• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course our salvation is not through law-keeping, or even obedience, or our performance, or our works.

However, we need to take this into account:

Mat 5:20, For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
In regards to Matthew 5:20 - "unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven," this statement from Jesus would certainly come as a shock to the multitude of people who had great admiration for the Pharisees and teachers of the law for their knowledge of the law and seeming righteousness and holiness in external observance of the law, yet Jesus points out their righteousness was defective.

The righteousness that exceeds the "righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees" (self righteousness) is the righteousness of God which is from God by faith.

Philippians 3:9 - and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith.

Romans 3:21 - But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22
even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference.

Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I might wanna add the book of Galatians is a book containing 6 very short chapters. In these 6 chapters circumcision is mentioned 16 times. The commandments are not mentioned once. Yet, those people that wish to do away with GODS commandments use scriptures from Galatians to try and do so. The law of circumcism is one of the carnal ordinances of the law that were nailed to the cross. Those that wish to do away with Gods 10 commandments will also try and tell you that the ordinances and the ten commandments are simply parts of the law and are not separate from one another. In saying that they will point to a scripture thats speaking of circumcision and then apply that scripture to Gods 10 commandments. This is done to extreme in the book of Galatians. The scripture below separates the law, the commandments and the ordinances

2 KINGS 17 [36] But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.[37] AND the statutes, AND the ordinances, AND the law, AND the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods.

AND means AND....

1 COR. 7 [19] Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

And although the law of circumcision was nailed to the cross, Gods law (the 10 commandments) are to be kept.
I 'liked' this but that doesn't mean I agree on everything with you. o, for what it's worth to you. One never knows with SDA.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regards to Matthew 5:20 - "unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven," this statement from Jesus would certainly come as a shock to the multitude of people who had great admiration for the Pharisees and teachers of the law for their knowledge of the law and seeming righteousness and holiness in external observance of the law, yet Jesus points out their righteousness was defective.

The righteousness that exceeds the "righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees" (self righteousness) is the righteousness of God which is from God by faith.

Philippians 3:9 - and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith.

Romans 3:21 - But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22
even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference.

Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

The righteousness of God that is apart from the law is a practical righteousness that is attested to by the law and the prophets.

Galatians 5:22-23 shows forth that this righteousness is according to the law (just not by it)...the law testifies that this righteousness is righteousness indeed (Romans 3:21).

Also, it is clear in 1 John 3:7 that those who do what is righteous are righteous, even as Jesus is righteous.

It is an inward cleansing (see 1 John 1:7) that causes us to be able to walk according to the Spirit rather than the flesh.....and the result is that the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us. It being fulfilled in us, the inside of the cup and platter is cleansed; and the outside will then be clean also.

God does indeed justify the ungodly. This means that I am given a new identity in Christ, that I am righteous, even when I exhibit ungodly behaviour. The exhortation then is to go and live like my new identity (1 John 3:7, Romans 5:19, Matthew 5:6).

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Reminds one of Jesus' judgement on those who claimed, We did this and we did that and we didn't do this and we didn't do that-- never seen you hungry even Lord, or whatever, and then the other bloke who bewailed, O God, be merciful on me, I've never done no good, no not once.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im not SDA. You??

Actually, from the way you tried to diminish Jesus, when the verse in Hebrews 4 was actually speaking of Joshua in the Old Testament, if I had to guess, I would say you are more like JW.

SDA's would NEVER do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's the real number?
It's highly disputed, but it isn't 613. 613 is the number contained in the Mitzvot, but rabbinical authorities can't even agree on what constitutes a commandment. The situation is a lot like that of Christendom today. No one can agree on more than a few dozen verses in the New Testament.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's highly disputed, but it isn't 613. 613 is the number contained in the Mitzvot, but rabbinical authorities can't even agree on what constitutes a commandment. The situation is a lot like that of Christendom today. No one can agree on more than a few dozen verses in the New Testament.

Yep. I know no one likes the verses I know to be true. LOL

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think it's inaccurate to use the number 613 to speak of the average # of all the laws in the Old Testament; as opposed to the ten written on tablets.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think it's inaccurate to use the number 613 to speak of the average # of all the laws in the Old Testament; as opposed to the ten written on tablets.
Agreed. If it actually represented an average, but it doesn't, which makes it the opposite of accurate: Inaccurate. But if you only think so, I guess it's ok. :D

Reactions: CharismaticLady

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's pretty sick. And the 613 figure has been thoroughly debunked.

I think what Blood Bought meant by this:

Blood Bought 1953 said:
...Commandments that God knew all along could not be kept.....

is that the Jews still had the sin nature in them. Romans 7:13. The law was holy, but man was carnal since Adam's sin, even with the law, thus the struggle of Romans 7:14-23. The carnal nature was in opposition to the holy law.

That sin nature had to be changed, and the desire to sin eradicated, and that was done through Jesus filling us with His sinless Spirit. Romans 8:1-9, 1 John 3:5-9, and 1 John 5:18. It is called being born again, and Jesus said, "ye MUST be born again." In other words, partake of the divine nature, 2 Peter 1:2-4, and 5-11

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. If it actually represented an average, but it doesn't, which makes it the opposite of accurate: Inaccurate. But if you only think so, I guess it's ok. :D
The number 613 commandments can be used as a representation of a doctrine; that there are more than just the ten written on stone tablets that we have to deal with, per Galatians 6:13.