The Three that Bear Witness 1 John 5:7-9

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Warning against Apostasy
Someone said that the King James Bible was very poor English

It is the worst translation available in English for 2 reasons: the FROM is more flawed than any other; the TO is from half a millennia ago and no one speaks that Kings English anymore. Certainly not in 21st century America.

It is the most important and influential book ever written in the English language but its time in the sun has past.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

OneIsTheWord

Sep 10, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the worst translation available in English for 2 reasons: the FROM is more flawed than any other; the TO is from half a millennia ago and no one speaks that Kings English anymore. Certainly not in 21st century America.

It is the most important and influential book ever written in the English language but its time in the sun has past.

it is said beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

Did I tell you the story about the Wolves and the Dogs

Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves.
Luke 10:3

If the righteous will be recompensed on the earth, How much more the ungodly and the sinner.
Proverbs 11:31

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.
Matthew 7:15

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. Matthew 10:16

But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them.
John 10:12-13

The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep.
John 10: 14

Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.
Acts 20:28

For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.
Acts 20:29

Also from among you men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.
Acts 20:30

Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn every one night and day with tears.
Acts 20:31

Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, and beware of the mutilation!
Philippians 3:2

For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh,
Philippians 3:3

though I also might have confidence in the flesh. If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so:
Philippians 3:4

For dogs have surrounded Me; The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me. They pierced My hands and My feet;
Psalm 22:16

I can count all my bones. My enemies stare at me and gloat.
Psalm 22:17

But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.
Revelation 22:15

"I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star."
Revelation 22:16

then there is another story called The Judas Goat, this story I got as you say from this poor bible Matthew 7: 3

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but just a hint that will make responses easier...please quote who it is that you are responding to, since there are many readers and responders, it helps to know who you are addressing....

The whole purpose of translation is to interpret what one language says in another. So it isn't just the words but the meanings they convey, that is important. The KJV is a poor translation compared with those that use more modern English, since language usage has changed a lot since then and language studies are more up to date. Old English just is not understood these days, except by those who tend to treat it as though it was from God's own hand...it wasn't. The KJV has undergone revisions but it's still a hard read for those who can't comprehend archaic English. It also contains clear trinitarian bias which means it adds words to imply things that are not in the original texts.

I use the (NKJV) to help study Thomas Nelson
Hebrews 5:10-12 (NKJV)
called by God as High Priest "according to the order of Melchizedek,"
of whom we have much to say, and hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.
For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food.

This is easier than the old KJV to understand though isn't it? A slight improvement.
Do you know how Jesus is a "High Priest according to the manner of Melchizedek"?

But when those who use the KJV as the base for their own translations, carry over the same errors, it becomes obvious.
John 1:18 is a classic example of trinitarian bias where added words convey something different to what the original Greek says......

"No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." (KJV)

"No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him." (NKJV)

Now read this verse in the link below (out of 63 different translations) and observe how it is translated in numerous Bibles and you will see same glaring error in all of them.
https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/John 1:18

This is how it reads in Greek but even the Mounce Interlinear follows the error.....
"No one oudeis has horaō ever pōpote seen horaō God theos. The only monogenēs Son , himself God theos, the ho one who is eimi in eis the ho bosom kolpos of the ho Father patēr, he ekeinos has made him known exēgeomai."

To be translated correctly, "monogenes theos" literally means "only begotten god". The word "son" is not in the Greek text at all. If it was, it would read "only monogenēs Son hyios" the same as it is written in John 3:16. "The only Son himself God" is added to that verse to imply a trinity.
But it also says that "no one has ever seen God"...how many saw Jesus?

The 1995 edition of the NASB had it right, but changed it in the next revision.
"No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him."

"Monogenes" means an only child of any gender. "Theos" is "god" and means any god or goddess or divine mighty one. "Theos" is not just used for the one God of Israel.....even satan is called "theos" in Greek. (2 Cor. 4:3-4)
Jesus is also called "theos" but it doesn't mean that he is God (ho theos)....it simply indicates his divinity...that he is 'from' God because as John 1:1 says he was "with" his God "in the beginning". He is God's "firstborn". (Colossians 1:15)
On his return to heaven, Jesus still refers to his Father as "my God".....(Revelation 3:12)

So when it says "monogenes theos" it literally means "only begotten god"....but no translation got it right except the 1995 edition of the NASB because of how inconvenient it was to explain an "only begotten god".

If in John 1:18 "theos" can be translated "Son" then verse 1 should also be translated the same way...
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was the Son".

OneIsTheWord

Sep 10, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard it said that "Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder"......any connection? :p

what this phrase means is how one sees the scripture
Isaiah 44:18 (NKJV)
They do not know nor understand; For He has shut their eyes, so that they cannot see, And their hearts, so that they cannot understand.
Matthew 13:15 (NKJV) For the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, And their eyes they have closed, Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them.'