The Mormons - Christians or not?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wise Haven

Sep 26, 2007
I have recently posted a thread asking about Jehovah's Witnesses, their bible (The new world translation) and beliefs.I thought it would be a good idea to complete the series and ask about the Mormons to ascertain their link with Christianity, the bible and their beliefs.Better the devil you know.................:naughty:

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(jazzdrive3;16274)
It's like a badly written Isaiah clone. I couldn't get through it.
(Wakka;16277)
You mean the book of Moron
wink.gif
. The Mormon belief has changed so much, that it isn't even the same as when it first began. Black people didn't have souls. Quakers live on the moon. Everyone will become a God and have millions of spiritual babies. The more wives the better.Bottom line, It's a messed up cult.
(MickinEngland;16286)
Mormonism is a joke because among other things it's a politically-correct FLIP-FLOP RELIGION, changing its basic doctrines to suit the changing times.They even admit it - "Forget everything that I have said, or what President Brigham Young or President George Q. Cannon or whomsoever has said in days past that is contrary to the present revelation. We spoke with a limited understanding and without the light and knowledge that now has come into the world"Mormon Elder Bruce R. McConkie in an address to a Symposium for Seminary and Institute teachers, Brigham Young University, 18 Aug. 1978
(Jon-Marc;16320)
It has nothing whatsoever to do with the word of God and is NOT part of the Bible.
(kriss;16329)
I agree with all the above and I have read it It always reminds me of this verse Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:Yet they and many other religions do add to these words
Source: [url="http://www.christianityboard.com/book-mormon-t3650.html]http://www.christianityboard.com/book-mormon-t3650.html[/url]As for me, they teach baptism for the dead...which is unbiblical.Which reminds me of this scripture.I Corinthians 15:17 - And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.Lovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

Wise Haven

Sep 26, 2007
Thanks for that illumination SJI am still a little confused as to whether Mormonism is a valid part of Christianity and would ask for more information
rolleyes.gif
LOLHumour aside, I do sincerely ask what version of scriptures they follow. Is it a version we would recognize or something else.I think it important to understand these variations of scripture to be better able to see where it all goes wrong - I am just nosy I suppose:)

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Wise Haven;20669)
Thanks for that illumination SJI am still a little confused as to whether Mormonism is a valid part of Christianity and would ask for more information
rolleyes.gif
LOLHumour aside, I do sincerely ask what version of scriptures they follow. Is it a version we would recognize or something else.I think it important to understand these variations of scripture to be better able to see where it all goes wrong - I am just nosy I suppose:)
They use the King James Bible (Oldé) plus the Book of Mormon (A book not of God)(MickinEngland;16389)
..."Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible" (Book of Mormon II Nephi 29:6)
Isn't this getting more clear Wise Haven?Lovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

Nova

Sep 20, 2007
Mormons follow the Book of Mormon & the Bible. How anyone could think the "book of Mormon" is inspired by God is beyond me. I found it an exceedingly tedious read. It reads like a book written by a man. Which I suppose is good, cause you would think that keeps people from being deceived as easily.I don't recall much, since it was a struggle to even slug my way thru the whole thing. Let's see-America has a special destiny. Lost artifacts & tablets here in the US. Couples remain married in heaven. Polygamy is okay. Instead of the trinity, they teach 3 separate gods. And I recall there being some inconsistencies within the book itself, as well. A web search would give you a better information, than what I remember.In terms of the question are Mormons Christians? I'd say generally no. Although I do know of one person who is a Mormon & also a Christian. She was raised Mormon, but I can see clear evidence of the Holy Spirit in her life. And her understanding of who Jesus is & what He has done for us is solid (since she takes it from the Bible & not the book of Mormon.)

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
No they're not. There may be sects that branched off to more Christian beliefs, but if they follow the Mormon bible/beliefs then they aren't of God.

jamesrage

Apr 30, 2007
They are a cult.Nothing more nothing less.Here are some of the points of Mormonism. -Native americans were once white and JewishJoseph Smith found another testament of Jesus on Gold plates that only he was allowed to see.Translated those gold plates with rocks(seer stones) by burying his face in the hat and with those rocks and reciting the words to his buddy to write down.His buddy lost the original translations and as punishment for loosing the manuscript Joseph Smith was no longer allowed to translate from the same gold tablets.So several months he writes down another manuscript that is slightly different.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
I would like to add to this fact...Christians means to follow Christ. If they are not following Christ on His Words, how can they be a Christian at heart? They may or will say that this "religion/denomination" is of a Christian sect. What my Heavenly Father and His begotten Son gave us is a reality, not a fantasy religion.Truth > ReligionLovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

Wise Haven

Sep 26, 2007
Thank you all.I found the previous thread from August as well and you all seem to be of similar opinion. It seems to be (apart from their use of the KJV) a made up religion that tries to gain credibility by, a vague, association with Christianity.Also in many respects it seems to be an early attempt to be a cult much like scientology is today.One post mentioned that they place the book of mormon on top of the bible in their temples - a little creepy hey?

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
While it's quite possible for born again Christians to be in any religion, it's highly unlikely that most in the false religions are Christian. The false religions are not teaching salvation through Jesus because of His death and resurrection. They are not teaching that "By grace through faith are you saved." Eph. 2:8. Many of them are adding works, and we are clearly told in Eph. 2:9 that salvation is NOT of works.