The spoken word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

sjmopas

Nov 18, 2014
MO
For the last 3 years I have felt a growing burden to encourage other followers of Christ to be more vocal about their hope and faith in Christ; especially in the coporate worhip setting.

In preparation for a sermon series on Genesis 1, I could not get past the fact that Scripture says, "God Said..." He didn't just think awesome thoughts about what a universe would look and be like; He moved from thinking to speaking. He had a heart and desire to create, and then He spoke creative words.

I think a similar principle applies to us, espcially as Christians. We can have affectionate thoughts towards God, and hope that others will hear the gospel, but we too must move from thinking to speaking.

Don't get me wrong, some of us are more talkative than others, so I'm not saying whether you like it or not force yourself to be an explosive personality that says "Christian" things all the time, in every conversation.

It is interesting however, that even within the context of a room full of other believers there is still a large number of Christians who shy away from being vocal about their joy in the Lord, and the things He's done for them.

Thoughts?

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
sjmopas said:
For the last 3 years I have felt a growing burden to encourage other followers of Christ to be more vocal about their hope and faith in Christ; especially in the coporate worhip setting.

In preparation for a sermon series on Genesis 1, I could not get past the fact that Scripture says, "God Said..." He didn't just think awesome thoughts about what a universe would look and be like; He moved from thinking to speaking. He had a heart and desire to create, and then He spoke creative words.

I think a similar principle applies to us, espcially as Christians. We can have affectionate thoughts towards God, and hope that others will hear the gospel, but we too must move from thinking to speaking.

Don't get me wrong, some of us are more talkative than others, so I'm not saying whether you like it or not force yourself to be an explosive personality that says "Christian" things all the time, in every conversation.

It is interesting however, that even within the context of a room full of other believers there is still a large number of Christians who shy away from being vocal about their joy in the Lord, and the things He's done for them.

Thoughts?
[SIZE=16pt]I personally believe one should allow the Holy Spirit to be the one to tell a person when to speak. Not only when to speak, but what should be spoken. [/SIZE]

sjmopas

Nov 18, 2014
MO
Johnlove,

Isn't it possible that God would use you or I to ask someone to share with others what God has done in their life? Or do you believe that God will only tell us individually what He want's us to do?

It seems to me that a lot of Christians are only ok with following the leading of the HS when the HS is leading through them, but if the praise team leader, or pastor call them to give a testimony then it's seen as the pastor or praise team leader trying to force them, and abusing their leadership.

At the same time it is true that we, as humans, struggle with wanting others to do things our way, when we want them done.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I became more vocal about my faith I was amazed how many other people at work would start talking about it as well. And I work in a corporate environment. But I do feel the Holy Spirit is moving me to do such!! Some of which really surprised me!! There was one person who said I didn't seem the type. So I quickly altered that opinion of me. Now they know they can come to me for a "good word". I recommend testifying at work to anyone!!!

sjmopas

Nov 18, 2014
MO
Hi Born_Again,

I worked in grocery and retail for about 10 years; about 80% of the managers and assistant managers I worked under were homosexual, atheist, or served other gods. I was never pushy about my faith, the initial way they found out I was a Christian was when I filled out my applications. I let them know I didn't work from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown, as I keep the Sabbath. In time several of them would come up to me, during breaks, and ask me questions about spirituality and Christianity. By the end of my employment many of my managers would regularly ask me to pray for them or any family mambers who were sick or going through rough times. I would share the gospel with them, and let them know of several different churches in the area they could attend, for discipleship. I never told them about the Sabbath. What's interesting is that the only times I had problems at these jobs was when other Christian coworkers would complain about how they had to work on Sunday and I didn't have to work on Saturday. They would call me legalistic, and try to find ways to make a fuss about the fact that I would take my Bible to work and read it during my lunch break.

We definately should take every opportunity God provides us to share our hope in Him, and we don't have to be pushy and annoying about it either.