Was James confused?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
ah, i assumed that you were still fairly cognizant of the RCC doings, simply by association? lol
You're right.
Sorry 'bout that.
A priest is coming here this week to get some stuff translated.
I hope it's not tooooo catholic!
We talk a lot. I tell all the priests there's no purgatory.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You're right.
Sorry 'bout that.
A priest is coming here this week to get some stuff translated.
I hope it's not tooooo catholic!
We talk a lot. I tell all the priests there's no purgatory.
lol. heretic (or almost, Matt Fox etc) priests are driving a revolution in Creation centered literature right now, best stuff going imo.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I don't think James was confused [as per the O/P] I think he took a while to come out from his Judaic belief system and become a follower of the way. He did become a firm believer, as I understand it, after Christ's death and resurrection.

Reactions: pia and Helen

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We all heard you the first time...you don't need to keep repeating yourself..we are not stupid.

Do you know what..I have yet to read you say one positive thing about anyones posts.
All we see you do is disagree and correct people.
How about something positive for a change...and really surprise us!
I would have to agree with you here. She sees herself as a corrector of all churchianity, and quite frankly, she can have it !!!!
Notice she says to you that she doesn't take instruction from you lol, but she sure does GIVE everybody a dose of her instructions..Like you, I would love to see even just one post from her, where it builds up instead of pulling down, like a couple of other people on the forum.....
It's a conundrum !...Ha,ha.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I don't think James was confused [as per the O/P] I think he took a while to come out from his Judaic belief system and become a follower of the way. He did become a firm believer, as I understand it, after Christ's death and resurrection.
Many Jews of the time had this problem. We see it clearly stated in the book of Galatians.
Paul asked them why they would want to leave a life of enslavement to rules and regulations when they could instead serve the living god.

It must have been difficult to leave everything they knew.

Some deny the deity of Jesus.
Wouldn't this fact speak to it in a positive way?
I think so...

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I would have to agree with you here. She sees herself as a corrector of all churchianity, and quite frankly, she can have it !!!!
Notice she says to you that she doesn't take instruction from you lol, but she sure does GIVE everybody a dose of her instructions..Like you, I would love to see even just one post from her, where it builds up instead of pulling down, like a couple of other people on the forum.....
Please don't speak about me as if I weren't here.
I had something to say and said it directly to the person.
You should do the same.

How about DOING what Jesus said instead of just TALKING about it?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
BTW
I don't give instructions...I just state my opinion.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It must have been difficult to leave everything they knew.

Some deny the deity of Jesus.
Wouldn't this fact speak to it in a positive way?
I think so...

Indeed it would have been so difficult to leave something that was ingrained in their culture for a new and living way in Christ, yet in saying that, they were waiting for the Messiah to come. They just did not believe that Jesus was the Messiah they were waiting for because he did not fit their interpretation of prophecy ergo ~ the conquering king who was going to destroy their enemies...

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Indeed it would have been so difficult to leave something that was ingrained in their culture for a new and living way in Christ, yet in saying that, they were waiting for the Messiah to come. They just did not believe that Jesus was the Messiah they were waiting for because he did not fit their interpretation of prophecy ergo ~ the conquering king who was going to destroy their enemies...
Right.
And also, didn't the fact that the Jews REMAINED in The Way, prove that they believed Jesus was God?

Since they believed so strongly in the first commandments from the O.T. wouldn't they have had to be convinced that Jesus was God in order to remain in The Way?
Deuteronomy 6:4

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right.
And also, didn't the fact that the Jews REMAINED in The Way, prove that they believed Jesus was God?

Since they believed so strongly in the first commandments from the O.T. wouldn't they have had to be convinced that Jesus was God in order to remain in The Way?

The Jews who believed were those that accepted Jesus as their Messiah and King. They never said anything about God's grace based on Jesus' work on the cross. If you read Acts 21:20 you will see that the believing Jews were still zealous of the law and thought that they were still under the law of Moses. That difference led to Paul's being arrested.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

The Jews who believed were those that accepted Jesus as their Messiah and King. They never said anything about God's grace based on Jesus' work on the cross. If you read Acts 21:20 you will see that the believing Jews were still zealous of the law and thought that they were still under the law of Moses. That difference led to Paul's being arrested.
You're saying they were confused and thought Jesus to be only the Messiah? (The annointed one).
So you don't believe they were treating Jesus as God at this point?
If they believed they were still under the law of Moses and were mad because Paul was teaching that it wasn't necessary for gentiles to become Jews first, then it shows they'd understood nothing yet.

But by the time John died, the next generation DID believe Jesus was God.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
amazing to me how closely this mirrors most christians' beliefs about Christ even today.

Reactions: Armadillo

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Right.

Not all Jews believed. Some of his followers deserted him when he was arrested and persecution arose against the followers of The Way. One even denied that he was a disciple of Christ, however, when he rose again and was seen by many [even doubting Thomas] many believed. John 20 ~
28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Please don't speak about me as if I weren't here.
I had something to say and said it directly to the person.
You should do the same.

How about DOING what Jesus said instead of just TALKING about it?
Says the lady who has done that very thing to and about me ( several times now )....lol...You're so funny !
How do you know what I do ? This is yet another post of yours which goes to show, you only seem to post extremely negative and even offensive comments, except when you are baiting someone into a debate where you then try to shoot them down in flames........I truly think you need to look at your 'reflection' in Christ, and you can believe me or not, that is from a heart of love, not a sad attempt to have a go at you....

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
BTW
I don't give instructions...I just state my opinion.
I am wondering if English is a second language to you, as it is to me...I can get in trouble for not saying things quite right, because I wasn't raised with English as my first language,......Seems you have a little of the same, so it is a serious question.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Grace is great but you need the law to show you how to live for it is the law that appears to you, Titus 2:11,12 and to only have grace then sin will explode in you, Romans 5:20.

Don't amen this!:D
If through His will, He has granted us His unmerited favor, His Grace, and written His 'laws' on our hearts, what use do we have for the written law...Once saved and filled, it becomes a no brainer...it is so easy to see, that if every human being had followed just those 10 directives, it would be a near perfect world....As Paul writes, the Law is perfect, and Jesus perfectly kept it, so we wouldn't have to, as if we even could...Not ever even one thought outside of Gods will, not likely !

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're saying they were confused and thought Jesus to be only the Messiah? (The annointed one).
So you don't believe they were treating Jesus as God at this point?
If they believed they were still under the law of Moses and were mad because Paul was teaching that it wasn't necessary for gentiles to become Jews first, then it shows they'd understood nothing yet.

But by the time John died, the next generation DID believe Jesus was God.

You said "So you don't believe they were treating Jesus as God at this point?So you don't believe they were treating Jesus as God at this point?""

Why did you say that???> I never said that so I won't waste my time trying to refute it.

What is supported by scriptures is that the believing Jews believed that Jesus was their Messiah and King. They never heard the gospel of grace until Paul taught it.

Matt 16:15-17
15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
16 Simon Peter answered and said,"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17 Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
NKJV
But it seems Peter forgot this when he denied Jesus 3 times.

Near the end of Peters life he said this about Paul's message of God's grace.

2 Peter 3:14-16 ----- Be Steadfast
14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless;
15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation — as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you,
16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

Peter has indicated that Paul's writings are scripture.

Reactions: Helen