THREE BAPTISM

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 3:11 KJV - I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

In this passage it can be seen baptism is more than just a water baptism.

John baptized with water, but Jesus was said to baptize without water.

Jesus is talking to Israel in this passage, not unto the church, the body of Christ.

Jesus said he would baptize believing Israel with the Holy Ghost; this can be seen below:

John 20:22-23 KJV - And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Jesus himself imparts the Holy Ghost to the believing disciples, and empowers them to remit sin. Notice that this power was given not to the church, the body of Christ, but only to the remnant of Israel disciples.

Acts 1:5 KJV - For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Jesus said the twelve apostles would be baptized with the Holy Ghost (Acts 1:2).

Acts 1:8 KJV - But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Jesus was sending the apostles out to preach the gospel of the kingdom.

Acts 2:4 KJV - And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

I see only the twelve apostles as being filled with the Holy Ghost and speaking in tongues.

The baptism of fire is that of judgment:

Isaiah 4:4 KJV - When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning.

Zechariah 13:9 KJV - And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.

1 Peter 1:7 KJV - That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

These verses are for Israel, not the church of God, the body of Christ.

The church today has one Spirit baptism:

1 Corinthians 12:13 KJV - For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Reactions: mjrhealth

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Being 'immersed' in the Holy Spirit is what gives us power and authority as well as all the other gifts the scriptures promise.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As with the Trinity, the baptism of God is three-in-one.

Eph 4:4, There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Eph 4:5, One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Most definitely, the baptism of the Holy Ghost is promised to those who are baptized in water, in Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39.

These are one and the same baptism but they are distinct from each other also.

However, you very likely cannot have one without the other.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:4 KJV - And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

I see only the twelve apostles as being filled with the Holy Ghost and speaking in tongues.
But you still have hope if your through a glass darkly vision moves on toward a "face to face" vision so you can see that others also would and do speak in other tongues:

"While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God..." Acts 10:44-46

And what was happening to those gentiles then can and does happen also to Gentiles today...I may give my personal testimony in support of that. I began speaking in another tongue as God gave me the utterance in 1976. For many years now I have spoke daily in tongues as a part of my daily prayer life with God.

Give God the glory!

Reactions: 101G and mjrhealth

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The baptism of fire is that of judgment:
Another good topic Doug
the baptism with fire is the word of God, the Gospel, the truth. fire is a purifier. 1 Corinthians 3:11 "For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ."1 Corinthians 3:12 "Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;"1 Corinthians 3:13 "Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is."1 Corinthians 3:14 "If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward."1 Corinthians 3:15 "If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire."

now that Fire is the Word of God, Jeremiah 23:29 "Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?"
PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Reactions: justbyfaith