The challenge in Christianity is not to love Jesus, it's to love Judas.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There must have been a better way. We wouldn't do this to our own children.
And if Genesis wasn't literal, then what?
So you would allow your child to do wrong, and not impose any discipline? What would the world be without Justice?
I thought death came through Adam. We are paying for his crime. (and our own)

/
We are in adam, and death came through him/ But once we commit our first sin, we have earned our own death.

Jesus did nto die for adams sin alone. He died for the sin of the world.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it justice to assign an eternal punishment for a finite crime?
The penalty of sin is death

You will remains dead unless that penalty is redeemed. What had to be done to redeem that penalty?
Even sinful humans have laws about cruel and unusual punishment.
Not sure how you see it. God died for those people. Why do you blame God?
Also, we tend to forget that mercy granted is always an option for justice.
Justice does not have to be served as punishment. Reconciliation is a better option.

/
Justice demands a payment, Love provided a way.

But God will not force his salvation on anyone.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But God will not force his salvation on anyone.
--- PARODY ---

Person #1: Receive the free gift of eternal life.
Person #2: No thanks.
Person #1: I said it was free.
Person #2: There must be some strings attached.
Person #1: Well, of course.
Person #2: It's not a free gift then, right?
Person #1: You had better take it... or else!
Person #2: Say what?
Person #1: Otherwise you will be incinerated!
Person #2: What sort of free gift is that?

Indeed.

/

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
--- PARODY ---

Indeed.

/
Again, your looking at it wrong

A person is drowning

Jesus comes and says I was sent to save you, But you must stop trying to save yourself or admit you need saved.. I will not save you against your will

the person has three choices.

1. its ok, I can save myself
2. I do not need saved, I am not in danger
3. yes lord. Save me..

God will not force you to take his gift..

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's an interesting view, thanks.
A biblical search for the term "realm of the dead" in the NIV yields 29 results. Interesting to see them.

/
Thank you. You are a thousand times more reasonable than most Christians I share my views with. I have held these views for a time, through my own experience and studies. I wasn't overly surprised to learn that many Catholics have held views similar to mine for many, many years. (I am not Catholic.)

I think there are a number of reasons Christians hold strongly to views of Hell as a horrible torture-chamber. One, people do not want to compromise what they think the Bible teaches, which they believe describes "Hell" in a particular way. I don't agree with what they claim the Bible teaches, but they may have been taught that way early on, or they may have looked at things too quickly and jumped to conclusions.

Two, Dante created images of "Hell" that have been affixed in the minds of people. People do not always think critically, but are affected by media and strong visual images and emotional appeals.

Three, State Church leaders or the Inquisition have tried to root out heretics by threatening them with a horrible "Hell." These are tactics of manipulation to preserve order in the Church or order in the Christian State.

Four, Fundamentalists and Evangelists, who are overly interested in making converts, use a horrible "Hell" as a motivation for conversion. This is a tool of manipulation to obtain more followers, more prestige, and maybe even more money.

Finally, there are carnal people within the nominal Church who see things largely in physical terms or in black and white, and have an almost sadistic interest in depicting things in gruesome manner, to punish those they dislike. They lack spiritual understanding along with the virtues of Christ's love. They do not have the mind of Christ.

I use "Hell" in quotations because the Bible describes Hell more as a place of the dead and as a place that will cease to exist in eternity. Hades is "burned up" along with all people and things that don't belong in God's eternal Kingdom on earth.

To be "burned up" does not mean to be set on fire literally. To be in an everlasting fire does not mean they will be "on fire" forever. It means that the "fire" that removes them will cause them to be removed forever.

The use of the "fire" is a literal description of how garbage is removed in our world. But in reference to people it refers to the removal of people as contaminants who are not in agreement with God's rule. This is not a torture chamber, but rather, a depiction of the mechanics of removal.

So this "fire" refers to is a trash fire, designed to *remove* people and things from a place that requires disinfection or sterilization. The thought is not to completely destroy, but to remove. It is not to hurt someone physically, but to completely remove their presence from somewhere.

But I am not saying that Catholics, State Church leaders, Fundamentalists, and Evangelists are all evil, money-grubbing manipulators. I'm just saying that in any Christian group there is the danger of attitudes seeping in from the "Dark Side" that are not representative of true Christian sentiment.

As has been suggested, true children of God are consistently loving, just as God is always "love." Whether treating friend or enemy we are consistently projecting God's love. Even in Outer Darkness, God will be "loving" towards those who have rejected His rule. They will be treated in a loving way, despite the fact they will lack much of that love themselves.

I have relatives and friends who I think love some aspects of God, but do not really like to be near God for any length of time. They prefer a world that Man dominates apart from God's controlling will.

They will be separated from God's Kingdom in eternity. But I still care for them and therefore believe God will continue to be "good" to them, giving them an environment, though insulated, as they wish, from His holy presence.

That will cause the place they live in to be "dark," so to speak, and "waterless," or less spiritual. They will be given what they need for fulfillment for all eternity, even if separated from God's Kingdom. Since they do have some "love" in them, and some wish to be "good," since they were created that way, there will remain in them something God can salvage. At least I believe this, based on my own observations and experience.

But it is our duty to warn them about the decisions they are making, about what the consequences will be. Otherwise, they will accuse us of never having warned them.

I read in the Scriptures where Jesus said some will experience light punishment, while others will experience heavier punishment. What this is, and how transient the actual punishment will be I don't claim to know. But in a very real sense the punishment, no matter if it consists of a few blows or not, will be everlasting. And so, all must be warned.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. You are a thousand times more reasonable than most Christians I share my views with.
Could you speak up a bit? Not sure that everyone could hear you.

Thank you. You are a thousand times more reasonable than most Christians I share my views with.
Perfect. I think they heard that now. Thanks.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. You are a thousand times more reasonable than most Christians I share my views with. I have held these views for a time, through my own experience and studies. I wasn't overly surprised to learn that many Catholics have held views similar to mine for many, many years. (I am not Catholic.)

I think there are a number of reasons Christians hold strongly to views of Hell as a horrible torture-chamber. One, people do not want to compromise what they think the Bible teaches, which they believe describes "Hell" in a particular way. I don't agree with what they claim the Bible teaches, but they may have been taught that way early on, or they may have looked at things too quickly and jumped to conclusions.

Two, Dante created images of "Hell" that have been affixed in the minds of people. People do not always think critically, but are affected by media and strong visual images and emotional appeals.

Three, State Church leaders or the Inquisition have tried to root out heretics by threatening them with a horrible "Hell." These are tactics of manipulation to preserve order in the Church or order in the Christian State.

Four, Fundamentalists and Evangelists, who are overly interested in making converts, use a horrible "Hell" as a motivation for conversion. This is a tool of manipulation to obtain more followers, more prestige, and maybe even more money.

Finally, there are carnal people within the nominal Church who see things largely in physical terms or in black and white, and have an almost sadistic interest in depicting things in gruesome manner, to punish those they dislike. They lack spiritual understanding along with the virtues of Christ's love. They do not have the mind of Christ.

I use "Hell" in quotations because the Bible describes Hell more as a place of the dead and as a place that will cease to exist in eternity. Hades is "burned up" along with all people and things that don't belong in God's eternal Kingdom on earth.

To be "burned up" does not mean to be set on fire literally. To be in an everlasting fire does not mean they will be "on fire" forever. It means that the "fire" that removes them will cause them to be removed forever.

The use of the "fire" is a literal description of how garbage is removed in our world. But in reference to people it refers to the removal of people as contaminants who are not in agreement with God's rule. This is not a torture chamber, but rather, a depiction of the mechanics of removal.

So this "fire" refers to is a trash fire, designed to *remove* people and things from a place that requires disinfection or sterilization. The thought is not to completely destroy, but to remove. It is not to hurt someone physically, but to completely remove their presence from somewhere.

But I am not saying that Catholics, State Church leaders, Fundamentalists, and Evangelists are all evil, money-grubbing manipulators. I'm just saying that in any Christian group there is the danger of attitudes seeping in from the "Dark Side" that are not representative of true Christian sentiment.

As has been suggested, true children of God are consistently loving, just as God is always "love." Whether treating friend or enemy we are consistently projecting God's love. Even in Outer Darkness, God will be "loving" towards those who have rejected His rule. They will be treated in a loving way, despite the fact they will lack much of that love themselves.

I have relatives and friends who I think love some aspects of God, but do not really like to be near God for any length of time. They prefer a world that Man dominates apart from God's controlling will.

They will be separated from God's Kingdom in eternity. But I still care for them and therefore believe God will continue to be "good" to them, giving them an environment, though insulated, as they wish, from His holy presence.

That will cause the place they live in to be "dark," so to speak, and "waterless," or less spiritual. They will be given what they need for fulfillment for all eternity, even if separated from God's Kingdom. Since they do have some "love" in them, and some wish to be "good," since they were created that way, there will remain in them something God can salvage. At least I believe this, based on my own observations and experience.

But it is our duty to warn them about the decisions they are making, about what the consequences will be. Otherwise, they will accuse us of never having warned them.

I read in the Scriptures where Jesus said some will experience light punishment, while others will experience heavier punishment. What this is, and how transient the actual punishment will be I don't claim to know. But in a very real sense the punishment, no matter if it consists of a few blows or not, will be everlasting. And so, all must be warned.
Thanks for the additional info on your views.
I would say your views most closely match what I would call Annihilationism.
That the "lost" will cease to exist after being destroyed.

The three main views as I understand them are;
1) Damnationism
2) Annihilationism
3) Universalism (Ultimate Redemption, Universal Reconciliation, Universal Restoration, UR)

All three views are biblical and contradictory.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then in order to receive redemption. you must receive his gift.. correct?
We don't need to receive what we already have.
It's not a choice. And no one can refuse it.

We can't save ourselves. God already did that.
I know that is against everything you have been taught.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bibles that do NOT contain the word "Hell".

Scarlett's N.T. (1798)
The New Testament in Greek and English (Kneeland, 1823)
Young's Literal Translation (1891)
Twentieth Century New Testament (1900)
Rotherham's Emphasized Bible (reprinted, 1902)
Fenton's Holy Bible in Modern English (1903)
Weymouth's New Testament in Modern Speech (1903)
The New Testament, James Moffat, (1917)
Jewish Publication Society Bible Old Testament (1917)
Panin's Numeric English New Testament (1914)
The New Testament, Charles B. Williams, 1937
The People's New Covenant (Overbury, 1925)
Hanson's New Covenant (1884)
Western N.T. (1926)
NT of our Lord and Savior Anointed (Tomanek, 1958)
Concordant Literal NT (1983)
he N.T., A Translation (Clementson, 1938)
Emphatic Diaglott, Greek/English Interlinear (Wilson, 1942)
New American Bible (1970)
Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible (1976)
Tanakh, The Holy Scriptures, Old Testament (1985)
The New Testament, A New Translation (Greber, 1980)
Christian Bible (1991)
The Scriptures (1993)
World English Bible (in progress)
Orthodox Jewish Brit Chadasha [NT Only]
Original Bible Project (Dr. James Tabor, still in translation)
Zondervan Parallel N.T. in Greek and English (1975)**
Int. NASB-NIV Parallel N.T. in Greek and English (1993)**
A Critical Paraphrase of the N.T. by Vincent T. Roth (1960)
New Testament, Recovery Version, Living Stream Ministry, 1991
New American Bible Revised Edition (NABRE)
Roman Catholic Holy Bible In Its Original Order, Fred R. Coulter, 2007
Etymological N.T. (An Ultra Literal Translation, 2011, Michael Wine)
Aramaic Peshitta New Testament, 2006, Janet M. Magiera
MirrorWord N.T. (Francois du Toit) still in translation
Victorious Gospel of Jesus Christ, Electronic Ver. (Tentmaker Ministries)
The Source N.T. (Dr. Ann Nyland), 2004, 2007
Jonathan Mitchell N.T. (Jonathan Mitchell) 2009
The Scriptures, 2016
Tree of Life Version, Baker Bookhouse, 2016******
The New Testament (David Bentley Hart) Yale University Press, 2017

/

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't need to receive what we already have.
But we do not have it, if we did, everyone would be saved, and the church would not have to spread the gospel.
It's not a choice. And no one can refuse it.
You most certainly can. God does not remove free will
We can't save ourselves. God already did that.
No. God paid the price for salvation, but we can refuse it.
I know that is against everything you have been taught.

/
Its against the word

he who believes is not condemned, he who does not believe is condemned already.

Thats the truth, I did not know you were a universalist. This does take me by surprise.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you are offering is not a gift.
If it was a gift, a person would not be incinerated for not receiving it.

/
You have a weird way of looking at things

If you were on death row. And I offered to die in your place. That offer would be a gift.

if You say no thank you I will not die, I will save myself.. then you have rejected his gift. And you will suffer your fate..

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a weird way of looking at things

If you were on death row. And I offered to die in your place. That offer would be a gift.

if You say no thank you I will not die, I will save myself.. then you have rejected his gift. And you will suffer your fate..
Seems suspicious since the person offering the "gift" put me on death row in the first place.

/

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
--- PARODY ---

Indeed.

/
Reminds me of the Inuit and the Priest joke.

Priest: Accept Jesus and be washed clean of your sins and avoid Hell.

Inuit: What if I never heard of your Jesus? Would I go to Hell?

Priest: Of course not.Becayse you didn't know about sin and Salvation.

Inuit: Then,why did you tell me?

• Haha
Reactions: St. SteVen