Was Satan bound and conquered at the Cross then loosed?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Has Rev.20:7 come to pass recently? Was Satan even personally bound? Was the Godman Jesus even strong enough to conquer Satan at the Cross?

Personally I've never seen such a coalesing of hot spots in the world as I see today...broadly speaking...any ideas? In such a short period of time? Time to pull our heads out of the sand including me.

Old Jack wiping the sand off his head

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Satan was not and is not bound. He will not be bound until Jesus Christ returns to end the Tribulation.
When Satan finally is bound then the first prophecy will FINALLY be fulfilled - Genesis 2:2 - and on the 7th Day, God rested.
God will be able to rest for at least 1000 years.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
John 12:31-32 "31 Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”

I think this refers to all judgement, and we know that there is still judging to be done on the earth. The Father still has things to put back under the Son. So I don't think Rev.20:7 has happened yet.

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Thank you folks for your response!

So can I conclude that Lk.11:21, 22 does not have an application to Jesus and/or Satan personally?

Old Jack

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
shturt678s said:

So can I conclude that Lk.11:21, 22 does not have an application to Jesus and/or Satan personally?

Old Jack
Jack.....you just do what ever you want to my friend..............you go girl :)

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
shturt678s said:

Old Jack
I think the strong man in verse 21 is a demon, since the context is demon possession of a person. The one stronger than he in verse 22 is Jesus driving out the demons by the finger of God.

The world is different I think.

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
lforrest said:
I think the strong man in verse 21 is a demon, since the context is demon possession of a person. The one stronger than he in verse 22 is Jesus driving out the demons by the finger of God.

The world is different I think.
So you and brother RANDOR stepped out in an enormous leap of faith....great!

It's all Greek to me, however brother RANDOR's recent paygrade increase allows us to find the tertium quid in the illustration at Lk.11:21, 22, that is, the ol' indefinite and undefined, but related third thing.

Reason I'm going this direction is 1forrest's "demon possession of a person," in my words, "devilish minds" lies at the bottom of Jesus' syllogistic reasoning in this precious passage, and the Person of "Jesus"....in my opinion....good job!!! Your leap of faith was valid...again, in my opinion only.

Thus "complete" defeat must precede the act of plundering - God's Kingdom must have come before demoniacs could be liberated as the Godman Jesus was liberating them. End point:

Syllogistically application to Jesus and Satan or Jesus and the demons...RANDOR make that leap again?

Old opinionated Jack

Cooter

Jun 14, 2011
N E Ohio
No that is not what this passage means...

Revelation 20:7-10 (NIV2011)
7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison

When the unknown period of the Church age is over - then Satan will be released from his prison or restriction. This immediately preceeds the Second Coming of Jesus to end all of time and humanity.

8 and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore.

Satan was only bound in one area of his activity he was restricted in his ability to bring ALL NATIONS against the Church globally. The term Gog and Magog is a reference to Ezekiel's chapter 38 and 39 where he prophesies the coming of Antiochus and his occupation of Jerusalem which happened in BC167-164. This was a very serious time in the history of Israel. Antiochus was the first ruler who tried to completely obliterate the Jewish people by destroying them, their sacred writings, and their religion all together. He even tried to hellianize them but failed when the Maccabees retook the city just three years later. The Term "Gog and Magog" is a symbol used by John to convey the idea of total annihalation. It was said that the armies of Antiochus swarmed into Jerusalem.

9 They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city he loves.

John is saying that just before the Second Coming there will be a world wide persecution of the Christians.

But fire came down from heaven and devoured them.

This is the Second Coming of Jesus when he destroys His enemies with the brightness of His coming.

10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

This occurrs after the Second coming when Satan no longer has any place in the plans of God.

The release of Satan is the only prophetic event that we are watching for in our day. When you see an international persecution of the people of God then you know the time is near and it appears to be soon.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Cooter said:
The release of Satan is the only prophetic event that we are watching for in our day. When you see an international persecution of the people of God then you know the time is near and it appears to be soon.
Lots of international persecution goin on lately...2000 plus years of fleein goin on right this very second in Irag

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Cooter said:
No that is not what this passage means...

Revelation 20:7-10 (NIV2011)
7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison

When the unknown period of the Church age is over - then Satan will be released from his prison or restriction. This immediately preceeds the Second Coming of Jesus to end all of time and humanity.

8 and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore.

Satan was only bound in one area of his activity he was restricted in his ability to bring ALL NATIONS against the Church globally. The term Gog and Magog is a reference to Ezekiel's chapter 38 and 39 where he prophesies the coming of Antiochus and his occupation of Jerusalem which happened in BC167-164. This was a very serious time in the history of Israel. Antiochus was the first ruler who tried to completely obliterate the Jewish people by destroying them, their sacred writings, and their religion all together. He even tried to hellianize them but failed when the Maccabees retook the city just three years later. The Term "Gog and Magog" is a symbol used by John to convey the idea of total annihalation. It was said that the armies of Antiochus swarmed into Jerusalem.

9 They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city he loves.

John is saying that just before the Second Coming there will be a world wide persecution of the Christians.

But fire came down from heaven and devoured them.

This is the Second Coming of Jesus when he destroys His enemies with the brightness of His coming.

10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

This occurrs after the Second coming when Satan no longer has any place in the plans of God.

Thank you for your response and caring!

RANDOR gave a good summation of what this passage means, great - "right this second" - Thank you Jesus!

Old Jack

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
shturt678s said:
Has Rev.20:7 come to pass recently? Was Satan even personally bound? Was the Godman Jesus even strong enough to conquer Satan at the Cross?

Personally I've never seen such a coalesing of hot spots in the world as I see today...broadly speaking...any ideas? In such a short period of time? Time to pull our heads out of the sand including me.

Yes, Satan is currently bound and won't be released until the sixth trumpet sounds, the sixth seal is open, and the sixth vial is poured out. As mentioned, Satan was locked in the pit after Christ was crucified (John 12:31), and Michael will release him for the great tribulation ( Revelation 12:7-9).

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Dan57 said:

Yes, Satan is currently bound and won't be released until the sixth trumpet sounds, the sixth seal is open, and the sixth vial is poured out. As mentioned, Satan was locked in the pit after Christ was crucified (John 12:31),

Miraculously perfect! I don't know how you did it...too many miss this.

and Michael will release him for the great tribulation ( Revelation 12:7-9).
Agree to disagree of course, however thank you again!

Old Jack's opinion

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
shturt678s said:

The power of sin has been defeated at the cross. It will not and cannot have power over the saved - over those of the second birth - to destroy the spirit of the saved man.

Unfortunately, many Christians feel they have license to sin. They won't admit it, but they live it. The flirtation with sin goes on despite dedication to faith.

Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.
- Romans 6:13

The world would accuse the saints of hypocrisy in an attempt to justify their own indulgences. Hypocrisy it is, but it is something far worse.

Read Genesis 3. The first sin was the result of Adam & Eve yielding their authority over sin TO sin. When they yielded themselves to temptation, they gave themselves to sin - thus despising the Lord and rejecting the greatest opportunity to please Him through obedience. Instead they obeyed sin. Men have been trying and failing to please God ever since.

The lost, the unsaved, the unregenerate are STILL under the power of sin and cannot extricate themselves from it. Far worse, they don't even wish to - it has so permeated their minds and souls that they literally cannot repent.

But the greater crime is that of the church, being saved, which flirts and indulges in sin. The end result is a terrible punishment from the Lord for it is also written;

For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
- 1 Peter 4:17

NO ONE EVER GOES BACK TO EGYPT. EVER.

The result of sin in the life of the believer is not a reactivation of the power of sin, but of punishment by God - even to the point of early death.

Do NOT grieve the Holy Spirit. A terrible judgment awaits those who do......and the judgment is irreversible....that the spirit might be saved.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
The power of sin has been defeated at the cross. It will not and cannot have power over the saved - over those of the second birth - to destroy the spirit of the saved man.

Unfortunately, many Christians feel they have license to sin. They won't admit it, but they live it. The flirtation with sin goes on despite dedication to faith.

Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.
- Romans 6:13

The world would accuse the saints of hypocrisy in an attempt to justify their own indulgences. Hypocrisy it is, but it is something far worse.

Read Genesis 3. The first sin was the result of Adam & Eve yielding their authority over sin TO sin. When they yielded themselves to temptation, they gave themselves to sin - thus despising the Lord and rejecting the greatest opportunity to please Him through obedience. Instead they obeyed sin. Men have been trying and failing to please God ever since.

The lost, the unsaved, the unregenerate are STILL under the power of sin and cannot extricate themselves from it. Far worse, they don't even wish to - it has so permeated their minds and souls that they literally cannot repent.

But the greater crime is that of the church, being saved, which flirts and indulges in sin. The end result is a terrible punishment from the Lord for it is also written;

For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
- 1 Peter 4:17

NO ONE EVER GOES BACK TO EGYPT. EVER.

The result of sin in the life of the believer is not a reactivation of the power of sin, but of punishment by God - even to the point of early death.

Do NOT grieve the Holy Spirit. A terrible judgment awaits those who do......and the judgment is irreversible....that the spirit might be saved.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
Really, really liked the "power of sin" part....good job!

Bringing more light to the issue...thank you again!

Old Jack whispering back

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cooter said:

That is my view as well. However, while I agree that this speaks of the final and gravest struggle the church will ever undergo, I don't believe the loosing of Satan from his confinement in darkness will "immediately" precede the coming of Jesus. Some time seems to be indicated in that Satan goes out to deceive the nations and gather them together to make war with the Church and the New Covenant. That seems to indicate some period of time elapsing.

I have come to that same understanding. For many of us Christians, because of the way we read the Revelation, we only see Jesus as the Son of Man, clothed in humility, laying down his life. And indeed, we cannot come to the Father except by way of the Cross and this vision of Jesus. But we mustn't stop there. In the Revelation we are shown a vision of Jesus as is he now ... Ascended and seated at the right hand of God, given all power and all authority, in heaven and in earth, a Living, Triumphant, Glorified Christ in whose presence the darkness melts away like faint shadows before the blazing sun. Why, even the one man who knew Jesus better than any man on earth, when he saw Jesus as he is, fell at Jesus' feet in a dead faint!

When Jesus returns the 2nd time to set foot on this earth, it won't be in the humility that he came the first time, he will return in all His glory ... it won't be to serve and lay down his life as he did the first time, it will be to destroy evil and reward all those who love his appearing ... it will be the end of the world as we know it, and the beginning of a new heavens and new earth.

Again, that is what the Scriptures actually say. The 2nd Coming of Jesus will be the end of this present heavens and earth, and the beginning of the new, and in that new there will be no more sin, or sickness, no more pain or weeping, no more suffering or death. Everything will be made new.

We may have already witnessed it. But this last, great struggle may be more of a spiritual struggle than a physical assault. Christians have been persecuted since the beginning of the faith and yet the spilling of all that blood has only made the church stronger! It's in the spiritual arena that the powers of darkness are most effective, and it may be that this is where the final battle will be fought. It's not just the "camp of the saints" (the Old Testament type of the church in the wilderness of this world) that will be assaulted, it's also the "Beloved City," (the New Jerusalem, the New Covenant) that will be under attack, and that is happening right now especially in Western Evangelical Christianity, turning away from those things which our very faith rests on ... the doctrines of salvation, all for the latest prophecy interpretation straight from the news headlines.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

shturt678s said:

Hello Old Jack.

Allow me to offer some thoughts.

I don't believe the casting down of Satan and the binding of Satan are the same thing.

Satan was "cast down out heaven to the earth" when Jesus was lifted up from the earth on the Cross. That is the moment when Satan was defeated and was cast down out of heaven. That occurred in c.30 A.D.

Now Scripture says when the devil saw he had been cast down out of heaven to the earth he was filled with wrath because he knew he only had a short time left. So he persecuted the woman who brought forth Christ, the Jewish believers. When he failed to destroy this Jewish remnant Satan turned his wrath upon her seed, the converts this Jewish remnant brought to Christ.

The "binding" of Satan occurred 40 years later ... when the Jewish nation, which had rejected God's provision of reconciliation and salvation, was judged according to what was written in the Law of Moses, and they were destroyed.

Thus the last jots and tittles of the Old Covenant was fulfilled. And Satan, his wrath having served God's purposes, was cast into the pit and there he was chained, never again to enter into the kingdom of light, never again to walk the courts of heaven, and never again to stand in the presence of God and accuse the brethren ... for now our Blessed Redeemer stands as the Great Mediator between the Father and His creation, and "there is now therefore no condemnation to those who are in Christ."

So from a more Gospel oriented viewpoint, the casting down of Satan and the binding of Satan are not the same thing, and did not occur at the same time.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer