The Bible is Written in Metaphors

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross. - Matthew 27:40

But he spake of the temple of his body. - John 2:21 (in metaphor)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was given this definition of a Know all: -- "A know all is someone who knows all that he knows and believes that he knows all that is known."

Thank you Jay...I have filed that away ..I like it very much :)

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The bible, especially Revelation, is written with much metaphor. I cannot believe one can study Revelation, and the bible, and see the same perspective as another fellow believer. You will agree and disagree on the interpretation of different passages. If a pastor prepares a message and does so in prayer and in council of the Holy Spirit it will bless the ears and hearts of those listening. If someone goes to interpret scriptural prophecy and does so in the flesh such interpretation will not go over with blessing. And to give example....

John Bunyan was a great writer in metaphors/parables and he explains the use of them in his "The Barren Fig Tree" work (http://www.chapellib.../bun-barren.pdf):

6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down. - Luke 13:6-9

In parables there are two things to be taken notice of, and to be inquired into of them that read.

First, The metaphors made use of.
Second, The doctrine or mysteries couched under such metaphors.

The metaphors in this parable are,
1. A certain man;
2. A vineyard;
3. A fig-tree, barren or fruitless;
4. A dresser;
5. Three years;
6. Digging and dunging, &c.

The doctrine, or mystery, couched under these words is to show us what is like to become of a fruitless or formal professor. For...

1. By the man in the parable is meant God the Father.
2. By the vineyard, his church.
3. By the fig-tree, a professor.
4. By the dresser, the Lord Jesus.
5. By the fig-tree’s barrenness, the professor's fruitlessness.
6. By the three years, the patience of God that for a time he extendeth to barren professors.
7. This calling to the dresser of the vineyard to cut it down, is to show the outcries of justice against fruitless professors.
8. The dresser's interceding is to show how the Lord Jesus steps in, and takes hold of the head of his Father's axe, to stop, or at least to defer, the present execution of a barren fig-tree.
9. The dresser's desire to try to make the fig-tree fruitful, is to show you how unwilling he is that even a barren fig-tree should yet be barren, and perish.
10. His digging about it, and dunging of it, is to show his willingness to apply gospel helps to this barren professor, if haply he may be fruitful.
11. The supposition that the fig-tree may yet continue fruitless, is to show, that when Christ Jesus hath done all, there are some professors will abide barren and fruitless.
12. The determination upon this supposition, at last to cut it down, is a certain prediction of such professor’s unavoidable and eternal damnation.

But to take this parable into pieces, and to discourse more particularly, though with all brevity, upon all the parts thereof. "A certain MAN had a fig-tree planted in his vineyard." The MAN, I told you, is to present us with God the Father; by which similitude he is often set out in the New Testament. Observe then, that it is no new thing, if you find in God's church barren fig-trees, fruitless professors; even as here you see is a tree, a fruitless tree, a fruitless fig-tree in the vineyard.

Fruit is not so easily brought forth as a profession is got into; it is easy for a man to clothe himself with a fair show in the flesh, to word it, and say, Be thou warmed and filled with the best. It is no hard thing to do these with other things; but to be fruitful, to bring forth fruit to God, this doth not every tree, no not every fig-tree that stands in the vineyard of God. Those words also, "Every branch in me that beareth not fruit, he taketh away," assert the same thing. There are branches in Christ, in Christ's body mystical, which is his church, his vineyard, that bear not fruit, wherefore the hand of God is to take them away: I looked for grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes, that is, no fruit at all that was acceptable with God (Isaiah 5:4). Again, Israel is an empty vine, he bringeth forth fruit unto himself, none to God; he is without fruit to God (Hosea 10:1). All these, with many more, show us the truth of the observation, and that God’s church may be cumbered with fruitless fig-trees, with barren professors.
I thought the Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek?

R

Rita

Right just been reading more about Ekklesia - I get it now, and Joesph is not saying what we think he is, and perhaps has been misjudged , which I apologise for...... Helen, you me and amedeus would be classed as Ekklesia because we have come out of church, any church, and are independently living with Jesus at the Healm - so when I mentioned about their being loads of spirit filled Christians within the denominations, even though that is true, the fact that they are still going to an organised church means they are not Ekklesia - so Joseph was right about the numbers being lower than I was conveying .................
So it’s not about elitism, I certainly wouldn’t class myself as above anyone going to a church , I just followed my heart 6 years ago because I saw the hypocrisy that existed within the church and could not conform any more. I must admit that many of my Christian brothers and sister locally do not agree with me ‘ not going to church ‘ - so they perhaps do not hear what I am saying .............and I am sure their are many who would feel the same here...........
Rita

Reactions: Helen

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible, especially Revelation, is written with much metaphor. I cannot believe one can study Revelation, and the bible, and see the same perspective as another fellow believer. You will agree and disagree on the interpretation of different passages. If a pastor prepares a message and does so in prayer and in council of the Holy Spirit it will bless the ears and hearts of those listening. If someone goes to interpret scriptural prophecy and does so in the flesh such interpretation will not go over with blessing. And to give example....

John Bunyan was a great writer in metaphors/parables and he explains the use of them in his "The Barren Fig Tree" work (http://www.chapellib.../bun-barren.pdf):

6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down. - Luke 13:6-9

In parables there are two things to be taken notice of, and to be inquired into of them that read.

1. A certain man;
2. A vineyard;
4. A dresser;
5. Three years;

The doctrine, or mystery, couched under these words is to show us what is like to become of a fruitless or formal professor. For...

1. By the man in the parable is meant God the Father.
2. By the vineyard, his church.
5. By the fig-tree’s barrenness, the professor's fruitlessness.
6. By the three years, the patience of God that for a time he extendeth to barren professors.
7. This calling to the dresser of the vineyard to cut it down, is to show the outcries of justice against fruitless professors.
8. The dresser's interceding is to show how the Lord Jesus steps in, and takes hold of the head of his Father's axe, to stop, or at least to defer, the present execution of a barren fig-tree.
9. The dresser's desire to try to make the fig-tree fruitful, is to show you how unwilling he is that even a barren fig-tree should yet be barren, and perish.
10. His digging about it, and dunging of it, is to show his willingness to apply gospel helps to this barren professor, if haply he may be fruitful.
11. The supposition that the fig-tree may yet continue fruitless, is to show, that when Christ Jesus hath done all, there are some professors will abide barren and fruitless.
12. The determination upon this supposition, at last to cut it down, is a certain prediction of such professor’s unavoidable and eternal damnation.

But to take this parable into pieces, and to discourse more particularly, though with all brevity, upon all the parts thereof. "A certain MAN had a fig-tree planted in his vineyard." The MAN, I told you, is to present us with God the Father; by which similitude he is often set out in the New Testament. Observe then, that it is no new thing, if you find in God's church barren fig-trees, fruitless professors; even as here you see is a tree, a fruitless tree, a fruitless fig-tree in the vineyard.

Fruit is not so easily brought forth as a profession is got into; it is easy for a man to clothe himself with a fair show in the flesh, to word it, and say, Be thou warmed and filled with the best. It is no hard thing to do these with other things; but to be fruitful, to bring forth fruit to God, this doth not every tree, no not every fig-tree that stands in the vineyard of God. Those words also, "Every branch in me that beareth not fruit, he taketh away," assert the same thing. There are branches in Christ, in Christ's body mystical, which is his church, his vineyard, that bear not fruit, wherefore the hand of God is to take them away: I looked for grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes, that is, no fruit at all that was acceptable with God (Isaiah 5:4). Again, Israel is an empty vine, he bringeth forth fruit unto himself, none to God; he is without fruit to God (Hosea 10:1). All these, with many more, show us the truth of the observation, and that God’s church may be cumbered with fruitless fig-trees, with barren professors.

The Bible does contain some metaphors, but it's important to understand what is figurative and what is literal.

Reactions: Enoch111 and Helen

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible does contain some metaphors, but it's important to understand what is figurative and what is literal.
And he spake many things unto them in parables... - Matthew 13::2

G3850 - parabolē - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)

Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old. And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these parables, he departed thence. - Matthew 13:52-53

Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into. - 1 Peter 1:12

If a preacher prays and is Spirit led his sermons will be exciting, even to the point where Angels will desire to look into. Indicating an entertainment value to the Christian service. Another preacher can attempt to preach the same sermon, and it will be totally dry and uninteresting.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

And he spake many things unto them in parables... - Matthew 13::2

G3850 - parabolē - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)

Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old. And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these parables, he departed thence. - Matthew 13:52-53

Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into. - 1 Peter 1:12

If a preacher prays and is Spirit led his sermons will be exciting, even to the point where Angels will desire to look into. Indicating an entertainment value to the Christian service. Another preacher can attempt to preach the same sermon, and it will be totally dry and uninteresting.

The biggest problem is that our translations give what the translators believe Christ was saying. For example the Matt 13:52 verse poorly conveys what the actual message was. What was the treasure that the householder bringing out? His treasure. And Matt 12:35 defines that for us where it is recorded: -

Matthew 12:35: - 35 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.

This is the same Greek word for "treasure" found in Matt 13:52, which means that the treasure is not a physical object if we were to adopt the literal understanding as read, but the "treasure" is metaphorical in that it is describing something that words and concepts which in this case is associated with a person's salvation. Now the verse goes on to tell us that the treasure has been made fresh again like new, but that the treasure is also very old and is ancient, even from the time of Adam. Now if Jesus was speaking of Himself, then He was referring metaphorically to a future event when the Salvation process was to be refreshed as described in Daniel 9:24b: - "To make reconciliation for iniquity, To bring in everlasting righteousness, To seal up vision and prophecy, And to anoint the Most Holy." But he was also speaking of His "Disciples", and even possibly the Nation of Israel, in that they would be fully instructed in the Kingdom of Heaven to bring Salvation to those who will listen and accept their teaching during that time.

Those that only read the scriptures literally, miss so much of the message hidden within the words.

In Ezekiel 34:12-14 if we read what has been recorded, literally, then we will miss the message context and come to the wrong conclusion. This wrong conclusion has driven Middle Eastern Foreign Policy now for many decades. The "Christians" driving this flawed Middle Eastern Policy are attempting to force God's hand to bring forward the Biblical prophesied event and it has created a festering sore in the Middle East that has increased the Tribulation of the Jewish People during this time of Jacob's Trouble.

In the Garden of Eden, God Entered in a Covenant with Adam and Eve which is best described as the beginning of the Salvation Covenant with all of the people of the world who over time accept the terms and conditions of that Salvation Covenant and adhere to its boundary conditions.

That is what we, at this present time, are responding to, an ancient covenant that has now been made fresh once more by the Cross. It is not a "Brand New" covenant as many seem to want have us believe in, but it is a covenant where we must submit ourselves to God on His Terms and not on ours.

Yes the Bible has been written with many metaphors hidden within its words. Sadly, the scholars with their learned biases have caused the Bible message to have become obscured and difficult to find.

Shalom

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Right just been reading more about Ekklesia - I get it now, and Joesph is not saying what we think he is, and perhaps has been misjudged , which I apologise for...... Helen, you me and amedeus would be classed as Ekklesia because we have come out of church, any church, and are independently living with Jesus at the Healm - so when I mentioned about their being loads of spirit filled Christians within the denominations, even though that is true, the fact that they are still going to an organised church means they are not Ekklesia - so Joseph was right about the numbers being lower than I was conveying .................
So it’s not about elitism, I certainly wouldn’t class myself as above anyone going to a church , I just followed my heart 6 years ago because I saw the hypocrisy that existed within the church and could not conform any more. I must admit that many of my Christian brothers and sister locally do not agree with me ‘ not going to church ‘ - so they perhaps do not hear what I am saying .............and I am sure their are many who would feel the same here...........
Rita

Thank you for that Rita. Now I understand much clearer.
It would have been easier to have understood earlier if he had explained that himself to us. :)
I 'get it ' now. xx

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The biggest problem is that our translations what they belied Christ was saying. For example the Matt 13:52 verse poorly conveys what the actual message was. What was the treasure that the householder bringing out? His treasure. And Matt 12:25 defines that for us where it is recorded: -

Matthew 12:35: - 35 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.

This is the same Greek word for "treasure" found in Matt 13:52, which means that the treasure is not a physical object if we were to adopt the literal understanding as read, but the "treasure" is metaphorical in that it is describing something that words and concepts which in this case is associated with a person's salvation. Now the verse goes on to tell us that the treasure has been made fresh again like new, but that the treasure is also very old and is ancient, even from the time of Adam. Now if Jesus was speaking of Himself, then He was referring metaphorically to a future event when the Salvation process was to be refreshed as described in Daniel 9:24b: - "To make reconciliation for iniquity, To bring in everlasting righteousness, To seal up vision and prophecy, And to anoint the Most Holy." But he was also speaking of His "Disciples", and even possibly the Nation of Israel, in that they would be fully instructed in the Kingdom of Heaven to bring Salvation to those who will listen and accept their teaching during that time.

Those that only read the scriptures literally, miss so much of the message hidden within the words.

In Ezekiel 34:12-14 if we read what has been recorded, literally, then we will miss the message context and come to the wrong conclusion. This wrong conclusion has driven Middle Eastern Foreign Policy now for many decades. The "Christians" driving this flawed Middle Eastern Policy are attempting to force God's hand to bring forward the Biblical prophesied event and it has created a festering sore in the Middle East that has increased the Tribulation of the Jewish People during this time of Jacob's Trouble.

In the Garden of Eden, God Entered in a Covenant with Adam and Eve which is best described as the beginning of the Salvation Covenant with all of the people of the world who over time accept the terms and conditions of that Salvation Covenant and adhere to its boundary conditions.

That is what we, at this present time, are responding to, an ancient covenant that has now been made fresh once more by the Cross. It is not a "Brand New" covenant as many seem to want have us believe in, but it is a covenant where we must submit ourselves to God on His Terms and not on ours.

Yes the Bible has been written with many metaphors hidden within its words. Sadly, the scholars with their learned biases have caused the Bible message to have become obscured and difficult to find.

Shalom

Amen, good word.

R

Rita

Thank you for that Rita. Now I understand much clearer.
It would have been easier to have understood earlier if he had explained that himself to us. :)
I 'get it ' now. xx
Helen I have no idea if this is what Joseph thinks, he never commented on this post - this is the conclusion I reached after reading the article that Nancy gave me a link to .......

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Agreed. And when you take everything into account, there is more literal narrative and teaching than figurative language, parables, and metaphors. As Paul said "We use great plainness of speech", and so do God and Christ.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. A certain man;
2. A vineyard;
4. A dresser;
5. Three years;

The doctrine, or mystery, couched under these words is to show us what is like to become of a fruitless or formal professor. For,

1. By the man in the parable is meant God the Father (Luke 15:11).

2. By the vineyard, his church (Isa 5:7).
5. By the fig-tree’s barrenness, the professor’s fruitlessness.

But to take this parable into pieces, and to discourse more particularly, though with all brevity, upon all the parts thereof. 'A certain MAN had a fig-tree planted in his vineyard.' The MAN, I told you, is to present us with God the Father; by which similitude he is often set out in the New Testament. Observe then, that it is no new thing, if you find in God’s church barren fig-trees, fruitless professors; even as here you see is a tree, a fruitless tree, a fruitless fig-tree in the vineyard.

Fruit is not so easily brought forth as a profession is got into; it is easy for a man to clothe himself with a fair show in the flesh, to word it, and say, Be thou warmed and filled with the best. It is no hard thing to do these with other things; but to be fruitful, to bring forth fruit to God, this doth not every tree, no not every fig-tree that stands in the vineyard of God. Those words also, 'Every branch in me that beareth not fruit, he taketh away,' assert the same thing (John 15:2). There are branches in Christ, in Christ’s body mystical, which is his church, his vineyard, that bear not fruit, wherefore the hand of God is to take them away: I looked for grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes, that is, no fruit at all that was acceptable with God (Isa 5:4). Again, 'Israel is an empty vine, he bringeth forth fruit unto himself,' none to God; he is without fruit to God (Hosea 10:1). All these, with many more, show us the truth of the observation, and that God's church may be cumbered with fruitless fig-trees, with barren professors.

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking of John Bunyan, I believe he opened the Pilgrim's Progress with this verse....

I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets. - Hosea 12:10

H1819 - damah - Strong's Hebrew Lexicon (KJV)

Or... Metaphors. And the Pilgrim's Progress has never been out of publication all these centuries.

page15-1024px-The_pilgrims_progress_as_originally_published_by_John_Bunyan_%3B_being_a_facsimile_of_the_first_edition_%281878%29.djvu.jpg

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
RW Schambach preaching the significance of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God in metaphor of the two trumpets..

Make thee two trumpets of silver; of a whole piece shalt thou make them: that thou mayest use them for the calling of the assembly, and for the journeying of the camps. - Numbers 10:2

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan and demons hate the book of revelations too. Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan and demons hate the book of revelations too. Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
It seems no one disputes that hasatan and the fallen angels/demons/ hate all of the truth(Scripture),

but why do most people hate the truth, the light that has come into the world/ all Scripture?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My take on the metaphors of Revelation...

Candlesticks
- Seven church congregations (Messianic, Martyr, Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, Revived, Charismatic)
Stars - Individuals within the congregations, all held in the right hand of Christ
Seals - The seven seals seal each congregation within the lambs book of life

And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. - Revelation 5:4

If this interpretation is not correct why all the ado and the reason to weep much?

254811_e2605e7ea7d44a55b55ec8f9edea64a9.png

On the unsealing of the books there are also a lot of metaphors... The four horseman - White (democracy) Red (communism) Black (economic hard times), Pale (the Anti-Christ). Someone once left a side note to these interpretations....

Side Note:

My words here are merely a possibility of how things may play out. I could be wrong on the interpreting of the seals. Let God be true. In which, I too, could be in error.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If this interpretation is not correct why all the ado and the reason to weep much?
Notice the reason GIVEN, no need to re-interpret, >>
And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. - Revelation 5:4

As for "this interpretation" which was posted, it was not the reason to weep much. (in context seen here, so far).

Note that Ekkesia, as written in Revelation (and the book "Hebrews),
while translated "church", does not refer to churches . It is referring to Ekklesia, directly, not to 'churches' directly, nor indirectly.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaac Newton interpreting the metaphors in Daniel 12....

And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half.” –Daniel 12:7

From a folio cataloged as Yahuda MS 7.3g, f. 13v:

"So then the time times & half a time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, reckoning twelve months to a year & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060.”" - – Isaac Newton

In doing so he explains his reasoning it was because so many were wrong in their interpretations of metaphors....

"“It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast." –- Isaac Newton

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita
Joseph is just using metaphor.

Reactions: Helen and Rita