• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Scriptures are not the primary expression of the Word on earth.
Possibly the most poignant, and honest statement in this entire thread. The Catholic religion is not a Bible based religion. It is based primarily on man's interpretations. The Catholic Church is like ancient Israel. They have desired, and placed, a king over them to fight their battles and tell them what is truth. KJV Hosea 13:9-10
9 O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself; but in me is thine help.
10 I will be thy king: where is any other that may save thee in all thy cities? and thy judges of whom thou saidst, Give me a king and princes?

All Catholic doctrine is derived, directly or indirectly, from the Holy Bible. There are no contradictions.
Not so. There is no "thus sayeth the Lord" in the sorry mish-mash of liturgy and tradition and practise that has resulted from abandoning scripture as the basis for faith and practise. Your basis is the men, either Pope or magisterium, which overrides scripture teaching as commandments the traditions of men.
Paul makes reference to oral Tradition three times (cf. 2 Tim. 1:13–14; 2:2; 3:14).
But I would suggest that none of those traditions contradict scripture. Unlike Catholic some Catholic traditions that most assuredly do. For example. Sacramental salvation. Sunday so called sacredness. The rosary. The Treasury of merit. Prayers to and for the dead. Idols.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
“The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.” (Jeremiah 23:28)

What is the chaff (tradition of men) to the wheat (word of God)?

I’ll take the wheat, you can have the chaff if you like…
You are assuming the word of God refers only to the written word. The Bible, generally, does not use "word of God" that way. Do a search in any version you like. Here are the results in biblegateway for the phrase "word of God", ESV:
BibleGateway - Keyword Search: "word of God"
"word of God" appears 51 times in the ESV. From that massive stack of Scripture citations, I can't find one where "word of God" refers to the written word alone. How about you look over the list, and be the first to find one.
This proves 2 things:
1) you read into "word of God" what isn't there. It is rarely, if ever, used to mean the written word alone. Until you prove otherwise, you are (unkowingly) abusing Scripture by forcing it to fit a "Bible-alone" agenda.
2) bad mouthing the traditions St. Paul instructs us to keep does violence to the Scriptures. They are not "traditions of men". We know there are bad traditions we must avoid, and good ones we must follow, as Paul repeatedly tells us. Labelling all tradition as chaff or traditions of men is an insult to Paul's teaching.
Heresy springs forth from “indirect” doctrines not found expressly taught in scripture. The Hail Mary prayer is one of those superfluous indirect false doctrines.
Heresy is defined as a post-baptismal denial of a revealed truth. Every authentic belief and practice must be expressed in Scripture to be trustworthy is not found anywhere in Scripture. It's a man made tradition. There is not one verse in the Bible that declares such a thing. It's an ideology that damages Scripture. Abuse of the phrase "word of God" is an example, as explained in detail above.

A detailed scriptural defense of the Hail Mary prayer was given to you by @Marymog pg. 29, post# 571 and you ran from it. A prayer is not a doctrine. This proves you have no business correcting Catholicism when you don't know the difference between a prayer and a doctrine. "superfluous indirect false doctrines" is a stupid unChristian vile insult, unbecoming of anyone claiming to be a Christian. You ignored post #571, don't think you can dismiss it with such an emotional, baseless flaming zinger.
Furthermore, anti-Mary Christians like you are busy covering up what your own reformers taught about Mary, using fad theology of the 18th century, as if you had a valid argument.
When the church began in Paul’s day there was not a complete New Testament. So naturally Apostles and Teachers were more necessary then. Now we have the complete teaching in our Holy Bibles.
If that were true, there would be only one Protestant denomination. For example, Bible-alone Christians can't agree amongst themselves whether or not Baptism is a foundational, essential doctrine. So much for your "complete teaching". The Bible does not give explicit details on how baptism is performed. We know, because we don't reject 1st century post-biblical documents describing it.
“Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.” (2 Timothy 1:13-14)
which thou hast heard of me, not what thou hast read of me. You can't see the forest for the trees.

Everything Paul spoke was written in his epistles.
No, it is not. That's as dumb as claiming Paul read from a New Testament.
1 Cor. 5:9-11 – this verse shows that a prior letter written to Corinth is equally authoritative but not part of the New Testament canon. Paul is again appealing to a source outside of Scripture to teach the Corinthians. This disproves Scripture alone.
1 Cor. 11:2 – Paul commends the faithful to obey apostolic tradition, and not Scripture alone.
Phil. 4:9 – Paul says that what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, do. There is nothing ever about obeying Scripture alone.
Col. 4:16 – this verse shows that a prior letter written to Laodicea is equally authoritative but not part of the New Testament canon. Paul once again appeals to a source outside of the Bible to teach about the Word of God.
1 Thess. 2:13 – Paul says, “when you received the word of God, which you heard from us..” How can the Bible be teaching first century Christians that only the Bible is their infallible source of teaching if, at the same time, oral revelation was being given to them as well? Protestants can’t claim that there is one authority (Bible) while allowing two sources of authority (Bible and oral revelation).
2 Thess 3:6 – Paul instructs us to obey apostolic tradition. There is no instruction in the Scriptures about obeying the Bible alone (the word “Bible” is not even in the Bible).
The doctrines are complete in the New Testament. No more Pastors and Teachers are needed. And when they are needed (were access to the written word is obstructed), their service ends at some point, it’s not perpetual:

“And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.” (Ephesians 4:11-14)
No …the Christian believer is equipped, built up, brought into unity and mature manhood, and even preserved from doctrinal confusion by means of the word of God and those who preach it!
Really? Ephesians 4 makes no mention of Scripture alone or the word of God. It clearly says the Church +Scripture is necessary for sound teaching. Do you bother to read your own scripture quotes?
Wow, what power that must be! To teach extra biblical doctrines and to train the people to think that their “church” organization is equal to the Bible in authority!
A fear mongering myth. The historic Church has never claimed that it is teachings are equal to the bible in authority, and there is no such thing as an extra-biblical doctrine. You never name them to begin with. The BIBLICAL rule of faith is the Teaching authority of the Church, Scripture and Tradition, all working in harmony. In fact, the authority of Scripture is a Sacred Tradition.
And I am not a Protestant.
You sure do a lot of protesting for a non-Protestant.
I am a Bible believing Christian!
In other words, you believe the Church came from the Bible, and not the other way around.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: EloyCraft

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the church began in Paul’s day there was not a complete New Testament. So naturally Apostles and Teachers were more necessary then. Now we have the complete teaching in our Holy Bibles.
You have the complete teaching in your Holy Bible.
Following that logic to it's end. There is a day coming when the Church will be unnecessary. Preachers will be unnecessary. The Bible does everything that the Church could do. Every Christian who reads the bible will have the gift of infallible understanding. Peter taught that interpreting Scripture is not for an individual Christian to do. Now Bible interpretation is for the individual Christian . Because the teaching is complete all Christians receive the same teaching infallibly when the bible is read.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know it was not opinion.
Lol....OK!

Opinion defined: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter
belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a day coming when the Church will be unnecessary.

The scripture says that in the last days, before the Antichrist comes, that there would be a falling away (2 Thessalonians 2:3). The wicked (including false Christian teachers/believers) will continue to outnumber the true remnant. And the Lord said that these days will be like the days of Noah (Matthew 24:37): there were only 8 people saved in Noah’s days! There was no godly assembly then. It’s more and more like those days today. And will continue to get worse. This is why the Lord said few find the true way (Matthew 7:14).

Every Christian who reads the bible will have the gift of infallible understanding

Sure.

Do you need infallible understanding to follow daily instructions in life? No.

You just need UNDERSTANDING!

“Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.” (Psalms 119:34)

No where in scripture is “infallible” understanding taught. It’s just an invention of men.

“Infallible” understanding is just a crafty way to get a weak Christian to succumb to your controlling tactics. Are you an official in the Catholic Church? Because you are good at this stuff!

Peter taught that interpreting Scripture is not for an individual Christian to do.

No.

He taught:

“…that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” (2 Peter 1:20)

When you deny the truth and bring in heresy, that is what “private interpretations” are. Ironically, you are the one trying to seduce me into your church’s private interpretations!

Teaching the Hail Mary prayer is a private interpretation!!

Last edited:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "Hail Mary" is based on Scripture:

1. Hail Mary, full of Grace Luke 1:28 (Hail, full of Grace) The Angel Gabriel greets Mary with very respectful greeting used for royalty. The text doesn’t say “Mary” after Hail but it is implied. Gabriel then proclaims Mary full of Grace (full of God’s own life and love)
2. The Lord is with You Luke 1:28 (The Lord is with you) This is word for word. The Angel Gabriel said that the Lord is with Mary; she is full of his Grace, his own life. h
3. Blessed are you among Women Luke 1:41 (Blessed are you among women) Elizabeth is filled with the Holy Spirit; she is inspired by the 3rd person of the Blessed Trinity to proclaim that Mary is the most blessed among all women.
4. And Blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus Luke 1:42 (and blessed is the fruit of your womb) Elizabeth still inspired by the Holy Spirit proclaims that the fruit of Mary’s womb, the developing Jesus, is blessed. The text doesn’t say “Jesus” after womb, but it is implied, the fruit of her womb is Jesus.
5. Holy Mary, Mother of God Luke 1:43 (And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?) Mary is full of God’s grace; this would make her holy. Mary is the mother of the Lord Jesus Christ who is the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity. Since Jesus is God this makes her the mother of God. She is the mother of the God-Man Jesus, not the mother of the Trinity.
6. Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death James 5:16 (Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects) James tells Christians to pray for one another. All the baptized are members of the body of Christ (1Cor 12:12-14), therefore it is right to pray for other members of the body. James goes on to say that the prayers of the righteous have great power. What human (other then Jesus) is more righteous then the Blessed Mother. Though she is in heaven she still hears the prayers of her children on Earth and intercedes for them.

Do you have a problem with repeating Scripture?

I must have missed this post regarding the Hail Mary prayer.

We are not told to pray that prayer anywhere in scripture. You are just reading a narrative in scripture and turning it into a doctrine.

You never see an Apostle praying that prayer in scripture nor even concluding an epistle with mentioning anything about Mary.

It’s one of those “indirect” extra biblical doctrines of your “church”.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Marymog ?

Care to answer?
The Hail Mary, which is a repeating of words from Scripture, is "a thing" from YOUR Christian history. It has been around for over 1,000 years which is twice as long as your Protestant forefathers.

If a person chooses to say the "Hail Mary" (it is not required for a Catholic to say it pray it) they are repeating words from Scripture.

WHY do you have a problem with a person saying/repeating/thinking about words from Scripture?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must have missed this post regarding the Hail Mary prayer.

We are not told to pray that prayer anywhere in scripture. You are just reading a narrative in scripture and turning it into a doctrine.

You never see an Apostle praying that prayer in scripture nor even concluding an epistle with mentioning anything about Mary.

It’s one of those “indirect” extra biblical doctrines of your “church”.
LOL...No Problem. I actually just responded to another post of yours that may help.

It is NOT a "doctrine" of The Church.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome Dropship. You get your doctrine from Matthew, Mark, Luke and John! And, as you stated before, no one in your group ever disagrees with each other. That is ever more awesome!!!
I am assuming you and your chums practice what Jesus said in John 6:54-58. Soooo how do you and your chums practice Jesus words in those passages?

Yes, we non-denoms are free from any church doctrine because we prefer to think for ourselves..:)
Regarding this passage which you referred me to-
“Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.."
it's metaphorical only, and simply means we should mindmeld with Jesus to become one with him..:)

rel-jes-mindmeld.jpg

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Open thine eyes!

27Now you are the body of Christ, and each of you is a member of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, and those with gifts of healing, helping, administration, and various tongues. 1 Corinthians 12:27-28
The church is the body of Christ and each of us who believe is a member of it, the body of Christ, the church. The church is not an organization of doctrinal beliefs and practices.
Oh goodness Ferris. You ask me to open my eyes. All I am asking you to do is open Scripture.

We, just like Scripture says, are all members of the church! If a member of the church sins against us we are to go and point out the fault when the two of us are alone. If that member of the church listens to you, you have regained that one. But if you are not listened to, take one or two other members of the church along with you, so that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If the member of the church refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if the offender refuses to listen even to the church, let such a one be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. So please tell me Ferris. In that scenario and using your theory, that EVERYONE is a member of the church, which member of the church decides when another member of the church is to be treated as a Gentile and tax collector (ex-communicated)?

Once again, using your theory, which member of the church is the pillar and foundation of truth spoken of in 1 Timothy 3:15?

Jesus said, on this rock I will build my church and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. Using your theory, which church member(s) will Hades not prevail against?

And one last thing. You really should open your eyes and read the passages surrounding what you partially quoted so you get a better understanding of what Scripture is trying to tell you: vs25 that there may be no dissension within the body. So please do tell me Ferris. If there is to be no dissension in the body (the church), how is that accomplished?

Curious Mary

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we non-denoms are free from any church doctrine because we prefer to think for ourselves..:)
Regarding this passage which you referred me to-
“Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.."
it's metaphorical only, and simply means we should mindmeld with Jesus to become one with him..:)

View attachment 24046
Lol....Your men have taught Jesus meant that you should "mindmeld" with Him when he said you must eat his flesh and drink his blood???? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O Oh goodness.....

Thank you for your time.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Lol....Your men have taught Jesus meant that you should "mindmeld" with Him when he said you must eat his flesh and drink his blood???? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O Oh goodness.....
Thank you for your time.

I presume you're a catholic? If you mean taking a swig of wine and eating a cookie is going to make you feel closer to Jesus, go ahead.
We non-denoms avoid all that symbolic ritual razzmatazz..:)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I presume you're a catholic? If you mean taking a swig of wine and eating a cookie is going to make you feel closer to Jesus, go ahead.
We non-denoms avoid all that symbolic ritual razzmatazz..:)
There is nothing symbolic about doing what he told you to do! That is what your men have taught you. Jesus nor the Apostles taught you that.

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure.

Do you need infallible understanding to follow daily instructions in life? No.

You just need UNDERSTANDING!
If what is being understood is like Sacred Scripture then yes the ability to understand infallibly is necessary
Why deliver Truth free of error without the ability to receive truth free of error?

No where in scripture is “infallible” understanding taught. It’s just an invention of men.
If that were true no one would understand Scripture to be inerrant. In fact if that were true the very idea of innerrant truth would be inconceivable.
It's not an intellectual concoction designed for power over others. I know because no one taught me that and I know it's not concocted for nefarious reasons.

Why would eternal truth enter time and history temporarily?

…that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” (2 Peter 1:20)
That means the Church alone is the interpreter of Scripture. No splinter group or individual.

When you deny the truth and bring in heresy, that is what “private interpretations” are. Ironically, you are the one trying to seduce me into your church’s private interpretations!
No, that can't be because private revelation is sometimes true. The primary safeguard against heresy is to never accept understanding that requires that something always believed be no longer believed or visa versa.

Teaching the Hail Mary prayer is a private interpretation!!
it is a private revelation after all. It must be approved by the Church.
Is there some reason you think the Hail Mary violates Scripture?

Last edited:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If what is being understood is like Sacred Scripture then yes the ability to understand infallibly is necessary
Why deliver Truth free of error without the ability to receive truth free of error?

If that were true no one would understand Scripture to be inerrant. In fact if that were true the very idea of innerrant truth would be inconceivable.
It's not an intellectual concoction designed for power over others. I know because no one taught me that and I know it's not concocted for nefarious reasons.

Why would eternal truth enter time and history temporarily?

That means the Church alone is the interpreter of Scripture. No splinter group or individual.

No, that can't be because private revelation is sometimes true. The primary safeguard against heresy is to never accept understanding that requires that something always believed be no longer believed or visa versa.

it is a private revelation after all. It must be approved by the Church.
[

This conversation is absurd.

Do you really need your church to tell you what sin is?

You can’t read the Bible yourself and learn from the scriptures what sin is?

What holiness is compared to wickedness?

What the gospel is?

How to be saved?

You can’t read your Bible yourself and learn these things without a man dressed up in a fancy outfit telling you?

The Bible is a book about God telling man how to behave himself! How to avoid the pitfalls of life, how to avoid the damnation of hell!

What is it about these things that has you so perplexed that you need some man to explain them to you?

The only things in scripture that needed revelation and explaining were all the things in the Old Testament concerning the Messiah, Jesus Christ the Lord!

All else is straight forward if you have a willing heart and an obedient ear!

Men always want to complicate things by allowing his carnal reasonings to come into play.

God prefers you obey him and walk righteously than to do vain worship rituals:

“I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.” (Amos 5:21-24)

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm Catholic but that is because I read the Bible myself and what I learned is taught by the Catholic Church.

That’s bizarre.

I read the Bible 3-4 times a year and still see no justification for most of what the Roman Catholic Church does and teaches.

It all looks like a circus to me…

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Hail Mary, which is a repeating of words from Scripture, is "a thing" from YOUR Christian history. It has been around for over 1,000 years which is twice as long as your Protestant forefathers.

If a person chooses to say the "Hail Mary" (it is not required for a Catholic to say it pray it) they are repeating words from Scripture.

WHY do you have a problem with a person saying/repeating/thinking about words from Scripture?
Because the manner in which those 'words from scripture' is formulated is in the form of a prayer to a dead person. Since when has such a practise been 'biblical', and since when do Catholics defend their traditions by referencing scripture? I thought the infallible word of the king trumped scripture to form tradition. Why not just admit the fact that catholicism is not a biblical religion. It's a man made religion based on tradition. Which makes it a non Christian religion. Jesus never said, in any of His teachings, it is said. He said, it is written.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
sola-scriptura.png

a circus indeed.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the manner in which those 'words from scripture' is formulated is in the form of a prayer to a dead person. Since when has such a practise been 'biblical', and since when do Catholics defend their traditions by referencing scripture? I thought the infallible word of the king trumped scripture to form tradition. Why not just admit the fact that catholicism is not a biblical religion. It's a man made religion based on tradition. Which makes it a non Christian religion. Jesus never said, in any of His teachings, it is said. He said, it is written.
Thanks for your opinion.