The Gospel of John Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perhaps you should re-read what you wrote that prompted what I said in the first place. It was a rebuke for self-righteous statements of holier than thou. I do not apologize for that.
I listened to your first diatribe on John, and it was predictably shallow! The only thing I learned, was how wrong pulpiteers can be!

You declare that John chose his wording to be understood by the Greeks, which is total nonsense. He was writing it for his own people, the Jews!

In the Torah, written by Moses, we see the heart and mind of God.

When John penned his Gospel, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.

As a Jew, he would understand it this way: "In the beginning was the Torah, and the Torah was with God, and the Torah was God. Torah was in the beginning with God."

i.e. Torah was contained within God, was the essence of God from the very beginning, even before the world was created.

As for you nonsense about the trinity, nowhere in Scripture is God limited to a trinity.

From the very Beginning the literal translation of Genesis "In the beginning the Gods [Elohim] created the heavens and the earth. And then the Gods got together, and said "let us make man in our image".

To limit the infinite God to a mere trinity is not only unsupportable by Scripture, but a daft presumption!

Do you really wonder why I don't waste time attending the church of today??

Last edited:

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I listened to your first diatribe on John, and it was predictably shallow! The only thing I learned, was how wrong pulpiteers can be!

You declare that John chose his wording to be understood by the Greeks, which is total nonsense. He was writing it for his own people, the Jews!

In the Torah, written by Moses, we see the heart and mind of God.

When John penned his Gospel, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.

As a Jew, he would understand it this way: "In the beginning was the Torah, and the Torah was with God, and the Torah was God. Torah was in the beginning with God."

i.e. Torah was contained within God within God, was the essence of God from the very beginning, even before the world was created.

As for you nonsense about the trinity, nowhere in Scripture is God limited to a trinity.

From the very Beginning the literal translation of Genesis "In the beginning the Gods [Elohim] created the heavens and the earth. And then the Gods got together, and said "let us make man in our image".

To limit the infinite God to a mere trinity is not only unsupportable by Scripture, but a daft presumption!

Do you really wonder why I don't waste time attending the church of today??
Actually it looks like you need to be in church since you are a liberal heretic.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For me, attending church is like going back to kindergarten every week. The quality of the stuff being delivered from the pulpit in my area has declined at a rapid rate. With nothing useful to say, they merely fill their time boring us with a lot of meaningless words. Music in the church has also totally disappeared. No hymns, just 7-11 stuff [7 words repeated 11 times] to the din of guitars and drums. Organs have all been tossed in the garbage, because no one knows how to play them.

I used to have a vast library of theological works, but have now tossed well over a thousand of those books in the garbage, after giving a minister friend first pick. He filled his car with hundreds of books. I no longer read religious books, even those from the most prominent of teachers. I am quite satisfied with just studying Scripture without external interference. Why do I need the help of someone else when "when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come." John 16:13

I have given up on church. I haven't attended church in over two years but do enjoy studying the Bible on a daily basis. Notwithstanding, at age 77 with compromised mobility, it is not a really great option.
Gave up on mens church over ten years ago, there is no life in church only in Christ.

God bless

Reactions: Stan B

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do not forsake assembly of yourselves together. It is Christ's church. But apparently you don't listen to Christ, just your fantasized version of him.
No, what is the name of your church?????

Act 7:46 Who found favour before God, and desired to find a tabernacle for the God of Jacob.
Act 7:47 But Solomon built him an house.
Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
Act 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
Act 7:50 Hath not my hand made all these things?
Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

We the people are His church when we are in Christ, how can one attend something that one is.

Reactions: Pisteuo and Stan B

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, what is the name of your church?????

Act 7:46 Who found favour before God, and desired to find a tabernacle for the God of Jacob.
Act 7:47 But Solomon built him an house.
Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
Act 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
Act 7:50 Hath not my hand made all these things?
Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

We the people are His church when we are in Christ, how can one attend something that one is.
You realize I was quoting Scripture right?

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd disagree on that. I think it IS the issue.

I think that God created desiring a certain thing. That thing included man having a choice, and man choose to separate from God. Nonetheless, God still wanted what it was He created for in the first place, and, of course, this not being a surprise, He already knew that He would send is Own Right Arm to give us an opportunity to receive His gift, even though we've separated.

I believe the best representation of God from the Bible is that He wanted to give Himself in love, and created us for that purpose, to be recipients of His goodness and love, and that we would reflect His goodness and love to others.

Sin wrecked this creation, and so God is resurrecting those who will agree to His life spiritually in this world, and physically in the age to come.

And so God will have His family in righteousness and holiness, and in love that we freely want to give to Him.

And I believe that is the only way He could obtain that in righteousness. Righteousness and Love, love freely given.

Much love!
This is a total perversion of the gospel message. Every reason given is false

Last edited:

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd disagree on that. I think it IS the issue.

I think that God created desiring a certain thing. That thing included man having a choice, and man choose to separate from God. Nonetheless, God still wanted what it was He created for in the first place, and, of course, this not being a surprise, He already knew that He would send is Own Right Arm to give us an opportunity to receive His gift, even though we've separated.

I believe the best representation of God from the Bible is that He wanted to give Himself in love, and created us for that purpose, to be recipients of His goodness and love, and that we would reflect His goodness and love to others.

Sin wrecked this creation, and so God is resurrecting those who will agree to His life spiritually in this world, and physically in the age to come.

And so God will have His family in righteousness and holiness, and in love that we freely want to give to Him.

And I believe that is the only way He could obtain that in righteousness. Righteousness and Love, love freely given.

Much love!
What a wonderful and beautiful person you are! Out of your genuine true love for God, while lost and dead in sin, and hostile toward God, you exercised the genuine love in your good heart to choose yourself into heaven via your ability!!! Congrats you did it!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You realize I was quoting Scripture right?

Mat 4:6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

[removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 4:6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

So does the devil Right???
So you think it is ok to forsake the assembling together with other believers? Cut the ad hominem and deal with the argument.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So you think it is ok to forsake the assembling together with other believers? Cut the ad hominem and deal with the argument.
One does not need mens "religions " to fellowship, one can do it in teh pub, at school, in your home, on the train, on skype, on these forums, Jesus preached from the hill tops to the lost. As for God He is always listening as is Christ dont need church for that either.

Reactions: Stan B and amadeus

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One does not need mens "religions " to fellowship, one can do it in teh pub, at school, in your home, on the train, on skype, on these forums, Jesus preached from the hill tops to the lost. As for God He is always listening as is Christ dont need church for that either.
You do realize the quote "do not forsake the assembly of yourselves together" is from the Word of God right? And no, you cannot assemble together by yourself.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You do realize the quote "do not forsake the assembly of yourselves together" is from the Word of God right? And no, you cannot assemble together by yourself.

Okay, I did a word search of a number of the preferred texts, i.e. KJV, and could not find your quote of "do not forsake the assembly of yourselves together." Perhaps, it would be good for you to provide the reference from the "bible" of this quote to confirm that it is found in the scriptures, otherwise you are blowing a lot of hot air up, you know where.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I did a word search of a number of the preferred texts, i.e. KJV, and could not find your quote of "do not forsake the assembly of yourselves together." Perhaps, it would be good for you to provide the reference from the "bible" of this quote to confirm that it is found in the scriptures, otherwise you are blowing a lot of hot air up, you know where.
You must not have searched too hard, Hebrews 10:25

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You must not have searched too hard, Hebrews 10:25

But what you stated as being in the scriptures was your own paraphrase of the verse you have referenced.

Hebrews 10:19-25: - Hold Fast Your Confession
19 Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and having a High Priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
NKJV

Hebrews 10:19-25

19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
KJV

Hebrews 10:19-25: - Drawing Near to God in Enduring Faith
19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the fresh and living way that he inaugurated for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a sincere heart in the assurance that faith brings, because we have had our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed in pure water. 23 And let us hold unwaveringly to the hope that we confess, for the one who made the promise is trustworthy. 24 And let us take thought of how to spur one another on to love and good works, 25 not abandoning our own meetings, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging each other, and even more so because you see the day drawing near.
(from The NET Bible®, )

David you stated the verse this way: -
You do realize the quote "do not forsake the assembly of yourselves together" is from the Word of God right?
is your own paraphrase and expecting your paraphrase to be easily found in the various translations of the scriptures, is not possible.

Asking for confirmation of a paraphrase is something I have noticed you doing.

Seems like you have your own special translation to quote from.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
is your own paraphrase and expecting your paraphrase to be easily found in the various translations of the scriptures, is not possible.

Asking for confirmation of a paraphrase is something I have noticed you doing.

Seems like you have your own special translation to quote from.
If you put my paraphrase in Google, the KJV verse is the very first hit. Not that hard to find.