The trouble with religion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could be, I don't now.
I don't have TV.

But as far as I am concerned a "personal relationship with Christ" is not a new teaching.
Seems to me it's a 2000 year old teaching.
That's why I don't classify Christianity as a "religion", but a relationship.
There's lots of religion out there. But it's not the stuff that Christianity is based on.
Whether YOU like the word "Religion" or hate it is irrelevant.
Christianity IS a religion. It's just not a FALSE religion.

The word "relationship" isn't even in the NT.
"Religion" is (James 1:27) . . .

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not religion as the world sees it, it is an abomination, none of mens "religions" "churches" denominations are from God, not a single one.
Who are you to judge another mans work? All work shall be tried in the fire to see if it be sustained, or burn up like chaff.

Stop condemning what others do and start preaching the Word of God. Let the Holy Spirit do the convincing.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Who are you to judge another mans work? All work shall be tried in the fire to see if it be sustained, or burn up like chaff.

Stop condemning what others do and start preaching the Word of God. Let the Holy Spirit do the convincing.
I have you are just not listening. That what a man joins himself to.. It is you who is trying do condemn the world to death by the law, it never saved the Jews, and it is you like so many who are unwilling to walk away from His religion, this bit

Mat 15:7 You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said:
Mat 15:8 “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;
Mat 15:9 in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

which is all mens religions do. If you want to keep the sabbath and put yourself under the law, that is your God given right but you have no right to lay that burden upon others.

Gal 6:13 For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh.

and again

Rom 2:23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?

and again

Act 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.
Act 15:6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
Act 15:7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
Act 15:8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
Act 15:9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
Act 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
Act 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

It is your burden you must carry, no one can help you with it.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whether YOU like the word "Religion" or hate it is irrelevant.
Christianity IS a religion. It's just not a FALSE religion.

Well, I guess that's your opinion.
And your opinion is just as irrelevant, but I guess that's just my opinion. Lol.
Anyhow, bless God you. And I don't hate the word religion.

It's not really worth the big fat lettering, btw. ;-)

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have you are just not listening. That what a man joins himself to.. It is you who is trying do condemn the world to death by the law, .
You speak as one of the foolish ones. Did you never read JESUS" OWN WORDS where He said blessed are they that do and teach the commandments? I want that blessing! (and you obviously don't).

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You speak as one of the foolish ones. Did you never read JESUS" OWN WORDS where He said blessed are they that do and teach the commandments? I want that blessing! (and you obviously don't).
Yes this one

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

not this one

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

and again

Act_15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

and again

Joh_1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

so you see it is not Christs commandments you are trying to keep, is it. Now we see what happens when men get caught up in religion and wont leave it for Christ.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes this one

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
If you love God, you'll keep the first four. If you love your neighbor, you'll keep the last six.

You don't love God.
You don't love your neighbor.

That is why you despise His Ten Commandments.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I guess that's your opinion.
And your opinion is just as irrelevant, but I guess that's just my opinion. Lol.
Anyhow, bless God you. And I don't hate the word religion.

It's not really worth the big fat lettering, btw. ;-).
Actually, it's not my opinion - it's a fact.
Christianity IS a religion - AND a relationship, so we're BOTH right.

Reactions: historyb

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure I can agree with the above statement.
It's not unbiblical for believers to come together and have fellowship/ worship ect.
I have heard many good testimonies about people going into communities as groups, and many do wonderful things for those communities. Many are full of true believers, and many are open to Gods leading. It's when man made rules become way more important than hearing from God , when men let the power/ authority go to their heads, when there is little openness to change within the leading from God that divisions come about. Religion, to me, is about all the man made rules and regulations that have been introduced over the years, like with the Pharisees - it brought about a slavery.
I still hold to the truth that ' the Church ' is Gods people , and not a building or denomination ect, but I believe that God can work within the physical building where people come together.

The disciples met together in a physical place, so did the people of Corinth, Philippians, ect but I am not convinced it was a ' church building ' with all its bells and smells ! ( an expression an elderly lady once had to describe the Church of England, if it was a high church )
Rita
Yes, we can come together with others in His Name anywhere God chooses, including in a building named "church". While there because someone is in His Name, we may also learn some good things. Many [but perhaps not all] have been and will be called out of such places to work in the field God has designated for them to work.

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Matt 18:20

The important in coming together with others and God is NOT the physical place, but the being In His Name!..

Reactions: Triumph1300

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Very true, or like many of us we become so fed up with feeling like a round peg in a square hole that we simply have to move on. For years I thought there was something wrong with me because I simply didn't agree with everything.
I know I will always be judged as being ' in the wrong ' ' rebellious ' by those who simply do not see it !!
Rita
We all should search the Scriptures daily. (Like the noble Jews of Berea, in Acts.)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We all should search the Scriptures daily. (Like the noble Jews of Berea, in Acts.)
I would rather do what Christ did so often , have a conversation with God to see what he desires, than leave the rest with Him.

Reactions: amadeus

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you love God, you'll keep the first four. If you love your neighbor, you'll keep the last six.

You don't love God.
You don't love your neighbor.

That is why you despise His Ten Commandments.
No one despises the ten commandments, it is you who is having the problems with the law, it is made for sinners, and since you insist on the law, clearly you put yourself into that category, and this is where you are at

Rom 9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
Rom 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
Rom 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

And we can love our neighbors without the law because Jesus said,

it is enough for God and Christ, just not enough for disobedient unbelieving men.

this bit

Attachments

• LAw sin.jpg
    LAw sin.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one despises the ten commandments
By your own words you demonstrate that you hate the Ten Commandments. You despise the idea of denying yourself sinful pleasure. You find God's Ten Commandments confining, constricting, grievous...

"...but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." - Proverbs 29:18

Reactions: bbyrd009

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
By your own words you demonstrate that you hate the Ten Commandments. You despise the idea of denying yourself sinful pleasure. You find God's Ten Commandments confining, constricting, grievous...

"...but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." - Proverbs 29:18
I have no problem with them they are for sinners, havnt you read..

1Ti_1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

what part of Love do you not understand??

Does Love need the law to love?
Does Grace need the law to be Grace?
Does the righteousness of Christ need the law to stop men sinning, is the righteousness of Christ sin...

You know Love

1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

why do you think Christ Said

Joh_13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

You and BOL are the very reason for this topic, men who love their religions and doctrines , who refuse to leave them for Christ, why do you think He said.

Mar_7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

and

Mar_7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

But mens religions have turned men from God and now the end has come many willbe found wanting.

Mat_23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problem with them they are for sinners, havnt you read..
Of course you don't have a problem with imposing them on others as long as you don't have to keep them. Who cares if others are forbidden the pleasures of sin as long as you are free to indulge immoral sexual deviant behavior, greed, pride, all of those things which delight the carnal, unconverted mind that has never made a full surrender to Christ, right?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Of course you don't have a problem with imposing them on others as long as you don't have to keep them. Who cares if others are forbidden the pleasures of sin as long as you are free to indulge immoral sexual deviant behavior, greed, pride, all of those things which delight the carnal, unconverted mind that has never made a full surrender to Christ, right?
After he declares that he is not a sinner and does not need to pick up his cross, really what more is there to say?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After he declares that he is not a sinner and does not need to pick up his cross, really what more is there to say?
Nothing. That's why he does it. It's far easier to do that and just ignore all those texts which are so bothersome to that way of thinking, instead of allowing the Holy Spirit to lead us to the truth that we're saved by grace but judged by works because works are the evidence that we've been saved by grace.