The Biblical Basis for Catholic Distinctives

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're the Catholic. About whom other than the pope would a Catholic say, "thou art another God on earth"?

Did a Catholic actually say this?

Could Jesus be the "God on earth"?

How about a Pagan God?

Or...the anti-Christ?

Or...your neighbor?

Even if a Catholic wrote this, it doesn't mean that ALL Catholics--nor the Pope-- believes it. As a Catholic, *I* certainly don't believe it.

Once again, it depends on context. In order to get context, you have to read--and correctly interpret--what was written before and after the sentence.

Also, the quote starts out with the words "thou art"...in other words, 'YOU are..."...which means that the other person (the Pope for example) isn't saying this about himself. The writer is saying this about someone else, "YOU are another God on earth". But WHO is the writer talking about? Without the text before and after, we have no idea.

If it isn't accepted by the Church, why is there no record of the Church having renounced it?
Do you really think the Church has the time or the inclination to "renounce" EVERYTHING that's written about it? Does the Church even know everything that's written about it? Hardly.

Silence on a matter is NOT an admission of guilt...or acceptance. Even Jesus was silent before his accusers at times. By his silence, was he agreeing with his accusers?

By his silence, Jesus was saying, "Hey! If you reeeeeally want to believe what you're saying, go for it!"

And the Church often does the same thing. It often shrugs its shoulders against the lies, knowing that eventually, the truth will prevail.

ETA: Catholics are not "hive-minded". I plan on going to Mass tomorrow morning. I'll be in the same church with about 50 other Catholics and I can tell you...we don't ALL believe the same thing.

Some of them can't stand the Pope. Some revere the Pope. Some haven't been to Confession in decades. Others go once a week. Some of the women dress as if they're going to a club after church--with their low-cut blouses. Others wouldn't even dream of attending Mass with their ankles showing. Some haven't even picked up a Bible. Others read the Bible daily for hours a day.

But the point is, that we all come together because of our basic beliefs...which is found in the Nicene Creed. Now granted...not all Catholics practice those beliefs...

But the ones who do, do their darndest to be a living example of a Christ-like life.

And they know they fail at it, each and every day... just like other people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Illuminator

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Catholic Church does NOT teach that the Pope is higher than God, nor does it hold the Pope on higher esteem than God in practice.

Where in the world anti-Catholics get their false information from is beyond me.
If a man assumes the authority to overturn God's Commandments, then he is claiming a higher authority than God.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Once again, it depends on context. In order to get context, you have to read--and correctly interpret--what was written before and after the sentence.

Also, the quote starts out with the words "thou art"...in other words, 'YOU are..."...which means that the other person (the Pope for example) isn't saying this about himself. The writer is saying this about someone else, "YOU are another God on earth". But WHO is the writer talking about? Without the text before and after, we have no idea.

We know by reading Labbe and Cossart’s “History of the Councils.” Vol. XIV, col. 109. Surely your priest can provide you with a copy of it.

Do you really think the Church has the time or the inclination to "renounce" EVERYTHING that's written about it? Does the Church even know everything that's written about it? Hardly.

How does the Church not know what is contained in Labbe and Cossart’s “History of the Councils” Vol. XIV, col. 109? Does it deny that Labbe and Cossart ever existed? Or that “History of the Councils” was ever written? Or that “History of the Councils” contains Vol. XIV, col. 109?

It certainly does know. Labbe and Cossart and their work are documented in the Catholic Encyclopedia.

And the Church has never publicly and unequivocally renounced the claim about the pope contained in “History of the Councils” Vol. XIV, col. 109, or any of the many other examples like it.

Last edited:

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a man assumes the authority to overturn God's Commandments, then he is claiming a higher authority than God.
And the Pope overturned God's Commandments...WHEN? Exactly?

Sorry, but I hear more non-Catholic "Christians" tout about how the OT "doesn't matter anymore"...INCLUDING the 10 Commandments.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We know by reading Labbe and Cossart’s “History of the Councils.” Vol. XIV, col. 109. Surely your priest can provide you with a copy of it.
Do YOU have a copy of it? I'm guessing no.

How does the Church not know what is contained in Labbe and Cossart’s “History of the Councils” Vol. XIV, col. 109? Does it deny that Labbe and Cossart ever existed? Or that “History of the Councils” was ever written? Or that “History of the Councils” contains XIV, col. 109?
Who gives a hoot if it was? Again, do you REALLY believe that EVERYTHING that was written about the Catholic Church was "approved" by Catholics?

It certainly does know. Labbe and Cossart and their work are documented in the Catholic Encyclopedia.
So...? That means nothing.

And the Church has never publicly and unequivocally renounced the claim about the pope contained in “History of the Councils” Vol. XIV, col. 109, or any of the many other examples like it.
You're ignoring what I wrote before.

Why does the Church HAVE to do this? Why do they HAVE to "publically and unequivocally" renounce this false claim?

If someone made a false claim about YOU, YOU are not obligated to contest it. You may want to contest it. But you're not obligated to do so.

And neither is the Church.

You're not interested in doing the hard work of others ahead of you. You're only interested in gripping onto the heels of others who also read a passage or a sentence and make an assumption about what was written.

Please do your research. Yes, it's long. And tedious. Others before you have done it. And THEY came to a different conclusion that YOU did.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummmmm, no.
The following is a fail . . .

QUESTIONS:
Ummmm - where is the word, "Protestant" in Scripture?
"Lutheran"?
"Non-Denominational"?
"Revival"?

Can you show me where the Bible mentions the word, "Bible" - or the list of Books that beliongs in it?

While you're letting that sink in - show me where the Bible mentions ANY of the followoing false Protestant ideas: by name . . .
"Sola Scriptura"?
"Sola Fide"?
"Accepting Christ as 'personal Lord and Savior'"?
"Limited Atonement"?
"Altar Call"?
"Eternal Security"?

"Pre-Millennial"?

YOUT response?
Uhhhh - I refuse to answer that!
Those questions are irrelevant!

As "irrelevant" as demanding to be shown ehere the wornd, "Catholic" is found in Scripture?
A gigantic hypocritical failure on yout part . . .

Wrong again.

The word Protest is found in Scripture.
A Protest-ant is the person who disagrees with another person whose Spiritual teaching and beliefs are “source based” outside of Scripture, without ability to verify and validate within the Scriptural text what the other teaches and believes.

Having a word war with you IS irrelevant.

* You have already revealed numerous times “you quote from men outside of Scriptures”, as your verification, validation and defense to believe and teach your beliefs.

* You have already revealed numerous times, YOU CHANGE an individual’s COMMENTS, by INSERTING “YOUR WORDS”....THEN...YOU search the Scriptures THAT NEGATIVELY APPLY to that which “YOU have CHANGED the other’s WORDS”.......
AND desperately try to CLAIM “YOUR WORDS” (are the others words), and a NEGATIVE Scripture thus APPLIES to them.

* When Your “outside of Scripture verification is Ignored”, When You are called out rewriting an others words.
* Your backup method IS name-calling, making false accusation and deflecting to other off topic points.

* What YOU do is not mysterious or unnoticed.
It’s called GASLIGHTING.
It’s called CIRCUMVENTING.
It’s called desperately trying to use Scripture as a WEAPON.

* I don’t care what you believe, or your outside of Scripture sources as your validation for your beliefs.
* I don’t care about your distain of another’s reliance ON Scripture for verification of Gods Truth.
* I don’t care how many times you Gaslight, Circumvent, attempt to use Scripture as a Weapon, against others.

* Everything YOU DO, is your works, accounted TO YOU.
* Everything YOU DO, has zero negative effect ON ME.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the Pope overturned God's Commandments...WHEN? Exactly?

Sorry, but I hear more non-Catholic "Christians" tout about how the OT "doesn't matter anymore"...INCLUDING the 10 Commandments.

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between, knowing Commandments HAVING BEEN fulfilled and simply saying this Command or that Command is no longer an issue (matter), to contend with or consider.

Commandments of God, ARE part of Mosaic (Jewish) Law.
Clearly the Mosaic Jewish Law, APPLIED to Israel Tribesmen, not Gentiles.
Clearly Jesus came to FULFILL Many of ISRAELS (Tribesmen) LAWS.
Clearly Jesus FULFILLED Many of ISRAELS Laws.
Clearly Jesus DID NOT ABOLISH the Law of ISRAEL (Tribesmen)...all being referenced under the one identity as JEWS.

Clearly SINCE Jesus’ arrival TO Earth and departure FROM Earth...
Many revelations and mysteries occurred.
* Some Jews, were hearing, were believing, Jesus WAS the arrival of the foretold Jewish Christ Messiah.
* Some Jews, were hearing, were rejecting, Jesus WAS NOT the arrival of the foretold Jewish Christ Messiah.

** DEPENDING on what ever a JEW BELIEVED (then or now)...determines “IF” the Mosaic (Jewish) Law...Continues To APPLY to them...or Has Been fulfilled.

** WHAT does that have to do with a GENTILE who was NEVER UNDER JEWISH LAW?

* A Gentile would FIRST have to “MAKE himself INCLUDED and SUBJECT TO” to Jewish Law........
(Same as an ISRAELITE did...WHEN God gave Moses Gods Law...WHEN Moses gave the ISRAELITES Gods Law.....WHEN the ISRAELITES ALL AGREED to be SUBJECT TO THE LAW)
^^^ THAT you will find IN Scripture. One Example;
Ex: 19:
[8] And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

* As an individual Gentile...IF YOU have AGREED to DO ALL that God Commanded, THAT IS your freewill choice, to declare, to do, or not.

* As an individual Gentile...IF YOU have AGREED then DO what YOU AGREED TO DO....Follow the Mosaic Jewish Laws, Take pure animals to the Temple, Offer such animal to the Rabbi/Priest for slaughter, FOR atonement /for sins you have committed over the past year. Repeatedly Commit Sin Against God. Repeatedly Ask God for forgiveness of sinning Against Him. Repeatedly Commit Sin against men (according to Jewish Law), Repeatedly Ask men for Forgiveness of Sinning Against a man. Continue holding ALL the Sabbath Days....the Seventh Day For Worship unto God....the Sabbaths for Particular Remembrances of Gods Works For the ISRAELITES...the FEAST Days...the FESTIVAL Days.....
THAT is YOUR freewill choice to INCLUDE yourself.

* SOME Gentiles have Chosen to NOT INCLUDE themselves IN Mosaic Jewish Law.
* SOME Gentiles have Chosen to INCLUDE THEMSELVES IN Belief of the Mosaic Jewish Heavenly GOD.
* SOME Gentiles have Chosen to INCLUDE THEMSELVES IN Belief of the ONE the Mosaic Jewish Heavenly God ... SENT FORTH OUT FROM GOD IN HEAVEN TO EARTH... and revealed... this is the promised Christ Messiah, call Him JESUS, call him Son of man, call Him Gods Son, TRUST and KNOW He is the CHRIST MESSIAH, sent to DELIVER men from SIN against God.

^^^ NOTICE a difference BETWEEN what men are told to CALL HIM...and KNOW WHO He IS?
(Anyone can CALL Him by His Name....the BIG Picture IS KNOWING WHO His IS.)

A Gentile WHO IS NOT INCLUDED in Mosaic Law......is simply NOT INCLUDED.
(Same as an American citizen IS NOT INCLUDED in Chinese LAW).

A Gentile WHO IS INCLUDED in BELIEF of the Jewish God....and THAT Jesus IS the Jewish Christ Messiah......and THAT Jesus DID come forth OUT FROM God IN Heaven, TO EARTH, and DID fulfill the Jewish Law...
AND FURTHER.....TRUSTS to BELIEVE...HE has the Authority to FORGIVE ANY man (Jew or Gentile), of ALL their SINS AGAINST the Heavenly God...
AND FURTHER.....CONFESSES their BELIEF...is AGREEING to DO ALL God says for “them” TO DO.
(Same as the Israelites CONFESSED Belief and Agreed to DO ALL God Said)

SO...Regarding such (^^) a GENTILE....
IF ... YOU ARE such that Gentile.......
DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU agreed TO DO?

By the numerous posts on this forum, it appears many calling themselves the generic terms...
“Christian”, “believers”, “water baptized” “church attendees”...
* Many Fail to mention or give an “indication” of even knowing WHAT they agreed to.
* Many (by their posts), appear AS IF, they have AGREED to COMPLY and BE included with Mosaic Jewish Law.

Just saying, generic terms mean nothing to me. Kind of, Sort of, applying Jewish Law when Favorable and not applying Jewish Law when Not Favorable is wishy washy.
IF” a man has Freely Chosen to Belief IN Christ Jesus, AND Accepted His Offering of Salvation (according TO Christ Jesus’ WAY).... that man SHOULD KNOW exactly DOES and DOES NOT apply to him...AND WHY.

I don’t turn to the catholic pope to consider his beliefs to decide my beliefs, so your point about the catholic pope is irrelevant to me.

* Regarding your point of “non-Catholics”.... that the Ten Commandment do not “matter”...... clarify YOUR POINT...

* IS Following the Ten Commandments of God given the ISRAELITES, a requirement OF ALL Catholics? IF so...WHY?
* DO YOU BELIEVE that following the Ten Commandments of God given the ISRAELITES, is ... IRRELEVANT with ALL non-Catholics?

Thanks,
Taken

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It certainly taught back then that the pope is equal to God. What pope formally and publicly renounced that teaching?
Name, date, and verbatim renunciation, please.

If you're doubting:
“...the appellation of God had been confirmed by Constantine on the Pope, who, being God, cannot be judged by man.” – Labb IX Dist.: 96 Can. 7, Satis evidentur, Decret Gratian Primer Para.
Your first mistake is in thinlking that Conastantine - a poagan emperor - had ANY power to proclaim doctrine within the Church.

Although some may have wrongly held this opinion - this has NEVR been a teaching of the Church. So, the onus is on YOU tp produce this official teaching from the Catechism - at ANY point in Church history.

From the Catechism:
II. "Him Only Shall You Serve"

2095 The theological virtues of faith, hope, and charity inform and give life to the moral virtues. Thus charity leads us to render to God what we as creatures owe him in all justice. the virtue of religion disposes us to have this attitude.

Adoration
2096 Adoration is the first act of the virtue of religion. To adore God is to acknowledge him as God, as the Creator and Savior, the Lord and Master of everything that exists, as infinite and merciful Love. "You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve," says Jesus, citing Deuteronomy.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. The CC doesn't teach that. But in practise the CC holds the Pope on higher esteem than God, with the assumed power and authority to overturn even God's Commandments.
That's complete nonsesne and YOU know it.
I can spew the SAME manure aboiuyt you SDAs worshiping Ellen G. White - and it would be as equally-stupid as your claom.

Reactions: Mink57

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong again.
The word Protest is found in Scripture.

A Protest-ant is the person who disagrees with another person whose Spiritual teaching and beliefs are “source based” outside of Scripture, without ability to verify and validate within the Scriptural text what the other teaches and believes.
Chapter and Verse - and CONTEXT, please.

Also
- where are the other Protestant terms I asked about - namely:
"Lutheran"?
"Non-Denominational"?
"Revival"?
"Sola Scriptura"?
"Sola Fide"?
"Accepting Christ as 'personal Lord and Savior'"?
"Limited Atonement"?
"Altar Call"?
"Eternal Security"?

"Pre-Millennial"?

Or even "Bible"?

Whete is the list of Books that beliongs in the Bible?
where the Bible mentions ANY of the followoing false Protestant ideas: by name . . .

Your response is a colossal FAIL.
Having a word war with you IS irrelevant.
Then, why did YOU start one back in post #561, when you demanded that I show you where the Bible uses the word, "Catholic"?
As usual - you brought a pea-shooter to a gunfight.

You see, Einstein - your idiocy ALWAYS comes back to bite you . . .

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BreadOfLife, @Illuminator

We may have some things we agree on. What does the word "bread" mean in the Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13?
Is it "bread" = "earthly needs"?

This is not a trick question. And I don't aim to take the discussion off track.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We may have some things we agree on. What does the word "bread" mean in the Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13?

This is not a trick question. And I don't aim to take the discussion off track.
Whereas, there is no official teaching on whether this means our daily need or the Eucharist - it can mean BOTH.

It actually translates as something like, "super-substantial" bread - so, yes - it CAN mean the Eucharist. The general belief is that it 's probably moth.

Jan 27, 2022
Frisco
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BreadOfLife
Thank you. So if it means Eucharist, then we can equally receive the body of Jesus either by reciting this prayer in our hearts, or by eating the actual bread during communion in the church? It would be the same?

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between, knowing Commandments HAVING BEEN fulfilled and simply saying this Command or that Command is no longer an issue (matter), to contend with or consider.

Commandments of God, ARE part of Mosaic (Jewish) Law.
Clearly the Mosaic Jewish Law, APPLIED to Israel Tribesmen, not Gentiles.
Clearly Jesus came to FULFILL Many of ISRAELS (Tribesmen) LAWS.
Clearly Jesus FULFILLED Many of ISRAELS Laws.
Clearly Jesus DID NOT ABOLISH the Law of ISRAEL (Tribesmen)...all being referenced under the one identity as JEWS.

Clearly SINCE Jesus’ arrival TO Earth and departure FROM Earth...
Many revelations and mysteries occurred.
* Some Jews, were hearing, were believing, Jesus WAS the arrival of the foretold Jewish Christ Messiah.
* Some Jews, were hearing, were rejecting, Jesus WAS NOT the arrival of the foretold Jewish Christ Messiah.

** DEPENDING on what ever a JEW BELIEVED (then or now)...determines “IF” the Mosaic (Jewish) Law...Continues To APPLY to them...or Has Been fulfilled.

** WHAT does that have to do with a GENTILE who was NEVER UNDER JEWISH LAW?

* A Gentile would FIRST have to “MAKE himself INCLUDED and SUBJECT TO” to Jewish Law........
(Same as an ISRAELITE did...WHEN God gave Moses Gods Law...WHEN Moses gave the ISRAELITES Gods Law.....WHEN the ISRAELITES ALL AGREED to be SUBJECT TO THE LAW)
^^^ THAT you will find IN Scripture. One Example;
Ex: 19:
[8] And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

* As an individual Gentile...IF YOU have AGREED to DO ALL that God Commanded, THAT IS your freewill choice, to declare, to do, or not.

* As an individual Gentile...IF YOU have AGREED then DO what YOU AGREED TO DO....Follow the Mosaic Jewish Laws, Take pure animals to the Temple, Offer such animal to the Rabbi/Priest for slaughter, FOR atonement /for sins you have committed over the past year. Repeatedly Commit Sin Against God. Repeatedly Ask God for forgiveness of sinning Against Him. Repeatedly Commit Sin against men (according to Jewish Law), Repeatedly Ask men for Forgiveness of Sinning Against a man. Continue holding ALL the Sabbath Days....the Seventh Day For Worship unto God....the Sabbaths for Particular Remembrances of Gods Works For the ISRAELITES...the FEAST Days...the FESTIVAL Days.....
THAT is YOUR freewill choice to INCLUDE yourself.

* SOME Gentiles have Chosen to NOT INCLUDE themselves IN Mosaic Jewish Law.
* SOME Gentiles have Chosen to INCLUDE THEMSELVES IN Belief of the Mosaic Jewish Heavenly GOD.
* SOME Gentiles have Chosen to INCLUDE THEMSELVES IN Belief of the ONE the Mosaic Jewish Heavenly God ... SENT FORTH OUT FROM GOD IN HEAVEN TO EARTH... and revealed... this is the promised Christ Messiah, call Him JESUS, call him Son of man, call Him Gods Son, TRUST and KNOW He is the CHRIST MESSIAH, sent to DELIVER men from SIN against God.

^^^ NOTICE a difference BETWEEN what men are told to CALL HIM...and KNOW WHO He IS?
(Anyone can CALL Him by His Name....the BIG Picture IS KNOWING WHO His IS.)

A Gentile WHO IS NOT INCLUDED in Mosaic Law......is simply NOT INCLUDED.
(Same as an American citizen IS NOT INCLUDED in Chinese LAW).

A Gentile WHO IS INCLUDED in BELIEF of the Jewish God....and THAT Jesus IS the Jewish Christ Messiah......and THAT Jesus DID come forth OUT FROM God IN Heaven, TO EARTH, and DID fulfill the Jewish Law...
AND FURTHER.....TRUSTS to BELIEVE...HE has the Authority to FORGIVE ANY man (Jew or Gentile), of ALL their SINS AGAINST the Heavenly God...
AND FURTHER.....CONFESSES their BELIEF...is AGREEING to DO ALL God says for “them” TO DO.
(Same as the Israelites CONFESSED Belief and Agreed to DO ALL God Said)

SO...Regarding such (^^) a GENTILE....
IF ... YOU ARE such that Gentile.......
DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU agreed TO DO?

By the numerous posts on this forum, it appears many calling themselves the generic terms...
“Christian”, “believers”, “water baptized” “church attendees”...
* Many Fail to mention or give an “indication” of even knowing WHAT they agreed to.
* Many (by their posts), appear AS IF, they have AGREED to COMPLY and BE included with Mosaic Jewish Law.

Just saying, generic terms mean nothing to me. Kind of, Sort of, applying Jewish Law when Favorable and not applying Jewish Law when Not Favorable is wishy washy.
IF” a man has Freely Chosen to Belief IN Christ Jesus, AND Accepted His Offering of Salvation (according TO Christ Jesus’ WAY).... that man SHOULD KNOW exactly DOES and DOES NOT apply to him...AND WHY.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don’t turn to the catholic pope to consider his beliefs to decide my beliefs, so your point about the catholic pope is irrelevant to me.

* Regarding your point of “non-Catholics”.... that the Ten Commandment do not “matter”...... clarify YOUR POINT...
* IS Following the Ten Commandments of God given the ISRAELITES, a requirement OF ALL Catholics? IF so...WHY?
* DO YOU BELIEVE that following the Ten Commandments of God given the ISRAELITES, is ... IRRELEVANT with ALL non-Catholics?

Thanks,
Taken

To address what I bolded under the "-----" in red:

I don't turn to the Pope to consider his beliefs, either. Then again, I don't pay much mind to what the POTUS says or does. I simply have no stomach for politics.

In my day-to-day life, I deal more with non-Catholics than Catholics, especially atheists and non-denominational Christians. Every so often, a discussion about the 10 Commandments arises. Some of the Christians have shrugged their shoulders and claimed that the 10 Commandments "don't matter anymore" (the reason for the quotes is because those are their words; not mine!). I have pressed by asking, "So, you're telling me that it's o.k. for you to lie? To commit adultery?" They basically shrug again, while saying, "I doesn't matter, because no matter what I do, as long as I believe in Jesus, I'll go to heaven!"

IS Following the Ten Commandments of God given the ISRAELITES, a requirement OF ALL Catholics? IF so...WHY?
It's a requirement of all Catholics who have the capacity---that is, the ability and the knowledge to follow them. For example, if a four year old who was baptized as a Catholic steals something, they may have no knowledge that stealing is wrong. Once they learn it's wrong, then they have the obligation not to steal.

When one of the Sadducees asked Jesus, "Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?" Jesus said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and prophets depend on these two commandments." Matthew 22:36-40.

However, simply saying that "You shall love the Lord with all your heart...soul...and mind" isn't enough. HOW do we love the Lord with all our heart...?

The first way is found in the first of the 10 Commandments. (Rather than quibble over whether it's the first 3 or the first 4 Commandments that pertains to God, let's just say the first "few".) By confessing that God is the ONLY ONE TRUE GOD...by not taking the Lord's name in vain...by keeping the Sabbath. The rest of the 10 Commandments pertains to HOW we can love our 'neighbor'...by not lying to them, stealing from them, killing them, committing adultery, etc.

The Catholic Catechism explains each of these commandments in more depth.

I see Matthew 22:36-40 as the "umbrella" under which the 10 Commandments (and others) are housed.

DO YOU BELIEVE that following the Ten Commandments of God given the ISRAELITES, is ... IRRELEVANT with ALL non-Catholics?
Of course not. I try very hard to stay away from absolutes like "all", "everything", "never", "always", etc....

...except to say that ALL people are different! ;) I've actually known a few atheists who act more Catholic than some Catholics, and a few Christians who act more like atheists than some other Christians!

Anyway...I hope I answered your questions, Taken!

Reactions: Taken

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is not a trick question. And
@BreadOfLife
Thank you. So if it means Eucharist, then we can equally receive the body of Jesus either by reciting this prayer in our hearts, or by eating the actual bread during communion in the church? It would be the same?

@Christian Believer and @BreadOfLife

The following is taken from the Catholic Catechism online. The entire passage about what "bread" means is found from 2830 to 2835. I didn't copy the entire passage (not sure if it's allowed on this forum), but I've included the link below.

2830 "Our bread": the Father who gives us life cannot not but give us the nourishment life requires - all appropriate goods and blessings, both material and spiritual. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus insists on the filial trust that cooperates with our Father's providence. He is not inviting us to idleness, but wants to relieve us from nagging worry and preoccupation. Such is the filial surrender of the children of God:

To those who seek the kingdom of God and his righteousness, he has promised to give all else besides. Since everything indeed belongs to God, he who possesses God wants for nothing, if he himself is not found wanting before God.

2831 But the presence of those who hunger because they lack bread opens up another profound meaning of this petition. the drama of hunger in the world calls Christians who pray sincerely to exercise responsibility toward their brethren, both in their personal behavior and in their solidarity with the human family. This petition of the Lord's Prayer cannot be isolated from the parables of the poor man Lazarus and of the Last Judgment.

2832 As leaven in the dough, the newness of the kingdom should make the earth "rise" by the Spirit of Christ. This must be shown by the establishment of justice in personal and social, economic and international relations, without ever forgetting that there are no just structures without people who want to be just.

catechismonline.com - 3 The Seven Petitions

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are other hungers- for love, for immortality for life, for affection, for being cared, for forgiveness, for mercy. This hunger can be satiated only by the bread that comes from above. Jesus himself is the living bread that gives life to the world (cf. Jn 6:51). His body offered for our sake on the cross, his blood shed for the pardon of the sins of humanity is made available to us in the bread and wine to the Eucharist transformed in the consecration.

But the Eucharist does not end with the partaking of the bread and blood of the Lord. It leads us to solidarity with others. The communion with the Lord is necessarily a communion with our fellow brothers and sisters. And therefore the one who is fed and nourished by the very body and blood of Christ cannot remain unaffected when he sees his brothers suffering want and hunger. (Homily for the Feast of Corpus Christi, 5-30-13)

Therefore the Eucharistic Celebration is much more than simple banquet: it is exactly the memorial of Jesus’ Paschal Sacrifice, the mystery at the centre of salvation. “Memorial” does not simply mean a remembrance, a mere memory; it means that every time we celebrate this Sacrament we participate in the mystery of the passion, death and resurrection of Christ. The Eucharist is the summit of God’s saving action: the Lord Jesus, by becoming bread broken for us, pours upon us all of his mercy and his love, so as to renew our hearts, our lives and our way of relating with him and with the brethren. . . . the bread that is the Body of Jesus Christ who saves us, forgives us, unites us to the Father. (General Audience, 2-5-14)

Jesus underlines that he has not come into this world to give something, but to give himself, his life, as nourishment for those who have faith in Him. . . . Every time that we participate in Holy Mass and we are nourished by the Body of Christ, the presence of Jesus and of the Holy Spirit acts in us, shaping our hearts, communicating an interior disposition to us that translates into conduct according to the Gospel. (Angelus for the Feast of Corpus Christi, 6-22-14)

In the Eucharist Jesus does not give just any bread, but the bread of eternal life, he gives Himself, offering Himself to the Father out of love for us. (Angelus, 8-13-14)

The Eucharist is Jesus who gives himself entirely to us. To nourish ourselves with him and abide in him through Holy Communion, if we do it with faith, transforms our life into a gift to God and to our brothers… eating him, we become like him. . . . [the Eucharist] is not a private prayer or a beautiful spiritual experience . . . it is a memorial, namely, a gesture that actualizes and makes present the event of the death and resurrection of Jesus: the bread is truly his Body given, the wine is truly is Blood poured out. (Angelus, 8-16-15; Catholic News Agency)

It’s not just a memory, no, it’s more: It’s making present what happened twenty centuries ago. . . . This is Mass: entering in this Passion, Death, Resurrection, and Ascension of Jesus, and when we go to Mass, it is as if we go to Calvary. Now imagine if we went to Calvary—using our imagination—in that moment, knowing that that man there is Jesus. Would we dare to chit-chat, take pictures, make a little scene? No! Because it’s Jesus! We would surely be in silence, in tears, and in the joy of being saved… Mass is experiencing Calvary, it’s not a show. (General Audience, Crux, 11-22-17)

It continues to be a breathtaking phenomenon, how the dumbfounded, relentless enemies of this pope can’t undertake the slightest labor to simply check and see what the pope believes about a given topic, by doing a search. Is this impossible for them? Have they not heard of the Holy See website and its searching capabilities? Are they unaware of Google? It’s astonishing.

So why does Pope Francis often seem to equate “bread” (after consecration) with Jesus’ Body? He doesn’t say the more precise and literal “what was once bread” or “what has the appearance of bread” or “what continues to have the accidents of bread and wine”. I contend that he’s simply using phenomenological language. We do so all the time by saying, “the sun goes down” or “the sun rises.”

It’s everyday language that refers to appearance rather than essence. We know that He believes in transubstantiation because he refers to partaking of the Body and Blood in several of his homilies and other talks. He combines this orthodox belief with the language of appearance. And so he says, “the bread is truly his Body given, the wine is truly is Blood poured out” (8-16-15).

Is it impermissible (or heretical) to speak in that way? I should think not, seeing that our Lord Jesus and the Gospel writers and St. Paul did so. Jesus still referred to the consecrated and transformed former bread as “bread”:

John 6:50-51, 58 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that a man may eat of it and not die. [51] I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.” . . . [58] This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever.”

No, Pope Francis Did Not Deny Transubstantiation

Reactions: Mink57

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do YOU have a copy of it? I'm guessing no.

I don't need a copy. I'm confident in the accuracy of the many citations that exist.

Since you aren't, you need a copy to prove or disprove that it claims of the pope that "thou art another God on earth".

Why is your priest afraid to provide you with a copy?

Could it be because it confirms the aforementioned claim?

Last edited: