The New Covenant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does this work with those that are allegedly Israel that have died in their sins for the past 2k years, because they haven’t had their animal sacrifices to atone for their sins?

They could believe the gospel of the grace of God preached by Paul and in his epistles, they could become members of the body of Christ.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How does this work with those that are allegedly Israel that have died in their sins for the past 2k years, because they haven’t had their animal sacrifices to atone for their sins?
The sacrifices served to only atone, that is, cover their sins, but they never brought forgiveness of sins. God has a plan for Israel, when He establishes His New Covenant with Israel at the end of the Age.

You aren't the first person to ask that question, and Paul answers it specifically:
"For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery—so that you will not be wise in your own estimation—that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; and so ** *ALL *** all Israel will be saved; just as it is written Rom 11:26

“The Deliverer will come from Zion, He will remove ungodliness from Jacob.”

“This is My [New] Covenant with them, When I take away their sins. (Romans 11:25-27)

Isaiah 45:17 Israel has been saved by the LORD With an everlasting salvation; You will not be put to shame or humiliated To all eternity.

Isaiah 45:25“In the LORD ***ALL*** the offspring of Israel Will be justified, and will glory.”

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sacrifices served to only atone, that is, cover their sins, but they never bought forgiveness of sins. God has a plan for Israel, when He establishes His New Covenant with Israel at the end of the Age.

You aren't the first person to ask that question, and Paul answers it specifically:
"For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery—so that you will not be wise in your own estimation—that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; and so ** *ALL *** all Israel will be saved; just as it is written Rom 11:26

“The Deliverer will come from Zion, He will remove ungodliness from Jacob.”

“This is My [New] Covenant with them, When I take away their sins. (Romans 11:25-27)

Isaiah 45:17 Israel has been saved by the LORD With an everlasting salvation; You will not be put to shame or humiliated To all eternity.

Isaiah 45:25“In the LORD ***ALL*** the offspring of Israel Will be justified, and will glory.”
How do you believe He will take away their sins?

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How do you believe He will take away their sins?
By giving them a new heart and a new spirit. God has the power to do what He wants:

“Behold, days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a HUSBAND to them,” declares the Lord. “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the Lord, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.” Jerm31:31 cf Hebrews 10:16:

Ezekiel 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and put a new spirit within them. And I will take the heart of stone out of their flesh and give them a heart of flesh,

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I am not in confusion. The old covenant was never... meant to be an 'everlasting covenant'. I do not confuse the simple idea of words like 'old' vs. 'new'.

WHO SAYS SO?! I ?! Nonsense! And I also do not say what you imply I say, that you <<confuse the simple idea of words like 'old' vs. 'new'>>. That's NOT what I said. YOU entertain YOUR IDEA: <<The old covenant was never... meant to be an 'everlasting covenant'.>> It's not my idea -- it's your idea, that God, <never... meant .. the old covenant .. to be an 'everlasting covenant'.>> God, never <meant> anything with some covenant He supposedly made, called, <the old covenant>.

The problem is you claim God made what YOU call <the old covenant>; God never made or called HIS Covenant, <the old covenant>; God ever has made ONE Covenant which HE, has EVER called and meant, to be, The NEW Covenant.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By giving them a new heart and a new spirit.

Ezekiel 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and put a new spirit within them. And I will take the heart of stone out of their flesh and give them a heart of flesh

2 Corinthians 3:2-6 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: [3] Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. [4] And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: [5] Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; [6] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

The Epistle of Christ:
“the epistle of Christ ministered by us,(who is the us?)written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.”
not in a stony heart, but in a heart of flesh...
Ezekiel 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and put a new spirit within them. And I will take the heart of stone out of their flesh and give them a heart of flesh

The Epistle of Christ written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in stone but in a heart of flesh...Is not the New Covenant?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Epistle of Christ written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in stone but in a heart of flesh...Is not the New Covenant?

Yes, God's New Covenant is "written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God, not in stone but in a heart of flesh", the <<Epistle of Christ>>. Do you see, God's New Covenant is the Epistle of Christ -- Christ the Lord "written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God, not in stone but in a heart of flesh"?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, God's New Covenant is "written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God, not in stone but in a heart of flesh", the <<Epistle of Christ>>. Do you see, God's New Covenant is the Epistle of Christ -- Christ the Lord "written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God, not in stone but in a heart of flesh"?

Christ did not write an epistle.

Reactions: mjrhealth

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stick to the facts. The facts are the actual Word(s) of Scripture. No one --not I speaking for myself here-- deny <<God's declaration to Israel about keeping the sabbath was later, during the time of Moses>>, or deny that the <<'everlasting covenant' is about the Promise by Faith [and is] not the law or old covenant>>. You say these things to confuse and mislead the reader, that is all. So is your claim that <<God's declaration to Israel .. was .. not involving the Promise by Faith which God first gave to Abraham>> conspicuously FALSE and meaningless except to muddle the mind.

I am sticking to God's Word, especially Apostle Paul in Galatians 3 and Romans 4 where he showed that Abraham's Faith on God's Promise is the SAME Faith that believers on Christ Jesus have today. Jesus showed in John 8 that Abraham 'saw' His day, and rejoiced, and that means Abraham knew literally... The Gospel.

The difficulty is yours, with following Jewish traditions from the Pharisees who were 'against' what my Lord Jesus revealed about Abraham at the end of John 8! They wanted to stone Jesus for pointing to them that He was there in Abraham's day!!!

What the OT reveals regarding The Gospel of Jesus Christ is that Abraham knew, and so did Enoch, the seventh from Adam, who prophesied of Jesus' future coming (Jude 1). Even in Genesis 18 we are shown Abraham meeting three men, and Abraham bowed to one of them calling Him Lord. Two of the men went to get Lot out, while the other stayed back conversing with Abraham, with Abraham begging to spare the righteous. That was Jesus that Abraham was conversing with, and the two men were the two angels sent to Lot's house.

So was it not possible that a chosen elect among Israel knew Christ prior to His being born through woman's womb? Yes, you betcha dollar! The OT prophets bear witness to it.

Did the OT prophets declare The Gospel of Jesus Christ also, which is about God's Promise to send a Saviour? Yes, that is emphatically written in the OT prophet of Isaiah, even to where He would be born (Micah 5:1). And David would be given the events of Christ's crucifixion, even about the casting of lots upon Jesus' clothing, and that was about a thousand years before it happened, Jesus quoting from it while on the cross (Psalms 22).

Then there's the matter of God's Birthright promises. Those BEGAN with Abraham based on his Faith on God's Promise. And those birthright blessings then continued to Isaac, then to Jacob, then to Joseph, and then to Joseph's two sons Ephraim and Manasseh, where God's Birthright STILL exists today, but not upon unbelieving Israel, but upon believing Israel, Christ's Church! This is why there is no more king of the house of David in Jerusalem today! The Gospel was ALWAYS part of God's Birthright blessings first given through Abraham with his belief on the Promise by Faith. Heck, that belief, even by faithful Abraham, IS about belief on The Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither Abraham nor Sarah believed The Promise, but LAUGHED.

That statement is a flat out LIE.

Rom 4:3
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
KJV

You can say Sarah doubted, but NOT ABRAHAM.

Reactions: Nancy

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I will say it again, The NEW COVENANT, The Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Promise by Faith which Abraham believed, WAS ALWAYS FIRST, PRIOR TO THE OLD COVENANT.

Apostle Paul even says so...

Rom 4:2-14
2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

Abraham's righteousness was counted to him by his Faith on God's Promise, not by his works.

4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

If the Promise was by works, then it would mean a debt would be owed to the worker, and thus the Promise would not have been by God's Grace.

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him That justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 Saying, 'Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Belief on God's Promise was counted as righteousness only by Faith, without works. Abraham's belief on the Promise was 430 years prior to God giving the law through Moses (Galatians 3). So NO ONE can bring the old covenant and law into this Promise by Faith. Anyone trying to do so is an antichrist.

9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.

Paul asks how was Abraham's righteousness reckoned, while he was uncirumcised, or while he was circumcised? Paul is merely asking did Abraham's righteousness happen within the law or without the law? His answer...

11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

God giving Abraham that seal of circumcision was AFTER Abraham had believed God's Promise. That is why the Promise is by Faith, and not of works. This shows that Faith in The Gospel was FIRST, before the giving of the law.

12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.
13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
KJV

Those who try to assign the old covenant and law to The Gospel of Jesus Christ make God's Promise by Faith of none effect. That's why no believing Christian should listen to those Judaizers, for their faith and love is in the law, and not in the Promise by Faith Jesus Christ.

Reactions: mjrhealth and Nancy

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I am sticking to God's Word, especially Apostle Paul in Galatians 3 and Romans 4 where he showed that Abraham's Faith on God's Promise is the SAME Faith that believers on Christ Jesus have today. Jesus showed in John 8 that Abraham 'saw' His day, and rejoiced, and that means Abraham knew literally... The Gospel.

The difficulty is yours, with following Jewish traditions from the Pharisees who were 'against' what my Lord Jesus revealed about Abraham at the end of John 8! They wanted to stone Jesus for pointing to them that He was there in Abraham's day!!!

What the OT reveals regarding The Gospel of Jesus Christ is that Abraham knew, and so did Enoch, the seventh from Adam, who prophesied of Jesus' future coming (Jude 1). Even in Genesis 18 we are shown Abraham meeting three men, and Abraham bowed to one of them calling Him Lord. Two of the men went to get Lot out, while the other stayed back conversing with Abraham, with Abraham begging to spare the righteous. That was Jesus that Abraham was conversing with, and the two men were the two angels sent to Lot's house.

So was it not possible that a chosen elect among Israel knew Christ prior to His being born through woman's womb? Yes, you betcha dollar! The OT prophets bear witness to it.

Did the OT prophets declare The Gospel of Jesus Christ also, which is about God's Promise to send a Saviour? Yes, that is emphatically written in the OT prophet of Isaiah, even to where He would be born (Micah 5:1). And David would be given the events of Christ's crucifixion, even about the casting of lots upon Jesus' clothing, and that was about a thousand years before it happened, Jesus quoting from it while on the cross (Psalms 22).

Then there's the matter of God's Birthright promises. Those BEGAN with Abraham based on his Faith on God's Promise. And those birthright blessings then continued to Isaac, then to Jacob, then to Joseph, and then to Joseph's two sons Ephraim and Manasseh, where God's Birthright STILL exists today, but not upon unbelieving Israel, but upon believing Israel, Christ's Church! This is why there is no more king of the house of David in Jerusalem today! The Gospel was ALWAYS part of God's Birthright blessings first given through Abraham with his belief on the Promise by Faith. Heck, that belief, even by faithful Abraham, IS about belief on The Gospel of Jesus Christ!

You have found a podium, at last though not exactly the kind you would have preferred. Enjoy it while it lasts.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
ALL depending on what YOU mean by <<the old covenant>>................

So I will say it again, The NEW COVENANT, The Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Promise by Faith which Abraham believed, WAS ALWAYS FIRST, PRIOR TO THE OLD COVENANT.

Apostle Paul even says so...

Rom 4:2-14
2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

Abraham's righteousness was counted to him by his Faith on God's Promise, not by his works.

4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

If the Promise was by works, then it would mean a debt would be owed to the worker, and thus the Promise would not have been by God's Grace.

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him That justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 Saying, 'Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Belief on God's Promise was counted as righteousness only by Faith, without works. Abraham's belief on the Promise was 430 years prior to God giving the law through Moses (Galatians 3). So NO ONE can bring the old covenant and law into this Promise by Faith. Anyone trying to do so is an antichrist.

9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.

Paul asks how was Abraham's righteousness reckoned, while he was uncirumcised, or while he was circumcised? Paul is merely asking did Abraham's righteousness happen within the law or without the law? His answer...

11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

God giving Abraham that seal of circumcision was AFTER Abraham had believed God's Promise. That is why the Promise is by Faith, and not of works. This shows that Faith in The Gospel was FIRST, before the giving of the law.

12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.
13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
KJV

Those who try to assign the old covenant and law to The Gospel of Jesus Christ make God's Promise by Faith of none effect. That's why no believing Christian should listen to those Judaizers, for their faith and love is in the law, and not in the Promise by Faith Jesus Christ.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ALL depending on what YOU mean by <<the old covenant>>................

Every Christian well knows the difference between the 'old covenant' and the New Covenant.

Because you even raise doubt of what the old covenant is, that's enough for me to know you are a Judaizer, and that you belong on my Ignore list.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Every Christian well knows the difference between the 'old covenant' and the New Covenant.

Because you even raise doubt of what the old covenant is, that's enough for me to know you are a Judaizer, and that you belong on my Ignore list.

Thanks for nevertheless not ignoring, but answering. Hihihi. But tell me, what is <the old covenant> in your opinion firstly, and next, in Scripture, please? Maybe there will be some agreement between your and my opinions because we base our opinions on the same Bible, don't we?

Maybe you will find my opinion interesting, seeing there is no Scripture telling us of an 'old' covenant which God had sworn; only as far as I could find out, a covenant that was born as old and good as dead as man's faithfulness can be.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Meaning The Creator Always Knew, Everything, And Planned Everything His Way ?

Hello @Joseph77,

Yes, how futile all this argument and disputation is in the light of that truth.

'Let God be true and every man a liar.' (Rom. 3:4)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: mjrhealth