The Narrow Way

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnnyB

Aug 8, 2012
West coast, USA
Hey, Johnny, how does it work with Hebrews 4:11, with 'labour'? Are they two different words?
According to esword, labour in that context means to use speed, to make effort, be prompt, earnest and diligence. Diligence means speed, eagerness and haste.

So hurry up and just do it because you haven't much time. :)

Axehead

May 9, 2012
I just learned, the word strive, in the context of Jesus exhorting His listeners to "strive to enter the narrow gate", means to struggle and literally compete for a prize, to fight, to labor fervently. It is exactly what Paul was telling us when He said, "run in such a way as to get the prize".

It blows "just believe" out of the water. ;)

Well done, JohnnyB.

Here is another one for you.

Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

σπουδáζω
spoudazō
spoo-dad'-zo
From G4710; to use speed, that is, to make effort, be prompt or earnest: - do (give) diligence, be diligent (forward), endeavour, labour, study.

Isn't it interesting how unbelief is contrasted with labouring to enter His rest?

We must enter His rest because it is evidence that we have ceased from our own works.

Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

What is significant about the life of Jesus is that He was always working but always at rest.
John 9:4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

and yet, he did not strive...(lean upon His own understanding, producing His own works apart from His Father).

From Isa 42:1-4

Mat 12:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,
Mat 12:18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.
Mat 12:19 He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.
Mat 12:20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.
Mat 12:21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

Did you see where it was prophesied that the Gentiles will trust in His Name?

Axehead

P.S. I had started this post about 2 hours ago and after I posted it, I noticed that dragonfly and johnnyB were already on the scent of Heb 4:11.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lots of good stuff on this thread Episkopos and I'm hard pressed to think of a better example of the "narrow way" than what you've shared, but I do, just for truth's sake, want to add something concerning the "broad way".

The lesson of the broad and narrow way is analogous to the lost and the saved, which is in the similitude of the parable of "a man who sowed good seed" (Mat 13:24-30) in which the "the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one" (v 38).

Not referring to any individual, but, many use the term "born-again Christian" to refer to one who is truly saved, but the truth is that there is only one type of Christian--born again. In other words, one who is a Christian in one who is born again, thus the unnecessary use of the words "born again". It's a little humorous because it's like describing one who is a tooth dentist.

It's often difficult to determine if one is in Christ because there are many carnal-Christians whose life-styles present a poor outward example due to immaturity in Christ's "image", but are nevertheless saved because they are "babe in Christ" (1Cor 3:1, 3, 16, 23).

The difference between the carnal and mature Christian in this life is seen in how they respond to their trials and in their effectiveness of their witness, because I believe these two aspects entails glorifying God the most.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lots of good stuff on this thread Episkopos and I'm hard pressed to think of a better example of the "narrow way" than what you've shared, but I do, just for truth's sake, want to add something concerning the "broad way".

The lesson of the broad and narrow way is analogous to the lost and the saved, which is in the similitude of the parable of "a man who sowed good seed" (Mat 13:24-30) in which the "the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one" (v 38).

Not referring to any individual, but, many use the term "born-again Christian" to refer to one who is truly saved, but the truth is that there is only one type of Christian--born again. In other words, one who is a Christian in one who is born again, thus the unnecessary use of the words "born again". It's a little humorous because it's like describing one who is a tooth dentist.

It's often difficult to determine if one is in Christ because there are many carnal-Christians whose life-styles present a poor outward example due to immaturity in Christ's "image", but are nevertheless saved because they are "babe in Christ" (1Cor 3:1, 3, 16, 23).

The difference between the carnal and mature Christian in this life is seen in how they respond to their trials and in their effectiveness of their witness, because I believe these two aspects entails glorifying God the most.

But Christians in our time have shunned the narrow way. It is no longer culturally viable. We don't initiate boys into manhood either thinking that game-boys will do this for them. Our society is completely sick and the church trusts this society rather than following the biblical example.

The church is really as lost as the world around it. Having a soft spot for Jesus while we watch our loved ones fail the kingdom race is NOT being on the narrow way.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
But Christians in our time have shunned the narrow way. It is no longer culturally viable. We don't initiate boys into manhood either thinking that game-boys will do this for them. Our society is completely sick and the church trusts this society rather than following the biblical example.

The church is really as lost as the world around it. Having a soft spot for Jesus while we watch our loved ones fail the kingdom race is NOT being on the narrow way.

Our loved ones have choices just as we do,to assume that because you have made a choice others are obligated to make the same choice is not biblical,to say that it depends on you beyond your biblical role of witness is not biblical.The broad way is one of ease and conveinence i agree but we are called to be faithful witnesses...we are given no command or power to force anyone into the "kingdom Race" to run it or win it.

The narrow way is just as culturally viable as it ever was,your notion that there exist a direct command to live in communes is not backed up with a direct command but simply a historical account of that time and place...if it were a commandment sufficient for salvation it would be described as so...it might also be worth mentioning that n todays world most"christian" communes have turned out to be nothing more than cults where people's money is taken from them while they work and the leadership lounges about engaging in sexual immorallity and every other kind of sin....."community" is a matter of heart and spirit,not whether or not you have your own house to live in or a bank account to pay your bills with

The hiderence to the narrow way from the culture is the same as it has always been....sin,in the form of greed,covetousness,fame,polularity,ect,ect....to add the ownership of things neccesary to sustain life in the modern world is nonsense...families must be fed,clothed and sheltered or biblical responsabilities are not being fullfilled...not lavishly or excessively but even the basics today can be quite expensive.

We don't initiate girls into Womanhood anymore than boys into manhood.....a succsessful society needs both.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Johnny,

Hmm. I don't think Axehead had seen my post. Thank you for your 'diligent, prompt, speedy' response ;).

I have been thinking about it, because it is quite a bit different from what I think of as 'labour'. Entering into His rest, is about entering into His death. No doubt there is a period of preparation for such a step of faith, but, once the decision is made, the death is instantaneous - at least, it's a very short, close, quick step, which results in the new life.

I have to say from experience that one doesn't always 'feel' the new life immediately. There is a little test of faith to be endured until one sees the new growth popping its head out of 'the earth'. Once the rest is entered, though, the growth is inevitable.

"community" is a matter of heart and spirit,not whether or not you have your own house to live in or a bank account to pay your bills with

You are correct. But there is a discipline with regard to relationships being kept right, if one is face to face every day.

JohnnyB

Aug 8, 2012
West coast, USA
Our loved ones have choices just as we do,to assume that because you have made a choice others are obligated to make the same choice is not biblical,to say that it depends on you beyond your biblical role of witness is not biblical.The broad way is one of ease and conveinence i agree but we are called to be faithful witnesses...we are given no command or power to force anyone into the "kingdom Race" to run it or win it.

The narrow way is just as culturally viable as it ever was,your notion that there exist a direct command to live in communes is not backed up with a direct command but simply a historical account of that time and place...if it were a commandment sufficient for salvation it would be described as so...it might also be worth mentioning that n todays world most"christian" communes have turned out to be nothing more than cults where people's money is taken from them while they work and the leadership lounges about engaging in sexual immorallity and every other kind of sin....."community" is a matter of heart and spirit,not whether or not you have your own house to live in or a bank account to pay your bills with

The hiderence to the narrow way from the culture is the same as it has always been....sin,in the form of greed,covetousness,fame,polularity,ect,ect....to add the ownership of things neccesary to sustain life in the modern world is nonsense...families must be fed,clothed and sheltered or biblical responsabilities are not being fullfilled...not lavishly or excessively but even the basics today can be quite expensive.

We don't initiate girls into Womanhood anymore than boys into manhood.....a succsessful society needs both.
I don't think a communal lifestyle is required either, but close fellowship and breaking of bread together is. The fastest way to get there, imo, is serving together in building His kingdom. There is a communal house here, in a nearby city and as small as they are their impact and light shining are apparent.

I don't know what epi meant by initiating boys into manhood, but what I do see at my age is society trying to feminize us, usurping family order, the roles of men and women are crossed, and look where it's taken us.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
I don't know what epi meant by initiating boys into manhood, but what I do see at my age is society trying to feminize us, usurping family order, the roles of men and women are crossed, and look where it's taken us.

You are correct. Paul Washer has a number of sermons/addresses to young people dealing with these issues.

At the time he was preaching them initially, it was all new to those listening, and I'm sure it took courage on his part to tackle the topics.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Hi Johnny,

Hmm. I don't think Axehead had seen my post. Thank you for your 'diligent, prompt, speedy' response ;).

I have been thinking about it, because it is quite a bit different from what I think of as 'labour'. Entering into His rest, is about entering into His death. No doubt there is a period of preparation for such a step of faith, but, once the decision is made, the death is instantaneous - at least, it's a very short, close, quick step, which results in the new life.

I have to say from experience that one doesn't always 'feel' the new life immediately. There is a little test of faith to be endured until one sees the new growth popping its head out of 'the earth'. Once the rest is entered, though, the growth is inevitable.

You are correct. But there is a discipline with regard to relationships being kept right, if one is face to face every day.

I agree,i see the same people everyday but i don't live with them,the modern church hates solitude because the modern culture is hypersocial looking down on anyone who is not constantly in the company of others.....they call them "loners" and recently there was some suggestion that they are a potential threat to society....we are moving towards societal ownership of the individual...all will be the same and the same will be all...modern christianity ever eager to be accepted is following right along.

I don't think a communal lifestyle is required either, but close fellowship and breaking of bread together is. The fastest way to get there, imo, is serving together in building His kingdom. There is a communal house here, in a nearby city and as small as they are their impact and light shining are apparent.

I never said i was against any of those things....the op wrote that communal living defines the narrow way Jesus spoke of....strange that Jesus never said that but had plenty to say about things like coveting and greed,theft and adultery....but by now i should be used to people going off on single scripture tangents here and forming whole doctrines based on them.....and almost always suggesting either directly or indirectly that all those who disgaree are bound for Hell.

The common accusation of the atheist is that the bible contradicts itself,in the commandments we are told not to covet what belongs to our neighbor,his house,his wife or anything that belongs to him....that he owns...we are told that a man's life does not consist of the things he has possesion of and it is true that today people allow things to own them rather than having ownership of things but this has gone on for centuries...is the bible going to tell us on one hand not to own anything and then tell us on the other hand that what we own does not define us ?

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Strat,

I agree,i see the same people everyday but i don't live with them,the modern church hates solitude because the modern culture is hypersocial looking down on anyone who is not constantly in the company of others.....they call them "loners" and recently there was some suggestion that they are a potential threat to society....we are moving towards societal ownership of the individual...all will be the same and the same will be all...modern christianity ever eager to be accepted is following right along.

Yeah. It's a while since Christians became of interest to Homeland Security. Not sure how many Christians realise that, though.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Hi Strat,

Yeah. It's a while since Christians became of interest to Homeland Security. Not sure how many Christians realise that, though.

I guess my point is that it's foolish to judge someone based on how much time they spend alone vs being with other people....the "judge not" crowd seems to have missed that one....actually it's not that hard to understand since most people who look down on those lowly loners have the attitude that if you don't want to be around me.....there must be something wrong with you.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
if you don't want to be around me.....there must be something wrong with you.

Maybe that's a sign of their insecurity? I remember feeling that every Christian I encountered was utterly bored with my company.

JohnnyB

Aug 8, 2012
West coast, USA
Jesus was with the brethren on a daily basis, He didn't have to say it because He did it. God said He would dwell IN us and AMONG us, He would walk in our midst. One single person is not the body, what good is the foot without the leg.

We, as His body, were never intended to do it alone, we are to be united spiritually and physically.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Jesus was with the brethren on a daily basis, He didn't have to say it because He did it. God said He would dwell IN us and AMONG us, He would walk in our midst. One single person is not the body, what good is the foot without the leg.

We, as His body, were never intended to do it alone, we are to be united spiritually and physically.

Some people would say that if we are not together in the same place, we are not really 'church'.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012

Who has suggested that we do it alone,Jesus worked as a Carpenter before he began his ministry...then he quit Carpentry to minister full time...is that what you are trying to say ? that people who work secular jobs are not real Christians because they are not involved in "full time" ministry ? why not just say it if that is what you mean ? was Jesus any less Jesus when he was a Carpenter ?

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Who has suggested that we do it alone,Jesus worked as a Carpenter before he began his ministry...then he quit Carpentry to minister full time...is that what you are trying to say ? that people who work secular jobs are not real Christians because they are not involved in "full time" ministry ? why not just say it if that is what you mean ? was Jesus any less Jesus when he was a Carpenter ?

Alone has nothing to do with full time or not... Honestly, I don't see what you are talking about in Johnny's post at all. :huh:

What Johnny is speaking of is the need we have for each other. We are not on our own complete. This is true physically, one works and provides this way, another is in the ministry full time, etc. But it is even more true spiritually. We have the mind of Christ, together. When we come together under the same vision and direction from God, then God is among us. He lives in us individually, and among us as a group.

This is something most of the church has completely lost; the shared life.

The disciples shared everything, they lived together, they shared meals... And Christ was among them. Meeting two hours a week is a complete and absolutely different reality. It does not require sharing more than a few words and a big room. It does not require sacrifice. We must live and die for each other... John 3:16 is one of today's most popular verse... But we are in dire need of understanding 1st John 3:16

1Jn 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

Those are not just pretty words... They are the height of the standard of what forms the church. 'You will know them by their love' implies a sacrificial and absolutely radical love for the brethren, that gives everything as Christ gave everything. We are to follow his example in this way, and give our lives up for the brethren. A disciple cannot have a separate private life... It is poured out for the brethren.

Reactions: Episkopos

JohnnyB

Aug 8, 2012
West coast, USA
I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that this is what I was saying, my post said nothing about having a secular job or not.

The topic was fellowship with the brethern - what does that have to do with a job?

Alone has nothing to do with full time or not... Honestly, I don't see what you are talking about in Johnny's post at all. :huh:

What Johnny is speaking of is the need we have for each other. We are not on our own complete. This is true physically, one works and provides this way, another is in the ministry full time, etc. But it is even more true spiritually. We have the mind of Christ, together. When we come together under the same vision and direction from God, then God is among us. He lives in us individually, and among us as a group.

This is something most of the church has completely lost; the shared life.

The disciples shared everything, they lived together, they shared meals... And Christ was among them. Meeting two hours a week is a complete and absolutely different reality. It does not require sharing more than a few words and a big room. It does not require sacrifice. We must live and die for each other... John 3:16 is one of today's most popular verse... But we are in dire need of understanding 1st John 3:16

1Jn 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

Those are not just pretty words... They are the height of the standard of what forms the church. 'You will know them by their love' implies a sacrificial and absolutely radical love for the brethren, that gives everything as Christ gave everything. We are to follow his example in this way, and give our lives up for the brethren. A disciple cannot have a separate private life... It is poured out for the brethren.
Amen!
This is exactly right.