The Narrow Way

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mat_7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Most (even true) Christians experience the first but are entirely ignorant of the way in Christ that is meant to follow. This is the sign of the times where the middle class ideals have infiltrated the church completely.

Many of us suffer much loss before we find the gate which is Jesus Christ. But afterwards we look forward to finishing our lives in much the same way as other people...

What is the narrow way?

Well let's look at the broad way first..

The Broad Way: Having our own possessions, maintaining a private life that suits us, choosing things for ourselves, maintaining a comfortable distance from other believers...seeking happiness!!!!!

The Narrow Way: Having all things in common with the brethren...maintaining a sacrificial life that testifies to Christ...submission to the Spirit in all areas of life...being grafted in community of the Spirit with other members of the Beloved as a witness to the selfless love of Christ....seeking to please God. :)

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Act 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Act 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Act 2:45 And
sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

And all that believed... This means that those who had already believed continued their lives in a new and living way. A renewed corporate way of life is required to bring out the power of the new life received individually. A believer is to continue in the path of faith...unto the fulness of Christ. Is this an individual pursuit? Of course not! Our western culture seeks the individual attainment...not so Christ.

We see the narrow way very clearly in the bible...but few indeed (especially among white middle class westerners that have all they want) will even consider to actually follow in the footsteps of Christ along the narrow way. Most are content with having gone through the doorway.

Many are called but few are chosen.

Reactions: Prentis

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Mat_7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Most (even true) Christians experience the first but are entirely ignorant of the way in Christ that is meant to follow. This is the sign of the times where the middle class ideals have infiltrated the church completely.

Many of us suffer much loss before we find the gate which is Jesus Christ. But afterwards we look forward to finishing our lives in much the same way as other people...

What is the narrow way?

Well let's look at the broad way first..

The Broad Way: Having our own possessions, maintaining a private life that suits us, choosing things for ourselves, maintaining a comfortable distance from other believers...seeking happiness!!!!!

The Narrow Way: Having all things in common with the brethren...maintaining a sacrificial life that testifies to Christ...submission to the Spirit in all areas of life...being grafted in community of the Spirit with other members of the Beloved as a witness to the selfless love of Christ....seeking to please God. :)

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Act 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Act 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Act 2:45 And
sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

And all that believed... This means that those who had already believed continued their lives in a new and living way. A renewed corporate way of life is required to bring out the power of the new life received individually. A believer is to continue in the path of faith...unto the fulness of Christ. Is this an individual pursuit? Of course not! Our western culture seeks the individual attainment...not so Christ.

We see the narrow way very clearly in the bible...but few indeed (especially among white middle class westerners that have all they want) will even consider to actually follow in the footsteps of Christ along the narrow way. Most are content with having gone through the doorway.

Many are called but few are chosen.

Do you live this way ?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you live this way ?

Yes....we see our faith as a lifestyle of being kingdom oriented in all aspects of life. There are differing periods of intensity to this. We go from revival to revival. We are currently in a build up phase for a new revival.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Yes....we see our faith as a lifestyle of being kingdom oriented in all aspects of life. There are differing periods of intensity to this. We go from revival to revival. We are currently in a build up phase for a new revival.

So you live in a group home ? do you have a job and earn your money ? are you saying that anyone who owns a home is going to hell,what do you mean by a private life ?

The broad way is constantly looking for a way to justify yourself,what you do,don't do,apart from obvious sin of course and trying to hang your hat of salvation on anything other than the finished work of Jesus.

The narrow way is loving God with all your heart,soul and strength and your neighbor as yourself and realizing you cannot earn Heaven.

I have been told in my life that i was going to hell because

I had long hair
I ate Seafood and Pork
I went to church on Sunday instead of Saturday
I played an Electric Guitar
I owned a Television
I left the Mormon church,as a former Mormon i am fully aware of the list that must be completed to enter heaven.
I listened to music other than that which is played by blue haired old ladies on a Piano and i'm sure the list will grow as i grow older.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Epi, Your definition...: "The Broad Way: Having our own possessions, maintaining a private life that suits us, choosing things for ourselves, maintaining a comfortable distance from other believers...seeking happiness!!!!!

The Narrow Way: Having all things in common with the brethren...maintaining a sacrificial life that testifies to Christ...submission to the Spirit in all areas of life...being grafted in community of the Spirit with other members of the Beloved as a witness to the selfless love of Christ....seeking to please God."

...not to be argumentative, is totally wrong.

Let's start with the narrow way. What you gave is an example of 1st century church life and yes I agree we should be closer to that model than we are, however, it is not the narrow way.

The narrow way would be this: "Take up your cross and follow me". The sufferings and temptations that we deal with as christians are the narrow way, the "valley of the shadow of death" is the narrow way, martyrdom is the narrow way. The church model you gave helps us to walk the narrow way, successfully, in the company of other believers but in and of itself it is not the narrow way.

The broad way is not earthly success, freedom, a comfortable life style or seeking happiness. This sounds like an OWS class envy argument.

The broad way is one of conformance, fear of being considered "different", over-involvement with temporal things to the neglect of spiritual things, self-centered, seeking fulfillness through works without love, status-seeking, a "life's a party and then we die" attitude, etc.

Imo, both ways are a state of mind, not a race to see who can make it to heaven with the least amount of stuff or the most self-imposed suffering. As always, it's what is in our hearts and minds, not in our homes that decides which "way" we are on.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Human beings love a good race,to the top or bottom it doesn't matter,as long as they can say they won and are better and to the guy next to them you lost and are worse.....God's standard is that ALL have sinned and fallen short.

JohnnyB

Aug 8, 2012
West coast, USA
Episkopos, Great Op!

Trekson, I agree with yours, too!

Human beings love a good race,to the top or bottom it doesn't matter,as long as they can say they won and are better and to the guy next to them you lost and are worse.....God's standard is that ALL have sinned and fallen short.
Hi Strat,

I disagree, God's standard is Jesus.

Axehead

May 9, 2012

God's righteous judgement may be that "all have sinned", but sinning is not His standard.

Axehead

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
God's righteous judgement may be that "all have sinned", but sinning is not His standard.

Axehead

God's standard of judgement is that all have sinned and fallen short...how about that.

The standard of God, for those in Christ, is Christ. As He walked, so should we, it is the narrow way.

For the love of semantics...God's standard is the standard of Jesus and the standard of Jesus is the standard of God.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
God's standard of judgement is that all have sinned and fallen short...how about that.

For the love of semantics...God's standard is the standard of Jesus and the standard of Jesus is the standard of God.

God's standard of judgement is just and righteous. :blink:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Epi, Your definition...: "The Broad Way: Having our own possessions, maintaining a private life that suits us, choosing things for ourselves, maintaining a comfortable distance from other believers...seeking happiness!!!!!

The Narrow Way: Having all things in common with the brethren...maintaining a sacrificial life that testifies to Christ...submission to the Spirit in all areas of life...being grafted in community of the Spirit with other members of the Beloved as a witness to the selfless love of Christ....seeking to please God."

...not to be argumentative, is totally wrong.

Let's start with the narrow way. What you gave is an example of 1st century church life and yes I agree we should be closer to that model than we are, however, it is not the narrow way.

The narrow way would be this: "Take up your cross and follow me". The sufferings and temptations that we deal with as christians are the narrow way, the "valley of the shadow of death" is the narrow way, martyrdom is the narrow way. The church model you gave helps us to walk the narrow way, successfully, in the company of other believers but in and of itself it is not the narrow way.

The broad way is not earthly success, freedom, a comfortable life style or seeking happiness. This sounds like an OWS class envy argument.

The broad way is one of conformance, fear of being considered "different", over-involvement with temporal things to the neglect of spiritual things, self-centered, seeking fulfillness through works without love, status-seeking, a "life's a party and then we die" attitude, etc.

Imo, both ways are a state of mind, not a race to see who can make it to heaven with the least amount of stuff or the most self-imposed suffering. As always, it's what is in our hearts and minds, not in our homes that decides which "way" we are on.

We are to do more than just follow..we are to abide!!!! The inner life is to die to self and walk in newness of life. This is abiding!! The following part is as I have stated...a physical change! The help we need is essential not optional.

So yes the living way in Christ encapsulates both the inward abiding and outward following.

JohnnyB

Aug 8, 2012
West coast, USA
We are to do more than just follow..we are to abide!!!! The inner life is to die to self and walk in newness of life. This is abiding!! The following part is as I have stated...a physical change! The help we need is essential not optional.

So yes the living way in Christ encapsulates both the inward abiding and outward following.
Abiding is essential because He IS the gate.

John 10:9 I am the gate.

It is death and denial of self, until Gal 4:19 ....until Christ be formed in you.

Reactions: Prentis

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
This life is for pain misery and suffering of either the body,mind or soul...it may be constant as was stated in the video or it may be on occasion...if there is no war going on between the flesh and the spirit then something is wrong,like any war there will be the occasional cease fire to regroup for the next battle....the peace is beyond all understanding in that most of the time it has nothing to do with the battle raging all around us and in us...and it is not the giggly,silly trivial and foolish happiness the world gives....and when the time comes to leave this life one should do it with joy.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
the peace is beyond all understanding in that most of the time it has nothing to do with the battle raging all around us and in us..

Amen, Strat.

Acts 14:they returned .... 22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, [and] exhorting them to continue in the faith,
and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

JohnnyB

Aug 8, 2012
West coast, USA
I just learned, the word strive, in the context of Jesus exhorting His listeners to "strive to enter the narrow gate", means to struggle and literally compete for a prize, to fight, to labor fervently. It is exactly what Paul was telling us when He said, "run in such a way as to get the prize".

It blows "just believe" out of the water. ;)