The answer of hell and its origins

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What Does the Bible Say About Hell?

Now look at all of these scriptures that pertain to a fiery place of torment but in some places it uses the word Hell. You can look it up, you will see that the word is actually the Greek word for hades or gehenna.

The descriptions of this place are clear but the Apostles were tasked with conveying Christian concept in a Pagan Greek language that did not have Christian concepts or morals. So they had to make adjustments for that.

Gehenna of course is in reference to a fiery trash dump....liking it to the place of punishment.
Hades is a Greco-Roman god, his realm being of a place of the same name.
There is no Greek word for Hell.
There is no place of eternal punishment accept the grave.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness to the judgment of the great day. Jude 1:6

Then shall he say also to them on the left hand, Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: Matthew 25:41

Satan and his demons and all that that are Judged to into a fierily torment will exist in agony for eternity.

And throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Matthew 13:50

Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire. Jude 1:7

Is that fire still burning over there in Sodom ? satan and his angels have already been judged .

What does the 2nd death mean to you ?

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
What kind of God do you think we serve , there isn't a sin anywhere that would justify eternal torment , period !!!! It's nothing I mean NOTHING that could warrant that sentence .

If you didn't love God ,you simply just won't be around blotted out , you know not exist

Reactions: face2face

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that fire still burning over there in Sodom ? satan and his angels have already been judged .

What does the 2nd death mean to you ?

Thrown into the lake of fire for eternal punishment.
Look I gave you the guys the site with all the verses....eternal punishment is not about about death or oblivion....you cannot punish a corpse. It is referred to as eternal punishment over and over again. Death would be a blessing compared to what this is.
The history of Jehovah's Witnesses has nothing good to say about, by character or theology.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, the Fire that IGNITES the fire to burn up "hell" (the graves) is God's all consuming Fire of His Eternal self. Therefore, once all the earth, the unsaved, and the works therein (grave digging is a work) are burned up by fervent heat, the Lake of Fire (molten lava over the entire globe) will leave nothing left.
KJV 2 Peter 3[6] Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
[7] But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
[8] But, beloved [on another topic], be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day [the current Age of God's Grace].
[9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise [of His salvation], as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

[10] But [back to the first topic] the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up
When there is nothing left (no fuel for the fire) that fire, ignited by
His Eternal Fire of Himself, will go out.
Let's see, should I believe you or Jesus?
Matthew 25
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
Revelation 20
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What kind of God do you think we serve , there isn't a sin anywhere that would justify eternal torment , period !!!! It's nothing I mean NOTHING that could warrant that sentence .

If you didn't love God ,you simply just won't be around blotted out , you know not exist
What will be revealed in the last day is how far Christianity has moved away from the original Gospel as taught by the Apostles. The realization will either be transformative, or damning.
F2F

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What will be revealed in the last day is how far Christianity has moved away from the original Gospel as taught by the Apostles. The realization will either be transformative, or damning.
F2F
Are you referring to us Bible believing Christians who reject the WatchTower and Kingdom Hall doctrines? Damning?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ok again which verse.
References to the Old Testament are irrelevant. I have already explained that.
You have explained nothing at all...not one valid point in all you're posts on this subject. Your hell is not spoken of at all in any form in the OT.
It's your problem to overcome not mine.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Ok again which verse.
References to the Old Testament are irrelevant. I have already explained that.

What does the 2nd death mean to you? And I really don't understand how the Old Testament is irrelevant

Matthew 10:28 "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Does the word destroy mean anything to you ?

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue that was being discussed, was when does/did "the KoG cometh not with observation".
Luke 17:20.

Unfortunately, Church-ianity doesn't know, and therefore is confused over the fact that Jesus' CAME in the flesh (observable) and that he shall COME in the visible Glorious Being of His Immortality, in flaming fire (observable).

My answer is:
John.14[18] I will not leave you comfortless: I will COME to you.
John.14[21] He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and [I] will MANIFEST myself to him.

By your stiff answer of "False", without any scriptural backing, it us apparent that you are void of the answer also.

Last edited:

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay - let me ask you another way.
How did the comforter come to Jesus in his time of need?

:crossword: :I know: :IDK:
John.14[10] Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me?
the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
[11] Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

Last edited:

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
The notion that every human being has a soul which, unlike the body, is immortal and cannot die, is a remnant of ancient pagan Greek philosophy. The idea crept into Christian thinking in the second and third centuries, where it shaped the popular doctrine of everlasting torture in hell. The great theologian Augustine gave the notion his stamp of approval and it became Catholic and Protestant orthodoxy. If souls cannot die but live forever, the wicked souls must suffer conscious torment throughout eternity — something the Bible never says and an idea completely out of character with the nature of God as revealed in Scripture and in his Son Jesus Christ.

The Bible does say that only God possesses immortality (1 Tim. 6:16), and that he is able to destroy both body and soul in hell (Matt. 10:28). It says that “the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life” (Rom. 6:23). According to Scripture, God will bestow immortality on the saved in the Resurrection (1 Cor. 15:42-44, 50-55) and they will live forever in the New Heavens and New Earth (Rev. 21:1-5).

The wicked will also be raised, but for condemnation rather than for life (John 5:29; Dan. 12:2). Following judgment, they will be cast into what Revelation picturesquely calls “The Lake of Fire and Brimstone” which is the second death (Rev. 21:8). There they suffer the punishment of “eternal destruction” (2 Thes. 1:9), which is the “eternal punishment” of which Jesus also warned (Matt. 25:46). The destructive process might well involve degrees of conscious torment according to God’s perfect justice, but the final result is the same. The wicked truly die, perish and are destroyed forever.

CAN THE SOUL TRULY DIE? - Edward Fudge Ministries

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True...but your idea of the Spirit of Christ and mine may differ.
That is for sure!
My understanding is scripturally and spiritually factual. Yours is based on the wisdom of men, by pharisaical church-ianity of men.
1 Corinthians 2:5.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The notion that every human being has a soul which, unlike the body, is immortal and cannot die, is a remnant of ancient pagan Greek philosophy. The idea crept into Christian thinking in the second and third centuries, where it shaped the popular doctrine of everlasting torture in hell.
This time was so detrimental to truth and thereafter with council upon council curupting the true gospel until now where its totally unrecognizable.