Sunni and Shi'ite

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
In the Muslim religion, there are 2 factions. One is known as Sunni (pronounced Soony) and the other is Shi'ite (She-Ite). One adheres to one set of beliefs. The other believes something else. EACH believes that what they believe is the correct version. I guess that I would have to Google them to see what that difference is. They don't particularly like each other. They sometimes kill each other. We in the West don't really know what their differences are nor do we care to know. To us, they are just Muslims.

In the Christian religion, there are 2 factions - Catholic and Protestant. Within the Protestant faction there are many thousands of different sects, each with their own beliefs. EACH believes that what they believe is correct. For centuries, the countries of Europe fought because one country was Catholic and the other was Protestant - over and over and over again. Today, no European country is ever going to go to war with another one over their religious beliefs. No one cares enough to kill each other over such stupidity.

Apparently, on a somewhat smaller scale, this war continues here on this site. REALLY? Is this what you were taught? Were you taught that it is better to mock the people that you have differences of opinion with? Are you really that shallow that you have to flex your internet muscles to make your point?

I have only been here a few days. On one of the threads, a person, rather foolishly, wrote that the Muslims were going to Invade America and crucify all of the priests and, I assume, all of the nuns also. Let's assume for one minute that that actually happened. Are you that naive to believe that they wouldn't also crucify the Protestant pastors, ministers, or whatever? Do you really think that the Muslims care what the differences are between Catholics and Protestants?

I'm a Lutheran and you're a Catholic. I'm going to Heaven and you're not. I'm a Baptist and you're a Jehovah's Witness. I'm going to Heaven and you're not. I'm an Episcopalian and you're a Presbyterian. I'm going to Heaven and you're not. I'm a Catholic and you're an Eastern Orthodox. I'm going to Heaven and you're not.
Are you that naive to believe that Jesus Christ cares about this silly nonsense? He wants you to follow HIS words and HIS examples regardless of which faction or denomination that you belong to.

Are you that pathetic? I'm right and you're a bad name. No I'm right and YOU'RE a bad name, No I'm right and you're a worse name. No I'm right and you're a worser name - over and over and over again. To prove what exactly? That you're going to Heaven and I'm not and vice-versa. Let's let God make that decision - and NOT us.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
So....we have a new member to this board, wanting to scold and correct with phrases such as, "Are you that pathetic?"

Gee, THAT never happens, does it?

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
In the Muslim religion, there are 2 factions. One is known as Sunni (pronounced Soony) and the other is Shi'ite (She-Ite). One adheres to one set of beliefs. The other believes something else. EACH believes that what they believe is the correct version. I guess that I would have to Google them to see what that difference is. They don't particularly like each other. They sometimes kill each other. We in the West don't really know what their differences are nor do we care to know. To us, they are just Muslims.

In the Christian religion, there are 2 factions - Catholic and Protestant. Within the Protestant faction there are many thousands of different sects, each with their own beliefs. EACH believes that what they believe is correct. For centuries, the countries of Europe fought because one country was Catholic and the other was Protestant - over and over and over again. Today, no European country is ever going to go to war with another one over their religious beliefs. No one cares enough to kill each other over such stupidity.

Apparently, on a somewhat smaller scale, this war continues here on this site. REALLY? Is this what you were taught? Were you taught that it is better to mock the people that you have differences of opinion with? Are you really that shallow that you have to flex your internet muscles to make your point?

I have only been here a few days. On one of the threads, a person, rather foolishly, wrote that the Muslims were going to Invade America and crucify all of the priests and, I assume, all of the nuns also. Let's assume for one minute that that actually happened. Are you that naive to believe that they wouldn't also crucify the Protestant pastors, ministers, or whatever? Do you really think that the Muslims care what the differences are between Catholics and Protestants?

I'm a Lutheran and you're a Catholic. I'm going to Heaven and you're not. I'm a Baptist and you're a Jehovah's Witness. I'm going to Heaven and you're not. I'm an Episcopalian and you're a Presbyterian. I'm going to Heaven and you're not. I'm a Catholic and you're an Eastern Orthodox. I'm going to Heaven and you're not.
Are you that naive to believe that Jesus Christ cares about this silly nonsense? He wants you to follow HIS words and HIS examples regardless of which faction or denomination that you belong to.

Are you that pathetic? I'm right and you're a bad name. No I'm right and YOU'RE a bad name, No I'm right and you're a worse name. No I'm right and you're a worser name - over and over and over again. To prove what exactly? That you're going to Heaven and I'm not and vice-versa. Let's let God make that decision - and NOT us.
This is an excellant post,but you forgot to mention all the people killed Ireland fighting over this same nonsense.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
Unlike all others Cristianity is not a religion. It is only a guide to a personal Savior Jesus. Some denominations added to this guide tons of religious gibberish others not that much. There are saved people from all Christian denominaations. Some had to wade through oceans of gibberish to find Jesus and some got it easy.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Suhar said:
Unlike all others Cristianity is not a religion. It is only a guide to a personal Savior Jesus. Some denominations added to this guide tons of religious gibberish others not that much. There are saved people from all Christian denominaations. Some had to wade through oceans of gibberish to find Jesus and some got it easy.
I'd agree, Jesus didn't bring religion into the world, he brought salvation. Religion was already here and doing a pretty good job of misconstruing scriptures to suit themselves. Christianity to me is a way of life, a reality for believers that's geared toward following the example Christ set for us.

Nothing wrong with Christians debating scriptures, its how we grow and learn. I've learned quite a bit on this forum, including how I've misinterpreted some scriptures. I suppose that we are all wrong about something, but we know that Christ was right about everything.

In Revelation, Jesus wasn't too satisfied with 5 of the 7 churches, so it seems to me that we can easily fall into our own traditions and begin trusting religious malarkey. I personally find that when there are a lot of complex rules and regulations in a denomination, they usually aren't biblically based.

As stated, its essential to separate the jibber-jabber from what the bible actually teaches. :)

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
John you are stressing too much.

I agree that all Catholics and Protestants can agree with Paul in 1 Cor 2:2. Hence we are all brothers and sisters in Christ. If we love and follow Jesus we are related.

However, it is inevitable that we have different opinions on matters as we are all in stages of growth and under constant attack by the devil. We are instructed to wash each other. Sometimes we need a brush, other times a soft cloth. I see nothing wrong in contending for our belief. Just stumbling each other is out of line. Personal insults and attacking character reveal our motivation is wrong.

Open rebuke is scriptural. Just the young do need to give extra respect to their elders.

Proverbs 27:5 Better is open rebuke than hidden love. 1 Tim 5:20 As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear. 2 Tim 3:16017 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. Titus 2:15, 1 Tim 5:1 Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father, younger men as brothers. 1 Cor 5:12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? Prov 27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy.