were, or still are, beasts [donkeys are included]; or have, or have had, the nature of beasts. Given this, you would be correct that some are grazing here, but pointing any out would probably NOT be a good idea.
Durn! You just got me to delete a post-in-progress that was at least three pages long.

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me know if the link doesn't work for you. It should come up as Page 1 of "Help with 1 Cor 14:32" by Carl Emerson, posted in General Theology.

I could very well be wrong but, I thought you were speaking of the "discussion" and not just any particular thread? @Willie T Is this what you were were thinking, a particular thread?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And how would the judging be done?
In my view, we compare to Scripture firstly.

There MUST be an elder in attendance...maybe a pastor or a priest.
Is this what the Bible states, or is this your own rule to follow?

Someone of authority must be present.
Can you show me where in the Bible we're taught about taking authority over each other? I'm not aware of such a place.

And personal prophecy is not such a good idea.
Some pretty bad experiences could come from this.

I suppose that is one point of view.

IF someone does prophecy (speak a word from God) to someone then it must be to edify. I have had experience with this.

I thought you said it wasn't a good idea. Now I'm confused about what you think.

Much love!