The Bible is more a record of those who "know", than those who "believe."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know I am jumping to this thread etc...:oops:
I see a great difference between believing what has been told to us about someone/God. And knowing Him. Paul speaks about "going on to know the Lord. Believing can very easily , and often is , a standing still ( or sitting still...) and kinds coasting into heaven...or we can "Go on to know Him.."
= no long passive. That is how I see it.
Paul was already a believer, yet he said " That I may know Him...." He saw and taught the difference.
I don't believe demons do know the Lord....they know who He is, but they do not know in the knowing way..the way Adam knew Eve..and how the relationship we have with God as The Bride = to come into perfect union ...if we indeed press on to know Him and the power of His resurrection...

The way I see it, if the demons didn't truly know God as Adam knew Eve, then they wouldn't be so afraid of his name to start with. They don't instantly buzz off in any others name but his, not Donald Trump, not Dcopymope, not any of us. That kind of fear comes from more than just knowing who he is. As far as we are concerned, if you claim to have the holy spirit, then you know him by default, and no Paul like epiphany would make you know God anymore than anyone else, much less the Devil. Whats missing from this whole discussion of "knowing" and "believing" are things like repentance, an actual change of heart, mind and soul. This would be one thing that separates you "knowing" and "believing" God from Satan and his gang of demons "knowing" God.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Separating the "believer" from the "knower's" is exactly what ScottA has done, elevating himself above all others who just "believe", because God apparently appeared before him. I don't recall Paul elevating himself and separating himself from the believer, from the other apostles just because Jesus Christ directly had a word or two with him. That is what this thread is about however.

This kinda blends into the post I just wrote to you.
Thanks for your response.
I believe you misunderstand Scott's intent...all I hear in Scott's thread is
" Come up higher" I don't hear him elevating himself, I hear him saying-
"Folks there is much land yet to be possessed"
No, Paul didn't elevate himself... but in all his writings he was admonishing for us to "go on"...go deeper...he wrote about the high calling. Which as I see it is the believers privilege to know more and more of God...and God does not leave us hungering...He will reveal more and more of Himself, so that we start to know His heart..
Many do not want to pray the price of "waiting on God" to hear His voice...they would much rather sit in some pew as a happy believer..and be spoon fed from the front. No price there.
Yes, they are believers, blood washed christians...but God wants us to desire more, not just a message from the pulpit ..but to hear God speak to us as a Father speaks to his son.
Paul for sure did call us deeper. "I beseech you brethren , receive not the grace of the Lord Jesus christ in vain. " To those who were enjoying saving grace...yet root meaning of grace is- 'God's ability in you, to do what you can't do'. Grace is not for sitting waiting to go to heaven some day. Grace has action, as does being a Believing-believer that goes on the know the lord.

My two cents for what it's worth, if anything. :)

Just seen your second post..thanks.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That still doesn't explain how you "knowing God" is any different than someone "believing" in God. The demons know God as Lord as well, so it doesn't prove anything. Are you saying that a believer cannot know that God is NOT his enemy because he doesn't "know God"? Whats the deal here?
default_hmm.gif
We either know God by personal contact, or by confirmation made available by the Spirit.

In my case, I was taken up in the spirit and then confirmation came first by His word, and then with spiritual dealings and revelations. For me, I "knew" God before I believed or had faith.

In the case of someone who believes by faith, that faith is then confirmed by spiritual dealings and revelations, which is "knowing" by the spirit. But before receiving confirmation they do not "know", but on "believe."

But a demon "knows" because he is spirit, as is God.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We either know God by personal contact, or by confirmation made available by the Spirit.

In my case, I was taken up in the spirit and then confirmation came first by His word, and then with spiritual dealings and revelations. For me, I "knew" God before I believed or had faith.

In the case of someone who believes by faith, that faith is then confirmed by spiritual dealings and revelations, which is "knowing" by the spirit. But before receiving confirmation they do not "know", but on "believe."

What revelations have you received that we haven't already heard, that I would particularly care for?

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why would you need faith in Christ if you have seen Him?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would you need faith in Christ if you have seen Him?
If you are referring to my comment of "knowing" God before I believed or had faith. It is because the well is deep...I mean 66 books and the vastness of all time and the universe, all sealed in the twinkling of an eye in a spiritual experience that prior to having it, was completely foreign to me. So every confirmation between my experience and the Word and vice versa required faith to believe all of the implications. Which, because of my experience...I have no choice.