• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The objection to obedience is always the same: "Legalism! Legalism!"

Obedience as a means to salvation is legalism.

Obedience as a response to this verse:
If ye love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15)
is faith that works by love (Galatians 5:6).

The commandments of Jesus were also the commandments of the Father, for Jesus spake not of Himself (John 12:49; John 14:10). He endorsed the moral commands given to ancient Israel (see on Matthew 5:17–19) and magnified them (see on Isaiah 42:21). He gave commands of His own, such as the new commandment (John 13:34), not to replace any of the moral precepts, which reflected the character of the unchangeable God, but to set forth their true meaning and to show how their principles should be applied to various life situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you keep these with a sin nature?

Even with New Hearts and New Natures , NOBODY loves God with ALL of their heart, ALL of their minds and ALL of their Soul .....NOBODY loves their neighbor as much as they do themselves.....we MUST accept the Grace that God bestows on all Believers.....I’m like Paul— I don’t “ hold back” the Grace Of God.We are much bigger Sinners than we think we are.Even if you are a person who has been saved for 90 years and God has spent all that time “ Transforming you into the Image Of His Son....you are still gonna need a TON of Grace to get you Home. The closer one gets to God, the farther away he sees himself. There is a reason for that- even the greatest Prophets of the Old Testament, the best men that that the Jews could offer, had the same reaction to meeting God. That reaction was this—- “ WOE is me, I am unclean”. Now, because of Grace, and ONLY because of Grace, I can approach the very Throne of God Himself and make my request known to Him.....Remember, it’s ALL of Grace, freely and abundantly given.Why do people refuse it ?I revel in it and thank God for it.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first four Commandments mean,
1) God cannot be conceived or concluded for being,
2) God cannot be compared with any being,
3) God cannot be confused for being,
4) God cannot be mistaken for being.

The last seven Commandments mean,
4) Man must not forget it is God who made him and saved him,
5) Man must honour not himself but whom God had given honour to,
6) Man must not kill man in whose flesh God became his Life-Giver,
7) Man must not be unfaithful to his own because God is faithful to all,
8) Man must not think another’s goods is his and not God’s,
9) Man must not resent that others like himself are God’s people,
10) Man must not covet to be God or like others, like God.

The Ten Commandments is wholly about worshipping ONLY GOD.

The Ten Commandments were given so that “ every mouth should be closed”. In other words, swallow you Self -Righteousness and Pride and SHUT UP about your ability to keep them— you and your ilk ain’t fooling anybody—- especially God .Paul said that the Law was only “ Good” if you knew how to use it . It is to be Used to lead us to Christ .At that point,( if you ever reach it ) we exchange it for something much better—- God’s Holy Spirit.Some have not yet arrived to the Starting Point Of Christianity .They need to “ SHUT UP !”......If the shoe fits, Gerhard, WEAR IT !

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even with New Hearts and New Natures , NOBODY loves God with ALL of their heart, ALL of their minds and ALL of their Soul .....NOBODY loves their neighbor as much as they do themselves.....we MUST accept the Grace that God bestows on all Believers.....I’m like Paul— I don’t “ hold back” the Grace Of God.We are much bigger Sinners than we think we are.Even if you are a person who has been saved for 90 years and God has spent all that time “ Transforming you into the Image Of His Son....you are still gonna need a TON of Grace to get you Home. The closer one gets to God, the farther away he sees himself. There is a reason for that- even the greatest Prophets of the Old Testament, the best men that that the Jews could offer, had the same reaction to meeting God. That reaction was this—- “ WOE is me, I am unclean”. Now, because of Grace, and ONLY because of Grace, I can approach the very Throne of God Himself and make my request known to Him.....Remember, it’s ALL of Grace, freely and abundantly given.Why do people refuse it ?I revel in it and thank God for it.

We may have different definitions of the Grace of God. Grace is the Power of God, so when you feel weak, ask God for more power. When dealing with each other, give the other kind of grace to them - forgive them.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The objection to obedience is always the same: "Legalism! Legalism!"

Obedience as a means to salvation is legalism.

Obedience as a response to this verse:
If ye love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15)
is faith that works by love (Galatians 5:6).

The commandments of Jesus were also the commandments of the Father, for Jesus spake not of Himself (John 12:49; John 14:10). He endorsed the moral commands given to ancient Israel (see on Matthew 5:17–19) and magnified them (see on Isaiah 42:21). He gave commands of His own, such as the new commandment (John 13:34), not to replace any of the moral precepts, which reflected the character of the unchangeable God, but to set forth their true meaning and to show how their principles should be applied to various life situations.

In John 15:10, Jesus is talking about New Testament Commandments, and Old Testament Commandments. They are two different strengths of commandments. The Old Covenant Commandments were to get them by UNTIL the Lord Jesus could come to set in motion the true eternal commandment of God, that the Old could not measure up to. Galatians 3:19. Rather than the bottom line of murder, the New brings it up to hate. In the Old, you could hate, just not murder. That is why the law could not make anyone truly righteous.

When quoting anything by John when it comes to commandments, whether in his gospel, epistles, or Revelation, he tells us what those commandments are in 1 John 3:23. He is not talking about the Ten Commandments, but people like to see what they want to.

Last edited:

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In John 15:10, Jesus is talking about New Testament Commandments, and Old Testament Commandments. They are two different strengths of commandments. The Old Covenant Commandments were to get them by UNTIL the Lord Jesus could come to set in motion the true eternal commandment of God, that the Old could not measure up to. Galatians 3:19. Rather than the bottom line of murder, the New brings it up to hate. In the Old, you could hate, just not murder. That is why the law could not make anyone truly righteous.

When quoting anything by John when it comes to commandments, whether in his gospel, epistles, or Revelation, he tells us what those commandments are in 1 John 3:23. He is not talking about the Ten Commandments, but people like to see what they want to.

Agreed.....The Ascended Christ left us with only Two Commandments— #1 Believe #2 Love
Love is the Engine that drives Obedience .God knew That all along .That Love comes automatically when you learn how to REST in the Gospel Of Pure Grace. Plus Nothing.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Ten Commandments—What happened?
I suppose they just got ditched.....people found it more fun without them.....nothing like a bit of lust to get the adrenalin going!

It'll be somewhat of a shock when it's discovered what the rule of judgement is......but anyway, let's put our head in the sand and party....there's plenty of other scriptures to use that
don't point the finger......like New Covenant ideas and that solid understanding that God can change his mind anytime he likes!

Last edited:
Reactions: BarneyFife

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We may have different definitions of the Grace of God. Grace is the Power of God, so when you feel weak, ask God for more power. When dealing with each other, give the other kind of grace to them - forgive them.

Grace is “ unmerited favor “...... something God extends to Wretched Sinners That come to Him through Faith in the Shed Blood Of His Son.....
All of those Sins that some confused People think you have to remember and repent of before you die, lest you be cast into Hell ? Nope. Grace is what covers all of your sins. “Where sin abounds - Grace abounds more” .Fools can abuse this Grace and even THAT is covered,,,,, so are “ willfull sins” . These are great things to know because everybody out there has taken advantage of Grace at times and almost every sin we commit is a “ willfull” one. We need to “get over ourselves” and realize and Admit that we are much worse than we think we are and simply thank God for His Amazing Grace.......Grace is God’s Mercy in Action.....completely unearned by even the best of us....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Ten Commandments—What happened?
I suppose they just got ditched.....people found it more fun without them.
It'll be somewhat of a shock when it's discovered what the rule of judgement is......but anyway, let's put our head in the sand and party....there's plenty of other scriptures to use that
don't point the finger......like New Covenant ideas and that solid understanding that God can change his mind anytime he likes!

Here’s a real “ Shock” for you.....that “ Judgement” you refer to ? Jesus took the terrible judgement that I deserved upon Himself at the Cross and in turn , gave me His Perfection.....all because I Believed in the Gospel Found In 1Cor15:1-4.
God can change His mind—— He us sovereign in His Universe. But He will NEVER break a Promise....” it is IMPOSSIBLE for God to tell a lie” .To suggest otherwise is the most Blasphemes thing a person could say.....Faith is what saves.....Faith is taking God at His Word, Trusting Him to keep those Promises hexhas Given to us Wretched, Lost Sinners .Here’s one Promise that will Save you if you simply Believe it—- “ Anybody that asks to be Saved will be saved”
Your post reminds me of something somebody else said a long time ago—- “ Yea, hath God REALLY said...”
You best be careful about what you say about God and His Word.....He can “ change his mind”, But NOT when it comes to Salvation by Faith in the Shed Blood Of His Son.....

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here’s a real “ Shock” for you.....that “ Judgement” you refer to ? Jesus took the terrible judgement that I deserved upon Himself at the Cross and in turn , gave me His Perfection.....all because I Believed in the Gospel Found In 1Cor15:1-4.
God can change His mind—— He us sovereign in His Universe. But He will NEVER break a Promise....” it is IMPOSSIBLE for God to tell a lie” .To suggest otherwise is the most Blasphemes thing a person could say.....Faith is what saves.....Faith is taking God at His Word, Trusting Him to keep those Promises hexhas Given to us Wretched, Lost Sinners .Here’s one Promise that will Save you if you simply Believe it—- “ Anybody that asks to be Saved will be saved”
Your post reminds me of something somebody else said a long time ago—- “ Yea, hath God REALLY said...”
You best be careful about what you say about God and His Word.....He can “ change his mind”, But NOT when it comes to Salvation by Faith in the Shed Blood Of His Son.....
So what of the scripture that declares judgement begins with the house of God? And the scripture which says we must all stand before the judgement seat of Christ? And the following...
Eccl. 12:13 ¶ The end of the whole matter let us hear: — ‘Fear God, and keep His commands, for this is the whole of man.
14 For every work doth God bring into judgment, with every hidden thing, whether good or bad.’
After all, you did say...
He can “ change his mind”, But NOT when it comes to Salvation by Faith in the Shed Blood Of His Son.....
Now anting to argue with you, but just pointing out that matters such as you like to depict them aren't quite so cut and dried as you may like. There must be fruit that grows from your declaration of faith in the shed blood...fruit other than just your claim to the promise of life. You may have the license to enter life...but do you have the fitness?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Read my post as it was intended BB

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Now anting to argue with you, but just pointing out that matters such as you like to depict them aren't quite so cut and dried as you may like. There must be fruit that grows from your declaration of faith in the shed blood...fruit other than just your claim to the promise of life. You may have the license to enter life...but do you have the fitness?
SDA doctrine refined ten times in the cauldron of foaming filth!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
SDA doctrine refined ten times in the cauldron of foaming filth!
Sanctification GE. Is not our testimony such as that which gives glory to God for a changed life? From darkness to light? From sin to righteousness? From fruits of wickedness to fruits of love? Is that not the intent of the gospel? What person reveling in sin would enjoy heaven and even survive in the presence of God? We need to be changed in order to live surely? And why would those changes not be in harmony with the law? Why is it so terrible that God would work in us that we would not just endure residing in a place foreign to our natures, but actually be naturally joyful and happy there? Such a change fires not come by accident, not does it come as a result of some imagined miracle on the journey going past the moon. It happens now. It needs to happen now. Now is the time the bride is prepared for her Husband. Not tomorrow.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So what of the scripture that declares judgement begins with the house of God? And the scripture which says we must all stand before the judgement seat of Christ?

Yes, on the right hand of the Throne those who stand IN CHRIST OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS before it; and on the left, those who stand in their own righteousness before it.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Sanctification GE. Is not our testimony such as that which gives glory to God for a changed life? From darkness to light? From sin to righteousness? From fruits of wickedness to fruits of love? Is that not the intent of the gospel? What person reveling in sin would enjoy heaven and even survive in the presence of God? We need to be changed in order to live surely? And why would those changes not be in harmony with the law? Why is it so terrible that God would work in us that we would not just endure residing in a place foreign to our natures, but actually be naturally joyful and happy there? Such a change fires not come by accident, not does it come as a result of some imagined miracle on the journey going past the moon. It happens now. It needs to happen now. Now is the time the bride is prepared for her Husband. Not tomorrow.

Post #897.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Without the Ten Commandments, God doesn't leave us lawless. They were introduced because of sin. They were meant to show us our sin to bring us to the ONE who could solve the sin problem. Even though they had the 10C they still couldn't love their neighbor with all their heart. But with the eternal law that the 10C were fashioned after, but just on a surface level, written on our heart we can then keep the Commandments of Jesus 1 John 3:23 to believe on Him, and love our neighbors. The Sabbath pointed to the Creator, and nothing was made that Jesus did not make. We now have Jesus, and put our faith and rest in Him. The Sabbath-day has been fulfilled.

Yes. Yes to everything you say here. Now is it not strange - or to be expected - the opposite conclusions you and I for example arrive at? But we shall reason back and forth into eternity and get nowhere, UNLESS SCRIPTURE BE THE 'FINAL AUTHORITY' - Scripture and only Scripture.

So take for example your story, <<The Sabbath-day has been fulfilled>>, which I say Amen to.

What makes the difference? Because you conclude from <<The Sabbath-day has been fulfilled>> that it is gone - abolished - is no longer valid, while I conclude the exact opposite, That God having “nailed it to the crossIN CHRIST JESUS, in truth and historic fact abolished and rendered the Sabbath Day invalid. But having RAISED CHRIST FROM THE DEAD, He in truth and historic fact brought it up again from abolishment, obsoleteness, invalidity and non-entity and the DEATH of the Sabbath Day, and RAISED it from the grave of oblivion, and brought it back up again as HE WORKED IN CHRIST TO LIFE and gave it “validity forevermore for the people of God"—for CHRISTIANS, because “JESUS gave them Himself their Eternal Rest”!

The Sabbath “THEREFORE” [‘ara’], no longer is just a <type which pointed forward to Christ>, but is also become the "AT PRESENT .. Sabbath's-Feast-of-Christ .. forever LASTING for the PEOPLE OF GOD!HaleluYah!

Where, now, will you place God's <fulfilment of the Sabbath>? At being nailed to the cross, or in being raised from nothing into The Lord's Day of Triumphant Rest?

Last edited: