• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, (2 Timothy 3:16)

consider ‘profitable’ there in the passage and ‘for instruction in righteousness’ with
John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

‘Profitable’ for correction, and for instruction in righteousness. Philippians 3:3-9 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. [4] Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: [5] Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; [6] Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. [7] But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. [8] Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, [9] And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

So which is it? Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in (my own)righteousness,(Which is by the law)

or Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in (through the faith of Christ, The) righteousness, (of God by Faith) ?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristisGod

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you fail to understand Ronald Nolette was NOT talking about righteousness, but the law, which is now null and void, unless that is you do not accept Christ as your saviour, and then you come under the law, that condemns you to death.
I was specifically addressing the definition of the word "fulfill."

Try to keep up.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
consider ‘profitable’ there in the passage and ‘for instruction in righteousness’ with
John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

‘Profitable’ for correction, and for instruction in righteousness. Philippians 3:3-9 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. [4] Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: [5] Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; [6] Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. [7] But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. [8] Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, [9] And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

So which is it? Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in (my own)righteousness,(Which is by the law)

or Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in (through the faith of Christ, The) righteousness, (of God by Faith) ?
Straw man.
Once again,
Not advocating legalism.
Never have.
Never will.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you fail to understand Ronald Nolette was NOT talking about righteousness, but the law, which is now null and void, unless that is you do not accept Christ as your saviour, and then you come under the law, that condemns you to death.

A Christian keeps the righteous requirements of the law of Christ. You know that don't you? Romans 8:2 We are free from sin, not from being righteous.

cc: @BarnyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obedience is legalism.
Obedienve is legalism.
Can anyone come up with an argument against obedience that is not a straw man?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obedience is legalism.
Obedienve is legalism.
Can anyone come up with an argument against obedience that is not a straw man?

We naturally obey what is righteous because of the divine nature of the Spirit within us, that has changed us 180 degrees from the sin nature we had that was in opposition to the law. Jesus said, we MUST be born again. Also, anyone without the empowering Spirit of Christ INSIDE them, doesn't belong to Him.

Reactions: Cooper

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Christian keeps the righteous requirements of the law of Christ. You know that don't you? Romans 8:2 We are free from sin, not from being righteous.

cc: @BarnyFife
Christ gave His commandments on Mount Sinai. He and His Father are One. He says "If you love me, keep my commandments." He kept His Fathers commandments. I have responded to His knock and asked Him to enter my heart, forgive me and change me. I don't understand fancy talk about the law. "Righteous requirements of the law of Christ" makes no sense to me.

I was talking about the definition of the word "fulfill." I was not advocating the nullification of righteousness.

If I get pulled over for speeding and say "But I was keeping the righteous requirements of the highway safety laws," I'm still getting a ticket.

But if I simply drive below the speed limit, I won't even get pulled over. Laws are meant to be kept. This discussion will never end. I do not believe that the ten commandments have been replaced by a vague, mystical love code. I don't believe the Bible teaches such a thing, and 100 years ago, no one would even have suggested such a thing. There has been no enlightenment or awakening in the last century. Instead, the church has, by-and-large, experienced an information glut and spiritual decline. Even Billy Graham affirmed the ten commandments, including the 4th. The Christian church is in apostasy today. The pendulum swings but it never pauses in the middle. Always heading for, or in position of, extremes. :)

Reactions: Brakelite

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Christ gave His commandments on Mount Sinai. He and His Father are One. He says "If you love me, keep my commandments." He kept His Fathers commandments. I have responded to His knock and asked Him to enter my heart, forgive me and change me. I don't understand fancy talk about the law. "Righteous requirements of the law of Christ" makes no sense to me.

I was talking about the definition of the word "fulfill." I was not advocating the nullification of righteousness.

If I get pulled over for speeding and say "But I was keeping the righteous requirements of the highway safety laws," I'm still getting a ticket.

But if I simply drive below the speed limit, I won't even get pulled over. Laws are meant to be kept. This discussion will never end. I do not believe that the ten commandments have been replaced by a vague, mystical love code. I don't believe the Bible teaches such a thing, and 100 years ago, no one would even have suggested such a thing. There has been no enlightenment or awakening in the last century. Instead, the church has, by-and-large, experienced an information glut and spiritual decline. Even Billy Graham affirmed the ten commandments, including the 4th. The Christian church is in apostasy today. The pendulum swings but it never pauses in the middle. Always heading for, or in position of, extremes. :)
If someone told me to lie, steal, kill, etc. my immediate reaction would be to step back in horror. Not because of any law, that is simply how I am, the thought of harming another is simply abhorrent to me. I am shocked that people can even confess to having these thoughts while claiming to be a Christian.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
never said you were. So what is the straw man?
----->>>>>So which is it? Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in (my own)righteousness,(Which is by the law)<<<<<-----

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone told me to lie, steal, kill, etc. my immediate reaction would be to step back in horror. Not because of any law, that is simply how I am, the thought of harming another is simply abhorrent to me. I am shocked that people can even confess to having these thoughts.
You don't have to commit horrible (to you) acts to be guilty. Have you read the Gospels?

Matthew 5
21Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: 22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:
27Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You don't have to commit horrible (to you) acts to be guilty. Have you read the Gospels?

Matthew 5
21Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: 22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:
27Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
If anyone has bad thoughts, they have a bad spirit, they need Jesus in their life. When Christ enters in, the devil departs.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certainly not, the first requirement is that we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ for whom he truly is, i.e. the triune God.
Here we go again. Where in the Bible does it say that the first step of salvation is to believe in the Trinity? Where do you get this stuff?