Spiritual Millennialism is not with Satan shut up

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You realize that doesn’t make sense.

If someone is in prison, bound and sealed by God, how can he persecute people but not deceive them?

The idea of being sealed is he is powerless and could do nothing. Allowing him to do anything other than deceive and calling his imprisonment by God, sealed, is not logical.

Either he is sealed and completely powerless or he’s not sealed.

The continuation of the believing Israeli flock, and its morphing into the New Testament congregation, confirmed the expansion of faithful Israel in the new covenant period. It also explains the Israeli identify of the new covenant people of God and demonstrates the sense of continuity that existed between both covenant eras. Gentiles were now to be corralled into faithful Israel in extraordinary numbers. They trusted in Israel’s Messiah, they joined the old covenant flock, and became the New Testament people of God. This was a radical overhaul for even the most open-minded of Christ’s disciples. We saw that in their parochial response to Christ’s kingdom teaching in Acts 1:6 and with their struggle in the book of Acts to come to terms with accommodating Gentiles joining the congregation (ekklesia) on an equal basis to that of Jews.

Jesus brought a radical revolutionary message to the early Jewish disciples. He told them that there are others that are not of this flock (namely not of the Jewish race) that belong to Him, who will be integrated into His sheepfold. He was talking here of the Gentiles. What is more, He describes how these two peoples (both Jews and Gentiles) would be united together in Him and become one flock! Jesus is here acknowledging that salvation would not be limited to the Jewish race. He was predicting that the Gospel would expand out and embrace the nations. He explains that there would then be a fusion of the believing element of both ethnic groups into one cohesive believing sheepfold – with Him as a Shepherd. This indeed happened 2000 years ago.

Christ was informing these Jewish believers that grace was going to be widened outside of Israel’s borders. The Gentiles were about to be brought into the same harmonious fold of grace as the Jewish believers. The mentioning of two groupings within the body didn’t indicate “two folds” any more than references to male and female, rich and poor, free and bond in the New Testament represented multiple folds amongst the people of God. Rather it simply showed the variety of members within the one godly flock. Jewish and Gentile believers in Jesus become one in the Messiah to an extent not seen under the Mosaic Covenant. While Christians may retain their natural identity when they come to Christ (whether that is racial, social standing or gender), these groupings carry no spiritual distinction, special favor or difference religious under the new covenant.

Matthew 4:13-16 records: “leaving Nazareth, he came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the sea coast, in the borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles [Gr. ethnos]; The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.”

In Matthew 12 we see the religious Jews rejecting Christ. Matthew 12:18 & 21 records, “I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles [Gr. ethnos] in his name shall the Gentiles [Gr. ethnos] trust.

Luke 2:30-32 says: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people; A light to lighten the Gentiles [Gr. ethnos], and the glory of thy people Israel."

Christ cameto give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace” (Luke 1:67-79).

The empowerment for the Church came at Pentecost as Christ promised in Acts 1:8. The passage records, ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” This ‘kicked in’ after Pentecost, after the heavenly power to perform such arrived.

Matthew’s account in Matthew 28:19 says, Go ye therefore, and teach all nations [Gr. ethnos], baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.”

The actual point in history that saw the great realization of the Church taking (in obedience with the great commission) the Gospel to, and being received by, the Gentiles occurred after Peter’s supernatural vision in Acts chapter 10. It was only then that the first awakening occurred after Calvary among the Gentiles, who were previously outside of grace.

Whilst it is clear that the disciples were fully aware of the Lord’s great commission to take the Gospel to all nations, and even knew of the powerful devil defeating nature of Christ’s death at Calvary, and had felt (at first hand) the supernatural enabling power of Pentecost for them to undertake such an awesome task, they still hadn’t experientially entered into the outworking of this call prior to Peter’s supernatural revelation.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know that is a ridiculous statement obviously I meant symbolically the term bottomless pit confirms it how could there actually be a bottomless pit?

How could there be a God with no beginning or end? How could there be anything?

The gospel is not represented as a chain and does not belong with satan in the pit.

No Pre-TB

Jan 15, 2022
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
During the Old Testament era, God controlled one single nation whereas Satan controlled the nations (ethnos - the Gentiles) plural.

2 Samuel 7:23-24 says: what one nation in the earth is like thy people, even like Israel, whom God went to redeem for a people to himself, and to make him a name, and to do for you great things and terrible.”

Psalm 135:4 records: “For the LORD hath chosen Jacob unto himself, and Israel for his peculiar treasure.”

Psalm 147:19-20: “He sheweth his word unto Jacob, his statutes and his judgments unto Israel. He hath not dealt so with any nation.”

Amos 3:2 confirms this, saying of Israel: You only have I known of all the families of the earth.”

Salvation was largely kept within the boundaries of one small nation within the Middle East for centuries before the cross. Satan had the rest. The opposite is the case today.

Even during Christ’s earthly ministry, the Gospel had to first go to the Jews. It was largely limited to national Israel. Gentiles were classed as unclean throughout the old covenant ceremonial system. This truth is seen in Matthew 4:8-9 where “the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.”

During the temptations of Christ in the desert, Satan offers Jesus the world if He would only bow down before him. Satan was well within his rights to make such an offer since Adam handed over world dominion to him when he allowed himself to be subject to Satan's will.

The parallel passage in Luke 4:5-7 says: “And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.”

Manifestly, through Adam’s sin, Satan was able to present a legitimate temptation to Christ. The fact the devil had the capability to tempt the Lord with this enticement proves he enjoyed authority over the nations that had to be broken. Ultimately, God permitted Satan to have this authority. But it was Adam that relinquished this rule over the earth in the Fall. After all, this was a definite and a real legitimate temptation. The devil had huge power over this world.

Matthew 4:10 records, “Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.”

The Lord would not win the nations by bowing down to Satan, but by dying on the cross. Christ defeats Satan on the grounds of the Word of God. Christ here quotes Deuteronomy 6:13.

Salvation was largely kept within the boundaries of one small nation within the Middle East for centuries before the cross. Satan had the rest. The opposite is the case today.

Throughout the OT the prophets spoke of "the nations" or "all nations" coming to God at a particular time. The term were interchangeable with the term strangers / heathen and Gentiles.

In Matthew 10:5-6 He commission the disciples with important racial restricts, Go not into the way of the Gentiles ethnos (or), and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

But why? It was still too early for this to happen. The transaction that would eventually defeat the god of the Gentiles – Satan – and unseat him from his unchallenged global reign had still to occur. The cross was central to the curbing of Satan.

What about the story in Matthew 15 where Jesus the coasts of Tyre and Sidon. It says in verse 22, “And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour” (Matthew 15:22-28).

This Gentile woman received the blessing because of her faith and her persistence. She was absolutely determined.

While the earthly ministry of Christ bound Satan, the event that turned things around is repeatedly depicted as the cross. Scripture shows the spiritual curtailing of Satan at the cross. It also depicts the Gentiles generally as being in darkness, bondage and ignorance prior to the cross. However, even though the Gentiles are constantly depicted in Scripture as being in darkness and ignorance before the cross many entered into a personal relationship with God. Just because there were occasional exceptions does not negate these verses. The same is the case in the converse enlightenment. There is no necessity to take this as a wholesale all-inclusive statement.

God controlled one single nation spiritually. Satan controlled the nations plural.

There is no doubt that the Jews were the focus of Christ’s earthly ministry. That situation continued on for a while throughout the book of Acts. But redemption didn’t stop there. His sheep were not limited to the house of Israel. His heart for Israel did not in any way diminish His intention to reach the Gentile nations with salvation. Jesus said prior to the cross, speaking to His Jewish converts, in John 10:14-16, “I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.”
Nothing you posted proves Satan is sealed.
Did Paul or Peter ever say Satan is sealed, he can deceive you no more? Or did Peter say he seeks to devour them? Jesus cannot reign if the Beast reigns and Satan reigns with the beast. Christ destroys their reign, he doesn’t reign concurrently with them. The nations arnt Christ till the 7th Trumpet. This idea of one fold will be complete when the fullness of the gentiles comes in. When completed, he will reign.

Reactions: Davy and ewq1938

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing you posted proves Satan is sealed.
Did Paul or Peter ever say Satan is sealed, he can deceive you no more? Or did Peter say he seeks to devour them? Jesus cannot reign if the Beast reigns and Satan reigns with the beast. Christ destroys their reign, he doesn’t reign concurrently with them. The nations arnt Christ till the 7th Trumpet. This idea of one fold will be complete when the fullness of the gentiles comes in. When completed, he will reign.

You are not getting it. It is not talking about individual deception. It is a generality describing the lifting of the spiritual deception that blinded the Gentiles (ethnos) before the cross. They were in darkness. Until you grasp that you will never understand Revelation 20.

No Pre-TB

Jan 15, 2022
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not getting it. It is not talking about individual deception. It is a generality describing the lifting of the spiritual deception that blinded the Gentiles (ethnos) before the cross. They were in darkness. Until you grasp that you will never understand Revelation 20.
I am getting it. I completely understand what Christ did at the cross and its effect on Satan as well as those once blinded before his death was made. But none of that has to do with sealing Satan. None of it has to do his removal and /or his power over the air. Not only is that refuted, it isn’t taught by Paul, John, James, Peter etc.
Did Satan suffer a spiritual defeat of some kind at the cross? Yes. I don’t know anyone that would disagree. Does that mean he was and continues to be locked away unable to deceive, unable to hunt others to devour them, unable to sway minds, unable to alter the world and drive it more adverse to God, unable to bring out more heresies, unable to persecute the saints? Because all these things continued and grew more so after Christ death till today.

The millennial kingdom with Satan sealed under your impression is:
1. World Wars
2. The Holocaust
3. Nuclear Bombs
4. Assassinations
5. LGBTQIA normalized and expanded
6. Heresies in the Church
7. Christian persecution: Fed to animals, boiled alive, tarred, pulled apart, sawed, bludgeoned, stabbed, stolen land and housing etc
And that is only a few. Arnt we told in the future, the love of many will wax cold. Odd! If Satan is sealed and we are reigning with Christ that love gets colder. It’s easy to say, “ you don’t see it”, or “you can’t understand Rev 20”. Those things mean nothing coming from anyone. It’s not up to me to prove Satan is sealed, it’s up to you and you have to contend with real physical and spiritual issues that have plagued the planet and church; none which have been completely removed.

1 Peter
Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

I imagine it’s quite hard to prowl around and devour when locked away and sealed by God. Just sayin’

No different than Job 1:7
"Where have you come from?" said the LORD to Satan. "From roaming through the earth," he replied, "and walking back and forth in it."

He continues to move about the earth unabated. Or Mark 4:15

Some are like the seeds along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them.

Satan continues to sow tares and to turn those who hear of Christ today back to the world. Satan continues to try and deceive us per 2 Cor 2:11 and we are told to resist him in James 4:7
I don’t need to flee from, resist or be on alert from a devouring lion that is sealed away in prison.

Lastly, The beast of the sea and earth will be thrown into fire. Oddly, Satan isn’t with them until the 1k years are expired. If Satan must be loosed to be concurrent with them, he cannot be sealed, loosed with them in the future, then destroyed if there is a period of time between their punishment and his. Compare Rev 19:20 with Rev 20:10

Reactions: ewq1938

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am getting it. I completely understand what Christ did at the cross and its effect on Satan as well as those once blinded before his death was made. But none of that has to do with sealing Satan. None of it has to do his removal and /or his power over the air. Not only is that refuted, it isn’t taught by Paul, John, James, Peter etc.
Did Satan suffer a spiritual defeat of some kind at the cross? Yes. I don’t know anyone that would disagree. Does that mean he was and continues to be locked away unable to deceive, unable to hunt others to devour them, unable to sway minds, unable to alter the world and drive it more adverse to God, unable to bring out more heresies, unable to persecute the saints? Because all these things continued and grew more so after Christ death till today.

1. World Wars
2. The Holocaust
3. Nuclear Bombs
4. Assassinations
7. Christian persecution: Fed to animals, boiled alive, tarred, pulled apart, sawed, bludgeoned, stabbed, stolen land and housing etc
And that is only a few. Arnt we told in the future, the love of many will wax cold. Odd! If Satan is sealed and we are reigning with Christ that love gets colder. It’s easy to say, “ you don’t see it”, or “you can’t understand Rev 20”. Those things mean nothing coming from anyone. It’s not up to me to prove Satan is sealed, it’s up to you and you have to contend with real physical and spiritual issues that have plagued the planet and church; none which have been completely removed.

1 Peter
Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

I imagine it’s quite hard to prowl around and devour when locked away and sealed by God. Just sayin’

"Where have you come from?" said the LORD to Satan. "From roaming through the earth," he replied, "and walking back and forth in it."

Some are like the seeds along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them.

Satan continues to sow tares and to turn those who hear of Christ today back to the world. Satan continues to try and deceive us per 2 Cor 2:11 and we are told to resist him in James 4:7
I don’t need to flee from, resist or be on alert from a devouring lion that is sealed away in prison.

Lastly, The beast of the sea and earth will be thrown into fire. Oddly, Satan isn’t with them until the 1k years are expired. If Satan must be loosed to be concurrent with them, he cannot be sealed, loosed with them in the future, then destroyed if there is a period of time between their punishment and his. Compare Rev 19:20 with Rev 20:10

You are misunderstanding what Revelation 20 actual says and twisting it to mean something that enjoys zero corroboration anywhere else in Scripture. You are inventing a new doctrine.

What Scripture corroborates the Premillennial interpretation of Revelation 20 that Satan will be bound for a time-span of 1000 years after the Second Advent, then released for a "little season" to deceive the nations, and then destroy them?

There is no other Scripture that teaches this doctrine. Premils force that upon the sacred text.

It is a symbolic passage in the most figurative setting in Scripture. What is more: you have zero corroboration to support a literal interpretation of this metaphoric portrayal.

Is the key mentioned in Rev 20:1 a metal door key?

No.

Is the chain mentioned in Rev 20:1 an iron chain?

No.

Is the dragon in Rev 20:2 a literal physical dragon?

No.

Is the serpent in Rev 20:2 a literal physical serpent?

No.

Is the 1,000 yrs a literal 1,000 yr period?

No.

The abyss is not a geographical place but a spiritual condition of restraint. Please remember demons are spirits. Satan and his minions were injured at the cross, Satan’s head is now bruised. His movement is impaired. He is incapacitated.

Satan is a spiritual being. We are therefore looking in Revelation 20 at spiritual chains and a spiritual prison. The abyss is a spiritual condition. A physical chain and a physical prison will not cut it. The restraint upon him is spiritual. He is like a dog on a chain. A chain does not prevent movement, it limits movement.

Do prisoners have movement within a prison?
Can prisoners hurt?
Can prisoners steal?
Can prisoners kill?
Can prisoners scheme?
Can prisoners commit disorder?

Of course they do.

The wicked are repeatedly depicted in Scripture as being in a prison and being in chains, does that suggest an inability to move?

Of course not!

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. World Wars
2. The Holocaust
3. Nuclear Bombs
4. Assassinations

1 Peter

Rev 20:3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

Why do you insist that the seal in Revelation 20:3 must be literal and physical when all the surrounding symbolism is metaphoric and represents deep spiritual truths? Do you not realize that this is the most figurative location in Scripture? Revelation is written in apocalyptic language. There is a meaning behind the symbols that we are meant to grasp. What is more, if you are going to insist upon a literal meaning, do you believe the seal that is upon the redeemed unto the day of redemption is literal and physical?

The Gentiles in the Old Testament were constantly depicted as being in prison held down by spiritual chains (Psalms 68:6, 107:8-16, 146:7-8 and Isaiah 14:17, 42:6 Isaiah 58:6, 61:1). Did that mean they were in a literal physical prison held down by literal metal chains?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Jesus said Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out but you say that Jesus was tal about the future who should I believe?

Did you even read my post?
You should believe Lord Jesus and HIS TIMELINE. But first you MUST understand what HIS timeline actually is.

And man's interpretation of John 12:31 is according to men's doctrines, not according to what Lord Jesus Himself showed.

Just the FACT that later, in John 14:30 John records Jesus as a saying, "Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of world cometh, and hath nothing in Me," by that Lord Jesus is pointing to after... His being crucified. So IF... what He said in John 12:31 meant the devil was 'bound' by His crucifixion, then He should NOT have said John 14:30. Nor would Apostle Peter have said what he did in 1 Peter 5:8 about Satan walking about seeking whom he may devour.

Furthermore, the Judgment of this 'present' world has NOT happened yet today! And it won't happen until the DAY when Lord Jesus returns!

Thus you are not thinking for yourself, but are just accepting some tradition by men that are guessing about the John 12:31 Scripture.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently, and where does Amill believe the gospel belongs? In the bottomless pit with satan!
What do you mean?

Amill is simply deceived by 2nd century Gnostics. That is when that false Amill doctrine began creeping into the Church in Christian history. The Gnostics of today follow Mysticism and the Occult.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know that is a ridiculous statement obviously I meant symbolically the term bottomless pit confirms it how could there actually be a bottomless pit?
Just because a descriptor like "bottomless pit" is used for the abode of haides which Satan is over in the heavenly dimension doesn't mean that place does not exist. God's Word also calls it a pit prison, and prison house and in darkness. So when God's Word speaks of Satan being bound in chains in the bottomless pit, Satan's pit prison in the heavenly is where it is talking about. And Rev.20:7 confirms this because it tells us he will be loosed after the 1,000 years from "his prison".

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Understanding about the cross and Lord Jesus crucifixion in relation to Satan requires that one first study their Old Testament histories. What was it that Satan was trying to do all the way down to Christ's birth? Satan was trying to destroy... the Seed of the Woman that Christ would be born through, and even after Jesus was born in causing Herod to murder all the firstborn sons of the Jews in hopes that it would include baby Jesus.

In essence, Satan was trying to prevent... Christ's crucifixion, which in Hebrews 2:14 and 1 John 3:8, it tells us Jesus was born in the flesh in order to die on the cross for us to defeat death and the devil for us.

That... is what Christ's death on the cross accomplished. It sealed... Satan's fate, and this present world unto destruction. But that time of destruction is still not yet today, because that is according to God's timeline, not Satan's. Same thing with the time when Satan will be kicked out of the Heavenly dimension down to this earth like Rev.12:7-9 reveals.

And men's doctrines on that are strange too, because even though that Rev.12:7-17 Scripture contains definite markers only for after Christ's death and resurrection, and great tribulation markers for Christians at the end of this world, those men's doctrines still will say that casting out happened when Satan first rebelled in the old world. No, that Rev.12:7-17 casting out is for the very end... of this world, for the coming "great tribulation" time. That is why it includes mention about those of the 5th Seal.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You should believe Lord Jesus and HIS TIMELINE. But first you MUST understand what HIS timeline actually is.

And man's interpretation of John 12:31 is according to men's doctrines, not according to what Lord Jesus Himself showed.

Just the FACT that later, in John 14:30 John records Jesus as a saying, "Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of world cometh, and hath nothing in Me," by that Lord Jesus is pointing to after... His being crucified. So IF... what He said in John 12:31 meant the devil was 'bound' by His crucifixion, then He should NOT have said John 14:30. Nor would Apostle Peter have said what he did in 1 Peter 5:8 about Satan walking about seeking whom he may devour.

Furthermore, the Judgment of this 'present' world has NOT happened yet today! And it won't happen until the DAY when Lord Jesus returns!

Thus you are not thinking for yourself, but are just accepting some tradition by men that are guessing about the John 12:31 Scripture.
No one at my church taught me this but the point is that the gospel frees only those who choose to believe

Satan is bound by the power of the gospel but only to those who choose to accept it that’s why Jesus was warning people

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just because a descriptor like "bottomless pit" is used for the abode of haides which Satan is over in the heavenly dimension doesn't mean that place does not exist. God's Word also calls it a pit prison, and prison house and in darkness. So when God's Word speaks of Satan being bound in chains in the bottomless pit, Satan's pit prison in the heavenly is where it is talking about. And Rev.20:7 confirms this because it tells us he will be loosed after the 1,000 years from "his prison".
The bottomless pit is a spiritual condition

Reactions: WPM

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are misunderstanding what Revelation 20 actual says and twisting it to mean something that enjoys zero corroboration anywhere else in Scripture. You are inventing a new doctrine.

What Scripture corroborates the Premillennial interpretation of Revelation 20 that Satan will be bound for a time-span of 1000 years after the Second Advent, then released for a "little season" to deceive the nations, and then destroy them?

There is no other Scripture that teaches this doctrine. Premils force that upon the sacred text.

It is a symbolic passage in the most figurative setting in Scripture. What is more: you have zero corroboration to support a literal interpretation of this metaphoric portrayal.

Is the key mentioned in Rev 20:1 a metal door key?

No.

Is the chain mentioned in Rev 20:1 an iron chain?

No.

Is the dragon in Rev 20:2 a literal physical dragon?

No.

Is the serpent in Rev 20:2 a literal physical serpent?

No.

Is the 1,000 yrs a literal 1,000 yr period?

No.

The abyss is not a geographical place but a spiritual condition of restraint. Please remember demons are spirits. Satan and his minions were injured at the cross, Satan’s head is now bruised. His movement is impaired. He is incapacitated.

Satan is a spiritual being. We are therefore looking in Revelation 20 at spiritual chains and a spiritual prison. The abyss is a spiritual condition. A physical chain and a physical prison will not cut it. The restraint upon him is spiritual. He is like a dog on a chain. A chain does not prevent movement, it limits movement.

Do prisoners have movement within a prison?
Can prisoners hurt?
Can prisoners steal?
Can prisoners kill?
Can prisoners scheme?
Can prisoners commit disorder?

Of course they do.

The wicked are repeatedly depicted in Scripture as being in a prison and being in chains, does that suggest an inability to move?

Of course not!
How about can there actually be a bottomless pit? Of course not

Last edited:
Reactions: WPM

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How about can there actually be a bottomless pit? Of course not.
Sez you. But the Bible speaks of a bottomless pit (ἄβυσσος ábyssos) seven times in the book of Revelation, and the Bible is the Word of God. People should not imagine that they can figure out everything with their limited intellects and limited knowledge. That is just arrogance. To cast doubt on Scripture is to actually sin.

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Understanding about the cross and Lord Jesus crucifixion in relation to Satan requires that one first study their Old Testament histories. What was it that Satan was trying to do all the way down to Christ's birth? Satan was trying to destroy... the Seed of the Woman that Christ would be born through, and even after Jesus was born in causing Herod to murder all the firstborn sons of the Jews in hopes that it would include baby Jesus.

In essence, Satan was trying to prevent... Christ's crucifixion, which in Hebrews 2:14 and 1 John 3:8, it tells us Jesus was born in the flesh in order to die on the cross for us to defeat death and the devil for us.

That... is what Christ's death on the cross accomplished. It sealed... Satan's fate, and this present world unto destruction. But that time of destruction is still not yet today, because that is according to God's timeline, not Satan's. Same thing with the time when Satan will be kicked out of the Heavenly dimension down to this earth like Rev.12:7-9 reveals.

And men's doctrines on that are strange too, because even though that Rev.12:7-17 Scripture contains definite markers only for after Christ's death and resurrection, and great tribulation markers for Christians at the end of this world, those men's doctrines still will say that casting out happened when Satan first rebelled in the old world. No, that Rev.12:7-17 casting out is for the very end... of this world, for the coming "great tribulation" time. That is why it includes mention about those of the 5th Seal.

Revelation 12 confirms that this victorious scene (described in Revelation 20) relates to Christ’s eternal victory at the cross and His glorious ascent to the throne. A careful comparison of both passages confirms that they closely parallel and perfectly correlate with each other. Revelation 12:9-13 says, speaking of the tremendous ramifications that Calvary had upon Satan, the great dragon was cast out (ballo), that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out (ballo) into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down (ballo), which accused them before our God day and night. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.”

In this reading we have an explicit outline of the nature and standing of the devil prior to his eviction from his accusing seat in heaven. At that time, he “accused” the elect of God in heaven “before our God day and night.” The accused here were overwhelmingly the Israeli believers – the only country privileged on a national scale with the Gospel. On earth, the devil ruled the Gentile nations unchallenged, deceiving “the whole world” (Revelation 12:9). The Gospel influence was completely curtailed among the nations by “the god of this world” (who is Satan) who “blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them” (2 Corinthians 4:4). The door of opportunity was tightly closed to the Gentile people.

Christ uses the same type of language in John 12 as He did in Revelation 12:31-33, when, shortly before the cross, He predicted the historic and eternal downfall of Satan through the cross. Jesus prophesied, now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out (ekballo). And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. This he said, signifying what death he should die (John 12:31-33).

Here again we have another clear confirmation as to the timing of the banishment of Satan. Christ deliberately connects the time of His death to the time when Satan “the prince of this world” would finally be “cast out.” There, He gloriously dethroned Satan from his previous, largely unchallenged, global earthly rule and his place of accusation in heaven. Satan’s movement, liberties and sway on earth and in heaven received a severe blow.

Revelation 20:1-3 states, And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound (deo) him a thousand years, And cast (ballo) him into the abyss and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.”

What is this telling us?

What God has been saying throughout the New Testament.

This whole portrayal seems to correspond with the great battle of the ages that occurred with the earthly life, death and resurrection of Christ 2,000 years when Christ stripped Satan of his previous authority given to him by man. This seems to fit the victorious outworking of this great conflict when Christ assumed “All power ... in heaven and in earth” (Matthew 28:18).

Christ secured absolute victory over Satan and every enemy through His foreordained death, burial and resurrection. He now exercises supreme kingly control. He now holds sovereign power upon God’s eternal throne over all mankind.

What is more, and it is sometimes missed in the text: His assumption to the throne occasioned the gracious liberating of the hitherto blinded nations by the Gospel. The Gentiles that were wholly deceived before the cross have now been enlightened and given an opportunity to experience God’s wonderful covenant of grace that was hitherto shut up to them.

By rejecting this truth Premils miss out on the enormity of Satan's defeat and fail to take a hold of the power that has been delegated to the Church.

These clear and explicit passages rebut the Premil theory on a future binding of Satan and a future imprisoning of him and his minions.

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sez you. But the Bible speaks of a bottomless pit (ἄβυσσος ábyssos) seven times in the book of Revelation, and the Bible is the Word of God. People should imagine that they can figure out everything with their limited intellects and limited knowledge. That is just arrogance. To cast doubt on Scripture is to actually sin.

Says you! Where is it?

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sez you. But the Bible speaks of a bottomless pit (ἄβυσσος ábyssos) seven times in the book of Revelation, and the Bible is the Word of God. People should not imagine that they can figure out everything with their limited intellects and limited knowledge. That is just arrogance. To cast doubt on Scripture is to actually sin.
I’m not casting doubt on the scriptures it’s about what the bottomless pit actually is it’s a spiritual condition

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one at my church taught me this but the point is that the gospel frees only those who choose to believe

Satan is bound by the power of the gospel but only to those who choose to accept it that’s why Jesus was warning people

The gospel frees, not binds. The being bound with a chain is not allowing limited freedom as Amill errantly teaches. The pit imprisons, not allows limited freedom as also Amill errantly teaches.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not casting doubt on the scriptures it’s about what the bottomless pit actually is it’s a spiritual condition

No, it's a physical prison for satan and fallen angels. They cannot physically escape from it. Their spirits also cannot escape from it.