Sucky Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
I am going through a phase of judging myself and others around me. Join me
smile.png
!

Are you a sucky Christian? We think we pass but we actually FAIL at Christianity.

- If I had to harass and tease you. How long before you smack me? 1 hour, 10 hours = 0/10 Christianity. Jesus is longsuffering.
- Ever boasted about how you caught and beat up a thief? Had your kickboxing skills pay off = 0/10 Christianity. Jesus says we must give the thief what he took and more.
- Cursed and insulted someone who crashed their car into yours? 0/10 Christianity. Jesus says your car belongs to Him.
- Horde all your free time to do what pleases you? Craved vengeance? Refuse to help someone you don't like? = 0/10 Christianity.

Christianity 101 is laying our lives down for one another. Just as Jesus laid His down. Many of us don't grasp or forget what that means. Laying down our lives = allowing others to trample on us.

Doing unto others as we want done unto us = If two people are in the desert with one glass of water, the Christian goes thirsty!

Matt 10:39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

I fail on many things. I horde my time. I refuse to help bosses I don't like. I want to kill the person who cuts me off on the road. That all = Christianity FAIL.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll join you! It is better to judge ourselves before He gets to us. But the things you pointed out are right on. I find myself having to bite my tongue, rethink yelling at the guy who cut me off and understanding that the boss who upsets me is not worth me getting fired up. Or fired. It is good to do a self check. I have a history of trampling over people to get what I want. This is the biggest one for me to overcome. I have asked the Holy Spirit to help me with that one. That is one of the big marriage killers that I didn't check in time. There are a lot of those things with me that Christ and I are working on together.

Reactions: KingJ

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi KingJ, I think you're being a little hard on yourself. While an inspection of our inner self is a good thing, if we concentrate on where we miss the mark without remembering how far Christ has brought us, it doesn't do us any good. Just the fact that you're even aware of your short comings means you're NOT failing at Christianity. Failing would mean you have given up hope and become apostate. If a child that is learning to walk, stumbles and falls, is he "failing" at being a child? Of course not! We will never acheive perfection this side of Glory, but we must keep trying. It is in the journey and our failures along the way, that helps us to grow. If we never fail than we can't appreciate the victories that come into our lives. Remember, it's not the fact that we will miss the mark that is important. We have the way of forgiveness for those times. What is important, is that we are trying to stay on target in the first place.

Reactions: Born_Again

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Trekson said:
Hi KingJ, I think you're being a little hard on yourself. While an inspection of our inner self is a good thing, if we concentrate on where we miss the mark without remembering how far Christ has brought us, it doesn't do us any good. Just the fact that you're even aware of your short comings means you're NOT failing at Christianity. Failing would mean you have given up hope and become apostate. If a child that is learning to walk, stumbles and falls, is he "failing" at being a child? Of course not! We will never acheive perfection this side of Glory, but we must keep trying. It is in the journey and our failures along the way, that helps us to grow. If we never fail than we can't appreciate the victories that come into our lives. Remember, it's not the fact that we will miss the mark that is important. We have the way of forgiveness for those times. What is important, is that we are trying to stay on target in the first place.
Amen, I agree. Hating sin > doing sin Rom 7:15.

I am just noticing how far I am sliding from that mark. The need to prune myself. Then I notice the Christians around me :ph34r:.

One Christian asked about his tenant. The tenant paid late last month and never paid this month. The tenant lied on his application. He is an ex con. The guy is just trying to rehabilitate and make it in this difficult world. So what advice would we all give?

Logic = get them out now while there is a breach as the law protects them.
Christian = let him rent free / no interest or back-charges until he has a reliable income.

The reality that many times we simply are not Christians needs to smack us hard in the face!

Born_Again said:
I'll join you! It is better to judge ourselves before He gets to us.
Amen lol.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi KingJ, I think you're putting too high of a standard on what it means to act as a christian. It does NOT mean that we are to let the world roll over us or open ourselves to abuse or not to fight back when we are wronged. You made this statement: "Jesus says we must give the thief what he took and more."
The answer to that is yes and no. We must look at the context. What was stolen? A coat. Why? The thief was cold. If a man steals to acheive basic needs like clothes, food, water, etc. then if we are able, we should help them out, that is why Christ said to give them our cloak (inner coat) as well.

However, that is certainly not saying that we should open ourselves up to be stolen from all the time. What do you think this verse means? Matt. 10:16 - "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." So are we to kill the thief? Absolutely not, however, I do believe we have the right to defend ourselves and family if our lives are in danger. The point is to NOT be stupid enough to be in the position by carelessness to be robbed in the first place.

So, is it unchristian to evict someone for not paying the rent? No! Just because someone falls into hard circumstances, because of their past choices, does not mean we are obligated to be taken advantage of. If an arrangement can be made where the con can work off his debt, in an effort to help him, fine, but if he is unwilling, then we are not under a "christian" obligation to suffer loss. Every circumstance like this is unique but if one feels that, they are "called" to be a carpet to be walked all over, then they're just being foolhardy.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Trekson said:
Hi KingJ, I think you're putting too high of a standard on what it means to act as a christian. It does NOT mean that we are to let the world roll over us or open ourselves to abuse or not to fight back when we are wronged. You made this statement: "Jesus says we must give the thief what he took and more."
The answer to that is yes and no. We must look at the context. What was stolen? A coat. Why? The thief was cold. If a man steals to acheive basic needs like clothes, food, water, etc. then if we are able, we should help them out, that is why Christ said to give them our cloak (inner coat) as well.

However, that is certainly not saying that we should open ourselves up to be stolen from all the time. What do you think this verse means? Matt. 10:16 - "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." So are we to kill the thief? Absolutely not, however, I do believe we have the right to defend ourselves and family if our lives are in danger. The point is to NOT be stupid enough to be in the position by carelessness to be robbed in the first place.

So, is it unchristian to evict someone for not paying the rent? No! Just because someone falls into hard circumstances, because of their past choices, does not mean we are obligated to be taken advantage of. If an arrangement can be made where the con can work off his debt, in an effort to help him, fine, but if he is unwilling, then we are not under a "christian" obligation to suffer loss. Every circumstance like this is unique but if one feels that, they are "called" to be a carpet to be walked all over, then they're just being foolhardy.
Yes :) , We must not cast pearl before swine / must be wise as a serpent.

We must love + not be stupid. But it is that love thing we all fail at. Christian love = best case scenario of doing unto others as we want done unto us.

Example: My child's rapist. I must be preemptive with security, I must guard my kids from him and try my best to get him to prison. But then I must love him. Love him = visiting him in prison and making sure he has enough cigarettes. Is not himself being raped. Look after his family and finances.

Lets jump properly on that rental arrangement. Let's say 'you' were the ex con. What would you want from me (best case scenario) ? Would you not love it if I offered you rent free for a year until you have enough savings to buy car, household items, avoid crime and get wife and kids back? Would you not convert to Christianity if you saw this love plus / extreme self sacrifice from me?

We often write off the evil as lost and beyond help. Or we get too defensive of self and protective of assets we received from God. Our lives are not our lives. Our assets are not our assets. We should err on the side of being trampled over defensive as God has our backs / wants us to ''lose'' our lives to find them.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Fortunately, we don't have to think about scenarios and personal actions ahead of time. As we walk in the Spirit, God will lead us to do His will, whether people agree with our actions (or lack of actions) or not. Many times, Jesus could have been accused of "not doing enough", with all the needy people around Him. The "need" was not His will, but rather His Father's voice was His will. "I always say what my Father is saying and do what my Father is doing", If you don't agree with what Jesus did or did not do (as the case may be), you could blame it on His Father.

Rom_14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Reactions: justaname

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
cristianprince67 said:
I'm new to Christianity so I don't know if I'm a sucky Christian yet lol
A quick example of a sucky Christian is Sister Bertha Better than You who goes to Church every Sunday, decorates her house in everything Christ, but will not be as Christ in her walk. She judges others, speaks ill of people, and hides behind the cross. Not a good example, but an example.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Axehead said:
Fortunately, we don't have to think about scenarios and personal actions ahead of time. As we walk in the Spirit, God will lead us to do His will, whether people agree with our actions (or lack of actions) or not. Many times, Jesus could have been accused of "not doing enough", with all the needy people around Him. The "need" was not His will, but rather His Father's voice was His will. "I always say what my Father is saying and do what my Father is doing", If you don't agree with what Jesus did or did not do (as the case may be), you could blame it on His Father.

Rom_14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
Jesus laid His life down for everyone. God puts us where He wants us. Instructions to us are dead simple. We are to lay our lives down for those around us. If we spiritualize it too much, we end up doing nothing / becoming proud. ''God did not lead me to help you and you'' = crap. If they are in our lives, guess what.

The 'only' factors are 1. casting pearl before swine and 2. self defense. We can only know in time if those around us are as swine. Self defense is a no brainer. We are to protect and help the weak too. However protecting the weak is not an excuse for hating / not laying our lives down for the enemy.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
KingJ said:
Jesus laid His life down for everyone. God puts us where He wants us. Instructions to us are dead simple. We are to lay our lives down for those around us. If we spiritualize it too much, we end up doing nothing / becoming proud. ''God did not lead me to help you and you'' = crap. If they are in our lives, guess what.

The 'only' factors are 1. casting pearl before swine and 2. self defense. We can only know in time if those around us are as swine. Self defense is a no brainer. We are to protect and help the weak too. However protecting the weak is not an excuse for hating / not laying our lives down for the enemy.
We never arrive at the point where we can tell Jesus: "Ok, Jesus, I read the book, I see how it is done and I will take it from here". That is exactly the problem today with Christianity. The "Centrality of Christ" is only an interesting concept and a nice phrase, today. Our ontological identity with Christ is relational and we don't know how to respond before hand in every circumstance otherwise we would not need Christ.

Reactions: Born_Again

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Axehead said:
We never arrive at the point where we can tell Jesus: "Ok, Jesus, I read the book, I see how it is done and I will take it from here". That is exactly the problem today with Christianity. The "Centrality of Christ" is only an interesting concept and a nice phrase, today. Our ontological identity with Christ is relational and we don't know how to respond before hand in every circumstance otherwise we would not need Christ.
Hehe I agree 100% with you on the underlined :D.

Jem8990

Dec 31, 2014
I think each person can find their own journey, whether that come off as sucky thats another story.

My opinion is, God gave us a choice. So we can fail, grow, learn and become better christians.

But i think the journey is the most important.

pastorpadron

Mar 11, 2015
[SIZE=medium]I have discovered this principle of life–that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin (Romans 7:21-25, NLT).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Here in Boston we have had on the snowiest winters in history. A couple weeks ago I spent some time raking snow off one this one section of roof on the back of my house that seemed to just be a magnet for the stuff. I’m sure it would have been hilarious to watch… Dan up to his waist in snow with an 18 foot roof rake trying to get the snow off the roof whilst at the same time trying to keep from falling over or sinking deeper into the drifts.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]After half an hour, I had had enough. There was still a lot of snow on the roof I was trying to clear. I was not all that happy with the results, it did not look like I had accomplished much. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]But then I looked down at the doorway I had come out of (which was under the roof I was clearing) and realized that there was now 2-3 feet of snow in front of it! I was amazed! While the roof still had a lot of snow on it, a ton of snow had been removed from it…enough in fact to make me wonder how I was going to get back inside…but I digress…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Sometimes we can feel like we are making precious little headway in our relationship with God. The more we work at raking away pride, fear, and selfishness from our lives the more work there seems to be. If all we do is look at what still needs done we are almost certainly going to sink into the temptation of being overwhelmed, exhausted, and frustrated because we are not where we wanted, hoped, or expected to be. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]But if we change perspective, we can see that this work that the Holy Spirit has us doing with Him has not been in vain. If we look we might realize that while we are not where we want to be yet, we are definitely not where we were. Much has changed. Much has been removed. To quote my friend Charlie Jones, “I’m not what I think I am, I’m not what I hoped I’d be, nor am I what I ought to be, but by the grace of God I’m not what I was.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The reality is the snow of sin is not going to stop falling and gathering on the roof of my soul this side of heaven. Grace promises that in Jesus all the snow has been dealt with and forgiven, and because of that I don’t need to be discouraged about it. Looking at the roof reminds me how much I need His grace; that I am not enough (Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?). Looking at what He has cleared from my roof reminds me that His grace is effective (Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord); that in Him I will always have enough.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]That is my take on the sucky Christian thing. =)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Grace,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Dan[/SIZE]

JohnP

Mar 4, 2015
Michigan, USA
That was a great response, Dan. I really related with the snow analogy (as one who owns a roof rake myself and is familiar with the frustration). I get so frustrated with myself sometimes, because I sin even when I don't want to, and I have to stop and remind myself that even Paul had this problem -

"For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me." (Romans 7:19-20)

"Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I of myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin." (Romans 7:25)

I find the comfort for this dilemma in Romans 8:10 - "But if Christ is in you, although your bodies are dead because of sin, your spirits are alive because of righteousness."

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
KingJ said:
I am going through a phase of judging myself and others around me. Join me
smile.png
!

Are you a sucky Christian? We think we pass but we actually FAIL at Christianity.

- If I had to harass and tease you. How long before you smack me? 1 hour, 10 hours = 0/10 Christianity. Jesus is longsuffering.
- Ever boasted about how you caught and beat up a thief? Had your kickboxing skills pay off = 0/10 Christianity. Jesus says we must give the thief what he took and more.
- Cursed and insulted someone who crashed their car into yours? 0/10 Christianity. Jesus says your car belongs to Him.
- Horde all your free time to do what pleases you? Craved vengeance? Refuse to help someone you don't like? = 0/10 Christianity.

Christianity 101 is laying our lives down for one another. Just as Jesus laid His down. Many of us don't grasp or forget what that means. Laying down our lives = allowing others to trample on us.

Doing unto others as we want done unto us = If two people are in the desert with one glass of water, the Christian goes thirsty!

Matt 10:39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

I fail on many things. I horde my time. I refuse to help bosses I don't like. I want to kill the person who cuts me off on the road. That all = Christianity FAIL.
I read little admission here that Christians actually exist who are indeed selfless. They do exist.

My sister in law was the sort of Christian that one can hold up as a standard. When a hospital staff caused the death of her husband by means of negligence she didn't run to the first lawyer she found in the yellow pages and engage in litigation. She forgave them.

My wife runs a walk-in medical clinic. Some people come to her who cannot pay in money. Recently she treated a professional fisherman (scrimp boat captain, actually) for an ailment. He'd had a bad run and couldn't pay. After a more successful run a few weeks later he came in with a batch of freshly caught fish right out of the ocean. (That's a violation of Obamacare if anyone is interested to know. Uncle Sam wants to track your money and can't track deferred payment for medical care paid for with fish.)

There are more stories like that I can share. I'd be willing to bet the reader knows a few too. My point is that your suggestion that all Christians are hypocrites is itself hypocritical since you've obviously made no effort at all to document your bias and admit to no possibility that Christians are indeed as selfless as they've been commanded to be.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
My point is that your suggestion that all Christians are hypocrites is itself hypocritical since you've obviously made no effort at all to document your bias and admit to no possibility that Christians are indeed as selfless as they've been commanded to be.
I suggested all Christians are hypocrites? You made a good point, but I think you skimmed the OP ;).

Thanks for sharing your wife's and sister's testimony!

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
KingJ said:
<<- If I had to harass and tease you. How long before you smack me? 1 hour, 10 hours = 0/10 Christianity. Jesus is longsuffering.>>

But at some point, God says "Enough!" So He wip[ed out the entire world save Noah's family with a flood, he destroyed Sodom and Gamorrah, he had the Israelites kill every man, woman, and child of the Canaanites, he had Assyriua take the Northern Kingdom into exile and then the Babylonians take the Southern Kingdom. And he will draw all of HIs enemies to the battle of Armageddon where he will slaughter them to the point that the blood will be as deep as a horse's bridle.

He also told HIs disciples to sell their cloke and buy a sword.

We turn the other cheek but when the thug rapes our wife we don't offer him our daughters as well.

<< Christianity 101 is laying our lives down for one another. Just as Jesus laid His down. Many of us don't grasp or forget what that means. Laying down our lives = allowing others to trample on us. >>

Christianity 101 is NOT being stupid. Don't give to some scam artist just because he asks.

Good post! You have an excellent understanding.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
JimParker said:
We turn the other cheek but when the thug rapes our wife we don't offer him our daughters as well.
Agree 100%. Protecting our family from a rapist is us laying our lives down for them. Doing nothing is condoning / assisting with the rape.

Loving the enemy is helping the rapist in prison. Not just saying ''we forgive you''. We can still lay our life down for the rapist in this sense.