Sports

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
William Ellis was in the 1800s when he made his sport changing move...sorry I gave you that wrong impression...No, the rugby was more docile around 1750 for at least 50-70 years. I think he was a school boy around 1806 ..and you know I cannot google it. because you told me not to.....

Ok... I think it became rough in the 1800s
From memory i thought there was some disagreement about it as well... Iv gone to google to confirm it all and this is what wiki says...

The Reverend William Webb Ellis (24 November 1806 – 24 January 1872) was an English Anglican clergyman and the supposed inventor of rugby football while a pupil at Rugby School. According to legend, Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it during a school football match in 1823, thus creating the "rugby" style of play. Although the story has become firmly entrenched in the sport's folklore, it is not supported by substantive evidence, and is discounted by most rugby historians as an origin myth.

The William Webb Ellis Cup is presented to the winners of the Rugby World Cup.

It goes on to say

The sole source of the story of Webb Ellis picking up the ball originates with one Matthew Bloxam, a local antiquarian and former pupil of Rugby.[2] On 10 October 1876,[11] he wrote to The Meteor, the Rugby School magazine, that he had learnt from an unnamed source that the change from a kicking game to a handling game had "...originated with a town boy or foundationer of the name of Ellis, Webb Ellis".

On 22 December 1880,[11] in another letter to The Meteor, Bloxam elaborates on the story:

A boy of the name Ellis – William Webb Ellis – a town boy and a foundationer, ... whilst playing Bigside at football in that half-year [1823], caught the ball in his arms. This being so, according to the then rules, he ought to have retired back as far as he pleased, without parting with the ball, for the combatants on the opposite side could only advance to the spot where he had caught the ball, and were unable to rush forward till he had either punted it or had placed it for some one else to kick, for it was by means of these placed kicks that most of the goals were in those days kicked, but the moment the ball touched the ground the opposite side might rush on. Ellis, for the first time, disregarded this rule, and on catching the ball, instead of retiring backwards, rushed forwards with the ball in his hands towards the opposite goal, with what result as to the game I know not, neither do I know how this infringement of a well-known rule was followed up, or when it became, as it is now, a standing rule.

Bloxam's first account differed from his second one four years later. In his first letter, in 1876, Bloxham claimed that Webb Ellis committed the act in 1824, a time by which Webb Ellis had left Rugby.[11] In his second letter, in 1880, Bloxham put the year as 1823.

The claim that Webb Ellis invented the game did not surface until four years after his death, and doubts have been raised about the story since 1895, when the Old Rugbeian Society first investigated it. The sub-committee conducting the investigation was "unable to procure any first hand evidence of the occurrence"

So its become a bit of a legend...
Your explanation matches the original account very well so iv given you the points...;)

Reactions: Josho and APAK

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So... Tonight...
World Cup winners France vs Euro Cup winners Portugal

I have faith we will survive the group and qualify one way or another

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Rita Scotland is now out sadly.

So I now hope either Denmark, Sweden or Wales wins it... It would be good to see one of the little guys win it.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Denmark, Sweden, France, Italy, Wales...

Geez, how many countries are u going for

Well I want France to beat Portugal..

But I think I would prefer to see one of the underdogs win the title.

"If" it comes down to the powerhouses being the only teams left though. France or Italy, that's an "if" though. I know it's a stretch but I do have some French ancestry back from the 1600s. And ancestry all the way back to the Vikings on my dad's side, even though it's the Norse side of the Vikings, may as well back our viking neighbours since Norway did not make it. :p

So is that reason enough to back France or Sweden or Denmark?

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well I want France to beat Portugal..

But I think I would prefer to see one of the underdogs win the title.

"If" it comes down to the powerhouses being the only teams left though. France or Italy, that's an "if" though. I know it's a stretch but I do have some French ancestry back from the 1600s. And ancestry all the way back to the Vikings on my dad's side.

So is that reason enough to back France or Sweden or Denmark?

You don't need a reason to back a team...
This is football...

I'm confident we will qualify. Even if it's a draw and we finish 3rd. The two best 3rd places qualify

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Go France!!
You can go off people …France !!! ? Lol
I would rather see England go out against Germany than France.
We ended up watching both the Scotland and England matches last night, ( flicking between the two matches ) I felt sad for Scotland in the end as they haven’t got through to playoffs in over 28years

I will be keeping my eye on both games tonight. England did play better last night, but for all the ‘ footballs coming home chants ‘….I think it is unlikely.
I would still like to see Denmark do well x
Rita

Reactions: Josho

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
France 2 Portugal 2...the first penalty given against France was not a penalty...the goalie fisted the ball out before it extends to the head of the French forward,,IMO

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
France 2 Portugal 2...the first penalty given against France was not a penalty...the goalie fisted the ball out before it extends to the head of the French forward,,IMO
I didn’t see the match, you said ‘ first penalty ‘ ….was there more than one ?

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yep...twee ,,three of them...Ronaldo 2 and Benzama 1 penalty
Wow , three in one match, bet that was an interesting game to watch.

I see England have got Germany on Tuesday ………it’s going to be ‘ one of those nights ‘ when it could be good or very very cringe worthy to watch. Still, as I said earlier, I would rather go out to Germany than France. My Brother may put his England flag up ( he lives in Germany ) ….he gets a lot of ‘ banter ‘ from his neighbour when we lose to Germany !!

Rita

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow , three in one match, bet that was an interesting game to watch.

I see England have got Germany on Tuesday ………it’s going to be ‘ one of those nights ‘ when it could be good or very very cringe worthy to watch. Still, as I said earlier, I would rather go out to Germany than France. My Brother may put his England flag up ( he lives in Germany ) ….he gets a lot of ‘ banter ‘ from his neighbour when we lose to Germany !!

Rita
I really think England has a decent shot at beating Germany, based on Germany's inconsistent lackluster performances...If Muller is on the first team he can be a drag on the German offense. His speed and acceleration have slowed a bit. I believe he works on the left hand side of the field. Who would his England opposite be? Forgot...

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I really think England has a decent shot at beating Germany, based on Germany's inconsistent lackluster performances...If Muller is on the first team he can be a drag on I the German offense. His speed and acceleration have slowed a bit. I believe he works on the left hand side of the field. Who would his England opposite be? Forgot...
I don’t know …Gareth Southgate may alter the squad for this game, also he has a few self isolating due to positive covid. My dad has watched the matches and thought Germany were pretty good, but I haven’t seen any of their matches, so I just presumed he was right.
Rita

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know …Gareth Southgate may alter the squad for this game, also he has a few self isolating due to positive covid. My dad has watched the matches and thought Germany were pretty good, but I haven’t seen any of their matches, so I just presumed he was right.
Rita
Well Germany is 1 1 1 , not the best for them, and the same as Portugal in the standings

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I guess we will have to wait and see…..I do like it when we clash with Germany though, but I hate the next stage as penalties come into play ………..we only got through on those in the World Cup a few years back, we usually fail if it gets to the penalty shoot out.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I guess we will have to wait and see…..I do like it when we clash with Germany though, but I hate the next stage as penalties come into play ………..we only got through on those in the World Cup a few years back, we usually fail if it gets to the penalty shoot out.
Things can change I hope the best for England anyway, because you want it and I do, eventhough I do not living there but being born there.

Reactions: Rita

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The player headed the ball and the keeper blocked it... No penalty in book either... But...
There is head contact and some refs will pay it even though you could say its after the play

Frances penalty was cheap as well. Mbappe just ran into the man. So it evened out... :D

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So then... 16 teams remain... Sudden death football.
In many respects this is were the tournament really begins... No draws, there must be a winner on the day... Extra time and penalties if required...

Wales vs Denmark...
I pick the Danes

Italy vs Austria... I pick the Azzuri.
Favourites to win the comp in my book

Holland vs Czezh Republic... I pick the Oranje.
Good form in the groups

Portugal vs Belgium...
I pick a selecção

Spain vs Croatia... Im picking an upset here...
Croatia. Spain have been unimpressive

France vs Switzerland...
I pick Le Blur

England vs Germany... Match of the round
I pick the three Lions

Sweden vs Ukraine...
I pick the Swedes

Reactions: Rita