Tithing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im not opposed to people if they are lead by the spirit to give to someone some money, to help them out.

What I am opposed to is demands or religious dogmatic practices that try to force it on anyone.

I personally do not go to church, hardly ever. I’m not against meeting and fellowship with others.

I agree.

I don't go to church because my ex-wife doesn't like the church that I go to, because it's not a Baptist type church and is liturgical. So, because I get my kids on the weekends, and she gets the final say on religious upbringing, I cannot go to church currently.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Scripture is clear that we are to "give" (food, animals, land etc) to help the poor/needy etc. So how does one accomplish "giving" to help the poor/needy? It doesn't say anything about giving of our time.....just $tuff....

Respectfully Mary
I've never forgotten when I was maybe 4 or 5 years old. My dad had left us a few years before. The back yard was so overgrown, it was only eclipsed by the piles of junk in the garage. It was all such a horrid mess!

A group of guys from a local church came over and spent the day. They took care of everything.

The reason I'll never forget this . . . one of the fellows was stung on his back by a bumble bee, there was a hive in the garage. The bees were the size of my thumb. He was stung in the middle of his back, and I remember, in no time he had a welt that covered his entire back! I can't image what that felt like!

He just kept working, until they were done. That's what impresses me!

Much love!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary, I’ll put it you like this. I was never given the commandment to tithe. The Children of Israel were. So I’m free of obligation to give anything to anyone. Now that being said of course walking the in spirit and you are lead to take a person to get food there nothing wrong with that.

How ever if a person does it for later use oh I done this and I done that for this person doesn’t make them right with God.

Only Jesus Christ makes us right with God.

Not giving money to a church some where.

Thank you for your question.
You are absolutely right Matthew. The term tithe (10%) is not found in the New Testament but it is far from silent on the topic of money. Jesus talks about it at great length as does the Apostle Paul. So for you to say that you are "free of obligation to give anything to anyone" is not biblical:

He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.” Now concerning the collection. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put aside and save whatever extra you earn,....

Jesus said,
MatthewG, if you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” Sooooo, you are right Matthew. You are not obligated to give anything to anyone....that is if you don't want to be perfect in His eyes. :rolleyes:

bible study Mary

Reactions: Mayflower

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are absolutely right Matthew. The term tithe (10%) is not found in the New Testament but it is far from silent on the topic of money. Jesus talks about it at great length as does the Apostle Paul. So for you to say that you are "free of obligation to give anything to anyone" is not biblical:

He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.” Now concerning the collection. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put aside and save whatever extra you earn,....

Jesus said,
MatthewG, if you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” Sooooo, you are right Matthew. You are not obligated to give anything to anyone....that is if you don't want to be perfect in His eyes. :rolleyes:

bible study Mary
Are you trying to make free will giving into obligation? No matter what color you paint something, it is what it is.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Marymog,

That is okay. You are made right in Gods eyes by faith in the death, burial, and resurrection of Lord Jesus Christ. Giving to the needy doesn’t always have to be materialistic, it can be simply encouraging people spiritually as well, and sharing love with them in the biblical sense. I understand what you are saying though, and do appreciate your comment. May Gods hand be with you.

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love,

I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy,

and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith,

so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all

my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,

but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Love suffers long and is kind;

love does not envy;

love does not parade itself,

is not puffed up;

does not behave rudely,

does not seek its own,

is not provoked, thinks no evil;

does not rejoice in iniquity,

but rejoices in the truth;

bears all things,

believes all things,

hopes all things,

endures all things.

Love never fails.

And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”
‭‭I Corinthians‬ ‭13:1-13‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Also Mary I’m reminded of James 2 about faith without works is dead.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've never forgotten when I was maybe 4 or 5 years old. My dad had left us a few years before. The back yard was so overgrown, it was only eclipsed by the piles of junk in the garage. It was all such a horrid mess!

A group of guys from a local church came over and spent the day. They took care of everything.

The reason I'll never forget this . . . one of the fellows was stung on his back by a bumble bee, there was a hive in the garage. The bees were the size of my thumb. He was stung in the middle of his back, and I remember, in no time he had a welt that covered his entire back! I can't image what that felt like!

He just kept working, until they were done. That's what impresses me!

Much love!

Hello Marks that sounds like love to me, hate that guy got a big welt though, but they were willing to take time out of their day to simply help their neighbors out. I’m guilty of not doing this as much as I probably should, but God can help me and work with others too in this part of their life.

Thank God for Gods grace, you know it?

Reactions: Mayflower and marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree.

I don't go to church because my ex-wife doesn't like the church that I go to, because it's not a Baptist type church and is liturgical. So, because I get my kids on the weekends, and she gets the final say on religious upbringing, I cannot go to church currently.

Naomanos,

Thank you for sharing that with me. You know I’ve been taught a lesson from yesterday’s online ministry, and that speaker said that maybe in the next 20 or 30 years people may start simply doing home churches. You know I do not see nothing wrong with if anyone was willingly to come listen to a Bible study for an hour by going through the Gospel or any book of the Bible going through chapter 1 to the end of the book going verse by verse.

I believe it is helpful and edifying and if you got time to make the lessons go for it. Not everyone has that kind of time though it takes dedication, but do you ever watch them online or anything like that?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Marks that sounds like love to me, hate that guy got a big welt though, but they were willing to take time out of their day to simply help their neighbors out. I’m guilty of not doing this as much as I probably should, but God can help me and work with others too in this part of their life.

Thank God for Gods grace, you know it?
I've always remembered that man for that welt, and remain inspired by that to this day. I think God will have something special for him!

Much love!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is such an interesting thread.

We are free to give, in my opinion, much more generously than a tenth of our income as the Lord leads just like the Church of the book of Acts did.

But I think a tenth is a good place to start. I think tithing should be a heart matter between us and the Lord.

We are to give cheerfully and not under compulsion. Undue pressure from churches are wrong imo.

Reactions: Mayflower and marks

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everyone has that kind of time though it takes dedication, but do you ever watch them online or anything like that?

No, I don't have the time. I will watch my Episcopal church's online sermons from time to time. I mostly just follow along with the Book of Common prayer lectionary for readings on Sunday and the daily cycle as well. I also will read a reading plan for the liturgical seasons of lent, advent, etc.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've always remembered that man for that welt, and remain inspired by that to this day. I think God will have something special for him!

Much love!
Thank you again for sharing, Marks.

This is such an interesting thread.

We are free to give, in my opinion, much more generously than a tenth of our income as the Lord leads just like the Church of the book of Acts did.

But I think a tenth is a good place to start. I think tithing should be a heart matter between us and the Lord.

We are to give cheerfully and not under compulsion. Undue pressure from churches are wrong imo.

Thank you, Wynona, for your insights and comments. You mentioning giving, and thinking on giving alone, I am reminded of this verses. Giving should be a heart matter between the person and God you are right.

God showing his love by giving his Son, and God gives us the Holy Spirit which allows us to have Gods love to give to others.

“Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:1-8‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

No, I don't have the time. I will watch my Episcopal church's online sermons from time to time. I mostly just follow along with the Book of Common prayer lectionary for readings on Sunday and the daily cycle as well. I also will read a reading plan for the liturgical seasons of lent, advent, etc.

Thank you for taking time to share. What is the book of Common Prayer? I don’t know any of the liturgical books? What is that?

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a big hint I may expand on this further later depending on time. Yahweh does not change Mal 3:6 and Yeshua is the same yesterday, today and forever. Heb 13:8. With that being said that means God's word is the same. You want to understand tithing go back to the beginning and learn what tithing was from then. It is far different from the current doctrines of men on the subject. There are 3 Biblical tithes and more than 10%. In fact one tithe we are commanded to spend on ourselves for celebrating the Feast of Tabernacles. Who would have thought?
Please do not reply to me that, that was for the Jews. Lev 23 clearly says they are the Feasts of Yahweh. Also Yahweh's word declares that there is one Torah which means the teachings and instructions of Yahweh for the native born and the stranger/sojourner which also reveals that it wasn't just Israel that were keeping the feasts. Remember the mixed multitude that came out with them well they also kept the feast.

Blessings and Shalom

Anytime someone quotes the Malachi 3 passage, they are already in error.
It’s the wrong covenant and wrong tithe.

The Malachi 3 tithe was not money. It was a tithe of livestock, grain, vegetables, and fruit - not money - and it was to feed the Levitical priests. The food was taken to a barn, aka storehouse.

There’s no set amount whatsoever that’s required in the new covenant, however.

When there.was a required tithe, it was obligatory, and a necessity to pay 10%- it was not not optional.

In the new covenant we are told to give as WE purpose in our heart, and NOT out of an obligatory set amount:

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

The old covenant law came with a curse from robbing God for those who didn’t give 10%:

Mal 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Mal 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

But Jesus redeemed us from the curse of the law:

Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

God doesn’t change His character or nature, but His covenant changed. We are in a new covenant founded on better promises, and though giving is encouraged in the New Testament with the promises of an increase for those who give, it does not demand a set percentage.

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is nice reading everyone's thoughts and scriptures on this. I really am not able to be on much these days, but I enjoy reading and thinking about things when I am. What brought this to mind recently, is my pastor had talked on tithing last couple Sundays at my church, so I was curious others thoughts on it.

It is something I've always done, a lot more now then in the past. I always thought a tithe as a good standard of giving. When we go out to eat people tip like 15% their bill. If you go to church regularly, how much more should we support the church. As far as a commandment, if Jesus said I should tithe, part of the law or not, it is a commandment to me. I do it because I love God and want to support my church. And I really do believe you can't outgive God. You get back whatever you give in this life and the next.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are our messages from the last two Sundays on Tithing. :)

Old Testament you had to. New Testament you get too!!! And whether anyone believes in tithing still for today or not, giving is definitely something we all should be doing out of love, especially in this season!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree.

That is not right. You should fight that.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you trying to make free will giving into obligation? No matter what color you paint something, it is what it is.

Much love!

Salvation is free will too.

There are consequences or loss of blessings when you choose not to give. But giving out of compulsion is definitely not a good way to give.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot. She is the custodial parent and she gets to decide on their religious upbringing.

But since it is in violation of your rights of religion, you can probably have visitation on a different day maybe. She shouldn't be able to keep you from church. It is wrong with the kids, but that is a violation of your rights.