Three Days in Hell

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remembering…

Thus saith the Lord, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word. - Isaiah 66:1-2

Folly is set in great dignity, and the rich sit in low place. - Ecclesiastes 10:6

In which, arrogance can occur within any Christian movement. But…. Ego is not the Unction!

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider the following two clues.

Luke 23:46
And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit.” Having said this, He breathed His last.

John 20:17
Jesus *said to her, “Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’”

Jesus entrusted his spirit to God, believing that the Father would protect his essence even in death. In addition, he informed Mary that he had not yet ascended to the Father, indicating that he did not go to heaven immediately after his death.

If Jesus could travel as a disembodied spirit, he would not need to entrust his spirit to the Father. Nevertheless, he did entrust his spirit to the Father, showing that he didn't travel as a disembodied spirit.
When did he preach to the spirits in prison? And the thief on the cross says remember me when you come into your kingdom and Jesus says “We’re going to be in the garden today “ Doesn’t seem likely

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as I can tell, I don't see Biblical evidence that he did.

1 Peter 4:6 KJV
For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did he preach to the spirits in prison? And the thief on the cross says remember me when you come into your kingdom and Jesus says “We’re going to be in the garden today “ Doesn’t seem likely
Jesus didn't preach to the saints in prison.

Regardless of how we define "paradise," understanding it correctly will clarify the thief's request. The reason for Jesus' Ascension, as documented in the gospels and Paul's letters, is to intercede for and seek forgiveness for the sins of the saints, and to reconcile them with God. Jesus will not establish his kingdom until his Second Coming. Therefore, the thief's plea from the cross is to be with Jesus at this Second Coming.

As Paul points out, all the saints will rise together on the Day when the trumpet is blown and the command is given.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw Shambach one time about 30 years ago. Before he preached he said “ I need 100 people to pledge to give $100” and people stood up and pledged. To the left of the stage there were people lined up in wheelchairs.
After he preached he opened it up for people to come for prayer and healing. He never got to the people in wheelchairs. I haven’t cared for him since.
I am sure if there were the debunkers around today who haver exposed Benny HInn, TD Jakes, and other supposed faith healers, they would have shown the faker Scamback really is.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Regardless of how we define "paradise," understanding it correctly will clarify the thief's request. The reason for Jesus' Ascension, as documented in the gospels and Paul's letters, is to intercede for and seek forgiveness for the sins of the saints, and to reconcile them with God. Jesus will not establish his kingdom until his Second Coming. Therefore, the thief's plea from the cross is to be with Jesus at this Second Coming.

As Paul points out, all the saints will rise together on the Day when the trumpet is blown and the command is given.
Jesus told that thief that on that day, he would be with Himself in Paradise. Paradise was simply another name for Abrahams Bosom, which is where the righteous souls (the OT saved) went upon death. they could not enter heaven, for Jesus had not poured His blood on the mercy seat in heaven. As Paul wrote, when Jesus ascended back to heaven, He led those saints to heaven with Him.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus told that thief that on that day, he would be with Himself in Paradise. Paradise was simply another name for Abrahams Bosom, which is where the righteous souls (the OT saved) went upon death. they could not enter heaven, for Jesus had not poured His blood on the mercy seat in heaven. As Paul wrote, when Jesus ascended back to heaven, He led those saints to heaven with Him.
While that might be one meaning of the word, it isn't the only meaning. Consider the context.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While that might be one meaning of the word, it isn't the only meaning. Consider the context.
I did consider the context in light of the counsel fo teh rest of SCripture. No one passage can stand alone.

Paradise was where all the righteous souls in the OT wenbt.

Remember in the garden when Mary went to touch Jesus? He told her to not touch HIm for He had not yet ascended to His Father (which would mean He went to heaven), That was after He died and rose and on th ethird day after He told the thief He would be with Him in paradise on that very Friday!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did consider the context in light of the counsel fo teh rest of SCripture. No one passage can stand alone.

Paradise was where all the righteous souls in the OT wenbt.

Remember in the garden when Mary went to touch Jesus? He told her to not touch HIm for He had not yet ascended to His Father (which would mean He went to heaven), That was after He died and rose and on th ethird day after He told the thief He would be with Him in paradise on that very Friday!
Quite the opposite. The fact that Jesus hadn't ascended means that he hadn't yet gone to heaven. And for this reason, Jesus' use of the term "paradise" doesn't refer to heaven.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you say he went straight to hell?
Everyone went to hell.

Elijah, Enoch, Abraham, Jacob, Isacc.

Sin separated them: Therefore hell was a holding place - or covering place for the dead that had two sides. Jesus died taking on sin. He was separated from God until his resurrected and ascended, to sit on the right hand of God until everything was put under his feet.

If you disagree that is fine. I'll agree to disagree, Cady or Zoe. :)

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sure if there were the debunkers around today who haver exposed Benny HInn, TD Jakes, and other supposed faith healers, they would have shown the faker Scamback really is.
Thems simeons . They preach for money , power and control believing themselves to be the great power of GOD .
My advice , HEED NOT A ONE of them . Peter would have told them YOUR MONEY PERISH With you
cause you thought the gift of healing could be purchased with money .

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. - John 19:30

I picture the ghost descending in solitude to some place within the earths crust. Having faith that he would be raised from the dead he remained through Saturday in a comatose state.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something else I have never seen TD Jakes do

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1Pe 3:19 - By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone went to hell.

Elijah, Enoch, Abraham, Jacob, Isacc.

Sin separated them: Therefore hell was a holding place - or covering place for the dead that had two sides. Jesus died taking on sin. He was separated from God until his resurrected and ascended, to sit on the right hand of God until everything was put under his feet.

If you disagree that is fine. I'll agree to disagree, Cady or Zoe. :)
You might try scriptural proof. That might work.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Pe 3:19 - By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
I was waiting for someone to quote this verse. Thanks. :)

Take a look at the context below.

1 Peter 3:18-20
For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.

The translated text appears to contain a non sequitur, as the statement in red does not logically follow the blue text. Verse 18 highlights the value of suffering for what is right, just as Jesus did. After that, Peter reminds his readers that God was patient while waiting for Noah to build the ark. During that time, he says, "He went and made proclamation to the spirits in prison . . ." The phrase "in which" is misleading. The phrase "by whom" is a better translation.

Based on my understanding, Peter concluded his point in verse 18 and then moved on to a new point in verse 19 that is still connected to the previous one. He mentions that besides Christ being resurrected by the Spirit, Noah also preached to his peers through the Spirit. Additionally, the Spirit was responsible for safely bringing eight individuals through the water.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was waiting for someone to quote this verse. Thanks. :)

Take a look at the context below.

1 Peter 3:18-20
For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.

The translated text appears to contain a non sequitur, as the statement in red does not logically follow the blue text. Verse 18 highlights the value of suffering for what is right, just as Jesus did. After that, Peter reminds his readers that God was patient while waiting for Noah to build the ark. During that time, he says, "He went and made proclamation to the spirits in prison . . ." The phrase "in which" is misleading. The phrase "by whom" is a better translation.

Based on my understanding, Peter concluded his point in verse 18 and then moved on to a new point in verse 19 that is still connected to the previous one. He mentions that besides Christ being resurrected by the Spirit, Noah also preached to his peers through the Spirit. Additionally, the Spirit was responsible for safely bringing eight individuals through the water.
Okay you said a lot but didn’t refute the verse