Tithing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And this is what I was surprised about too. I learned that really the proper way is to tithe from Gross, because this is earned income before all the taxes and witholdings are taken out.

In the UK, if you pay taxes, the Government will add 20% to your charitable giving (20% being the basic income tax rate). So when I tithe net, I'm also effectively giving the church money out of what I've paid in income tax, and I don't need to worry about the gross figure.

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This can get very technical. In the Old Testament, it was a Theocracy so tithing was much like paying your taxes today. Your Government and religious leadership were one and same. Giving to the Church and charity should be willfully and not an ordinance.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are blessed to be a blessing to others.

This I absolutely agree with, and it is incontrovertible in light of several scriptures. It's why I don't generally dissuade anyone from tithing if they decide to. Churches have to pay the bills, and can't be a blessing to others if no one is making that possible through giving. The actual New Testament teaching is giving and receiving (which was consensual) as opposed to tithing (which was obligatory), but as regards church the purpose was pretty much the same: To sustain the work of God.

Reactions: Mayflower

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @devin553344

I do not go to church, so I do not tithe. However giving time to others is a tithe itself. So spending time with God or others is a free gift that is priceless. Though if people give freely money to a place (there also should be a notification given to possibly get some tax reductions for doing so), I believe it should be done from the heart if the spirit leads a person to do so. I believe those who do not have very much money they shouldn’t worry about giving anything and take care of their own matters that need addressed first.

I have heard someone say at a church before “Don’t forget to send in your money for this church building you wanted!” When I heard this it simply infuriated me.
Hmmmmm......Here is what I found about tithing.

Malachi 3:10-12; bring the full amount of your tithes to the temple.....
Abraham, our father in faith, paid tithe to Melchizedek the king of Salem and a priest of the highest God; As Abraham was coming back from the battle in which he defeated the four kings, Melchizedek met him and blessed him, and Abraham gave him a tenth of all he had taken.

For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin,

Don’t you realize that God told those working in his temple to take for their own needs some of the food brought there as gifts to him? And those who work at the altar of God get a share of the food that is brought by those offering it to the Lord. In the same way the Lord has given orders that those who preach the Gospel should be supported by those who accept it.”

Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings.”

I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

Sooooo where does the bible say that "giving time to others is a tithe itself"? I can't find it in Scripture.....

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't belong to a Church so I have no need to Tithe, but when I did attend Mass, I always gave to the Church.
Hey JP,

Where does Scripture say that tithe's are only to be given to a Church?

Curious mary

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I go to church, (hasn't been for a while due to things out of my control) I give what I can if I can. If I cannot, I will not.

We're also told to provide for our families. If giving an offering will take food off the table or make it so I cannot pay the electricity, I will not give an offering.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey JP,

Where does Scripture say that tithe's are only to be given to a Church?

Curious mary
Where does Scripture say tithes are to be given to a church? Tithes are for Levites, and to bring to the temple. No?

Scripture tells us giving is to be non-compulsary. Doesn't that end the requirement of the tithe?

Much love!

Reactions: Waiting on him

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Marymog giving time is a reflect of love to me. Though tithing always pertained to Israel it always pertained to giving food, animals, and land. Jesus did speak about the Pharisees and the money they gave to the temple. However the thing is, it’s not biblical to suggest everyone needs to give money especially those who are poor.

I heard a testimony of a person giving up to 500,000$ to the temple, and they themselves struggled to pay bills. The church itself ended up buying a 300,000$ vase.

Im totally against that type of mandate and thinking.

Reactions: marks

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does Scripture say tithes are to be given to a church? Tithes are for Levites, and to bring to the temple. No?

Scripture tells us giving is to be non-compulsary. Doesn't that end the requirement of the tithe?

Much love!
Thanks Marks,

Scripture does elude to giving to the Church (temple) but it also says give to the needy in Matthew 6. I'm not really sure if that is talking about tithes. I suspect it is seperate of tithing. Soooo in hindsight it does strongly suggest giving tithes to The Church only..... so I rescind my question to @JohnPaul . :)

Thank you for enlightening me....

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may be cheaper just to do church at home. . Don’t let people make demands on you, I’ve seen it myself in a local church.

The pastor said “don’t forget to pay your tithes for this church building you wanted”!

It infuriated me so much I ended up walking out.

That is what a lot of the times many people did in the old days have church at their houses. Sharing the gospel, and fellowshipping.

God bless and take care.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Marks,

Scripture does elude to giving to the Church (temple) but it also says give to the needy in Matthew 6. I'm not really sure if that is talking about tithes. I suspect it is seperate of tithing. Soooo in hindsight it does strongly suggest giving tithes to The Church only..... so I rescind my question to @JohnPaul . :)

Thank you for enlightening me....

I'd agree, giving alms is not part of the tithe. At the time, the harvest tithe would be used to supply food for the poor. As well as alms, and gleanings, God used various ways.

Where do you find giving a tithe to the local assembly to be taught in the Bible? I don't see that. Paul taught the church that giving was not to be compulsary, so do you mean using a 10th to be a guideline?

Much love!

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may be cheaper just to do church at home. God bless and take care. Don’t let people make demands on you, I’ve seen it myself in a local church.

The pastor said “don’t forget to pay your tithes for this church building you wanted”!

It infuriated me so much I ended up walking out.

Yeah, when I was married to my ex-wife, she wanted to attend an independent Southern Baptist church, and each service they would stop the music, and start talking about tithing and if we didn't tithe were cursed per the curse in Malachi. It was every service without fail. It was one reason for our many fights.

This is why I tend to stick to a liturgical church. At least the ones I have been in, they pass around the plate, but you're not forced or told you're cursed if you do not give.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Marymog giving time is a reflect of love to me. Though tithing always pertained to Israel it always pertained to giving food, animals, and land. Jesus did speak about the Pharisees and the money they gave to the temple. However the thing is, it’s not biblical to suggest everyone needs to give money especially those who are poor.

I heard a testimony of a person giving up to 500,000$ to the temple, and they themselves struggled to pay bills. The church itself ended up buying a 300,000$ vase.

Thanks Matthew,

The mandate to give is clear in Scripture however You seem to be correct. The more I read on this, $cripture doe$ not flat out $ay one need$ to give money. The poor old lady at the Temple gave money but that seems to be the only mention of giving money to the Church. Also, Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. What was the guy supposed to give to the poor if he sold everything. Money seems to be the only thing he would have left?

But Scripture is clear that we are to "give" (food, animals, land etc) to help the poor/needy etc. So how does one accomplish "giving" to help the poor/needy? It doesn't say anything about giving of our time.....just $tuff....

Respectfully Mary

EDITED

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, when I was married to my ex-wife, she wanted to attend an independent Southern Baptist church, and each service they would stop the music, and start talking about tithing and if we didn't tithe were cursed per the curse in Malachi. It was every service without fail. It was one reason for our many fights.

This is where things get dark. I know of churches like this as well; ones my wife and I distanced ourselves from many years ago. Telling people they are "under a curse" if they don't give $1,000 to some church project is just downright reprehensible. I think the people who are "under a curse" are the ones who subject themselves to that kind of preaching.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do you find giving a tithe to the local assembly to be taught in the Bible? I don't see that.

Much love!
This is the verse that I recall. 1 Corinthians 16:1-4

Reactions: marks

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to poverty will be cursed. Give not with a grudging heart.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to poverty will be cursed. Give not with a grudging heart.
But not to people who are just going to spend it on their own opulance, right? A $300,000 vase?

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is why I tend to stick to a liturgical church. At least the ones I have been in, they pass around the plate, but you're not forced or told you're cursed if you do not give.

Im not opposed to people if they are lead by the spirit to give to someone some money, to help them out.

What I am opposed to is demands or religious dogmatic practices that try to force it on anyone.

I personally do not go to church, hardly ever. I’m not against meeting and fellowship with others.

Thanks Matthew,

The mandate to give is clear in Scripture however You seem to be correct. The more I read on this, $cripture doe$ not flat out $ay one need$ to give money. The poor old lady at the Temple gave money but that seems to be the only mention of giving money to the Church. Also, Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. What was the guy supposed to give to the poor if he sold everything. Money seems to be the only thing he would have left?

But Scripture is clear that we are to "give" (food, animals, land etc) to help the poor/needy etc. So how does one accomplish "giving" to help the poor/needy? It doesn't say anything about giving of our time.....just $tuff....

Respectfully Mary

EDITED

Mary, I’ll put it you like this. I was never given the commandment to tithe. The Children of Israel were. So I’m free of obligation to give anything to anyone. Now that being said of course walking the in spirit and you are lead to take a person to get food there nothing wrong with that.

How ever if a person does it for later use oh I done this and I done that for this person doesn’t make them right with God.

Only Jesus Christ makes us right with God.

Not giving money to a church some where.

Thank you for your question.

Reactions: Mayflower and marks