The Narrow Way

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
The narrow way is to believe Christ and trust God enough to tear yourself away from feeding at the beast's table and ask God to take care of you. Following Christ's example.

To extreme for anyone to find the way? That is why the way is so narrow and there are few who find it.

When the arms of the Lord (His two witnesses) reach out and strike the beast and wound it to death. then those who speak in the name of the Lord will have no choice.

14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luk_14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

Option.
1. Jesus is telling the truth
2. Jesus is exagerrating

Most believers will pick option 2 and go on living as they live without the slightest fear.

Luk_21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Option

1. Amen!
2. His words were in a different dispensation so this cannot be true.

Joh_14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

:)

Is it a mere coincidence that Jesus commands His followers to forsake all things...and that is what the early believers did as recorded in Acts????

Could the first commandment to love God with ALL we are and have mean to forsake ALL as well for the sake of Christ and the kingdom?

Or could this be covered in the new commandment to love our brother AS JESUS did?

Eph_4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Surely this unity is not achieved by happenstance. There is a price to pay. This unity is certainly further down the narrow way ...but yet the church actually began in this unity. We see in Acts what the church is supposed to look like. We need to find the way back to this.

Act 4:32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

We begin with a perfect unity and we must again finish with that unity. We begin in the Spirit, we must also finish in the Spirit.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Luk_14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

Option.
2. Jesus is exagerrating

Most believers will pick option 2 and go on living as they live without the slightest fear.

Option

1. Amen!

Joh_14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Is it a mere coincidence that Jesus commands His followers to forsake all things...and that is what the early believers did as recorded in Acts????

Could the first commandment to love God with ALL we are and have mean to forsake ALL as well for the sake of Christ and the kingdom?

Or could this be covered in the new commandment to love our brother AS JESUS did?

Eph_4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Surely this unity is not achieved by happenstance. There is a price to pay. This unity is certainly further down the narrow way ...but yet the church actually began in this unity. We see in Acts what the church is supposed to look like. We need to find the way back to this.

Act 4:32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

We begin with a perfect unity and we must again finish with that unity. We begin in the Spirit, we must also finish in the Spirit.

What about you ? how do you live ? and what do you have ? who pays for your computer and the electricity to run it ? you spend much time telling others how to live....how about you ? forsaking...to forsake means to turn away from entirely,if i am to turn away from what i have then i should also turn away from the work i do to earn the money to buy those things.....correct ? or are you saying i should keep right on working and take it all and give it to somebody like you ? I suspect that you have more than i have ever had and live better than i have ever lived.

You can read the bible as well as anyone. You just deny what is written for what you think is right.

I do and have read the bible,it does tell us to share and help one another and i have never said i was against any of that

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What about you ? how do you live ? and what do you have ? who pays for your computer and the electricity to run it ? you spend much time telling others how to live....how about you ? forsaking...to forsake means to turn away from entirely,if i am to turn away from what i have then i should also turn away from the work i do to earn the money to buy those things.....correct ? or are you saying i should keep right on working and take it all and give it to somebody like you ? I suspect that you have more than i have ever had and live better than i have ever lived.

You have proved yourself adept once again at missing the point. It would seem there are certain words of Jesus you find taboo and seek to drag down those who mention them.

I do and have read the bible,it does tell us to share and help one another and i have never said i was against any of that
'That is a comforting thought!

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
You have proved yourself adept once again at missing the point. It would seem there are certain words of Jesus you find taboo and seek to drag down those who mention them.

'That is a comforting thought!

You speak in vague generalities and are about as easy to get information from as nailing Jell-o to a wall or shoveling marbles with a pitch fork

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Strat.

Why is it that telling someone what to believe using doctrine is glorified, but sharing about how one helps the poor/needy is perceived as bragging and 'telling people how to live'?

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Strat.

Why is it that telling someone what to believe using doctrine is glorified, but sharing about how one helps the poor/needy is perceived as bragging and 'telling people how to live'?

Talk is cheap,there is no glory in any of it....the bible tells us to do what we do in secret...."sharing" is not secret...trying to come off as some high and lofty and so above it all type is not secret...secret is secret.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Talk is cheap,there is no glory in any of it....the bible tells us to do what we do in secret...."sharing" is not secret...trying to come off as some high and lofty and so above it all type is not secret...secret is secret.

What about talking about doctrine?

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Strat,

A big amen, brother. My thoughts exactly.

Hi aspen,

Doctrine is in a different category completely. It is mentioned numerous times in the NT which makes it extremely important.

Paul was always being accused by the Jews of teaching a new religion, when in fact he was teaching that what had been prophesied to them had now come one major step closer into being. To Timothy he writes:

1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, [even] the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; 4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, 5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

To the Romans he writes, right at the end of the whole epistle:

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

There is considerable benefit in discussing doctrine, to identify and pursue the focus given by Paul above.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Scripture has to be the starting point for determining doctrine, as takes us off all that man subtracted or added to God's simplicity.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Hi Strat,

A big amen, brother. My thoughts exactly.

Hi aspen,

Doctrine is in a different category completely. It is mentioned numerous times in the NT which makes it extremely important.

Paul was always being accused by the Jews of teaching a new religion, when in fact he was teaching that what had been prophesied to them had now come one major step closer into being. To Timothy he writes:

1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, [even] the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; 4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, 5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

To the Romans he writes, right at the end of the whole epistle:

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

There is considerable benefit in discussing doctrine, to identify and pursue the focus given by Paul above.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Scripture has to be the starting point for determining doctrine, as takes us off all that man subtracted or added to God's simplicity.

Amen, Strat and dragonfly.

Deu 6:6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

Deu 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Why is it important to know the Word?
Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

What were the Bereans in Thessalonica doing with Paul's preaching and teaching?

Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Axehead

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The purpose of God is easily derailed when we take what we have received and walk away with it. It is akin to getting weapons after joining the army then taking them home for your personal collection.

God equips people in order to do His will.

Luk 17:7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
Luk 17:8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?

In our haste to be satisfied from what the Lord provides we tend to miss doing the will of God FIRST.

Mat_6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

There is a way of putting our needs first rather than first serving God. How common this is!!

So what does God want? What is He looking for?

God is looking for a people that He can walk in and among. He is looking for that perfect unity and surrender both to Him AND EACH OTHER. That second part is usually relegated to the next age. But unless we have a care for the house of God and the witness of what community in the Spirit looks like we have not yet served the Master. So should we skip that part and go eat for ourselves?

God is looking for a people who walk in the victory He procured. This brings glory to the Father, that we dwell together in a divine unity.

Psa 133:1 A Song of degrees of David. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
Psa 133:2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;
Psa 133:3 As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.

What so many Christians say they are lacking is found in the body life that the majority fight tooth and nail to avoid. We will never be equipped for ourselves...but as we devote ourselves to the kingdom and the brethren God equips the body to edify one another. We call this.."one anothering". THIS is the will of God...that we show the world the oneness of God through our lives that are laid down for that purpose. We are to be witnesses together of the heavenly life. This life also is the catalyst for personal growth into the likeness of Christ...the end being a perfect love just as Jesus showed us.

Does this sound so unreasonable? Are we His or not?

Should the name of the Lord not be made great among the nations? Who will build up the ruins of old? Where is the tabernacle of David? Surely God will rebuild...but who will put God's will first?

If God is a Master, where are His servants?

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
I used to think "the narrow way" was some froofy form of communism now I know I've been wrong and that it is actually a very useful helpful way, I had a hard time admitting that I needed help with my attitude because everyone else was an idiot and weak.

Reactions: dragonfly

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I used to think "the narrow way" was some froofy form of communism now I know I've been wrong and that it is actually a very useful helpful way, I had a hard time admitting that I needed help with my attitude because everyone else was an idiot and weak.

Introspection and self -examination have nothing to do with the kingdom of God. God has a will and a desire to see His kingdom established on the earth. He desires to see His people showing that reign to the world AHEAD of time....before He MAKES it happen. He is looking to see how many want to see His reign.

No matter what platitudes people can come up with to not surrender to His will...the biblical testimony remains...as a thorn or stumbling-block for those who seek to bury it.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think you are missing the point Axe...this is not about being hermits or hippies...it is about sharing in all things both temporal and spiritual. Here is the biblical perspective...AGAIN...

I think you are missing Axehead's point.

You are presenting ONE biblical way of living.

Axehead presented a different one with the way Paul addressed households.

You seem to want a one way fits all, and that way is yours, approach.

There are many different ways that God calls us to out our Christians life.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think you are missing Axehead's point.

You are presenting ONE biblical way of living.

Axehead presented a different one with the way Paul addressed households.

You seem to want a one way fits all, and that way is yours, approach.

There are many different ways that God calls us to out our Christians life.

You are missing the biblical point. ...which is the greater point. There is nowhere in the bible where we see options as you would see it. The Christian community was based on households. This does not mean what middle class westerners think. There was no gathering around the family TV to watch Walt Disney...

Rather than try to interpret the bible through a modern lens, it is wiser (but only if one is actually seeking the truth) to interpret by the bible itself. There was no division of the church between those who had forsaken all for the church life in the Spirit and those who chose the family life. They were one in heart and mind. The things they possessed were seen as belonging to all. This does not mean they were living in a frat house or that they were living on the street. Community is an attitude above all. The church used to be a gathering of people who belonged one to another. Now it is a religious meeting that does not interfere with personal agendas.

What do you think is meant by households?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are missing the biblical point. ...which is the greater point. There is nowhere in the bible where we see options as you would see it. The Christian community was based on households. This does not mean what middle class westerners think. There was no gathering around the family TV to watch Walt Disney...

Rather than try to interpret the bible through a modern lens, it is wiser (but only if one is actually seeking the truth) to interpret by the bible itself. There was no division of the church between those who had forsaken all for the church life in the Spirit and those who chose the family life. They were one in heart and mind. The things they possessed were seen as belonging to all. This does not mean they were living in a frat house or that they were living on the street. Community is an attitude above all. The church used to be a gathering of people who belonged one to another. Now it is a religious meeting that does not interfere with personal agendas.

What do you think is meant by households?

Take off your rose tinted spectacles and look beyond the narrow confines of the first flush of disciples in Jerusalem.

There is nothing like that in the letters. They are full of disagreements and people not being of one heart and mind.

You are picking out one tiny bit and trying to make it the whole thing.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011

Option.
2. Jesus is exagerrating

Option

1. Amen!

Amen Episkopos

Christ is "The Way", "The Truth" and "The Life". Anyone who is not doing it His way and walking in His truth living His Life has missed the mark. Now is the acceptable time to ask God to show you the way, to reveal the truth and fill you with His life.

Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Take off your rose tinted spectacles and look beyond the narrow confines of the first flush of disciples in Jerusalem.

There is nothing like that in the letters. They are full of disagreements and people not being of one heart and mind.

You are picking out one tiny bit and trying to make it the whole thing.

You are looking to escape the calling in Christ while diminishing that calling...while claiming to be a believer. Paul's letters address the difficulties. It would be wrong to think that Paul condoned them. The narrow way is to continue in the same unity that was at the beginning. It is the will of God and the fervent prayer of Jesus Himself. When the whole counsel of God seems to be rose tinted...you are probably wearing the glasses yourself.

Is it necessary to begin again to explain the work of the Holy Spirit???

The standard of Christ never changes...even with the times.

It is so ironic that those who oppose the oneness of the body are the very ones Paul sought to correct. Yet these same people who accept division in the body are themselves the purveyors of that division...and why??? Selfishness!

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Introspection and self -examination have nothing to do with the kingdom of God. God has a will and a desire to see His kingdom established on the earth. He desires to see His people showing that reign to the world AHEAD of time....before He MAKES it happen. He is looking to see how many want to see His reign.

No matter what platitudes people can come up with to not surrender to His will...the biblical testimony remains...as a thorn or stumbling-block for those who seek to bury it.

Nobody's getting it right but you....everyone knows that now....on and on you go about "oness" who here has argued against it ? who here has said that division is the way to go,denominations have existed for centuries and it is well beyond any one individual to do anything but not belong to one,on and on you go about "community" who has argued against it ? bottom line is everyone must agree with Episkopos in every specific detail,method,definition and circumstance...all must come into unity with Episkopos and sub because Episkopos speaks for God...indeed he is the only perfect vessel worthy to do so....we get it already.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nobody's getting it right but you....everyone knows that now....on and on you go about "oness" who here has argued against it ? who here has said that division is the way to go,denominations have existed for centuries and it is well beyond any one individual to do anything but not belong to one,on and on you go about "community" who has argued against it ? bottom line is everyone must agree with Episkopos in every specific detail,method,definition and circumstance...all must come into unity with Episkopos and sub because Episkopos speaks for God...indeed he is the only perfect vessel worthy to do so....we get it already.

We come into unity by looking to God...not men. The bible is more than a story book...it is prophetic and testimonial. Non-believers stay away from the bible because they think the bible has nothing to do with them. Many modern believers do the same thing yet somehow claim to be believers. Same disbelief...different personal claims. Who is being more honest?