The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I expect somebody has already said this but I've only just seen the thread and as it's so long I didn't read from the start. This is what Jesus said so in obeying Him we keep all of them. Love God and love people.

Matthew 22:36-40

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Would it be too much to read the OP?

And how, specifically, do we love God and love people?

Surely God specified somewhere how to do that to His satisfaction.

Do you believe He wanted us to make our own definitions of what that means?

God's Word always defines itself. Where do we go in scripture for that definition?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be too much to read the OP?
Did I say I didn't read the first post? This is post 1502 so I didn't read them all
And how, specifically, do we love God and love people?
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
How specific do you want to get? You put Jesus first in your life and you put others second and yourself last. JOY.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How specific do you want to get?
God is very specific. He gave us the 10 (specific) Commandments.

Modern Christians don't like rules and love the saying "The Bible is not a book of rules!" because they prefer to do their pleasure ... at will. They are bare minimum believers. They ask "What is the bare minimum that I can do and still get to heaven? Believe and love everyone? Sweet, done deal. Now I'm a Christian."

But God knew that some would love Him enough to seek Him with all their heart, mind and strength and, thus, seek exactly how He would like them to live.

So, He gave those of us the 10 (specific) Commandments.
Exodus 20

Fear God and obey the 10 Commandments. That is the whole duty of man.
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God is very specific. He gave us the 10 (specific) Commandments.
Yes, but don't you see that when Jesus said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
Those two statements cover all ten of the commandments. If we love our neighbours as ourselves we will not steal from them or tell lies about them or kill them or commit adultery with them or covet their wives or their cars or their homes or jobs etc.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law of the 10 Commandments IS Spiritual.

"For we know that the Law is spiritual: ..."
Romans 7:14

It is a perfect Law, thus, it cannot, and would have no reason to, be done away with.

"The Law of the Lord is perfect (without any flaw whatsoever), converting the soul: ..."
Psalms 19:7
Do you know what it means?

None of that entire passage contradicts the Spiritual Law of the 10 Commandments that are written on our Spiritual Hearts.

Jeremiah 31:33
Hebrews 10:16

Do you know how it is written on our hearts?

When we receive the Holy Spirit, who observed every Commandment, because they were written on His heart.

They are His Commandments.

You are not under law when you do something out of the love of your heart.

John 14:15

Paul is not saying that the Ten Commandments were not holy, only that they caused condemnation because of the sin nature inside of us. They also had nothing to do with the real commandments of God. To Love God with all your strength, mind and heart, and Love your neighbor as yourself. The Ten Commandments also said nothing about believing in Jesus who takes away the sin of the world.

And Romans 8:1-9 does talk about the Ten Commandments.
3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

But the New Covenant commandments do both. 1 John 3:23-24
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. 24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

This is why 2 Cor. 3:6-12 shows that the Ten Commandments were the "ministry of death." Or "condemnation." It had nothing to do with hating, nor commandments to love. The New Covenant is different. It is the "ministry of the Spirit "and why "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

The ministry of death was fading away, and the better covenant was taking over.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You still can't tell the difference between the Decalogue and the law of Moses, so it's a lot more likely that it is you who doesn't understand what Rom. 8:1-9 says.

Let this verse 7 show you what "law" chapter 7 is about.

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but don't you see that when Jesus said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
Those two statements cover all ten of the commandments. If we love our neighbours as ourselves we will not steal from them or tell lies about them or kill them or commit adultery with them or covet their wives or their cars or their homes or jobs etc.

And seeing as Jesus is God, believing in Him covers the first 4 old covenant commandments, plus the first greatest commandment, and loving your neightor as yourself, IS the second great commandment, and covers the last 6 of the old covenant commandments.

Why is this so hard for the blinded to see as in 2 Cor. 3. Why is the law more important than Christ?:
13 unlike Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the end of what was passing away. 14 But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ. 15 But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. 16 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.

When I was an SDA, I never learned about the Spirit or Christ taking away our actual sin, only the punishment from sin, which doesn't agree with a holy God who wants us to be holy too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let this verse 7 show you what "law" chapter 7 is about.

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”
You aren't proving anything with this other than the fact that Paul said that the Decalogue still defined sinful conduct. And since they still defined immoral conduct, then Jesus didn't abolish them, now did He?

Reactions: GEN2REV

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see that clearly, but how do we love God, Pearl?

How does simply adhering to the simplicity of those two abbreviated Commandments cause us to just as naturally obey the first 4 Commandments that God has prescribed as His Way of loving Him?

It doesn't.

And that is why He was specific about how He expects us to love Him. Sure, we can all pretty well figure out the extent of the Golden Rule, but how do we then overlay that to a way of loving God? We are not God, we cannot treat God as we would like to be treated as gods. We have no concept of that. That is why He supplies that information for us. Isn't it silly to believe that He went to all the trouble, and drama, of creating and presenting the 10 Commandments if we were too smart to need them; if we could just simply figure it out on our own?

If you want to love God with all your heart, mind and strength, there is a prescription for that. See, people aren't spirits ... yet. It's easy, in our human ways to figure out how to treat others as we'd appreciate being treated. But it's not so easy to just naturally know how to love God, a spirit, in a way that satisfies God.

Therefore, we go to the first 4 Commandments to know exactly how to do what cannot come naturally to us. Then, after doing so for some time, it does become natural. It is how God prefers to be loved.

Can God not have any say in all of this? Has He not earned that right?

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And seeing as Jesus is God, believing in Him covers the first 4 old covenant commandments,
Negative.

Why is the law more important than Christ?
Hmmm ... I'll be awaiting the quote that you post from whomever said that.

It's Christ's very presence in us that gives us the desire to obey all the Commandments - just as He did - and enables/empowers us to do so; technically, He does it for us.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Negative.

It's Christ's very presence in us that gives us the desire to obey all the Commandments
He doesn't just give us the desire he gives us the Holy Spirit to help us.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And seeing as Jesus is God, believing in Him covers the first 4 old covenant commandments, plus the first greatest commandment,
Amen, I didn't mention that I thought I would leave him to work it out for himself- but obviously he didn't.

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You aren't proving anything with this other than the fact that Paul said that the Decalogue still defined sinful conduct. And since they still defined immoral conduct, then Jesus didn't abolish them, now did He?

They do not affect followers of Jesus. But those who do not follow Him are still sinners according to the Ten Commandments, because they are still under the law. I'm not. I'm not tempted to break any of them. An unbeliever's nature fights against all the laws of God, whether those of condemnation and those of pure love.

Reactions: Pearl and Jim B

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By loving his Son, Jesus, obeying him and following his teachings and being his disciple.
Exactly. And Jesus and the Father are one.
John 10:30
Jesus' Commandments are the Father's Commandments. He can only be about His Father's business and He can only say the Father's words.
Luke 2:49
John 12:49
John 10:38
John 14:10
And because Jesus and the Father are one, when Jesus and the Father come to live inside of us, they are the Holy Spirit. Look closely at these verses.
John 14:21-23
Guess what that means. It means that the Holy Spirit's Commandments are the 10 Commandments.
He doesn't just give us the desire he gives us the Holy Spirit to help us.
Exactly.

When He puts His New Spirit into us (Jeremiah 31:33; Hebrews 10:16), it writes its 10 Commandments, that it obeyed all of Jesus' life, upon our hearts and empowers us to obey them.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Negative.

It's Christ's very presence in us that gives us the desire to obey all the Commandments - just as He did - and enables/empowers us to do so; technically, He does it for us.

Jesus is not subject to the Sabbath day; He is Lord of the Sabbath. We rest in Jesus. Jesus is the substance of the Sabbath. To obey the day instead of resting in Jesus ONLY, you have fallen from grace. Galatians 5:4.

Reactions: Jim B and Pearl

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, I didn't mention that I thought I would leave him to work it out for himself- but obviously he didn't.

That is because those who read the law are blinded and a veil lies over their eyes. 2 Cor. 3

I was blinded for 23 years. I'll never forget the night it finally lifted. It was like a light bulb went on over my head and I could see grace

Reactions: Pearl and Jim B

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is not subject to the Sabbath day; He is Lord of the Sabbath. We rest in Jesus. Jesus is the substance of the Sabbath. To obey the day instead of resting in Jesus ONLY, you have fallen from grace. Galatians 5:4.
Why did Jesus observe it His entire life if it was completely inconsequential and not a part of what He wanted to model for us as His example of how to live?

If it was going away, or He wasn't subject to it - as you say - why did He observe it faithfully and why did His disciples continue to observe it immediately upon His death?
Luke 23:54-56

You can't escape all of the scripture that supports these things. That is why God wrote the Bible to begin with. You cannot talk your way out of His Eternal Words.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is because those who read the law are blinded and a veil lies over their eyes. 2 Cor. 3

I was blinded for 23 years. I'll never forget the night it finally lifted. It was like a light bulb went on over my head and I could see grace

I really appreciate your posts! Keep on truckin'

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really appreciate your posts! Keep on truckin'
Yeah that's good. Encourage her to teach falsehood.

He who breaks any of the 10 Commandments, and teaches others to do so, will be held in very low regard by God.
Matthew 5:19

Yeah, keep on truckin'.

Down that wide crowded road to the big party.

Status
Not open for further replies.