Vaping problems? / benefits?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you think vaping is:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The big 3 have been trying to demonize vaping since day one. They don't want people off cigarettes. Big tobacco, Big Pharma and the FDA all want their piece. Here in NY, they (Cuomo :mad:) banned all flavors except for tobacco. I guess we as adults don't like 'flavors' anymore?? So, I order and send it to one of my brothers in N.C. and he mails it to me! I only like the coffee espresso as, over the last 13 or so years, I have tried so many...I don't care for the fruity flavors, the tobacco or the menthol, but the bubble gum and cotton candy are AWESOME!! Also depends on where you get you supplies from as, some are better than others. High Caliber Coffee Espresso is a little more expensive but, it lasts me forever and, I've been stocking up on it as they are going to discontinue the line :( It's okay as, I've been dropping the nic level each time I order and, I am now down to 12 mg...and THAT is from 36 mg of nic. I will put these down eventually as well.
@Nancy What you relate shows the cynicism of hugely influential corporations.

I see that vaping enables you to continue with your inhales while progressively cutting down on nicotine levels.

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@VictoryinJesus On the other thread you mentioned the theme of worry; there are indeed spiritual resources for this. One does recognize also that inhales can have a temporary calming effect, right?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy FYI...did you see this poll? maybe not relevant to you...
I am a smoker.
I never tried vaping..unless you include those electric cigarette things. (I dont like them)
I been smoking for 45 years. Started on my 10th Birthday.
It was a Bday present from a friend... (everybody's doing it, here)
I roll my own though, I use pipe tobacco (menthol even)
I watched a debate on the House floor when they were thinking about banning them.
Then they pushed to remove menthol products but figured it would affect one part of society they didn't want to offend.
So they dropped it.
Which worked out good for me because I like menthol.
Menthol is one of those ingredients that help keep covid away, so I get a benefit from this nasty addiction.
I haven't gotten the flu yet.. or whatever you want to call it.
So I have no opinion other than, do what you want to do.
Only you will have to deal with the consequences, just like me.
(Judge not..... )
So I'll go with whats good for the goose may not be so good for the gander #5
Hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am a smoker.
I never tried vaping..unless you include those electric cigarette things. (I dont like them)
I roll my own though, I use pipe tobacco (menthol even)
I watched a debate on the House floor when they were thinking about banning them.
Then they pushed to remove menthol products but figured it would affect one part of society they didn't want to offend.
So they dropped it.
Which worked out good for me because I like menthol.
Menthol is one of those ingredients that help keep covid away, so I get a benefit from this nasty addiction.
I haven't gotten the flu yet.. or whatever you want to call it.
So I have no opinion other than, do what you want to do.
Only you will have to deal with the consequences, just like me.
(Judge not..... )
So I'll go with whats good for the goose may not be so good for the gander #5
Hugs
@Ziggy Thanks for your comment! (and your vote!)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am a smoker.
PS: @Ziggy I reckon, though, that if one's 18 year old grandson - or granddaughter - was curious about smoking, a gift of cigarettes and lighter would still probably not be a good idea...right? or maybe you're not sure...

(Following on a bit from the discussion on the other thread...)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS: @Ziggy I reckon, though, that if one's 18 year old grandson - or granddaughter - was curious about smoking, a gift of cigarettes and lighter would still probably not be a good idea...right? or maybe you're not sure...

(Following on a bit from the discussion on the other thread...)
I don't encourage anyone to smoke.
I started because at the time it was a group thing.
Everybody's doing it, come on with us...
Today, not all kids are doing it.
They are much wiser than me.
It's been a long time since I baught gifts.
I probably wouldn't start now.
I'll get you what you need when you need it if I can.
That sounds scroogy but it's not about being a miser.
I just don't like shopping.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't encourage anyone to smoke.
I started because at the time it was a group thing.
Everybody's doing it, come on with us...
Today, not all kids are doing it.
They are much wiser than me.
It's been a long time since I baught gifts.
I just don't like shopping.
@Ziggy Were you for example introduced to it by other 10 year olds or thereabouts? rather than by an adult.

I guess the tern 'peer pressure' is relevant...

Reactions: Ziggy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I been smoking for 45 years. ..
@Ziggy Yes, in those days it was what ppl did.

Pearl mentioned about her family and her mom, decades back:

She always had cigarettes in he apron pocket. It was just part of who she was and smoking was not taboo back then. .. It was just what people did. I never thought it was wrong until they started talking about the health risks.

Prior to WW1 it was more of a man thing (although historically before the American Civil War it apparently used to be widespread for women to smoke also). But from about WW1 onward, generally speaking, a smoking woman was not taboo, like Pearl said, doing it would have been just part of who she was.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy Were you for example introduced to it by other 10 year olds or thereabouts? rather than by an adult.

I guess the tern 'peer pressure' is relevant...
I forgot what thread we was in..
smoking/vaping ok
I think she was a year older maybe. I still remember her name Cheryl.
She was one of the group of kids that hung around the block.
I wasn't much for hanging with them.
In fact, now that I think about it, this is so funny.
I used to sit in the back yard by myself with a spoon and dig up rocks.
All different kinds. ones with swirls and ones with speckles.
And I got a hammer and would crack em open to see what was inside..
and as I'm writing this I am almost falling off the chair laughing
because of hammers and smashing rocks LOL

So she thought if I got to smoking that I would want to join the gang.
And sometimes I did for games like hide n seek or kick the ball, rover red rover.. you know
when kids used to play outside. :(

It just got to be a habit after the first week or 2.
It's a loooong story.

But to answer your question..
Yeah
woulda been easier if you just said that from the start ya know? :rolleyes:
Yeah I know, but it's more fun this way. :D

HUGS

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy Yes, in those days it was what ppl did.

Pearl mentioned about her family and her mom, decades back:

Prior to WW1 it was more of a man thing (although historically before the American Civil War it apparently used to be widespread for women to smoke also). But from about WW1 onward, generally speaking, a smoking woman was not taboo, like Pearl said, doing it would have been just part of who she was.
I think the tobacco industry just wanted more customers, so they could make more money.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Vaping has been exactly what I needed to quit smoking. I have smoked cigarettes for over 40 years. Since I started vaping, I have reduced my smoking gradually over the year. I now smoke less then 1/2 pack/day of cigarettes and still reducing. I've maintained this consistent downward progression of smoking cigs for the past one year. The amount of tar that I have avoided taking in because of vaping has certainly been helpful to my lungs and cardiovascular system. Unlike 'the patch' or nicorette gum, vaping provides what I need to quit, something to puff on and something to hold in my hand - similar to a cigarette.

I do understand that young people are using vaping just like I used cigarettes, and that it has become a problem for some of our youth. While I agree that this is problematic, I also recognize that vaping can be of benefit to others like myself. My opinion, like my opinion about driving, voting, military service, etc. - young people do not have the neurological capacity to make adequate decisions about vaping (or, voting, driving, serving in the military, etc.) until they are 25 years of age. But, no Democratic leader is going to take that away from the 18-25 year olds because of the Democratic tendency to deny many of the finding of the scientific community. The human brain is immature until the age of 25 years old.
@MattMooradian Thanks for your comments....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Ziggy I suppose if a young man/woman that you knew came to you while you were smoking and while you were chatting s/he casually asked you for a cigarette out of your pack, you might not refuse to let him/her join you in smoking?

Ppl need really to understand anyway that years ago it's what ppl just did, without giving it a great deal of thought.