The Doctrine of Purgatory in Catholic Biblical Perspective

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You have no clue what Immaculate Conception means nor does one thing you posted prove your version of it. You are indoctrinated and contradict the scriptures.
But you don't give your interpretation of any of the scriptures I used. Just denials with no substance. Post 477 presents a strong argument based on your very own premise that you cannot refute, so you throw in empty accusations, and claim you are victorious over Catholics. You are better than that.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sooooooo, unless you deny that Jesus is God

Sooooooooo, (lol), Has someone DENIED, Jesus is God? If not....that is an IRRELEVANT comment!

you cannot deny that Mary is the MOTHER of God.

Cannot deny? (Lol) Hogwash. No one is Subject to your stipulations. Anyone can DENY whatever "THEY" choose to "DENY", with "THEIR WORDS", (not yours).

Mary = Mother of Jesus

According to Jesus Himself ....

Matt. 12:
[50] For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is .... my brother, and sister, and mother.

Jesus = God

According to God...He is He.
According to Jesus...He is He.

This isn’t rocket science – it’s quite simple, really . . .

If it were so SIMPLE, a mans MIND could grasp Spiritual Understanding "without" the POWER OF GOD. But that is NOT the case.

You teach Mary is "EXCLUSIVELY" the Mother of Jesus, IN CONTRAST to Jesus' own teaching.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Doctrine of Purgatory has been well defended on this thread; so anti-Catholics resort to the usual derailment tactics because they blindly refuse all reasonable explanations: derailers like repetitious prayer, Mary, Deuterocanonicals, Mary, Docetic arguments against the Real Presence, Mary, indulgences, demonic insults against Jesus' mother, Intercession of the Saints, Mary, and so on. It's too bad there is no one on one debate in this forum. This thread is peppered with derailers.

Funny.
You should review some of your Catholic Friends bringing up "OTHER" topics, that YOU give "exclusive" credit to Non-Catholics.
And....even YOU have participated in "such" conversations....does that "make" YOU anti-Catholic? Lol

Glory to God,
Taken

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The faith was (past tense) delivered in the first century. So, any johnnie come lately doctrines and dogmas are entirely man made and when compared with scripture, pitched into the trash bin of deceit.

I agree the the faith was delivered in the first century. But that still doesn't say that everything was written down in in the Bible.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I disagree.

Whether the WORD of God be ORAL for ears to hear, or WRITTEN for eyes to read...

It is accounted as RIGHTEOUS for a man to "stick to" what the WORD of God SAYS, be it Oral, Written in Scripture, or Written in a mans Heart.

What are you disagreeing about?
I said "Sorry but nowhere does God or anyone say just stick to what the bible actually says."

Your comments don't seem to relate to that.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, your ccc 1475 says you expiate your sins in purgatory. What does it mean to expiate sins? And where do we find this term in the bible? And to whom is this term applied to?

Do you seriously want to discuss this are are you just trolling again?

Nondenom40

May 21, 2019
Illinois
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you seriously want to discuss this are are you just trolling again?
You're the one crying about what the thread is about. So? Funny a non Catholic had to be the one to get back on topic and you're response is telling.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're the one crying about what the thread is about. So? Funny a non Catholic had to be the one to get back on topic and you're response is telling.

There. I have my answer.
You are just trolling.

Moreover we have been all this at the beginning of this thread. Go back and read the explanations.

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where on this thread has a non-Catholic gotten back on topic? The topic of purgatory has been exhausted, with arguments based on scripture and reason twisted or ignored. If you want to discuss purgatory further, fine. If all people want to talk about is Mary, I'm ok with that too.

What makes reasonable discussion impossible is the deceitful changing the meaning of words, like merit, expiation, and so on. Then there are the dictionary wars because anti-Catholics have a whole different meaning of terms, they speak a different language. Until definitions are agreed upon, discussions like these are a waste of time. Here is a partial list of terms that anti-Catholics change the meaning of:
infallibility
tradition
justice
"this is My Body"
kecharitomene
authority
development
profitable
the list goes on. This is one reason why discussion is not discussion at all.

Nondenom40

May 21, 2019
Illinois
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There. I have my answer.
You are just trolling.

Moreover we have been all this at the beginning of this thread. Go back and read the explanations.
Answer my questions. The only one trolling is you.

Nondenom40

May 21, 2019
Illinois
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where on this thread has a non-Catholic gotten back on topic? The topic of purgatory has been exhausted, with arguments based on scripture and reason twisted or ignored. If you want to discuss purgatory further, fine. If all people want to talk about is Mary, I'm ok with that too.

What makes reasonable discussion impossible is the deceitful changing the meaning of words, like merit, expiation, and so on. Then there are the dictionary wars because anti-Catholics have a whole different meaning of terms, they speak a different language. Until definitions are agreed upon, discussions like these are a waste of time. Here is a partial list of terms that anti-Catholics change the meaning of:
infallibility
tradition
justice
"this is My Body"
kecharitomene
authority
development
profitable
the list goes on. This is one reason why discussion is not discussion at all.
Another Catholic troll. You pretend to want to discuss things then back down when asked for specifics.

Reactions: Taken

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I simply observed "importance" being compared.

Jesus also did a comparison;

Mark 3
[33] And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren?
[34] And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
[35] For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

Glory to God,
Taken

A great encouragement to us, that if we do the Father's will, we will be Jesus' family.

Does this somehow negate Mary as His mother?

Not at all.

This does not lower Mary's position as His mother but rather exalts those who also do God's will to a familial relationship with Jesus!

Peace be with you!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
BTW, I thought this thread was about Purgatory.

Yes. Sorry if i contributed to the derailment.
It's unfortunate that some feel attacking Mary is a way to somehow salvage an argument that theyre losing with Catholics, iv'e always been puzzled how they think that helps their argument...

Peace be with you!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His mother said to the servers, "Do whatever he tells you."

John 2:5
What is the expiry date of this verse?

The anti-Mary animus in certain Protestant circles is unbiblical.

Mary: The Blessed Virgin (Index Page)
not sure who your trying to convince me or yourself.. for me i need scriptural proof. who is on the right hand of the heavenly father? mary or jesus? answer jesus who is the way truth and life ? Jesus .. who has power to forgive sins? jesus who died and arose from the dead on the third day?

jesus ..
John 19
25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
did he say mother you will have a throne with me in heaven as queen? NO that it is pure made up carnal teaching from a carnal mind
who intercedes for us in prayer ? the Holy Spirit
Romans 8:26 King James Version (KJV)
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

straight up Mary has nothing to do with our salvation our prayer life . The model prayer aka the Lord prayer Our father who art in heaven... not our mother not our queen.. there is no queen by title in heaven. in fact after the resurrection mary is no longer mentioned through out the Bible your boat of mythology is sinking

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to discuss purgatory further, fine. If all people want to talk about is Mary, I'm ok with that too.
i am sure you do as it has no merit nor can be backed by scripture

CovenantPromise

Sep 14, 2019
Northeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you don't give your interpretation of any of the scriptures I used. Just denials with no substance. Post 477 presents a strong argument based on your very own premise that you cannot refute, so you throw in empty accusations, and claim you are victorious over Catholics. You are better than that.
First of all as you stated this is a thread on Purgatory. If I reply AGAIN with something that people do not understand or rather do not like , what would be the point?It will be removed AGAIN! And it was done as a slight from a harlot, not because it was not truth or could be disputed , it simply does not fit into the harlot's narrative. If it was because ,simply, certain of ,did not understand it,it could have been moved to PROPHECY perhaps . And wouldn't you love if I leave this at just denials. I am simply not going to cast pearls before swine. It will only be trampled down, stolen and altered or put in the "UNORTHODOX" forum with the "Queen" of heaven and STUFF, WITHOUT any refute or proof against because of the classy people in here. And this is a Catholic run forum because that is the only doctrine in here that my post challenged . Catholics are hip to many things perhaps even more so than a certain other group, but not me. I am a threat, because you do not dis what YOU CAN disprove but rather what you can not handle. And there really is no freedom of opinion in here when it is TRUTH undiluted and goes against false indoctrination in teaching. Catholics for the most part think they know everything, they do know a lot but they are wrong to think they need no correction and no more knowledge of the eternal gospel . Stagnate and married to some non truths is not the way of the Virgin Bride. It is clear what it means to be approved.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok buddy you want a slam fest of insults your going to get them. you have a form of Godliness but deny the power there of . i really have doubts you being capable of having a adult like conversation . you probably flunked sand box.. tell you what you go pray to mary so you can talk to jesus . your theology you hold to. has a great chance of getting you a one way ticket to the white throne judgment . that is mius from judging you.. Mary can no more get you into heaven than Rahab the harlot . which might i add had she not been in the plan there would be no mary . you are such a bamboozling fool your pathetic .. I AM THROUGH WITH YOUR MYTHOLOGY . you and mary have a happy life :eek:. you get a brain look me up DUMBO
Just another angry, ignorant anti-Catholic.
Grow up . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So your point is? An angel came unto MARY, while "MARY" was IN HER MOTHER'S WOMB, and Talked to MARY?

– you will understand Luke 1:28 in the context in which it was written.

Luke 1:28
[28] And the angel came in unto her, and said...

Glory to God,
Taken[/QUOTE]
Apparently, you're not equipped to discuss Mary's title of "Kecharitomene".

Kecharitomene indicates a completed action – with a permanent result. It translates as completely, perfectly, enduringly endowed with grace.”

YOUR
turn . . .

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
mary.jpg