Sports

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It was a killer game to watch with all the emotions, ups and downs.

France is an 'emotional' team anyway, always have been. And shown again when Hugo Lloris saved a penalty shot that would have made it 2-0 in favor of the Swiss. This suddenly awoke the French and temporary amazed the Swiss. It lit a fire up their rears and they acted as world leaders until the flame died after Drogba hit a fantastically guided ball from distance in the upper corner of the net. Nothing really could reignite them again. The Swiss meant business with their endurance and determination throughout, and it paid off.

It was a match for the ages...
And how tense was the penalty shoot-out... Everyone scored but Mbappe missed the last one. He is meant to be the next big thing but had a poor overall tournament

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It used to be no subs a match before I was born. If a player got injured it was bad luck, you had to play with 10 men.

Since I can remember I has been 3 subs.

Then they allowed another sub if the match went into extra time.

This tournament, for the first time, they allowed 5 subs in the 90 minutes. And I think one more in extra time.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Quarter final preview...
From here a teams only needs to survive 3 matches to be crowned the champions of Europe

Switzerland vs Spain
Both teams will be exhausted after playing extra time. It may come down to which team has the stamina and fitness...
I'm picking Spain

Belgium vs Italy
Belgium is FIFA ranked number one in the world, unjustly in my opinion, those rankings mean nothing.
The Azzuri are still favourites in my book

Czech Republic vs Denmark
Two small footballing nations.
I pick Denmark

England vs Ukraine
This will be the first match away from Wembley for the Lions. The heat in Rome might slow the game down like @APAK said
I'm tipping the poms still

Last edited:

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It used to be no subs a match before I was born. If a player got injured it was bad luck, you had to play with 10 men.

Since I can remember I has been 3 subs.

Then they allowed another sub if the match went into extra time.

This tournament, for the first time, they allowed 5 subs in the 90 minutes. And I think one more in extra time.
There must be further rule changes for the extra 30mins then, they substituted 3 players right at the start of that ( Sweden ) I think in the end there was a total of 12 all together. Rita

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Belgium V Italy will be interesting x
I would like to see Denmark go through.

England will also have lost all the fan support in Rome as many are not allowed to travel to Italy because of restrictions Italy have imposed on travel from the U.K. So, only Brits who live in Europe will be allowed at the stadium. …….thankfully it’s an evening match, so it should be a bit cooler x
Rita

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm expecting England to win this upcoming Saturday's game if the Ukraine attempts to play it as they did today, at a low tempo.
It was a weird game to watch !
The problem with England is that they can become complacent if they think it will be an easy match ………
Rita

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There must be further rule changes for the extra 30mins then, they substituted 3 players right at the start of that ( Sweden ) I think in the end there was a total of 12 all together. Rita

Yea 5 during the 90 minutes and one more in extra time...
Sweden would have made only three changes in the 90 minutes allowing them to make another 3 in extra time...

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I didn’t realise this, and I am a Brit , but we haven’t beaten Germany in an international competition since the 1966 World Cup final………..we have beaten them in other matches. I could have sworn the time we beat them 5:1 was in the euros.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was a weird game to watch !
The problem with England is that they can become complacent if they think it will be an easy match ………
Rita
Harry Kane has some fire left for the Saturday match. I wish as the Captain though, Harry would be a little bit more assertive and vocal with his team on the field for my liking. Can't have everything.

Reactions: Rita

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Out of the teams left, there's a good chance a small nation could cause and upset and take the cup.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ehh... Its still long odds in my book

Still though, it only takes a powerhouse to have an off day...

I mean look at the AFL....

Melbourne has an off day to Adelaide and Collingwood.

And even in the A-League, Melbourne City had an off day to Newcastle Jets before the finals.

Upsets do happen.

But you are right, it would take all the giants remaining to have an off game for an underdog to win. Which is unlikely, but in the sense all teams start 0-0, Denmark, Switzerland, Czech and Ukraine all do have a chance at the cup still.

Remember England didn't even score a goal against Scotland in the group stage.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Still though, it only takes a powerhouse to have an off day...

I mean look at the AFL....

Melbourne has an off day to Adelaide and Collingwood.

And even in the A-League, Melbourne City had an off day to Newcastle Jets before the finals.

Upsets do happen.

But you are right, it would take all the giants remaining to have an off game for an underdog to win. Which is unlikely, but in the sense all teams start 0-0, Denmark, Switzerland, Czech and Ukraine all do have a chance at the cup still.

Remember England didn't even score a goal against Scotland in the group stage.

I never said it was impossible. Just long odds in my book... A small country won it last

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Okay @Cristo Rei , @APAK and @Josho …..how could I not log in and comment on the England match.
That was amazing and brilliant to watch…….okay Wednesday might be a bit tougher, but bring it on ‘ it’s not come home yet ‘ but it’s nearer than it’s been since 1966 !!
My youngest had to stay in hospital as the exploratory op revealed he has shattered the nerve in his arm, so they are operating in the morning, taking a nerve from his leg and putting it in his arm. We made sure he had an iPad to watch the match on……he was texting and keeping in the loop as we all watch it here.
My brother would have been coming over to England next week, but sadly restrictions have stopped his trip…would have been great to watch it with him xx
Rita

Reactions: Cristo Rei

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay @Cristo Rei , @APAK and @Josho …..how could I not log in and comment on the England match.
That was amazing and brilliant to watch…….okay Wednesday might be a bit tougher, but bring it on ‘ it’s not come home yet ‘ but it’s nearer than it’s been since 1966 !!
My youngest had to stay in hospital as the exploratory op revealed he has shattered the nerve in his arm, so they are operating in the morning, taking a nerve from his leg and putting it in his arm. We made sure he had an iPad to watch the match on……he was texting and keeping in the loop as we all watch it here.
My brother would have been coming over to England next week, but sadly restrictions have stopped his trip…would have been great to watch it with him xx
Rita
I'm glad for the England win, they deserved it. Ukraine were too predictable. I noticed the Rome pitch was not regulation max width size. Well it looked that way to me. This may have benefited England a bit.

Wow, I hope and pray your youngest has a successful surgery recovery.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Awell.. I thought these games started tonight or Sunday over there... Ah well I'll watch the highlights a bit later on and chip in my 2 cents...

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Strong performance by England.
It's a good time to be hitting form.

England's first goal was the pick of the bunch. That through pass from Sterling was amazing cos he was under pressure being tackled.

Denmark looked dangerous as well even though they conceded. They won't be easy to beat.

Last edited:

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Meanwhile, in South America, the Copa America is down to the semi finals.

Brasil vs Peru

Argentina vs Columbia

Interested to see if Lionel Messi can throw that monkey off his back and finally win a trophy with his nation

Also they have the best football commentators over there. They really hype up the game. I love how they call GOOOL for as long as they can breathe... LoL:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Josho

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Italy win a tense one against Belgium and Spain beat the Swiss in a penalty shootout

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Italy / Spain match is going to be interesting …. Not sure what time it is on tomorrow and I am on a late shift, will try and watch it. Xx