The Lottery

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moral dilemma come along all the time.

And I heard of a new one but in reality it's an old one. Very very old.

You are walking along one day and come across a set of railroad tracks and a switch. You see a train coming down the tracks. On one set there are 5-20 people tied to the tracks and on the other just a single person tied to the track.

There's no time to cut anyone free from the tracks you only have time to pull the switch or not.

If you pull the switch you are going to kill one person but save the others. You will be guilty of killing one person. If you do nothing the group of others are going to die but you won't have any culpability in their death.

So...this is where the lottery comes in.

There are lots of people who need organ transplants. Hearts, lungs, liver, kidneys, and etc so they can live. If we were to have a mandatory lottery of healthy people that we kill and harvest their organs many people will live for 20+ years or more. Sure that one healthy person will die but the other people will live...they will die without the organs.

By either voting for or against the lottery...or even doing nothing you are making a definitive choice in this dilemma.

Which one do you choose. Do you pull the switch and kill someone? Do you do nothing and kill the others?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I choose to trust in GOD . HE will give me the wisdom of what to do if ever i find myself in that situation .
TILL then i have and i will give NO ANSWER . Nor entertain such thoughts either .
Now , let all praise the glorious LORD .

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I choose to trust in GOD . HE will give me the wisdom of what to do if ever i find myself in that situation .
TILL then i have and i will give NO ANSWER . Nor entertain such thoughts either .
Now , let all praise the glorious LORD .

Now where you might not want to consider this... you already have probably made this choice in multiple ways... multiple times.

Organ donor? Ever been one?

Butterfly effects are very real too.

So... what choices have you made?

Did you choose the same as Judas or the High Priest did?
Or did you choose the same as John and just watch at a distance.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016

You are walking along one day and come across a set of railroad tracks and a switch. You see a train coming down the tracks. On one set there are 5-20 people tied to the tracks and on the other just a single person tied to the track.

There's no time to cut anyone free from the tracks you only have time to pull the switch or not.

If you pull the switch you are going to kill one person but save the others. You will be guilty of killing one person. If you do nothing the group of others are going to die but you won't have any culpability in their death.

There are lots of people who need organ transplants. Hearts, lungs, liver, kidneys, and etc so they can live. If we were to have a mandatory lottery of healthy people that we kill and harvest their organs many people will live for 20+ years or more. Sure that one healthy person will die but the other people will live...they will die without the organs.

By either voting for or against the lottery...or even doing nothing you are making a definitive choice in this dilemma.

Which one do you choose. Do you pull the switch and kill someone? Do you do nothing and kill the others?

what in the world is the organ lottery? have a been asleep for 5 years? is this a real thing thats done or you thinking out loud?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Let's start the harvest with your organs, count backwards from 10 Mr.JohnDB.

As for the train I would derail it by jamming the switch halfway, and save everyone.

Reactions: JohnDB

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia

Save both, because the train will either slip tracks and destroy the population nearby and true religion itself, if we let loose the train the next generation will forget the true God and worshiping the false church based on technology and false God, because the whispering voice would be from technology and the elite.
The modern techy church would rewrite the bible and it could erase the truth words about the Evil One of Gaia religion in Jeremiah as a Queen of heaven.
See how they've built their own bible based on Gaia gods & goddess.
330px-Square_compasses.svg.png

They said G stands for Geometry, but all science were came from Gaia as Giants of fallen angels who taught mankind in the past.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Hollar "train" because taking action with the track switch could counteract measures people are taking to save themselves if they flee the train's path.

Reactions: April_Rose

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's start the harvest with your organs, count backwards from 10 Mr.JohnDB.

As for the train I would derail it by jamming the switch halfway, and save everyone.

electric/hydraulic switches these days...the switch is for show.

So...if you touch the switch you get to be responsible for either one or many people dying.

and the other scenario with the organ transplant is the same question phrased in a different manner.

Do you think that there is a correct answer?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Save both, because the train will either slip tracks and destroy the population nearby and true religion itself, if we let loose the train the next generation will forget the true God and worshiping the false church based on technology and false God, because the whispering voice would be from technology and the elite.

So...do you think that there is a correct answer?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hollar "train" because taking action with the track switch could counteract measures people are taking to save themselves if they flee the train's path.
What about organ donors?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
What about organ donors?
A PR campaign asking for organ donors on their licenses is acceptable. Forcing it wouldn't be, like flipping the switch.

It is a nice twist on the old morality question. Somehow the pre-meditation of harvesting people's organs makes it seem worse than a snap decision to divert a train. But does pre-meditation actually make it worse? I don't think so, both diverting the train and pre-meditated murder would be equally immoral.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
What about organ donors?
Well if you're treating it as an economic enterprise based on supply and demand why not whip the desired organs out of inmates doing time for heinous crimes and transplant them in wealthy clients and charitable cases for megabucks. Make it legal and safe so to effectively bypass the black market that encourages dodgy backstreet practitioners and ruthless biohackers.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if you're treating it as an economic enterprise based on supply and demand why not whip the desired organs out of inmates doing time for heinous crimes and transplant them in wealthy clients and charitable cases for megabucks. Make it legal and safe so to effectively bypass the black market that encourages dodgy backstreet practitioners and ruthless biohackers.

That is a choice...

I think that this is one of the human rights abuses that the PRC is in trouble for.