The Bible is Written in Metaphors

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaac Newton interpreting the metaphors in Daniel 12....

And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half.” –Daniel 12:7

From a folio cataloged as Yahuda MS 7.3g, f. 13v:

"So then the time times & half a time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, reckoning twelve months to a year & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060.”" - – Isaac Newton

In doing so he explains his reasoning it was because so many were wrong in their interpretations of metaphors....

"“It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast." –- Isaac Newton
Those 1260 days, 42 months, 3.5 years, refer only to the time Satan is allowed to "disrupt" God's plan. Revelation 13:5
5 It was given a mouth speaking arrogant blasphemies; and it was given authority to act for forty-two months.

Mar 30, 2020
Arlington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The MAIN cause of misunderstandings concerning the #Bible and its interpretation:

The proud but finite #human mind thinking that it is capable of comprehending the

profundity of the Bible- which is an explanation of the infinite #God. Also, bear in mind that nothing should be interpreted by itself: out of context. Every verse is a part of a cohesive whole- the Bible in its entirety.

Applied practically there are fundamental mistakes made with respect to interpretation due to the following: Some sentences and passages are allegorical, some are literal only, and some are both. If you mistakenly interpret an allegorical part as literal, then you misinterpret it.

For instance: "Behold the lamb of God" does not mean that the person spoken of (#Jesus) is literally a young offspring of a sheep. This phrase is allegorical- with a meaning which is voluminous in content.

The 6-day account in #Genesis chapters1-2 is NOT a literal account of #creation. It is an allegorical account depicting the relationship between the spirit of God, light, and life. If you erroneously take it as being literal, the order of formation of the six different categories of life described in it are NOT in the same chronological order as their sequence in the fossil record. Square peg, round hole.

What can we deduce logically with regards to how #life in general, and #man in particular have gotten here? Remember that man has #free-will and that entails certain ramifications necessary to prevent undue influence of that free will. If the six days of restoration were literal, then evidence of man would suddenly appear in the fossil record starting in 4004 B.C. Any supernatural #creation per se would leave unmistakable evidence of its occurrence, thus interfering with free will. We should expect that God used a "natural," progressive means of forming man. If the #Bible is the Word of God, then science cannot help but substantiate its validity- there should be no actual conflict between the two. Such a means implies a process, unlike that of Genesis 1:1. Is this process, illustrated in the account of the six days, an evolutionary one? Perhaps the tale of the Garden of Eden is not mythological in origin; perhaps it is an allegorical rendition of an actual occurrence, a natural, evolutionary phenomenon.145 The biblical authors had of course no formalized notion of evolution. Unmistakably, however, their description is, in its way, an essentially evolutionary development. 146 And Jehovah God formed man of the dust (Hebrew: clay) of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath (spirit) of life; and man became a living soul. (Gen. 2:7)

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The MAIN cause of misunderstandings concerning the #Bible and its interpretation:

The proud but finite #human mind thinking that it is capable of comprehending the

profundity of the Bible- which is an explanation of the infinite #God. Also, bear in mind that nothing should be interpreted by itself: out of context. Every verse is a part of a cohesive whole- the Bible in its entirety.

Applied practically there are fundamental mistakes made with respect to interpretation due to the following: Some sentences and passages are allegorical, some are literal only, and some are both. If you mistakenly interpret an allegorical part as literal, then you misinterpret it.

For instance: "Behold the lamb of God" does not mean that the person spoken of (#Jesus) is literally a young offspring of a sheep. This phrase is allegorical- with a meaning which is voluminous in content.

The 6-day account in #Genesis chapters1-2 is NOT a literal account of #creation. It is an allegorical account depicting the relationship between the spirit of God, light, and life. If you erroneously take it as being literal, the order of formation of the six different categories of life described in it are NOT in the same chronological order as their sequence in the fossil record. Square peg, round hole.

What can we deduce logically with regards to how #life in general, and #man in particular have gotten here? Remember that man has #free-will and that entails certain ramifications necessary to prevent undue influence of that free will. If the six days of restoration were literal, then evidence of man would suddenly appear in the fossil record starting in 4004 B.C. Any supernatural #creation per se would leave unmistakable evidence of its occurrence, thus interfering with free will. We should expect that God used a "natural," progressive means of forming man. If the #Bible is the Word of God, then science cannot help but substantiate its validity- there should be no actual conflict between the two. Such a means implies a process, unlike that of Genesis 1:1. Is this process, illustrated in the account of the six days, an evolutionary one? Perhaps the tale of the Garden of Eden is not mythological in origin; perhaps it is an allegorical rendition of an actual occurrence, a natural, evolutionary phenomenon.145 The biblical authors had of course no formalized notion of evolution. Unmistakably, however, their description is, in its way, an essentially evolutionary development. 146 And Jehovah God formed man of the dust (Hebrew: clay) of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath (spirit) of life; and man became a living soul. (Gen. 2:7)
I am curious if you are so set in your proof, why you think Genesis 1 is not litetal, but figurative? Is the universe literal or just a figment of your imagination?

If God tells us He created a literal physical universe why would He use a spiritual metaphor, beating around the 'burning' bush.

God was direct, concise, and literal in how He created this physical reality.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John Bunyan was a great writer in metaphors/parables and he explains the use of them in his "The Barren Fig Tree" work (http://www.chapellib.../bun-barren.pdf):

6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down. - Luke 13:6-9

In parables there are two things to be taken notice of, and to be inquired into of them that read.

First, The metaphors made use of.
Second, The doctrine or mysteries couched under such metaphors.

The metaphors in this parable are,
1. A certain man;
2. A vineyard;
3. A fig-tree, barren or fruitless;
4. A dresser;
5. Three years;
6. Digging and dunging, &c.

The doctrine, or mystery, couched under these words is to show us what is like to become of a fruitless or formal professor. For,

1. By the man in the parable is meant God the Father (Luke 15:11).

2. By the vineyard, his church (Isa 5:7).
3. By the fig-tree, a professor.
4. By the dresser, the Lord Jesus.
5. By the fig-tree’s barrenness, the professor’s fruitlessness.
6. By the three years, the patience of God that for a time he extendeth to barren professors.
7. This calling to the dresser of the vineyard to cut it down, is to show the outcries of justice against fruitless professors.
8. The dresser's interceding is to show how the Lord Jesus steps in, and takes hold of the head of his Father's axe, to stop, or at least to defer, the present execution of a barren fig-tree.
9. The dresser's desire to try to make the fig-tree fruitful, is to show you how unwilling he is that even a barren fig-tree should yet be barren, and perish.
10. His digging about it, and dunging of it, is to show his willingness to apply gospel helps to this barren professor, if haply he may be fruitful.
11. The supposition that the fig-tree may yet continue fruitless, is to show, that when Christ Jesus hath done all, there are some professors will abide barren and fruitless.
12. The determination upon this supposition, at last to cut it down, is a certain prediction of such professor’s unavoidable and eternal damnation.

But to take this parable into pieces, and to discourse more particularly, though with all brevity, upon all the parts thereof. 'A certain MAN had a fig-tree planted in his vineyard.' The MAN, I told you, is to present us with God the Father; by which similitude he is often set out in the New Testament. Observe then, that it is no new thing, if you find in God’s church barren fig-trees, fruitless professors; even as here you see is a tree, a fruitless tree, a fruitless fig-tree in the vineyard.

Fruit is not so easily brought forth as a profession is got into; it is easy for a man to clothe himself with a fair show in the flesh, to word it, and say, Be thou warmed and filled with the best. It is no hard thing to do these with other things; but to be fruitful, to bring forth fruit to God, this doth not every tree, no not every fig-tree that stands in the vineyard of God. Those words also, 'Every branch in me that beareth not fruit, he taketh away,' assert the same thing (John 15:2). There are branches in Christ, in Christ’s body mystical, which is his church, his vineyard, that bear not fruit, wherefore the hand of God is to take them away: I looked for grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes, that is, no fruit at all that was acceptable with God (Isa 5:4). Again, 'Israel is an empty vine, he bringeth forth fruit unto himself,' none to God; he is without fruit to God (Hosea 10:1). All these, with many more, show us the truth of the observation, and that God's church may be cumbered with fruitless fig-trees, with barren professors.

Your post is giving me a Déjà vu moment as poor old John Bunyan and many others have got the parable so wrong.

I have previously posted on this parable and I will do so again.

This parable was told to a Jewish audience and the brief outline of this parable is that if Israel does not repent of their evil deeds by the end of the fourth age when it is inspected for good fruit produced by or at the end of the fourth age, then the fig tree at the very start of the fifth age of its existence will be cut down and destroyed by being thrown in the fire.

Jesus also said this in the following verses: -

Matthew 7:15-20 You Will Know Them by Their Fruits
(Matt 12:33; Luke 6:43-45)

15 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.​

Let me unpack this parable a little for you: -

The Fig Tree God planted began with the birth of Isaac. (Isaac's birth was the confirmation of God's covenant undertakings made with Abraham, and whose descendants were to become know as Israel.) Around 1,000 plus years later, God inspects the fig tree and finds no good fruit. Likewise after another 1,000 plus years had passed, God inspected the fig tree and found no good fruit, and then after the third season of 1,000 plus years, when He had inspected the Fig Tree and found no good fruit, he said to the dresser of the vineyard, to cut down the fig tree and asked the Dresser why should the fig tree draw nourishment from the soil also if it will not produce good fruit.

However, the Dresser responded and requested that another season, about 1,000 plus years of grace be given to the fig tree and if no good fruit is to be found then, the Dresser conceited that God could cut down the Fig tree at that time.

This parable was a warning to All of Israel, that if they did not repent of their continuous idolatrous practices that by the end of the fourth age, and turn once more into a covenant relationship with God that He, God, would destroy them from the face of the earth.

There are many prophetic verse in the Old Testament that tells us that after the passing of four ages/days of the Lord, that Israel will turn again back to God and that God will make like new again the Kingdom of Priests, a Holy Nation and God's possession among the Nations Covenant so that the covenant is fresh and meaningful once more for the remnant of Israel.

Sadly, this parable, like the Parable of the Talents has been used by zealous preachers to "wrongly encourage" their congregation to work hard to bring in the Kingdom of God so that the End Times will become imminent. God has a plan for the church, but that Plan as Paul tells us is to make Israel Jealous of the Gentile Church such that they too renew their relationship with God.

In this Parable, Jesus hints at when the visitation of the iniquities during the third and the fourth {age} of the fathers on their Children and their Children's children, will be finished. We also know from OT prophecies that after the the two ages of the visitation of the iniquities for two ages, that God will hear their cries once more and will begin to gather the remnant of Israel to Himself for His purposes.

Although John Bunyan was well intended, I would question his motive as to why he has interpreted this parable in this manner.

Not every past commentator should be easily accepted as presenting the truth.

The above application of this parable by John Bunyan to the church is not applicable with respect to this parable as recorded in Luke 13:6-9 whoever the above Matthew 7:15-20 passage was applicable to the message John Bunyan was attempting to present and he did make a passing reference to it in the above passage.

Shalom

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me unpack this parable a little for you: -

Hmmm, the only thing you unpacked was lots of embellishment.

You're way off track. Share with us anyone who also believes the above, like some commentary, work of godly men, scholarly &c.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan and demons hate the book of revelations too. Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
The Book of Revelations? I don't have that one in my Bible. :D

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hmmm, the only thing you unpacked was lots of embellishment.

You're way off track. Share with us anyone who also believes the above, like some commentary, work of godly men, scholarly &c.
@Helen see what I mean about intellectual corruption on display here.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So you have no one to back up your error and embellishment. Got it.

Now why do I need to have a back up person to justify what I have posted. If my outline of the parable that I gave was wrong, then back it up with facts that do not attack the writer, as this is a false argument which says more about you than about me, and you know that that is so.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now why do I need to have a back up person to justify what I have posted. If my outline of the parable that I gave was wrong, then back it up with facts that do not attack the writer, as this is a false argument which says more about you than about me, and you know that that is so.
Asking you to provide other sources isn't an attack, yet your above can be seen that way. You embellished into the text things not there: totally eisegetical with zero proof or evidence to back it up. Saying this means this, and this means this doesn't make it true.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Asking you to provide other sources isn't an attack, yet your above can be seen that way. You embellished into the text things not there: totally eisegetical with zero proof or evidence to back it up. Saying this means this, and this means this doesn't make it true.

You are so right, but you have linked yourself to this web page which I assume that you either own or are a member of with sign in rights.

upload_2020-4-11_9-30-30.png

If this is so, then you are being deceptive with your claims in your membership data on display below your name in your posts and as such anything that you say is irrelevant.

Go and annoy someone else somewhere else.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems no one disputes that hasatan and the fallen angels/demons/ hate all of the truth(Scripture),

but why do most people hate the truth, the light that has come into the world/ all Scripture?

Scripture truth is hated because those living in darkness do not want their sin to be exposed!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture truth is hated because those living in darkness do not want their sin to be exposed!
Jeremiah 51:17 NASB: All mankind is stupid, devoid of ...

Jeremiah 51:17 NASB: All mankind is stupid, devoid of knowledge; Every goldsmith is put to shame by his idols, For his molten images are deceitful, And there is no breath in them.
All mankind is stupid, devoid of knowledge; Every goldsmith is put to shame by his idols, For his molten images are deceitful, And there is no breath in them. King James Bible Every man is brutish by his knowledge; every founder is confounded by the graven image: for his molten image is falsehood, and there is no breath in them. Darby Bible ...

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hi Gismys ...nice to see you taking part in other threads here, makes a nice change from you only posting on your own threads. :)

Reactions: Nancy

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible, especially Revelation, is written with much metaphor. I cannot believe one can study Revelation, and the bible, and see the same perspective as another fellow believer. ... And to give example...

My personal favorite is:

Rev. 13:2 2 And the beast that I saw was like a leopard, its feet were like a bear’s, and its mouth was like a lion’s mouth. ...

Metaphor, simile, analogy, allegory, or literal? I would argue allegory. And people who cannot explain how Scripture has some allegorical/literal component, most default to some version of spiritualizing.

I would argue that the leopard (actually a "TIGER") is the BODY of the beast; the bear is the FEET; and the lion is the MOUTH for a specific and definitive reason. Given in the Daniel 7 leopard (actually a "TIGER") is China, which has the greatest population and thus is the "body" which has the most mass. The bear is Russia which has the most land mass, -- 8M vs 3M each for the U.S. Canada, and China. And the lion/eagle is expert in Trade, Technology & Science, and Finance, -- which are in the "head" and it's methods are enunciated.

But who would have guessed?
Bobby Jo

Last edited:
Reactions: rockytopva

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible, especially Revelation, is written with much metaphor. I cannot believe one can study Revelation, and the bible, and see the same perspective as another fellow believer. You will agree and disagree on the interpretation of different passages. If a pastor prepares a message and does so in prayer and in council of the Holy Spirit it will bless the ears and hearts of those listening. If someone goes to interpret scriptural prophecy and does so in the flesh such interpretation will not go over with blessing. And to give example....

John Bunyan was a great writer in metaphors/parables and he explains the use of them in his "The Barren Fig Tree" work (http://www.chapellib.../bun-barren.pdf):

6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down. - Luke 13:6-9

In parables there are two things to be taken notice of, and to be inquired into of them that read.

First, The metaphors made use of.
Second, The doctrine or mysteries couched under such metaphors.

The metaphors in this parable are,
1. A certain man;
2. A vineyard;
3. A fig-tree, barren or fruitless;
4. A dresser;
5. Three years;
6. Digging and dunging, &c.

The doctrine, or mystery, couched under these words is to show us what is like to become of a fruitless or formal professor. For...

1. By the man in the parable is meant God the Father.
2. By the vineyard, his church.
3. By the fig-tree, a professor.
4. By the dresser, the Lord Jesus.
5. By the fig-tree’s barrenness, the professor's fruitlessness.
6. By the three years, the patience of God that for a time he extendeth to barren professors.
7. This calling to the dresser of the vineyard to cut it down, is to show the outcries of justice against fruitless professors.
8. The dresser's interceding is to show how the Lord Jesus steps in, and takes hold of the head of his Father's axe, to stop, or at least to defer, the present execution of a barren fig-tree.
9. The dresser's desire to try to make the fig-tree fruitful, is to show you how unwilling he is that even a barren fig-tree should yet be barren, and perish.
10. His digging about it, and dunging of it, is to show his willingness to apply gospel helps to this barren professor, if haply he may be fruitful.
11. The supposition that the fig-tree may yet continue fruitless, is to show, that when Christ Jesus hath done all, there are some professors will abide barren and fruitless.
12. The determination upon this supposition, at last to cut it down, is a certain prediction of such professor’s unavoidable and eternal damnation.

But to take this parable into pieces, and to discourse more particularly, though with all brevity, upon all the parts thereof. "A certain MAN had a fig-tree planted in his vineyard." The MAN, I told you, is to present us with God the Father; by which similitude he is often set out in the New Testament. Observe then, that it is no new thing, if you find in God's church barren fig-trees, fruitless professors; even as here you see is a tree, a fruitless tree, a fruitless fig-tree in the vineyard.

Fruit is not so easily brought forth as a profession is got into; it is easy for a man to clothe himself with a fair show in the flesh, to word it, and say, Be thou warmed and filled with the best. It is no hard thing to do these with other things; but to be fruitful, to bring forth fruit to God, this doth not every tree, no not every fig-tree that stands in the vineyard of God. Those words also, "Every branch in me that beareth not fruit, he taketh away," assert the same thing. There are branches in Christ, in Christ's body mystical, which is his church, his vineyard, that bear not fruit, wherefore the hand of God is to take them away: I looked for grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes, that is, no fruit at all that was acceptable with God (Isaiah 5:4). Again, Israel is an empty vine, he bringeth forth fruit unto himself, none to God; he is without fruit to God (Hosea 10:1). All these, with many more, show us the truth of the observation, and that God’s church may be cumbered with fruitless fig-trees, with barren professors.
A metaphor is a type of lying.

The Bible was using physical comparisons, not made up stories.

The parables were real events in history, not fictitious accounts.

Jesus' imagination never ran wild, nor was he a silly story teller.

Lying, Metaphor, and Hyperbole - Oxford Handbooks

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A metaphor is a type of lying.

Please use a DICTIONARY:

"He's become a shell of a man."
"He's the black sheep of the family."
"Your humor kills me."

It conveys a figurative depiction which we can relate to. And it's not a "lie".
Bobby Jo

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please use a DICTIONARY:

"He's become a shell of a man."
"He's the black sheep of the family."
"Your humor kills me."

It conveys a figurative depiction which we can relate to. And it's not a "lie".
Bobby Jo
Sure it is. That is precisely why the educational sinners call our Bible a book of lies. Because we call it a book of metaphors. Think about it

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure it is. That is precisely why the educational sinners call our Bible a book of lies. Because we call it a book of metaphors. Think about it
Accusing someone of being black is a lie if they are not black, etc. Instead of calling a person a "no good deadbeat" to their face even if it is true, is the same thing as calling them a "black sheep". That is not lying because "black sheep" is a pictorial way of saying "no good deadbeat".

Perhaps it is a lie, if the black sheep was actually kind and nice.