The Mormons Are Coming

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mormon missionaries have invited themselves over for a chat tomorrow night.....

What is the first topic you would discuss with the elders?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The blood of Jesus Christ. They used to hate that. But they change so often like JW's do, so they may have a different idea about it now.
Not that they will wish to listen to you too much...they will probably prefer to talk.
Bless you...H

Reactions: bbyrd009 and aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am just realizing this topic should probably be in apologetics - sorry about that

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I lived in Idaho I lived in a Mormon Community, had some interesting visits! they have well formatted talking points, at first listen! then try to bring out, from what they have said! into what you firmly believe, kinda take hold of the rudder so to speak, they are well versed in what they are taught. Hold to your convictions with a calm Spirit!

Reactions: Windmillcharge

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I lived in Idaho I lived in a Mormon Community, had some interesting visits! they have well formatted talking points, at first listen! then try to bring out, from what they have said! into what you firmly believe, kinda take hold of the rudder so to speak, they are well versed in what they are taught. Hold to your convictions with a calm Spirit!

Amen, well spoken. Agree.

I found they get uncomfortable when you move things out of their learned safe ground...and script.
They have their own bible...
@aspen The older one is probably allowing the younger one to 'learn/practice on you'..the older will take over if you throw the younger one off of his safe territory.
We will pray that you get a change to sow a seed...but that is hard to do.
God is the God of miracles. :)

Reactions: Truth

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The blood of Jesus Christ. They used to hate that. But they change so often like JW's do, so they may have a different idea about it now.
Not that they will wish to listen to you too much...they will probably prefer to talk.
Bless you...H
Yes always best to hurt them where they dont like it. Nice. No point being nice to them eh? You are here telling me I should speak nice and you are doing exactly the same thing. well slightly different. you are going out your way to hurt them by your own admission. I dont try to hurt, but am not that diplomatic. So kettle black me thinks here. And aspen said you couldnt be nicer. Oh I think you could. and as we seen already scrath the surface and it will come out.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No need to think too hard on it. But, here is a good line to remember. If you are ever at an impasse or an awkward place, ask this one little question:

"And what happened before that?"

In most cases, those without understanding operating off a script, will not be able to hold up...meaning you may have an opportunity to fill in the blanks and do your own bit of evangelizing.

Reactions: Truth and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No need to think too hard on it. But, here is a good line to remember. If you are ever at an impasse or an awkward place, ask this one little question:

"And what happened before that?"

In most cases, those without understanding operating off a script, will not be able to hold up...meaning you may have an opportunity to fill in the blanks and do your own bit of evangelizing.

Agree. I am sure the Lord will find an opening to share if there is any hunger there.
@aspen looking forward to updates :)

Reactions: aspen and ScottA

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, well spoken. Agree.

I found they get uncomfortable when you move things out of their learned safe ground...and script.
They have their own bible...
@aspen The older one is probably allowing the younger one to 'learn/practice on you'..the older will take over if you throw the younger one off of his safe territory.
We will pray that you get a change to sow a seed...but that is hard to do.
God is the God of miracles. :)

You are right! All we can do is pray that they find the truth!! also I watched the older elder step in when He thought that the younger elder was in a spot! LOL older elder, younger elder, sorry I could not contain myself! I am so Elder that I would that I was a younger Elder, LOL. Be blessed!

Reactions: Helen

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As Truth said, let them do their presentation and eith pick up on somehing or ask your own questions.
One way of derailing them is to make notes of points and supporting scripture. When they've finished look up the verses anmd read them in context to ensure they do mean what they say they mean.

Do give your testimony, as talking what it means to be a Christian and what the words mean can sow a seed od doubt.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Don't tell anyone...But I so often have no idea which section a thread is posted!
I never make a point of looking...
You are right! All we can do is pray that they find the truth!! also I watched the older elder step in when He thought that the younger elder was in a spot! LOL older elder, younger elder, sorry I could not contain myself! I am so Elder that I would that I was a younger Elder, LOL. Be blessed!
You are not called to pray they find God. You are called to lead the love them and show them God in you.

Reactions: mjrhealth and aspen

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As Truth said, let them do their presentation and eith pick up on somehing or ask your own questions.
One way of derailing them is to make notes of points and supporting scripture. When they've finished look up the verses anmd read them in context to ensure they do mean what they say they mean.

Do give your testimony, as talking what it means to be a Christian and what the words mean can sow a seed od doubt.
You are not called to derail them. You are called to do unto them as you would have them do unto you. Your called to love them.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good thoughts everyone

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are not called to derail them. You are called to do unto them as you would have them do unto you. Your called to love them.

Being pedantic , derail them is exactly what we have to do, in order that they might be entrained to a right relationship with Jesus.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just went online to see what the heck is the deal with Mormons and what they may
or may not believe...I primarily was interested in the Nicene Creed...since that is the definition
set as 'what a Christian is'.
If they sat with me and wanted to 'change my beliefs'...I must say, unlike some
posts here....since I just want to love them...
not by changing them, but to love them...I would do what 'I do'....offer
them, tea or the best org coffee...cookies or little tea sandwiches and find common ground,
as I said above.
I would be a reflection of Jesus' love.
Oh how aghast all were when he dined with the Tax Collector...
the worst and most underhanded betrayer of his neighbors there could BE, working for Rome!
I bet he had a great time and a lot of laughs...winning him with just friendship...love.

This idea to change or push people to a particular way of thinking when all around people believe
Jesus died for them, are good God-fearing, good people, etc...is 'off'.
Love and being an example of kindness, respect, caring...reflex God, way more than
pushing a different view.
It's not like they are worshipping Joseph Smith or something!

I know this is not a popular view.
I'd rather they walk away thinking, "Boy that was some loving lady! I felt like I was at my Grandma's...so much tangible love in her....what the heck does she have....cuz I don't have that kinda love for strangers with different views, even tho, I smile with them and try to teach them things..."

So, that's my take. Pushy people all self-righteous...not my favorite and why
I would ignore that in them.

Reactions: aspen

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

for one they're not nut jobs, they are orderly organized and polite. they don't act like they are entitled to be telling you about what they believe. it can be a little tough to swallow the Joseph Smith story but its documented and its documented that the I do believe it was the Merkabah that was revealed to his followers in his presence hence its understood by now Mormons that God did approve of Joseph Smith's preaching and teaching and document he discovered. as a prophet of the Lord to them.

they are a decent people respecting the things and gifts of the Lord God of Israel in the name of Jesus Christ.
if you wanted to live in a peaceful low crime Christian oriented community Utah is it.

they can be resented by outsiders could be because they are a closed community of sorts. they take care of each other first, which Paul instructed the brotherhood to do. also its been my experience that the Jews can be re3sented for the same reasons where as they do take care of each other first, and outsiders next.

they stay the course on evangelizing. media seems to hate them and the US government also. back in the day they pretty much ruled most of the western territory except for California and were chipped away peace by peace of the territory until Utah became a state.

Last edited:

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Being pedantic , derail them is exactly what we have to do, in order that they might be entrained to a right relationship with Jesus.
No like i said you are called to love them. How about giving them love like they never saw before. Gods love is not pedantic. Leading them to a right relationship with Jesus is not getting them saved, thats not a right relatioship with Jesus. He never died to get you to heaven.