The law of Moses vs the law of Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm." (1 Tim 1)

Some of the most destructive teaching in the body of Christ is opinions, desires, cherished traditions, and firm convictions of individual believers that proceed to teach them to others as law and commandment, when there is no such written in Scripture.

They are sincere and sincerely wrong false teachers of law of Christ, every bit as much as them Peter warned us of (2 Peter 2:1), and Paul condemned as false apostles. (2 Cor 11:13)

Interpretations of Scripture can abound, and there is plenty of room for individual belief about prophecy, etc...and 'agreeing to disagree' is fine.

However, in teaching law and commandment of God, there is no such thing as 'agreeing to disagree', because the teacher of the law must then judge them that reject it as transgressors in the body of Christ. And Scripture tells us to shun, ostracize, and not keep company with such that are openly transgressing the law, such as fornicators, covetous, thieves, etc...

Therefore, teaching the law of Christ is actually quite easy, because the law of Christ is always written very plainly. And so, if it isn't plainly written as such, then any such teaching of law is false, and necessary accusative against any that do not 'agree'.

Here is an easy example of teaching the law of Christ accurately:

It is a sin to get drunk and be drunk, and no drunkard is going to heaven, and no faithful believer ought be fellowshipping with them.

How do we know that? It is written:
1."be not drunk with wine" (Eph 5) There is no context nor full Scripture needed. It is written, it is plain, it is easy to read, and it is law of Christ.

2. "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat." (1 Cor 5) Once again, self explanatory. Either obey or not and be judged by Christ accordingly. Why? Because it is His law, not mine, nor any others'.

3. "Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (1 Cor 6) Drunkards are not going to heaven, no matter how loudly they proclaim their faith in Jesus.

So, can anyone show me the verse of Scripture that commands me as a Christian to keep Sabbath every 7th day of the week according to the law commanded by Moses from the mount?

And I'll show you a good teaching about false teachers of the law, if they offer anything other than a plainly written Scripture that easily is read by a child to do.

Reactions: Curtis

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first rule of ministry is 2 Peter 1:20:

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

Scripture does not say there are no private interpretations of Scripture, but rather it is saying that we ought not then go preaching and teaching our private interpretations as Scripture. I.e. Don't preach Scripture according to your own personal beliefs. or don't be making up Scripture out of your own mind:

"And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the LORD hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind." (Numbers 16:28)

Such false teaching is such a seductive and slippery slope, especially when dealing with personal rules of faith in daily living for Christ, because most who do so are very sincere and non-hypocritical about doing it themselves. And yet they have made themselves lawgivers and judges of other believers' conscience:

"There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?" (James 4:12)

"For why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?" (1 Cor 10:29)

By teaching as law one's own conscience of faith, without clearly written Scripture to simply prove it, then we make ourselves dominators over the faith of others, while posing as helpers of their joy and liberty from sin:

"Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand." (2 Cor 1)

Remember, the first transgression of man was preceded by the first error of ministry, which was to add a personal rule of faith to the commandment of God, and declare it as law:

"Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" "Of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die."

The question was a simple one: What exactly did God say? The answer was a corrupted one, adding man's rule to God's law and preaching it as such.

So long as we stick with exactly what Scripture says, speaking plainly the verse without shadows nor hints of personal intrusion, then we will not be found false teachers of the law, but will be simple quoters of Scripture that is obviously law for all.

"Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech." (2 Cor 3:12)

So, you want to preach commandment and law to me? Just quote the Scripture that plainly makes it law for all. Otherwise, do your own law all you want, and I will do the law of Christ only, and we can live and let live without lawgiving, judging, and condemning one another in the faith.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know of anyone who obeys Moses.
The Jews do, don't they? They still preach Moses of old in their synagogues every Sabbath, don't they?

The difference I intend to make is not between obeying Moses and obeying Christ, but keeping the law of Moses vs keeping the law of Christ.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first rule of ministry is 2 Peter 1:20:

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

Scripture does not say there are no private interpretations of Scripture, but rather it is saying that we ought not then go preaching and teaching our private interpretations as Scripture. I.e. Don't preach Scripture according to your own personal beliefs. or don't be making up Scripture out of your own mind:
Do you know . . . that's not actually what this passage is talking about?

Peter is talking not about how the hearer of a prophecy is not to just have their own ideas about it. What he's saying is that prophecy didn't come from the prophet's own ideas.

That is a very different thing.

2 Peter 1:19-21 EMTV

19) And we have the prophetic word made more sure, which you do well to heed, as a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts;
20) knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture comes about from one's own interpretation,
21) for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke, being brought along by the Holy Spirit.

Much love!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jews do, don't they? They still preach Moses of old in their synagogues every Sabbath, don't they?

The difference I intend to make is not between obeying Moses and obeying Christ, but keeping the law of Moses vs keeping the law of Christ.

what's the law of Christ?

seeing that the Word of God (who Jesus is) gave the law to Moses. you forget it was Jesus that was on mount Sinai with Moses. that talked to Moses in the tabernacle. the Word of God is the Word of God.

so tell us, how is there a difference pray tell?

Reactions: kcnalp

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter disagrees with the premise that the Bible allows room for different interpretations on prophecy in 2 Pet. 1:20 where he says "knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation". The prophets and apostles all agree on prophecy just like they agree on biblical law because they were led by the same God. Failure to align one's self with the proper understanding of prophecy means beings unaligned with God.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I haven't heard of Jews executing gays or those who work on weekends or adulterers.

Last edited:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do we know that? It is written:
1."be not drunk with wine" (Eph 5) There is no context nor full Scripture needed. It is written, it is plain, it is easy to read, and it is law of Christ.
Its really hard to take you seriously when you say, "there is no context nor full scripture needed" right after you partially quoted a scripture AND missed the true meaning of the passage.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There’s no such thing as a Jew.
Galatians 3:28 KJV
[28] There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Reactions: Wrangler

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 1:16 (NKJV)
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

Hmm

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What's the difference between Jew and Hebrew?
Hebrews were all the descendants of Eber, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. But after the Assyrian and Babylonian captivities, those who returned to Palestine (primarily Judah) were mostly from the tribes of Judah and Benjamin. "Jew" is from the Hebrew "Yehudi" (Judahite). Later, all of Israel's people were called Jews.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There’s no such thing as a Jew.
That is a good way to take things out of context. While no distinctions apply within the Church regarding Jews and Gentiles, there is very definitely a group of people known as "Jews" (since 70 AD). They were dispersed from Israel and went to Europe, and after 1948, there was a huge number of Jews who went to Israel. There were also a few Jews which remained in Palestine (and other Middle Eastern countries). But there were also many Jews throughout the Roman empire.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a good way to take things out of context. While no distinctions apply within the Church regarding Jews and Gentiles, there is very definitely a group of people known as "Jews" (since 70 AD). They were dispersed from Israel and went to Europe, and after 1948, there was a huge number of Jews who went to Israel. There were also a few Jews which remained in Palestine (and other Middle Eastern countries). But there were also many Jews throughout the Roman empire.
So context is decided based on your perspective?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So context is decided based on your perspective?
Context is based upon facts, not fantasy. It is false and misleading to try and apply what is applicable to the Body of Christ to what God has planned for Jews as descended from the twelve tribes of Israel.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Context is based upon facts, not fantasy. It is false and misleading to try and apply what is applicable to the Body of Christ to what God has planned for Jews as descended from the twelve tribes of Israel.
Precisely, Paul an Apostle of Christ sees himself as a part of the body, not dividing the body by gender race or social status. Your statements imply all of the above.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These Jews that you guys allegedly proclaim sacrificed animals at a dispensation in history, so I ask how do your Jews atone for their sins?

And where are the Levites they pay their tithes to?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to fantasy island. Where context is based on the bosses perspective, because he has all the facts.