Tongues ( 'sign' gifts ) did/did not cease?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The original purpose?

This happened at Pentecost. What happened after Peter's sermon?
What evidence of the gift was given after water baptism?
What was missing in Samaria? (evidence = speaking in tongues)
Check out the topic.

Ignorance.
This is what happens when those who know nothing about tongues seek to instruct those who do.
FYI

Five Different Uses of Tongues
1) Personal prayer language (worship/edification)
2) Intercessory prayer language
3) A prophetic message for a congregation
4) Warfare prayer in the Spirit
5) Evangelistic language (like at Pentecost)

There are more uses...
Paul told us not to speak in tongues if no one is there to interpret. That makes sense to me.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul told us not to speak in tongues if no one is there to interpret. That makes sense to me.
Paul only said this when there is an Assembly gathered and preaching the Word is in operation.
This would also apply to the 'no-brainer' which is; you do not walk up to somebody speaking in tongues expecting them to understand.

The Holy Spirit also says this: 1 Corinthians 14:1-5

"Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.
For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.
But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.
He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification."

Therefore no one has authority to override what is commanded to us by the LORD Jesus Christ in Gospel of John, Acts & 1 Corinthians.

You must decide who you will believe for there are dire consequences if you choose: "did God really say?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TRUTH or Consequences = 1 Corinthians 14:36-39

Or did the word of God come originally from you? Or was it you only that it reached?
If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write
to you are the commandments of the Lord.

But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.

Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues.
Let all things be done decently and in order.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sigh...
The "tongues" Paul was talking about is #3 from the list below.
He wasn't referring to #1, #2, or #4 in a church service.
ONLY #3 in the list be;low requires interpretation.
You should attend a Pentecostal/Charismatic church for a while to learn about these things.

Reactions: David in NJ

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you make of this? Who is sitting down?

1 Corinthians 14:29-31 NIV
Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.
30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop.
31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't forget. (send it)
No, not the dirty socks! (ew)
INTRO
The VERY THING that is being experienced here on this Thread already ocurred in Acts and this was done by the Foreknowledge of God so that we who believe every word (Matt 4:4) would not be "tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine".

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You inspired my NEW signature line. (pretty snazzy, huh?)
Too long for me to type but here it is in condensed form:

Saved in a small home church where i received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
After that i went to different churches from Baptist, to Non-Denom to Pentecostal etc etc
God was teaching me.
At one point i became a little concerned on my gift of Tongues and so i questioned it in prayer to the Lord and went AGAIN
to deep study and prayer as i was no longer interested in hearing from men/churches on the subject.
i wanted and needed to KNOW for myself DIRECTLY from my Heavenly FATHER who = "it is impossible for God to lie"
The Holy Spirit enlarged my understanding from the Holy Scriptures and brought me to a place of Complete CONFIDENCE in them.

As you see in my posts, i try to say very little so as to give the Preeminence to the Holy Scriptures which are TRUTH.

After the Gift of Salvation to a Believer in Christ the next MOST IMPORTANT Promise of the Father is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Your NEW signature line was one of the KEY verses opened to me by the Holy Spirit = NEVER question it = 100% TRUTH
As you said earlier "KABOOM"

Peace my Brother

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
INTRO
The VERY THING that is being experienced here on this Thread already ocurred in Acts and this was done by the Foreknowledge of God so that we who believe every word (Matt 4:4) would not be "tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine".
A reference to this? - LOL

Acts 2:13 NIV
Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”

COMPARE:

1 Samuel 1:13 NIV
Hannah was praying in her heart, and her lips were moving
but her voice was not heard. Eli thought she was drunk.

Romans 8:26 NIV
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.
We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself
intercedes for us through wordless groans.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A reference to this? - LOL

Acts 2:13 NIV
Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”

COMPARE:

1 Samuel 1:13 NIV
Hannah was praying in her heart, and her lips were moving
but her voice was not heard. Eli thought she was drunk.

Romans 8:26 NIV
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.
We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself
intercedes for us through wordless groans.
Yes, that was just the intro.

The same individual in Acts is mentioned in 1 Corinthians chapter 1 = this is not by chance

Read tonight the account in Acts with Apollos and the follow up with Paul

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul only said this when there is an Assembly gathered and preaching the Word is in operation.
This would also apply to the 'no-brainer' which is; you do not walk up to somebody speaking in tongues expecting them to understand.

The Holy Spirit also says this: 1 Corinthians 14:1-5

"Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.
For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.
But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.
He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification."

Therefore no one has authority to override what is commanded to us by the LORD Jesus Christ in Gospel of John, Acts & 1 Corinthians.

You must decide who you will believe for there are dire consequences if you choose: "did God really say?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TRUTH or Consequences = 1 Corinthians 14:36-39

Or did the word of God come originally from you? Or was it you only that it reached?
If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write
to you are the commandments of the Lord.

But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.

Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues.
Let all things be done decently and in order.

Sigh...
The "tongues" Paul was talking about is #3 from the list below.
He wasn't referring to #1, #2, or #4 in a church service.
ONLY #3 in the list be;low requires interpretation.
You should attend a Pentecostal/Charismatic church for a while to learn about these things.

I have seen "speaking in tongues" used as a status symbol in a church. If you don't "speak in tongues," then you are considered inferior to the others. Therefore, people speak in gibberish, as if they were speaking in tongues, just to "prove" they aren't inferior.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too long for me to type but here it is in condensed form:

Saved in a small home church where i received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
After that i went to different churches from Baptist, to Non-Denom to Pentecostal etc etc
God was teaching me.
At one point i became a little concerned on my gift of Tongues and so i questioned it in prayer to the Lord and went AGAIN
to deep study and prayer as i was no longer interested in hearing from men/churches on the subject.
i wanted and needed to KNOW for myself DIRECTLY from my Heavenly FATHER who = "it is impossible for God to lie"
The Holy Spirit enlarged my understanding from the Holy Scriptures and brought me to a place of Complete CONFIDENCE in them.

As you see in my posts, i try to say very little so as to give the Preeminence to the Holy Scriptures which are TRUTH.

After the Gift of Salvation to a Believer in Christ the next MOST IMPORTANT Promise of the Father is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Your NEW signature line was one of the KEY verses opened to me by the Holy Spirit = NEVER question it = 100% TRUTH
As you said earlier "KABOOM"

Peace my Brother
Great testimony, thanks. Powerful.

Revelation 12:11 NIV
They triumphed over him
by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony;
they did not love their lives so much
as to shrink from death.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that was just the intro.

The same individual in Acts is mentioned in 1 Corinthians chapter 1 = this is not by chance

Read tonight the account in Acts with Apollos and the follow up with Paul
Sorry, I/m being thick-headed here.
Can you elaborate?
I don't see Apollos in Acts chapter one. ???

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@DJT_47 said: "Very difficult subject (spiritual gifts) which is why there's so much controversy, and equally difficult to unravel and explain. But let me explain it this way.
First, look at the way Paul started his letter to the Corinthians starting at 1 Cor1:10 where he's discussing contentions and divisions in Corinth and the need for unity which sets the stage for the rest of 1 Corinthians.
Also keep in mind, this was written to THEM in their time, addressing THEIR near term issues, and not to us nor considering some event in the distant future."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The above "repost" statement is causing division, directly opposes the Apostle Paul's words and is against the will of God for the Bride of Christ, His Elect.
How so? Truth is always contrary to untruth which in essence is division. Truth should and does cause division.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have seen "speaking in tongues" used as a status symbol in a church. If you don't "speak in tongues," then you are considered inferior to the others. Therefore, people speak in gibberish, as if they were speaking in tongues, just to "prove" they aren't inferior.
I'm familiar with that complaint.
And I can see how that could happen.
I have not experienced that where I have been attending.

In fact, at a previous church I was approached by a young man who
asked me, "So, do you speak in tongues around here?" - LOL
I made a conscious effort to speak in tongues around him after that.
Which gets others going as well.

By pointing to a counterfeit, you admit to the real.
But I suppose that wasn't your intention.

I would be happy to outline the issues I have with anti-tongues churches if you like.
But I see no point in that. I am not against anti-tongues churches.
Even though they have chosen us as an enemy.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have seen "speaking in tongues" used as a status symbol in a church.
Do you understand what the Baptism with the Holy Spirit is about?
It is a subsequent experience to a renewed relationship with God. ("salvation")

Jesus said this to the Apostles. (who already had a renewed relationship with God)
Differentiating water baptism from Spirit baptism.

Acts 1:5 NIV
For John baptized with[a] water, but in a few days you will be baptized with[b] the Holy Spirit.”

• Love

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How so? Truth is always contrary to untruth which in essence is division. Truth should and does cause division.
Are you in favor of doctrinal unity?

If so, whose doctrine should we all submit to?
Shouldn't you get to choose what you believe?

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct
Currently you are under "untruth" in your unbelief of "it is written" in the Holy Scriptures, concerning 1 Corinthians.

Reactions: St. SteVen