To clarify my position on heretics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Alright. Now suppose your church were to change the stance on homosexuality it has held for centuries, and begin agreeing with a position held in many Western States that any teaching condemning homosexuality as a sin should be labelled as "hate speech," and as such be punishable by law?

It won't, neither can it... the Truth doesn't change...

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,140 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."141 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText

Peace!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you think I would turn you over to them? I have no jurisdictional authority
Yes you would have. The moment the word went out within the jurisdiction wherein you reside, "BOUNTY ON ALL HERETICS"! That would be your authority. Or anything of similar wording without bounty. Just the hunt for Heretics.
Now, given that, answer the question.

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That policy worked wonders against Galileo.
Sure did. The charge of Heretic , recant or die, caused him to recant.
Years later, long years after of course he was dead, the church rescinded the charge against him. I'm sure he appreciates it.
Just like Joan of Arc. They burned her at the stake. Centuries after she was molten meat cast into the ground somewhere, the church "apologized" for burning her alive and, oh yes, this makes up for those consuming flames, made her a saint. Saint Joan of Arc.
I'm sure it is the snail mail's fault but that thank you note from Joanie has yet to arrive at Vatican City. I'm sure, any day now. Like the reprieve she got centuries after it no longer mattered.

Also, isn't the policy the Jews followed when they wanted Jesus crucified?
Come now! You can't say that! It could be perceived as antisemitic. Just like The Passion movie was deemed so because it showed the truth of Jesus betrayal by the members of the temple.
Anyone watch that movie?

Yet, most Christians view the scriptures of that Roman Church as inspired words of God. I guess we let pagans tell us what God's authoritative words are?
You do if you own a Bible. Even if you don't let your shadow cross the threshold of a RCC.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It won't, neither can it... the Truth doesn't change...

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,140 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."141 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText

Peace!

Well I'm all for this, Phillip, and I hope you're right. My spiritual instincts, however, tell me that you may be in for a shock.

But no need for us to squabble about it until it happens. Just saying it's something you may want to prepare yourself for.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright. Now suppose your church were to change the stance on homosexuality it has held for centuries, and begin agreeing with a position held in many Western States that any teaching condemning homosexuality as a sin should be labelled as "hate speech," and as such be punishable by law?

cannot follow that teacher or pope or should I say anti-pope cause no true pope would change teaching, doctrine dogma are divine revelation and cannot be reformed or changed

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes you would have. The moment the word went out within the jurisdiction wherein you reside, "BOUNTY ON ALL HERETICS"! That would be your authority. Or anything of similar wording without bounty. Just the hunt for Heretics.

sounds like good clean fun, but no I’m not a bishop and don’t have jurisdictional authority

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

how much do think the bounty would be? Lol

Reactions: WaterSong

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
cannot follow that teacher or pope or should I say anti-pope cause no true pope would change teaching, doctrine dogma are divine revelation and cannot be reformed or changed

I like that response. Some staunch Catholics make me fear that anything the church declares would be received, as if they have completely relegated their conscience to the dictates of the church.

Hopefully it doesn't happen, but as I told Phillip, don't be shocked if it does.

God bless, and thanks for answering my inquiries.
- H

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure did. The charge of Heretic , recant or die, caused him to recant.
Years later, long years after of course he was dead, the church rescinded the charge against him. I'm sure he appreciates it.
Just like Joan of Arc. They burned her at the stake. Centuries after she was molten meat cast into the ground somewhere, the church "apologized" for burning her alive and, oh yes, this makes up for those consuming flames, made her a saint. Saint Joan of Arc.
I'm sure it is the snail mail's fault but that thank you note from Joanie has yet to arrive at Vatican City. I'm sure, any day now. Like the reprieve she got centuries after it no longer mattered.

Come now! You can't say that! It could be perceived as antisemitic. Just like The Passion movie was deemed so because it showed the truth of Jesus betrayal by the members of the temple.
Anyone watch that movie?

You do if you own a Bible. Even if you don't let your shadow cross the threshold of a RCC.

Joan of Arc was persecuted by an evil bishop and the English who wanted to take over France

all I need is a Bible and I’ll be Protestant, how silly

you would also need Protestant colored glasses or fundamentalist scales on your eyes

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joan of Arc was persecuted by an evil bishop and the English who wanted to take over France
Yes, I saw the movie too. The Sham Trial And Gruesome Death Of Joan Of Arc
joan-of-arc-before-her-death.jpg

all I need is a Bible and I’ll be Protestant, how silly
Well, we know what "heretics" you'd focus on first were it to come to that in America.
The good part about being Protestant back in the day? We didn't kill you if you owned a Bible. :)

you would also need Protestant colored glasses or fundamentalist scales on your eyes
Didn't you hear? Those were removed at the Reformation. Now it remains as the Catholics whose vision is scaled behind rose lenses.
You should try it. :)

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sounds like good clean fun, but no I’m not a bishop and don’t have jurisdictional authority
That's nonsense. But it does answer the question through avoidance. As in, Yes!
Because you believe someone would qualify, per your faith, today under the charge of Heretic.

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like that response. Some staunch Catholics make me fear that anything the church declares would be received, as if they have completely relegated their conscience to the dictates of the church.

Hopefully it doesn't happen, but as I told Phillip, don't be shocked if it does.

God bless, and thanks for answering my inquiries.
- H
Wait! Ask thee if he respects the current pope.
And then, who was the last true pope appointed? (In thee's opinion)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wait! Ask thee if he respects the current pope.
And then, who was the last true pope appointed? (In thee's opinion)

I decided to let him go on the minutia. :) What I wanted to know is where he would stand when one of them finally stood up and blatantly denounced apostolic teaching in favor of modern social trends and the dictates of "the State."

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wouldn’t i was kidding
First what you believe is one thing, and that’s not a heretic, a heretic is someone who teaches error, and when corrected refuses to recant and continues to teach error which is a very serious matter touching on divine revelation and the salvation of souls, such as the error of justification by faith alone

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I saw the movie too. The Sham Trial And Gruesome Death Of Joan Of Arc
joan-of-arc-before-her-death.jpg

Well, we know what "heretics" you'd focus on first were it to come to that in America.
The good part about being Protestant back in the day? We didn't kill you if you owned a Bible. :)

Didn't you hear? Those were removed at the Reformation. Now it remains as the Catholics whose vision is scaled behind rose lenses.
You should try it. :)

What about the catholic martyrs of England and France?

Reactions: WaterSong

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about the catholic martyrs of England and France?
I know about them too. How redundant is it to claim to worship the God of Love and the Prince of Peace and then slaughter people whose worship is judged unworthy of respect because they honor and worship the God of Love and the Prince of Peace differently.
Oh, that bit in the Bible about, thou shalt not murder, didn't mean...CRUSADES! The Inquisitions. Bloody Mary had a good heart and loved God.... :rolleyes:

Pope Apologizes for Killing Protestants

Was there ever a news item where an official from a Protestant denomination apologized for the slaughter of Catholics in past history? I couldn't find one, I looked. :(

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wouldn’t i was kidding
First what you believe is one thing, and that’s not a heretic, a heretic is someone who teaches error, and when corrected refuses to recant and continues to teach error which is a very serious matter touching on divine revelation and the salvation of souls, such as the error of justification by faith alone
See how that starts though? What you just stated in that last part. Justification by faith alone. Sola Fide, was deemed anathema by the Council of Trent in 1563.
However, how many Christians hold to faith alone saves?
Are they worthy of death as Heretics?
People here, Catholic and Protestant, "teach", when they defend their belief and sustain it with scriptural evidence. One Catholic's heretic is a Protestants heretic.
See how that works?
We're all souls having a human experience. Souls given us by one God, the God. And yet, when encased in flesh we come to choose sides as to which teaching about the one God is sound. When in truth, we're all here because we're all souls of and from that one God.

Human ego gives birth to the illusion our conscious limited human intellect is able to encapsulate eternity between the pages of a book.
And then be justified for killing people who don't see the same message as we do on its pages.

And atheists wonder why we believe the human race needs saving.