Spiritual Gifts Anyone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1 Corinthians 12
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

What gifts do you believe God has given you and what work of the ministry is he/has he led you into.... Do you have any examples to share :)
The scripture says he, the Holy Spirit gives severally as he wills. I was taught not to seek the gift but to seek the giver and if you do that the gift will come in due course. So I never struggled over the gifts. When it was the Holy Spirits time he would give what he decided was to be used.

I have the feeling that we have to earn the use of them from the point of view the Spirit is not going to give gifts to people that are immature and unteachable. As the gifts come supernaturally we have to learn to hear from the Lord in the spirit realm or nothing is going to happen.

I remember on one occasion when I was speaking at a meeting and at the end invited people what wanted prayer to indicate as such. I had this feeling I was not to ask people what they wanted prayer for. I had to discern. The first couple I prayed for the word incest came to me. I did not name it in the prayer because I didn't want others to know about their sorrow. As I prayed the wife broke down in tears. After the meeting, I went up to them and said in private "It was incest wasn't it. " She said yes and although I had not used that word when praying she knew that I knew what it was.

I have much more confidence in praying for people if I can use discernment as I know that I have hit the spot.

Like the young man who was unconscious in hospital and was expected to be a vegetable for the rest of his life. God spoke to me and said to go and visit him and pray for him and leave a cloth under his pillow. I went with two others and we did this and three weeks later he walked out of hospital whole.

And then there was the time at our church's first annual conference where I had been appointed as a support for a senior minister. He preached on rejection and asked people to come forward if they wanted prayer for deliverance from it. (I had been delivered from it the previous year). I started at one end of the line and he started at the other end.

There was just one problem. I had no idea what to pray. I stood in front of the first person dumb. Then the words came by the Spirit. He breaks the power of canceled sin and sets the prisoner free. So that is what I prayed and the person went flat on their back. I did this for the second person and the same happened. With the third before I had finished saying it he went flat on his back. With the next person, I had hardly put my hand on their forehead and they were down. The next one I stood in front of them, and before I had touched them and said anything they went down. it continued like that. I only had to stand in front of them and they were down.

The power of the Spirit was so powerful in that room our involvement was minimal. All we had to do was what he said to do and he did the rest. After the meeting there was a lot of happy people.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture says he, the Holy Spirit gives severally as he wills. I was taught not to seek the gift but to seek the giver and if you do that the gift will come in due course. So I never struggled over the gifts. When it was the Holy Spirits time he would give what he decided was to be used.

I have the feeling that we have to earn the use of them from the point of view the Spirit is not going to give gifts to people that are immature and unteachable. As the gifts come supernaturally we have to learn to hear from the Lord in the spirit realm or nothing is going to happen.

I remember on one occasion when I was speaking at a meeting and at the end invited people what wanted prayer to indicate as such. I had this feeling I was not to ask people what they wanted prayer for. I had to discern. The first couple I prayed for the word incest came to me. I did not name it in the prayer because I didn't want others to know about their sorrow. As I prayed the wife broke down in tears. After the meeting, I went up to them and said in private "It was incest wasn't it. " She said yes and although I had not used that word when praying she knew that I knew what it was.

I have much more confidence in praying for people if I can use discernment as I know that I have hit the spot.

Like the young man who was unconscious in hospital and was expected to be a vegetable for the rest of his life. God spoke to me and said to go and visit him and pray for him and leave a cloth under his pillow. I went with two others and we did this and three weeks later he walked out of hospital whole.

And then there was the time at our church's first annual conference where I had been appointed as a support for a senior minister. He preached on rejection and asked people to come forward if they wanted prayer for deliverance from it. (I had been delivered from it the previous year). I started at one end of the line and he started at the other end.

There was just one problem. I had no idea what to pray. I stood in front of the first person dumb. Then the words came by the Spirit. He breaks the power of canceled sin and sets the prisoner free. So that is what I prayed and the person went flat on their back. I did this for the second person and the same happened. With the third before I had finished saying it he went flat on his back. With the next person, I had hardly put my hand on their forehead and they were down. The next one I stood in front of them, and before I had touched them and said anything they went down. it continued like that. I only had to stand in front of them and they were down.

The power of the Spirit was so powerful in that room our involvement was minimal. All we had to do was what he said to do and he did the rest. After the meeting there was a lot of happy people.
That is how I view the gifts as well....we don't have the power to do anything without the Holy Spirit present to manifest through us the gift He presently desires to use.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You know brothers and sisters, I can hear you drop a pin in your home from the other side of the planet. That may sound super creepy I know ;) but it is what the power of the Holy Spirit can do when he wants us to know something or prompt us to pray about a situation etc...The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the living God wrapped up in the Godhead and placed in our inner most being xox:)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh your wrong there brother. There are lot's of immature believers with awesome gifts being utilized in their lives.

Totally agree when we had our church back in England we had a nine year old who could hear from the Lord clearly. Seen God use a 13 year old many times...they were young in the faith as well as young in age ..but many old people, once they have been encouraged to yield to the Holy Spirit also was used in the gifts , yet they had been saved for decades , but knew nothing more than evangelism and the Gospel, and just sitting in some hard pew. They didn't even know that God has a functioning Body...where every joint supplies.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know brothers and sisters, I can hear you drop a pin in your home from the other side of the planet. That may sound super creepy I know ;) but it is what the power of the Holy Spirit can do when he wants us to know something or prompt us to pray about a situation etc...The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the living God wrapped up in the Godhead and placed in our inner most being xox:)

Actually it interests me greatly; not that I care to know people's business, but it is something I have been praying for for several years as a means of being able to know more accurately how to minister to them. Dream interpretation is something of a precursor to it, because you can see immediately into people's lives through what their dreams are saying. It's why I will often times go private to not shame them. But I think such gifts come only to those who are non-judgmental, as you are able to see things only the Lord sees and must be able to have greater compassion than the world might.

That having been said, I'd really like knowing how you operate in it, how it came to you, examples of it in use. If it's not something you wish to share I understand, but since we're talking about the gifts in this thread, I thought I'd ask : )

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

I'd just like to say to the folks who have read this post, some are just cruising the forums but are not actual members and some are members.

Stop dropping those pins to see if I can hear them! ;)

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop dropping those pins to see if I can hear them!
It must be hard for you to sleep... :p
full
(...or you live next to a bowling alley!) ;)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1 Corinthians 12
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

What gifts do you believe God has given you and what work of the ministry is he/has he led you into.... Do you have any examples to share :)
I have reservations about this topic....why? because it has a convoluted focus on self. Self righteousness which is forever bubbling under the surface need not be placed into a position of pious self elevation.

Let others make mention of gifts given to us giving glory to God but not us of these gifts. They are given to edify not to proclaim.

Those imbued with the Spirit's gifts will have an acute awareness of their unworthiness in the light of his grace. They will operate in those gifts often unconsciously giving thanks for his continuing presence, protection and strength with no emphasis overtly or covertly on the gifts given.
Any thought of highlighting the gifts is a trap set for conscious or unconscious self glorification.

Are we not servants who are to give of what has been given us with no thought of or for self?

When the seventy returned all excited after Jesus gave them power, relating to Jesus the days events, Jesus replied '......nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the sprits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven' Luke 10:20

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I have reservations about this topic....why? because it has a convoluted focus on self. Self righteousness which is forever bubbling under the surface need not be placed into a position of pious self elevation.

Let others make mention of gifts given to us giving glory to God but not us of these gifts. They are given to edify not to proclaim.

Those imbued with the Spirit's gifts will have an acute awareness of their unworthiness in the light of his grace. They will operate in those gifts often unconsciously giving thanks for his continuing presence, protection and strength with no emphasis overtly or covertly on the gifts given.
Any thought of highlighting the gifts is a trap set for conscious or unconscious self glorification.

Are we not servants who are to give of what has been given us with no thought of or for self?

When the seventy returned all excited after Jesus gave them power, relating to Jesus the days events, Jesus replied '......nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the sprits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven' Luke 10:20

It would not be possible to let others mention gifts given to us because we are from different parts of the world and these gifts are mentioned within the Church as they are used within the church body for the building up of the believers and also for the work of the ministry. If a member or a seeker is reading this then praise God! they will get an idea of how powerful the Holy Spirit works in the lives of believers and also the outworking of God's mighty work on the earth. No-one gets the glory because the gifts are given according to the will of God and they are given for his purposes not ours. We are only messengers/ vessels that he uses to do what he has instructed us to do accordingly. To take them out of the equation is to deny his mighty work in us and through us...

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This topic is not about anything that men & women can take credit for. We are testifying about moves of God.

“Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:31 NASB

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Self righteousness which is forever bubbling under the surface need not be placed into a position of pious self elevation.

There is always a danger with this, Quiet, so I regard the occasional reminder of it as a healthy thing.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are only messengers/ vessels that he uses to do what he has instructed us to do accordingly. To take them out of the equation is to deny his mighty work in us and through us...

Then maybe you can help. Last night I posted only that this was an excellent post.

And @Waiting on him posted also asking for self examination of who is actually being promoted ...and both are gone this morning. I’ve been here several years and never had a post taken down? Was it accidental? If not accidental then why were they removed in response to the thread as there was nothing out of the ordinary?

Reactions: Waiting on him

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There is always a danger with this, Quiet, so I regard the occasional reminder of it as a healthy thing.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).

Amen, particularly with those who have gifts but are still young in their christian walk with God and are still growing in grace.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sooo glad to read it was only a glitch. Been here a long time and never had that happen before. It was a little concerning so thank you for clearing up that it was the system.
Me too, I was beginning to think that maybe the system had developed some form of AI, that was incapable of handling scrutiny.