The Purpose of the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the purpose of the Bible to introduce us to God (1 Thessalonians 5:17), or is the purpose of the Bible to beat people over the heads with?

The written word is to let people know about teh Living Word. Who god is, what man has done, and what God has done to restore us. It is more, but that is it in a nutshell.

Reactions: BarneyFife

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the purpose of the Bible to introduce us to God (1 Thessalonians 5:17), or is the purpose of the Bible to beat people over the heads with?
There is the left hand as well as the right hand of God to consider. A sword can be used for evil things as well as for good things. Who is it that should be directing us?

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

WCF chpt 1 states:
“2. Under the name of Holy Scripture, or the Word of God written, are now contained all the books of the Old and New Testaments, which are these.
All which are given by inspiration of God to be the rule of faith and life.

3. The books commonly called Apocrypha, not being of divine inspiration, are no part of the canon of the Scripture, and therefore are of no authority in the church of God, nor to be any otherwise approved, or made use of, than other human writings.

4. The authority of the Holy Scripture, for which it ought to be believed, and obeyed, dependeth not upon the testimony of any man, or church; but wholly upon God (who is truth itself) the author thereof: and therefore it is to be received, because it is the Word of God.

6. The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men.“

notice how it doesnt say that only the parts God spoke should be listened to, but that both OT and NT are considered the Word of God. All the books of the Bible are given by inspiration of God. That means that what paul says is inspired by the Holy Spirit and to be followed. You’ll also notice nowhere does it say you can disagree with any part of the Bible. You either accept it all, or none.

Reactions: Nancy

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“I have slain them by the words of my mouth” (Hosea 6:5)

“He sendeth out his word, and melteth them” (Psalms 147:18)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also think the purpose of the Bible is to order our thoughts in a certain sort of way. That as we internalize the Word of God, we come to think in the ways God speaks.

Much love!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The written word is the beginning of all truth, first manifest by the Spirit on tablets, then on hearts. First to the flesh, then to the Spirit.

Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“I have slain them by the words of my mouth” (Hosea 6:5)

“He sendeth out his word, and melteth them” (Psalms 147:18)

Why not try posting verses in context? Otherwise they make zero sense.

Hosea 6:5

"Therefore I cut you in pieces with my prophets,
I killed you with the words of my mouth—
then my judgments go forth like the sun.

Psalm 147:15-18

He sends his command to the earth;
his word runs swiftly.
He spreads the snow like wool
and scatters the frost like ashes.
He hurls down his hail like pebbles.
Who can withstand his icy blast?
He sends his word and melts them;
he stirs up his breezes, and the waters flow.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Standing up for what I think is right - that women should have equal rights.

you dont see what you’re doing, do you?
You think its perfectly fine to say that paul is wrong, that the Bible is wrong.
This has nothing to do with equal rights, its about the role of men and women. Men are the head of household. They are the protectors of the family, they are the supporters of the family. Women are child bearers, they manage the household to include the kids. No one is saying women arent equal, its about their roles.

women are not to teach men, thats not their roles. If you dont like that, and think your view is right and that paul is wrong, you also dont seem to understand your role in this. We are not to question anything the Bible says as true or not, but we also should understand the context of it. Instead of believing that paul is wrong, you should be asking why did paul say that? In what context did he say it? We are to learn from the Bible, and you cant do that by questioning if its wrong or not.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you dont see what you’re doing, do you?
You think its perfectly fine to say that paul is wrong, that the Bible is wrong.
This has nothing to do with equal rights, its about the role of men and women. Men are the head of household. They are the protectors of the family, they are the supporters of the family. Women are child bearers, they manage the household to include the kids. No one is saying women arent equal, its about their roles.

women are not to teach men, thats not their roles. If you dont like that, and think your view is right and that paul is wrong, you also dont seem to understand your role in this. We are not to question anything the Bible says as true or not, but we also should understand the context of it. Instead of believing that paul is wrong, you should be asking why did paul say that? In what context did he say it? We are to learn from the Bible, and you cant do that by questioning if its wrong or not.
Why is it wrong to say Paul is wrong? He isn't God. I've learned a lot from him, but I know he isn't God.