• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You bring up an excellent point, again! A day of devotion to express gratitude, contemplate His providence, generosity and majesty. Apply a day of rest which reflects one's faith in His abundance, i.e. let the land rest due to the surplus that was harvested the previous years, ...or previous 6 days.
Thank you BF, you've enlightened me to recognize a few points as to why God would both reserve and sanctify a day, in dedication to Himself. I believe now that there are edifying aspects to such a precept.
Is it, after the abrogation of the Law, binding on Christians, I'm not sure? But, I will affirm, clearly not unto death, as it was during the Old Covenant.
Thank you, DNB, for participating. :)

Reactions: DNB

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was growing up in mid-20th century America, the ten commandments were the standard of morality for Christians. My Southern Baptist grandmother often asked me to mow her lawn (about an acre). But she would never allow me to do it on Sunday.

Lately, I'm hearing more and more about a doctrine which states that the ten commandments were nailed to the cross and that the Holy Spirit has replaced them. I recently asked my very aged father about this and he said that he'd never even heard of such a thing.

What happened?

Hi Barny,
Like your dad, neither have I ever heard such a thing.
What happened to the big 10? Imho, they are just as powerful and true, even more so now than they were in Moses day! Jesus raised the bar on the mount and then He gave us the 2 (Love God, Love Others)...and the rest will fulfill themselves.

Of course, were one to decide to "live under the law", they cannot break a single one and we know that Christ died because of that very thing, man cannot save himself through the Law. But now, if we DO sin, we have His forgiveness, and His grace. "Taste and see that He is good"!

"My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you will not sin.
But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate before the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One."
1 John 2:1

jm2c :)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Still thinking . . .
Ephesians 2
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

Matthew 26
27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

We were strangers to the covenants of promise, and we are made near by the blood of Christ, not be covenant,

yet "this is the blood of the new covenant".

As I'm thinking about this, it seems good to agree with you, that we are not brought into the new covenant, rather, we are simply offered reconciliation with God. But the blood that brings us close is the blood of the new covenant.

So still thinking . . .

Much love!
Hi @marks,

Gentile believers were being 'made nigh' unto God, by the blood of Christ. Having previously been 'without God' and 'without Christ'. Now salvation had been sent to the Gentiles, and Christ was 'in' (or 'among') them as 'their hope of glory' (Colossians 1:27). Salvation having, until that divine revelation given to Paul, been 'of the Jew' (John 4:22)

The truth concerning the church of the body of Christ (the Mystery), of which He is the Head, is only the subject of the prison epistles of Paul; for until the time of their writing this mystery was 'hid in God' (Ephesians 3:9 & Colossians 1:26), and revealed only to Paul as it's 'Steward' or administrator.

* Re. Matthew 26: The blood of Christ would be the blood of the New covenant, yes, though it had obviously not, at that time, been shed. However in Matthew 26 it was the Passover they were keeping, and He was speaking to believing Israelites, to whom the New Covenant would be made.

Thank you
Within the love of Christ
our Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God:
.. in it thou shalt not do any work,
.... thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant,
...... nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth,
the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day:
wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.'

(Exodus 20:8-11)

Hello there, @BarnyFife,

In Exodus 31:12-18, God speaks to Moses concerning the sabbath day, and in verses 16 & 17 He says:-

'Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath,
to observe the sabbath throughout their generations,
for a perpetual covenant.
It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever:
for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth,
and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.'

* This is exclusively between God and the children of Israel, it was to be a sign between and them and God, as a perpetual covenant. The penalty for not keeping it was death.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The point being, The Law made righteous those who followed it while under the Old Law. Today, faith in Christ Jesus is the New Law. So that, to break even a moral injunction from the Decalogue will not disqualify you from God's Kingdom, whereas during the Old Dispensation, it would.
But this is nonsense the point being that the children of God during the Old Dispensation were led out of Egypt by faith in Christ Jesus, so how could to break a moral injunction from the Decalogue that not even then existed, have disqualified any from God's Kingdom which "is his inheritance in the saints"?

So what utter nonsensicality is this, <<The - Old - Law made righteous those who followed it while under the Old Law. Today, it would>>? And you even wrote this humbug on a Christian forum?!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
In Exodus 31:12-18, God speaks to Moses concerning the sabbath day, and in verses 16 & 17 He says:-

'Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath,
to observe the sabbath throughout their generations,
for a perpetual covenant.
It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever:
for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth,
and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.'

* This is exclusively between God and the children of Israel, it was to be a sign between and them and God, as a perpetual covenant. The penalty for not keeping it was death.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Consistent hey? Tell God! Tell Him He can only be the God of Israel and not your God too because HE SAID SO.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
* Re. Matthew 26: The blood of Christ would be the blood of the New covenant, yes, though it had obviously not, at that time, been shed. However in Matthew 26 it was the Passover they were keeping, and He was speaking to believing Israelites, to whom the New Covenant would be made.

Thank you
Within the love of Christ
our Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

So that rather than instituting something to be kept throughout the world in the gentile church, Jesus was simply identifying the meaning of this particular detail in the Passover ceremony? Is that the right idea?

Much love!

Reactions: charity

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“If you want to enter into life, keep the commandments” (Matthew 19:17).

“He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him” (Hebrews 5:9).

“Not everyone who says to Me,‘Lord,Lord,’shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven” (Matthew 7:21).

“The LORD commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that He might preserve us alive” (Deuteronomy 6:24).

“As soon as they hear of me they obey me” (Psalm 18:44).

“Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4).

“You are My friends if you do whatever I command you” (John 15:14).

“I made haste, and did not delay to keep Your commandments” (Psalm 119:60).

“This is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3).

“Please, obey the voice of the LORD. ... So it shall be well with you, and your soul shall live” (Jeremiah 38:20).

“So shall I keep Your law continually, forever and ever. And I will walk at liberty, for I seek Your precepts” (Psalm 119:44,45).

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I was growing up in mid-20th century America, the ten commandments were the standard of morality for Christians. My Southern Baptist grandmother often asked me to mow her lawn (about an acre). But she would never allow me to do it on Sunday.

Lately, I'm hearing more and more about a doctrine which states that the ten commandments were nailed to the cross and that the Holy Spirit has replaced them. I recently asked my very aged father about this and he said that he'd never even heard of such a thing.

What happened?
Hi. It is my understanding that it was the law of sin and death that was nailed to the cross with Christ.
When I was a kid, the family next to us were Christians. The kids were not allowed to ride their bikes on Sunday. This is legalism and an attempt to add to His atonement. Which is, at its root, unbelief. God says that Christ's atonement covers us 100%.
The real Sabbath is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. I recently watched a video that was made to explain how Messianic believers view observing the Sabbath. At first, I was afraid they were going to say that you were saved by Christ and observing O.T. laws. I was happy to learn I had nothing to worry about. They said that it was Messiah's atonement that saves us 100%.
Instead, Shabbat (Sabbath) is a day devoted to the Lord. It's a time for fellowshipping, teaching, worshipping, and my favorite part, the Sabbath feast. Observance of this day is done out of love for God and is an act of worship. This is not a law. Shalom.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“If you want to enter into life, keep the commandments” (Matthew 19:17).

“He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him” (Hebrews 5:9).

“Not everyone who says to Me,‘Lord,Lord,’shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven” (Matthew 7:21).

“The LORD commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that He might preserve us alive” (Deuteronomy 6:24).

“As soon as they hear of me they obey me” (Psalm 18:44).

“Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4).

“You are My friends if you do whatever I command you” (John 15:14).

“I made haste, and did not delay to keep Your commandments” (Psalm 119:60).

“This is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3).

“Please, obey the voice of the LORD. ... So it shall be well with you, and your soul shall live” (Jeremiah 38:20).

“So shall I keep Your law continually, forever and ever. And I will walk at liberty, for I seek Your precepts” (Psalm 119:44,45).

I would merely point out what it says in Galatians 2:16 and Romans 3:20...that no one will be justified in God's sight through keeping the law.

Because, all have sinned, and come short of the glory of the Lord (Romans 3:23).

Therefore the only way into heaven is, not through keeping the law; for if you attempt to enter in that way you must obey the law perfectly from conception into eternity (see Galatians 3:10, James 2:10, Matthew 5:48).

It is through Christ substituting His perfect life for yours.

All of your sins were laid on Him; and His perfect life is applied to your account.

And you appropriate this gift through faith in His shed blood (Romans 3:25, Romans 5:1, Romans 5:9).

It is called imputed righteousness.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, (2 Timothy 3:16)
When Paul wrote this, there was no New Testament (not that I think you wouldn't know that).
Christ's magnification of the law did not nullify it.

Amen

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I would merely point out what it says in Galatians 2:16 and Romans 3:20...that no one will be justified in God's sight through keeping the law.

Because, all have sinned, and come short of the glory of the Lord (Romans 3:23).

Therefore the only way into heaven is, not through keeping the law; for if you attempt to enter in that way you must obey the law perfectly from conception into eternity (see Galatians 3:10, James 2:10, Matthew 5:48).

It is through Christ substituting His perfect life for yours.

All of your sins were laid on Him; and His perfect life is applied to your account.

And you appropriate this gift through faith in His shed blood (Romans 3:25, Romans 5:1, Romans 5:9).

It is called imputed righteousness.

None of which you would have put in writing here, if you haven't meant it on purpose not against the Ten Commandments, but exclusively AGAINST THE FOURTH Commandment.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Paul also taught us the spirit of the law when he informed us that "every day is the sabbath'. The Holy Spirit/law written upon our heart guides us to keep the spirit of the law. The letter of the law is for the immature.

<<Paul also taught us the spirit of the law when he informed us that "every day is the sabbath'.>> Blasphemy! YOU QUOTE PAUL!

<The Holy Spirit/law written upon our heart guides us to keep the spirit of the law. The letter of the law is for the immature>> Another BLASPHEMY! "EVERY prophecy", that is, every WORD OF SCRIPTURE, "is Holy Spirit OF GOD breathed". <<the spirit of the law>> and <<the letter of the law>> is identical and the very same WORD OF GOD. But YOU put them in opposition and contradiction and CONFUSION OF THE DEVIL.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As far as the Ten Commandments are concerned, I personally would feel that the Sabbath observance would be abolished, since I find absolutely no intrinsically moral aspect about its regiment
Would there not be an intrinsic moral value to simply obeying God because you recognise His authority over you?
The new covenant was always intended to include the gentiles. That was a mystery which Paul revealed. But the Law was never given to the gentiles.

Much love!
Might I suggest the old covenant was never intended to exclude Gentiles? Therefore whatever provisions and conditions that were attached to the OC applied to Gentiles as much as Israel. The issue was Israel only seldom extended those privileges to Gentiles... They weren't offered the choice.