Striving to be Christ-like

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Shalom,

Must one strive to be like Christ, or is it enough to just believe in him?

Thanks,
Elysian

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom,

Thanks,
Elysian

We need to strive through surrender to His justification and sanctification - His transformation and redemption. Obedience is loving God and neighbor.

Marta

Mar 29, 2011
Hi Elysian. I'm having a real struggle with that very thing in my life. I know the basic commandments, like all of us here do, but I often find myself wondering if I've done the right thing or made the best decision in whatever the particular situation is. :unsure:

I think we should strive to do things that we know the Lord would approve of, things like visiting the sick, feeding the hungry, being kind to everyone and helping people when we can, etc. And I agree with Aspen that "Obedience is loving God and neighbor.".

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Shalom,

Thanks,
Elysian

By faith we have access to victory. To remain where this victory is, in Christ, we must add to our faith...

Believing in him? Only enough if it means believing INTO him. This type of faith brings one to conformity to Christ by the Spirit. Then adding the character of Christ makes us able to abide (patience, humility, endurance, love, etc).

Striving in our own strength can result in a form of righteousness, but not being transformed into the image of Christ... And believing in him is fruitless if it is not the type of faith that believes that God can do all things, and subsequently WALKS by faith...

So we must first believe INTO him, and then also conform our character to his, that we may be able to abide in him.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Hebrews 12:14 Declares that without holiness no man shall see the Lord. We must grow in Christ likeness and holiness. How can man or even yourslef know that you are of Christ if you do not live out the morals, values, power and lifestyle that Jesus did. Holiness is not what do I stop doing but what I stop from destroying and eating at me! Holiness is God just as much as love is. Why not take the wholistic being and life of God. God will sanctify you holy wholly!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Shalom,

Thanks,
Elysian
No, it is not enough to just believe in Christ, we want to be like Christ. We don't however have to strive to be like Him..Alll we have to do is spend time with Him in His Word, be intimate with Him, meditate on Him, Praise and Worship Him and before you know it, you will be becoming like Him more and more. Just Worship and obey ...and the Holy Spirit is always there to hellp you.

Reactions: Redeemed86

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Shalom,

Thanks,
Elysian

I'll let Christ answer that question for you:

All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
No, it is not enough to just believe in Christ, we want to be like Christ. We don't however have to strive to be like Him..Alll we have to do is spend time with Him in His Word, be intimate with Him, meditate on Him, Praise and Worship Him and before you know it, you will be becoming like Him more and more. Just Worship and obey ...and the Holy Spirit is always there to hellp you.

Amen and Amen