• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Acts 15, it was not only circumcision that was the issue; but the Judaizers were also attempting to place the Gentile disciples under the law of Moses (as being bound to the letter of the law).

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see you passed by one of my responses to you. I'll repeat it. I see you like Galatians. How could you miss this?

Galatians 3:
23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

I understand why you missed this one. You need a bible. The “many” will tell you the law itself is the curse. Just read Deut.11 to know the truth. Christ did not come to destroy the law but came to redeem us from the curse of the law that we might recieve the promise of the spirit through FAITH. BUT...

GALATIANS 3 [23] But BEFORE FAITH CAME, WE WERE KEPT UNDER THE LAW, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. [24] WHEREFORE THE LAW WAS OUR SCHOOLMASTER TO BRING US UNTO CHRIST, THAT WE MIGHT BE JUSTIFIED BY FAITH. [25] But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. [26] For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus

Before faith came to each and everyone of us, we are under the law {the 10 commandments, the schoolmaster}. So, according to this scripture you are kept under the law of the 10 commandments (the schoolmaster) until you are justified by faith in Christ. No shortcuts. Then there is no condemnation. After we have been brought to faith in Christ, do we then make void the law or are we to still be keeping Gods law?

ROMANS 3 [30] Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. [31] DO WE THEN MAKE VOID THE LAW THROUGH FAITH? GOD FORBID: yea, we establish the law.

Just because we have attained faith through the Word are we now to “do away” with Gods 10 commandments? GOD FORBID!

REV. 14 [12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of God, and THE FAITH OF JESUS.

Faith and the commandments. “Many” will say you cant mix faith and the law. Show them Rev.14

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's rest is not a day. It is a person.

Hebrews 4:6-9 (KJV)
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit, we will not be doing anything in violation of any just law (Galatians 5:22-23, Psalms 94:20).

Thus we have a righteousness apart from the law that is attested to by the law and the prophets (Romans 3:21).

Because this righteousness is not obtained by attempting to keep a set of do's and don'ts.

It is obtained through faith in Jesus Christ.

For we receive the Holy Spirit by faith (Galatians 3:14).

And the love of the Lord is shed abroad in our hearts through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5).

And this love is practical in nature (1 John 3:17-18) and is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within us (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

So then, as we obey the promptings of the love of the Holy Spirit within us, we will not be doing anything in violation of the law.

If we do violate the law, we can be certain that we have sinned against the love of God that is purportedly shed abroad within ou hearts.

Because by the law is the knowledge of sin (Romans 3:20).

But of course the law does not have the power to impart life (Galatians 3:21).

It does have the power to convert the soul (Psalms 19:7 (kjv), Galatians 3:24) through showing us that we are sinners in need of a Saviour (Romans 3:20).

Because if anyone is born of God, he cannot sin (1 John 3:9).

Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will in no wise enter into the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:20).

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then, as we obey the promptings of the love of the Holy Spirit within us, we will not be doing anything in violation of the law.

JOHN 14 [15] If ye love me, KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.[16] AND I WILL PRAY THE FATHER, AND HE SHALL GIVE YOU ANOTHER COMFORTER, that he may abide with you for ever;[17] Even THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.[18] I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.[19] Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.[20] At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.[21] HE THAT HATH MY COMMANDMENTS, AND KEEPETH THEM, HE IT IS THAT LOVETH ME: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I WILL LOVE HIM, AND WILL MANIFEST MYSELF TO HIM.

In order to receive the Holy Spirit we must first be keeping Gods 10 commandments. The 4th included. Thats what John 14{15-16} says. This truth is also found in verse {21}.

ACTS 5 [29] Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.[30] The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.[31] Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.[32] And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also THE HOLY GHOST, WHOM GOD HATH GIVEN TO THEM THAT OBEY HIM.

Holy Ghost {Spirit} is given to them who OBEY God

DEUT.27 [10] Thou shalt therefore OBEY THE VOICE of the LORD thy God, and DO HIS COMMANDMENTS and his statutes, which I command thee this day.

JOHN 10 [27] MY SHEEP HEAR MY VOICE, and I know them, and they follow me: [28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

The sheep Jesus came for will “obey the voice”. Obey GOD and do his commandments and then recieve Gods Holy Spirit

ACTS 2 [38] Then Peter said unto them, REPENT, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST.

You no doubt are to repent of sin and then recieve the Holy Spirit. So what is sin?

1 JOHN 3 [4] Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

Yup

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It as not intended to "ensnare".

But the fact that you think that it was makes me think that you may have something to hide.

So, you believe that you keep all of God's commandments perfectly?
Think what you like.
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
Romans 1
16For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 4:6-9 (KJV)
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

8. For if Joshua had given them rest (in the promised land), then God would not afterward have spoken of another day.

Our rest is in the actual Jesus. You seem to revere the Law of Moses more than the Son of God.

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. 26 Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. 27 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am f]">[f]gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

I understand why you missed this one. You need a bible.

Rude. Shame on you.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Biden?????

118766501_235196034499063_2545060309205230528_n.jpg

I see you passed by one of my responses to you. I'll repeat it. I see you like Galatians. How could you miss this?

Galatians 3:
19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, TILL the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one.

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

It seems you believe "the law" is only circumcision, and not the whole law.

Yes, break just one....
It's funny you are speaking some of Galatians as, I just started the book today. Gal. 5:7-10 holds much meaning for me as, God used it when I was such a babe as, I had gotten my hands on every and anything "God" in the library. to help me to understand things. Bad idea as...I got a Herbert Armstrong book and another that REALLY through me for a loop!...a Calvinistic book describing their TULIP doctrine. After reading much of the things written in those books, I called my best friend, as we came together to the Lord. I was besides myself with doubt and condemnation! So, she prayed with me on the phone. I was still not settled until....I did the childish thing and just opened the bible to wherever and put my finger on a page and, wouldn't you know it...yes, Galatians 5:7-10! FREEDOM BABY!!!! Amen and amen!

Last edited:
Reactions: BarneyFife

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That doesn't seem very nice. :)

Did you see what they did to the Scripture inserting Jesus, instead of Joshua to change the meaning that Jesus didn't give us rest? You may not like what I said, but I will ALWAYS defend Jesus. That is basically calling Jesus a liar.

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. 26 Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. 27 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Reactions: BarneyFife

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, break just one....
It's funny you are speaking some of Galatians as, I just started the book today. Gal. 5:7-10 holds much meaning for me as, God used it when I was such a babe as, I had gotten my hands on every and anything "God" in the library. to help me to understand things. Bad idea as...I got a Herbert Armstrong book and another that REALLY through me through a loop...a Calvinistic book describing their TULIP doctrine. After reading much of the things written in those books, I called my best friend, as we came together to the Lord. I was besides myself with doubt and condemnation! So, she prayed with me on the phone. I was still not settled until....I did the childish thing and just opened the bible to wherever and put my finger on a page and, wouldn't you know it...yes, Galatians 5:7-10! FREEDOM BABY!!!! Amen and amen!

Wow, talk about picking up two of the worst books on the planet!

I'm not sure what you are referring to about Galatians 5:7-10. Is it the right text?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, talk about picking up two of the worst books on the planet!

I'm not sure what you are referring to about Galatians 5:7-10. Is it the right text?

IKR??? I was flailing, not knowing what I already had believed could be a lie or not...remember, I was brand spanking new to anything not Catholic...and I had stopped many years prior going to masses.
So, as I did the thing after praying with my friend, and my finger landed on Gal 5:7...I was rejoicing and had such a burden lifted because I could not tell who was telling me the truth!
At the start of the verse Galatians 5:7...
"You were running the race so well. Who has held you back from following the truth?"...
8 "That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you."

To me, at the time, 1992 to be exact...this meant everything as He gave me something, pertaining to something else (circumcision) that was very germane to my present issue at that moment in time...I had no idea what Galatians was all about, at all!

So, it was a blessing to me and He let me know, in His way that I should get rid of those books! I had others as well but, they were things like C.S. Lewis writings. :)

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IKR??? I was flailing, not knowing what I already had believed could be a lie or not...remember, I was brand spanking new to anything not Catholic...and I had stopped many years prior going to masses.
So, as I did the thing after praying with my friend, and my finger landed on Gal 5:7...I was rejoicing and had such a burden lifted because I could not tell who was telling me the truth!
At the start of the verse Galatians 5:7...
"You were running the race so well. Who has held you back from following the truth?"...
8 "That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you."

To me, at the time, 1992 to be exact...this meant everything as He gave me something, pertaining to something else (circumcision) that was very germane to my present issue at that moment in time...I had no idea what Galatians was all about, at all!

So, it was a blessing to me and He let me know, in His way that I should get rid of those books! I had others as well but, they were things like C.S. Lewis writings. :)

Okay, now I see what it was about those verses..

Reactions: Nancy

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you see what they did to the Scripture inserting Jesus, instead of Joshua to change the meaning that Jesus didn't give us rest? You may not like what I said, but I will ALWAYS defend Jesus. That is basically calling Jesus a liar.

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. 26 Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. 27 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
I didn't see that. Sorry, I probably shouldn't have said anything. :)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JOHN 14 [15] If ye love me, KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.[16] AND I WILL PRAY THE FATHER, AND HE SHALL GIVE YOU ANOTHER COMFORTER, that he may abide with you for ever;[17] Even THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.[18] I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.[19] Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.[20] At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.[21] HE THAT HATH MY COMMANDMENTS, AND KEEPETH THEM, HE IT IS THAT LOVETH ME: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I WILL LOVE HIM, AND WILL MANIFEST MYSELF TO HIM.

In order to receive the Holy Spirit we must first be keeping Gods 10 commandments. The 4th included. Thats what John 14{15-16} says. This truth is also found in verse {21}.

ACTS 5 [29] Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.[30] The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.[31] Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.[32] And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also THE HOLY GHOST, WHOM GOD HATH GIVEN TO THEM THAT OBEY HIM.

Holy Ghost {Spirit} is given to them who OBEY God

DEUT.27 [10] Thou shalt therefore OBEY THE VOICE of the LORD thy God, and DO HIS COMMANDMENTS and his statutes, which I command thee this day.

JOHN 10 [27] MY SHEEP HEAR MY VOICE, and I know them, and they follow me: [28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

The sheep Jesus came for will “obey the voice”. Obey GOD and do his commandments and then recieve Gods Holy Spirit

ACTS 2 [38] Then Peter said unto them, REPENT, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST.

You no doubt are to repent of sin and then recieve the Holy Spirit. So what is sin?

1 JOHN 3 [4] Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW.

Yup

Can anyone love Jesus without having the Holy Spirit first?

See Romans 5:5...the love of the Lord is shed abroad in the heart through the Holy Ghost.

God gives the Holy Spirit to them that obey Him (Acts of the Apostles 5:32)...but which comes first? Obedience or the Holy Ghost?

Personally, I don't think that we can adequately obey God without the Holy Ghost (see John 15:1-8).

Of course a man must make a decision that he will begin to obey the commandments (i.e. repent) in order for Jesus to send the comforter, according to your verses.

But if we receive the Holy Spirit as the result of actually obeying His commandments, then salvation is by works (and this is not true according to scripture; specifically Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:1-8, Titus 3:4-7, and Romans 11:5-6).

Therefore, we receive the Holy Ghost not as the result of doing any singular good work; but as the result of receiving Jesus as Lord; which is a commitment to begin to do good works consistently from that point forward. Then we begin to obey Him because we have the Holy Spirit (Acts of the Apostles 5:32), not the other way around.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The idea that grace is a loophole borders on the abominable. I think I'm being charitable here.

Thanks for your “ charity”. I don’t want it or need it though....

Now explain to me how the Gospel Of Grace is “ NOT” a Loophole .It sounds crude to put it that way, I am aware of that .....I do that with the hope that it may wake somebody up to the Truth....but the Fact remains.....The Gospel is a “ way of escape” ( a loop hole) from the hopeless Religion Of Judaism , a constant struggle to keep 613 Commandments that God knew all along could not be kept.....

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The righteousness of the law is fulfilled in those who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit (Romans 8:4).

See also Matthew 5:20; 1 John 3:4-9.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore, we receive the Holy Ghost not as the result of doing any singular good work; but as the result of receiving Jesus as Lord; which is a commitment to begin to do good works consistently from that point forward. Then we begin to obey Him because we have the Holy Spirit (Acts of the Apostles 5:32), not the other way around.

So Christianity is really no different than “ turning over a New Leaf” according to how you view it....this “ commitment to try your best to be a Good Boy from this point forward” is HogWash—- the very OPPOSITE of Christianity! Paul Warned about this type of erroneous thinking—- He called it “ Will Worship”......it will make a person more “ Moral” , Perhaps .It does NOT make one a Christian.God is not looking for Immoral People That are willing to make themselves Moral.That kind of thinking can impress those that only see the “ outside of the cup” . God is looking for Dead Men— those who are Lost Sinners.....who KNOW that they are Lost Sinners and Humble themselves before Him and KNOW they have NOTHING to offer God but their Sins......No “ Committment”, no vows to “ Do Better”, Nothing But this is acceptable —— “ Lord, have Mercy on me , a Sinner”.
Saying that , or the equivalent of that , is what God wants to hear. Then He will go to work on you, putting His Holy Spirit in you to TRANSFORM the INSIDE of the Cup—— an Act That only HE can do ....Our “ TRYING” to keep self- imposed “ Comittments” is just another way to say that one is forgetting GRACE and going back to the Law, except THIS time you are going to grit your teeth and TRY Harder to keep it....
God will not save those that are “ Trying to Be Saved” He WILL Save ALL of those “ TRUSTING “ to be Saved......understanding the difference determines Heaven or Hell.....Good Luck and May God Bless....

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord will not sanctify us without our cooperation and surrender to the work that He desires to do within us.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course our salvation is not through law-keeping, or even obedience, or our performance, or our works.

However, we need to take this into account:

Mat 5:20, For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

We are sanctified (Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29) and cleansed (1 John 1:7) through the blood of Jesus.

This is a righteousness that is not only imputed but imparted (1 John 3:7, Romans 5:19, Matthew 5:6).

It does not come by the law (Galatians 2:21).

But as it comes through faith in Jesus Christ, we are sanctified and cleansed from the inside out so that the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us (Romans 8:4); not only from the perspective of the outward requirement, but the Lord enacts an inward change that makes us righteous on the inside.

Last edited: