The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people here seem to think their ship don't sink. When we talk about how we should try to do good, we should try to avoid making it sound (to those who don't know God or the bible so well) like our woks save us or keep us saved, or help save us etc. The work of God is to believe in Jesus.

Everybody likes to say "works" don't save you and it is kind like not understanding what the word works means in Christian theology. Protestants took exception, as they should have, to the Catholics desire to regulate salvation. You have to do this and that to be saved. Paul took exception to the belief that observing the Law could save you....works of the Law.

But it is never considered works to do good or loving one another or helping one another or serving Christ or Christianity or the Church. It does not work that way.
You go to heaven because you believe in Christ....faith....but you can go to hell for not doing good. Read the parable of the Sheep and the Goats....what happened to them?

As Christians...LOL...As senior Christians we should strive to know what pleases the Lord and do those deeds...
Do you think I am wrong?
Pleasing Christ....is being obedient to Him and an example of good character for us.

1st John 3:22 And whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him.

Hebrews 13:16 Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

2nd Corinthians 5:9 So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.

John 8:29 And he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.

1st Thessalonians 4:1 Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more.

2nd Thessalonians 2:4 But just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts.

Ephesian 5:8-10 For at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.

Hebrews 13:15-16 Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Colossians 1:10 So as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

1st Timothy 5:3-5 Honor widows who are truly widows. But if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to their own household and to make some return to their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God. She who is truly a widow, left all alone, has set her hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day,

The Sheep and the Goats Matthew 25:31-46
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

The Parable of Talents Matthew 25:14:30
14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[a] and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents,[b] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here, I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant.[c] You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here, you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

James 4:17 So for one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, for him it is sin.

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GEN2REV said:
God esteems one day above another.
Since you are not God, that is not your business.
Are you sure about that?
Isaiah 56:2(Notice how this verse says 'the man' NOT 'the ethnic Israelite'.)
Isaiah 58:13-14
...the verse you cited has nothing to do with 'all His 'true' disciples' thinking one day must be esteemed above another.
You still have that terrible habit of completely deaf-earing God's Word. You completely ignored the above as evidence that it IS very much so our biz what God esteems as important or not.

Also you are refusing to see the significance in the disciples 'stopping preparing Jesus' body for burial in order to observe the Sabbath Day of rest.'
Luke 23:56

Your arguments have no leg to stand upon.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or that Jesus warned in Matthew 24:

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

Why did He say this, knowing that He would have died before this happened? So does that mean there was still a sabbath day after he died?

Hmmmmmmm..........

Reactions: GEN2REV

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Everybody likes to say "works" don't save you and it kind like not understanding what the word works means in Christian theology. Protestants took exception, as they should have, to the Catholics desire to regulate salvation. You have to do this and that to be saved. Paul took exception to the belief that observing the Law could save you....works of the Law.

But it is never considered works to do good or loving one another or helping one another or serving Christ or Christianity or the Church. It does not work that way.
You go to heaven because you believe in Christ....faith....but you can go to hell for not doing good.

No. No one is good, no not one. We go to hell only if we reject Jesus. Our works neither damn nor save us if we are saved already. Our works determine rewards. Not salvation. Those who reject His free gift, of course will do evil. Those who accept Jesus may fall, but He raises them back up again. They are a work in progress, and some take more time than others. If a believer really blows it, God may even allow them to die here, so that they won't do any more harm here, but they are still saved. Once saved works do not keep us saved any more than they saved us in the first place, neither can works damn us any more. That is settled.

Read the parable of the Sheep and the Goats....what happened to them?

As Christians...LOL...As senior Christian we should strive to know what pleases the Lord and do those deeds...
Do you think I am wrong?
No, of course we should do a lot of things-and even manage to get some of those things done!

Pleasing Christ....is being obedient to Him and an example of good character for us.

1st John 3:22 And whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him.
John mentioned His commandment was to believe in Jesus! The main thing he mentions that shows we do believe is that we love the brethren. This does not mean that we must and do keep all the ten commandments or else go to hell.

Hebrews 13:16 Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

2nd Corinthians 5:9 So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.
Great advice. We should try to do that.

John 8:29 And he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.
Of course Jesus did. Peter and others, apparently were somewhat less than perfect yet.

James 4:17 So for one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, for him it is sin.
Yes it is sin. Add that to the pile for some folks. We have good advice. That was not what saved us, Jesus did. We try. And we try. And we try. But we do not get satisfaction of being perfect and sinless saints in this life, as Paul said.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking for context as to who Paul was talking to I saw this
"
Romans 2:17
Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,

So it seems like he was talking to Jews there. So, in context the verse you cites seems to be saying, basically, 'You natural children of Abraham and Jacob are not real Jews unless your heart is right, not the skin on your penis'
I would not take that verse alone to mean that all people on earth who get saved are then Jews.
I disagree, the scripture is speaking to those circumcised of the heart (Church)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. No one is good, no not one. We go to hell only if we reject Jesus. Our works neither damn nor save us if we are saved already. Our works determine rewards. Not salvation. Those who reject His free gift, of course will do evil. Those who accept Jesus may fall, but He raises them back up again. They are a work in progress, and some take more time than others. If a believer really blows it, God may even allow them to die here, so that they won't do any more harm here, but they are still saved. Once saved works do not keep us saved any more than they saved us in the first place, neither can works damn us any more. That is settled.

No, of course we should do a lot of things-and even manage to get some of those things done!

John mentioned His commandment was to believe in Jesus! The main thing he mentions that shows we do believe is that we love the brethren. This does not mean that we must and do keep all the ten commandments or else go to hell.

Great advice. We should try to do that.

Of course Jesus did. Peter and others, apparently were somewhat less than perfect yet.
Yes it is sin. Add that to the pile for some folks. We have good advice. That was not what saved us, Jesus did. We try. And we try. And we try. But we do not get satisfaction of being perfect and sinless saints in this life, as Paul said.

I am going to assume that your statement, No one is good, no not one. Is better phrased as No one is perfect... Because if you hang with people that are "no good" that would be pretty sad. I know a lot of good Christians and it is a blessing to me. Paul called us saints.

The primary Hebrew word for “righteous” in the Old Testament is “tsaddiyq” (Strong’s: 6662). It is interesting to note that this word is used to describe only one man in the whole Old Testament: Noah. However, “tsaddiyq” is used to describe God in numerous places in the Old Testament. When we get to the New Testament, the Greek word “dikaios” (Strong’s: 1342) is used to describe those who are called “righteous.” Both “tsaddiyq” and “dikaios” are also translated as “just” in some verses. Using these words, I have compiled a list of who is called “righteous” or “just” in the Bible. Following is this list.

1. Noah (Gen 6:9)(Gen 7:1)
2. Abraham Genesis 15:6
3. Lot (2 Pet 2:8)
4. Joseph Of Arimathea (Lk 23:50)
5. Abel (Heb 11:4)(Mt 23:35)(1 Jn 3:12)
6. Joseph (Mt 1:19)
7. Cornelius (Acts 10:22)
8. John The Baptist (Mk 6:20)
11. Zacharias (Lk 1:5-6)
12. Elisabeth (Lk 1:5-6)
13. Simeon

The word righteous and good sometimes are misunderstood. No one is as good or righteous as God. But there are a lot....a lot of Good Christians.

A lot times I run into people that say, no one is good or everyone is evil....the whole dirty filthy rags things.
And the underlying message is about OSAS.....You are evil and sinful so why try? Your belief in Christ means you can sin all you want and not go to hell. Pretty much the advise Satan would give. Is the OSAS vision of heaven full of evil and God and good people will have to find somewhere else to go.

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are you sure about that?
Isaiah 56:2(Notice how this verse says 'the man' NOT 'the ethnic Israelite'.)
Isaiah 58:13-14
Jesus clarified how to keep the sabbath. He healed, and ate from fields, and preached, and taught etc. We are to honour Him and love Him on the sabbath, and every other day!
Romans 14:5
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind

You still have that terrible habit of completely deaf-earing God's Word.
Those who understand the spirit of the law and bible are not deaf earing anything. They just are not blind and deaf to what God is saying like the Pharisees were.

You completely ignored the above as evidence that it IS very much so our biz what God esteems as important or not.[/QUOTE] You apparently did not understand what you posted.
Also you are refusing to see the significance in the disciples 'stopping preparing Jesus' body for burial in order to observe the Sabbath Day of rest.'
Luke 23:56

Your arguments have no leg to stand upon.
How could they do anything on that day under the watching evil vulture eyes of the religious people? If the Lord of the Sabbath needed something (like prep for burial) how would they not be allowed in His eyes to do it?

Would He not have raised the dead and cared for their body on a sabbath? Looking at wiki I see this

"It celebrates the raising of Lazarus of Bethany. Bethany is recorded in the New Testament as a small village in Judaea, the home of the siblings Mary of Bethany, Martha, and Lazarus, as well as that of Simon the Leper. John's gospel reports that "Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead."[3] Presumably, it is where he spent the Great Sabbath that occurs immediately before Passover"
Lazarus Saturday - Wikipedia

So if the day Lazareth was raised from the dead was a great sabbath would that bother you? Would Jesus have messed up?

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I disagree, the scripture is speaking to those circumcised of the heart (Church)
Yet this is who he was talking to

"Romans 2:17
Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,

People called Jews. Now if they were all saved and part of the church or not, who knows? The point is that to be real Jews they needed to be right in their heart. That means that if these Jews were really saved they would be 'circumcised' in heart. This verse does not say all gentiles on earth who also may be right in heart are therefore Jews.

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am going to assume that your statement, No one is good, no not one. Is better phrased as No one is perfect... Because if you hang with people that are "no good" that would be pretty sad. I know a lot of good Christians and it is a blessing to me. Paul called us saints.

The primary Hebrew word for “righteous” in the Old Testament is “tsaddiyq” (Strong’s: 6662). It is interesting to note that this word is used to describe only one man in the whole Old Testament: Noah. However, “tsaddiyq” is used to describe God in numerous places in the Old Testament. When we get to the New Testament, the Greek word “dikaios” (Strong’s: 1342) is used to describe those who are called “righteous.” Both “tsaddiyq” and “dikaios” are also translated as “just” in some verses. Using these words, I have compiled a list of who is called “righteous” or “just” in the Bible. Following is this list.

1. Noah (Gen 6:9)(Gen 7:1)
2. Abraham Genesis 15:6
3. Lot (2 Pet 2:8)
4. Joseph Of Arimathea (Lk 23:50)
5. Abel (Heb 11:4)(Mt 23:35)(1 Jn 3:12)
6. Joseph (Mt 1:19)
7. Cornelius (Acts 10:22)
8. John The Baptist (Mk 6:20)
11. Zacharias (Lk 1:5-6)
12. Elisabeth (Lk 1:5-6)
13. Simeon

The word righteous and good sometimes are misunderstood. No one is as good or righteous as God. But there are a lot....a lot of Good Christians.

A lot times I run into people that say, no one is good or everyone is evil....the whole dirty filthy rags things.
And the underlying message is about OSAS.....You are evil and sinful so why try? Your belief in Christ means you can sin all you want and not go to hell. Pretty much the advise Satan would give. Is the OSAS vision of heaven full of evil and God and good people will have to find somewhere else to go.
Whatever way you want to phrase it, all are sinners and saved only by grace, and even after saved, we are a wok in progress and not yet perfect.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whatever way you want to phrase it, all are sinners and saved only by grace, and even after saved, we are a wok in progress and not yet perfect.

Granny that cusses because of bacon splatter or grandpa that molests children and eats them...are they the same work in progress?
Work out your salvation with fear and trembling because just because you believe in Christ does not mean you will make it past Judgment Day.

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Granny that cusses because of bacon splatter or grandpa that molests children and eats them...are they the same work in progress?
Work out your salvation with fear and trembling because just because you believe in Christ does not mean you will make it past Judgment Day.
That is not for you to judge. Your worry is more about being judged. The thief on the cross was not saved for his good deeds.

By the way I am not one who suggests ignoring crimes against children, whether that was forcing vaccinations on them, or what the Catholic church is famous for. I would say that those grandpas in that outfit ought to be shut down and kept away from kids.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the ten morals statements in chapter 20 are not called the Ten Commandments in Exodus....you cannot come up with a scripture that specifically states, And God wrote them on the Tablets, Exodus.
Right, it says that in Deuteronomy. That's how we know that Exodus 20:3-17 are the Ten Commandments.

"4And the LORD wrote on the tablets what had been written previously, the Ten Commandmentsa that He had spoken to you on the mountain out of the fire on the day of the assembly. The LORD gave them to me, 5and I went back down the mountain and placed the tablets in the ark " Deuteronomy 10:4-5

It says that what he spoke from the fire in the hearing of the Israelites (Exodus 20:22) are 1) the Ten Commandments, 2) that God wrote them on the Tablets, and 3) that God wrote them again on the 2nd set, too.

4. Do not believe traditions or stories or songs until you have time to verify them.....most are wrong.

Write here is why you have so many Protestant religions....the people that formed these denominations... made these mistakes. And there were other mistakes too of course.
I'm doing that now with your Protestant (that is, non-Catholic) version of the giving of the law. Because you are right now adding another fragment of varying belief to the big collection of beliefs the church already has. I'd say, thank you, but.....no thanks. I'm going with what the Bible actually says.

Reactions: GEN2REV

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thief on the cross was not saved for his good deeds.

A religion of non consistency. Thief on the cross was a unique situation. And we still do not know where he went because there is nothing in the scriptures that Christ went to heaven straight away from the cross. And Enoch and Elijah were also taken to....and they did not meet Christ. Now if your saying that getting yourself crucified is a sure fire way to heaven....have a blast.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the LORD wrote on the tablets what had been written previously, the Ten Commandmentsa that He had spoken to you on the mountain out of the fire on the day of the assembly. The LORD gave them to me, 5and I went back down the mountain and placed the tablets in the ark "

Find this in Exodus......already established that Moses had gotten it wrong in Deuteronomy. I have already showed you word for word from God's own mouth....What the Ten Commandments are. Not my problem.

It says that what he spoke from the fire in the hearing of the Israelites (Exodus 20:22) are 1) the Ten Commandments 2) and that God wrote them on the Tablets, 3) and that he wrote them again on the 2nd set, too.

First you have to find the scripture in Exodus that specifically details them by the name of Ten Commandment being written on the tablets....like the scriptures I have provided.

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A religion of non consistency. Thief on the cross was a unique situation.
We are all unique, and He consistently saves all who come to Him. Wasn't His preaching to those men done on a sabbath also? Ha

And we still do not know where he went because there is nothing in the scriptures that Christ went to heaven straight away from the cross. And Enoch and Elijah were also taken to....and they did not meet Christ. Now if your saying that getting yourself crucified is a sure fire way to heaven....have a blast.
The thief was not saved because he was crucified. He was saved by believing in Jesus. Not sure why you belittle that.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all unique, and He consistently saves all who come to Him. Wasn't His preaching to those men done on a sabbath also? Ha

The thief was not saved because he was crucified. He was saved by believing in Jesus. Not sure why you belittle that.
Did Christ say he was saved? There is more than one way to get to heaven. God the Father and God the Son have the right and power to make special exceptions....

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did Christ say he was saved? There is more than one way to get to heaven. God the Father and God the Son have the right and power to make special exceptions....
What, you thought Jesus was teasing him when He told Him he would be with Him that day in paradise? Sorry that doesn't fit your works trip little philosophy.

Reactions: Cassandra

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What, you thought Jesus was teasing him when He told Him he would be with Him that day in paradise? Sorry that doesn't fit your works trip little philosophy.

No kidding.
Actually neither you are I are going to prove where paradise is or was.
Again no scripture that suggests that Christ went to heaven from the cross.
Testimony while crucified on a cross.....I am calling that good works!

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No kidding.
Actually neither you are I are going to prove where paradise is or was.
Again no scripture that suggests that Christ went to heaven from the cross.
Testimony while crucified on a cross.....I am calling that good works!
So what? We are going to where He is. That is what the thief did that day also.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what? We are going to where He is. That is what the thief did that day also.

I am saying the Bible does not say where the paradise was that Christ was referring to that day.
He could have said, You will be with me in heaven or be with Me and the Father.

Status
Not open for further replies.