What are your thoughts/beliefs about Freedom? - Updated

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you like to share some of your own thoughts, and freedom which are found in the context of the bible?

Am going to go ahead and share my viewpoint ~ You can disagree, or Agree with it; may God give you the increase into understanding this information, and may whatever is bad be forgotten but what is good that you may learn from it as the Lord Jesus Christ leads you by and through the spirit by and in faith of trusting God.

Freedom is paramount in being a Christian; to have freedom to question, to think, and ponder about everything, and anything. To me though sometimes in others it seems as though they may be in bondage to certain things in life, myself included though my life has become a lot more less constricted around the constraints of you must do this, or you must do that mentality into a freedom of my own choice: As I will do this, or do that. Though do not know what others entail when it comes to their own choices due to the freedom that they have; and it would be not be in my favor to condemn, or judge anyone for my own self has been through a lot and experienced many different things through-out life just as everyone else has here.

~ I would go on to share and say from my perspective of the Christian Philosophy which was taught by and through the Lord Jesus Christ in the scriptures is that even though I have freedom in Christ Jesus it is not the freedom to literally whatever it is I want to; As to go on to kill someone; or to keep hating on someone; there is a lot of things that are changed in a persons heart from what is use to be when it comes to Christ Jesus. There is freedom to love God and love others freely without the restrains of sin anymore because of becoming dead to sin which is taught in the bible.

That sin had to deal with - with unbelief; hatefulness; malicious acts, greed, lustful for friends wife (whatever it is), Coveting (wanting other things people have because of not possessing whatever it is), lying, unmerciful, unforgiving, unloving, there are many that can be named (Galatians 5) ~ I have done all of these things, from lying, cheating, being lustful, greedy, and still suffer from something, but my heart has been made new by God through the spirit which causes me to have love, be kind, be gentle, be forgiving, be merciful, not lusting and trying to sleep with my neighbors wife, being more peaceful, patient with others and things of this nature.

~~ These are my own personal beliefs, and a bit of information about who I am as a person. Thank you for reading and take care; my only thing is for people to be encouraged and hope the best for you and your family because there is no judgement here, or hate for anyone.

@Wrangler @amadeus : Finally 5 paragraph, just desired to share with you both hope my writing is getting better! Take care!

Take care and thank you for reading. God bless.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG

In the King James Version New Testament that English word, "freedom" is only used once:

"And the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this freedom. And Paul said, But I was free born. Acts 22:28

Freedom:
politeiva
Politeia (pol-ee-ti'-ah);
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine, Strong #: 4174

1. the administration of civil affairs
  2. a state or commonwealth
  3. citizenship, the rights of a citizen
KJV Word Usage and Count
freedom 1
commonwealth 1

In the cited verse both the chief captain and Paul were speaking of political freedom as allowed by law, Roman law.

Does that relate to what we are free to do as followers of Christ [Christians] or should we consider what Paul wrote here?

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." I Cor 6:12

We may be able to do a whole lot of things which many times might not even be sinful before God, but considering what Paul wrote would they be expedient for us? Do not some seemingly harmless pathways take us into dangerous territory needlessly? Did God really tell you to do it or did you just figure it all out for yourself? Did you really talk to God about it want His answer... even if it was, no?

The freedom is ours, but where is that "lawful" path we have decided to follow ultimately lead?

For example I might say that before I came to God I used to regularly visit a neighborhood bar with some 'close' friends and have a few drinks with them. [But none of them knew God!] We used to have some pretty "good" [Does that word, "good" fit here?] times together...?!?!

But...so long as I don't drink to excess [1. 2 or 3 or 6 beers, etc..?], is there any reason why I should not still go there regularly at the same times they do? After all we were friends... Maybe, just maybe, I can witness to them and win them to God?

What is wrong with that idea? What is right about it?
Freedom?

Reactions: MatthewG

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Live free or die.

I am an American therefore I am a descendant of men that would not be ruled. I think it’s in my genes as I don’t like to be told what to do and I don’t like controlling people trying to control me. In fact I find great satisfaction in not doing what controlling people demand that I do. It drives them crazy, not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

All things are lawful but all the things of this world can bind you to them. Everything here is addicting, everything. I wonder how free we actually are as this world has a way of sinking its hooks into us.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the King James Version New Testament that English word, "freedom" is only used once:
"And the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this
freedom. And Paul said, But I was free born. Acts 22:28
Freedom:

politeiva Politeia (pol-ee-ti'-ah);
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine, Strong #: 4174
  1. the administration of civil affairs
  2. a state or commonwealth
  3. citizenship, the rights of a citizen
KJV Word Usage and Count
freedom 1
commonwealth 1
In the cited verse both the chief captain and Paul were speaking of political freedom as allowed by law, Roman law.

Hello Amadeus,

Thank you for your comment; these are some of my thoughts on what you shared.

The scripture that came and comes my mind about Freedom is Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.

Does that relate to what we are free to do as followers of Christ [Christians] or should we consider what Paul wrote here?

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." I Cor 6:12

This is the freedom to choose whatever you desire; there are difference consequences for our individual choices. Negative and positive. That also means in the realm of happiness of what we do with our bodies ~ Which can be negative, and positive.

There is freedom from the realm of happiness (living here in this world) passing unto the Realm of Joy (pertaining to spiritual things)- Which comes by and through the Lord Jesus Christ living by the spirit with Him in us as Believers - ~ There are also negative and positives to the faith, they can be found in chapter 5 of Matthew.

We may be able to do a whole lot of things which many times might not even be sinful before God, but considering what Paul wrote would they be expedient for us? Do not some seemingly harmless pathways take us into dangerous territory needlessly? Did God really tell you to do it or did you just figure it all out for yourself? Did you really talk to God about it want His answer... even if it was, no?

Must we sin that grace must abound ?

Romans 6: What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid.

The freedom is ours, but where is that "lawful" path we have decided to follow ultimately lead?

What is the only "Lawful" path to follow ? Yet that of having faith and fulfilling the law of Christ by loving God, and Loving others while actively having a relationship and fellowship with God and the Lord Jesus Christ, in reading, or prayer.

For example I might say that before I came to God I used to regularly visit a neighborhood bar with some 'close' friends and have a few drinks with them. [But none of them knew God!] We used to have some pretty "good" [Does that word, "good" fit here?] times together...?!?!

How many beers we talking, and is there going to be a bar fight that ensues?

But...so long as I don't drink to excess [1. 2 or 3 or 6 beers, etc..?], is there any reason why I should not still go there regularly at the same times they do? After all we were friends... Maybe, just maybe, I can witness to them and win them to God?

Not everything is beneficial have had my fair share over hangovers, and lying, and hating, being covetous of other people and what they have, lying and manipulating others. It is super easy to make bad decision on the fact of being a human. None of us are good. That is why God seen we needed a Savior.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Live free or die.

I am an American therefore I am a descendant of men that would not be ruled. I think it’s in my genes as I don’t like to be told what to do and I don’t like controlling people trying to control me. In fact I find great satisfaction in not doing what controlling people demand that I do. It drives them crazy, not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

All things are lawful but all the things of this world can bind you to them. Everything here is addicting, everything. I wonder how free we actually are as this world has a way of sinking its hooks into us.

Thank you for sharing Mantis!
You are right about what you share.

At least freedom to walk in the spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:17 For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

Galatians 5: 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Reactions: amadeus and Mantis