What are your thoughts on end times fiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read the Left Behind series when I was a brand new Christian in '05 and found the books to be at least a fun read. I learned later after the fact that there was a fair amount of criticism concerning the theology of that series. I recently re-read the series last year, and started a series called Chaos In The Blink of an Eye by Patrick Higgins, which so far, is a lot shorter and to the point than the Left Behind books. There are currently 5 books in that series, and the 6th book get released on June 14th.

I was just curious about what you guys thought about these series, or any other end times related fiction.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I read the Left Behind series when I was a brand new Christian in '05 and found the books to be at least a fun read. I learned later after the fact that there was a fair amount of criticism concerning the theology of that series. I recently re-read the series last year, and started a series called Chaos In The Blink of an Eye by Patrick Higgins, which so far, is a lot shorter and to the point than the Left Behind books. There are currently 5 books in that series, and the 6th book get released on June 14th.

I was just curious about what you guys thought about these series, or any other end times related fiction.
It wasn't Hal Lindsey but the other author whose name escapes me, that wrote the Left Behind series.

B

Butterfly

I started to read the Left Behind books, but only got through one book, that was years ago.
Not heard of the one your reading now, might check it out. I have only just really started looking at revelations in detail ( it's one of those things I get a bit bogged down with, or have done in the past- but this time round I am finding it easier to get my head around)
I do like Christian fiction - so I might check it out, if I do I will let you know what I think.
I have no idea if these book are Christian or not, but I loved The Mistborn trilogy - and do like Brandon Sanderson as a writer. I am reading ' Way of the Kings ' trilogy at the moment - I always ' see ' spiritual overtones within his books.
Rita

Reactions: Nancy

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I started to read the Left Behind books, but only got through one book, that was years ago.
Not heard of the one your reading now, might check it out. I have only just really started looking at revelations in detail ( it's one of those things I get a bit bogged down with, or have done in the past- but this time round I am finding it easier to get my head around)
I do like Christian fiction - so I might check it out, if I do I will let you know what I think.
I have no idea if these book are Christian or not, but I loved The Mistborn trilogy - and do like Brandon Sanderson as a writer. I am reading ' Way of the Kings ' trilogy at the moment - I always ' see ' spiritual overtones within his books.
Rita

The Chaos in The Blink of an Eye series is available through Amazon. When I had a free Kindle Unlimited subscription earlier in the year, I read the first 5 books for free. There are paperback editions available on Amazon, but the Kindle copies are cheaper. The Kindle edition offers the 5 books for about 11 US dollars.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Chaos in The Blink of an Eye series is available through Amazon. When I had a free Kindle Unlimited subscription earlier in the year, I read the first 5 books for free. There are paperback editions available on Amazon, but the Kindle copies are cheaper. The Kindle edition offers the 5 books for about 11 US dollars.
I used to do reviews for Amazon years ago. I do find Kindle a good idea for some ppl, but if it's always on a screen, I find my eyes struggle after too long.

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to do reviews for Amazon years ago. I do find Kindle a good idea for some ppl, but if it's always on a screen, I find my eyes struggle after too long.

Fortunately, I haven't had any issues like that when reading my Kindle. I have found my Kindle to be great for reading fiction. For Bible reading, not so much. I prefer to have a physical Bible in my hand when I'm reading my Bible. But I did get a free ESV bible through Amazon for my Kindle, though.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Fortunately, I haven't had any issues like that when reading my Kindle. I have found my Kindle to be great for reading fiction. For Bible reading, not so much. I prefer to have a physical Bible in my hand when I'm reading my Bible. But I did get a free ESV bible through Amazon for my Kindle, though.
Good that Kindle works for you. But I too prefer to have a Bible in my hand.

B

Butterfly

I have a Kobo ereader, so I will check their lists out. I have two different bibles on that, but if I am honest I like ' actual books ' - but the ereader is great to take out, I often sit in Costa before work , and read on the bus journeys.
Rita

Reactions: Nancy

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it good?

I like it better than the Left Behind series. The series is still incomplete at this time. There will be between 10-12 books when the series is finished. The author uses scripture to back up his take on the end-times. The books are shorter and more to the point than the Left Behind books.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I like it better than the Left Behind series. The series is still incomplete at this time. There will be between 10-12 books when the series is finished. The author uses scripture to back up his take on the end-times. The books are shorter and more to the point than the Left Behind books.
Good that Scripture is well used for quotes. Sometimes so called Christian fiction is really strong on imagination but significantly short on doctrine rooted in the Word.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

End times fiction is like end times metal music.....the imagination runs wild, is disordered, confused, without harmony and devoid of the Spirit of God.

Reactions: brakelite and Nancy
B

brakelite

End times fiction is like end times metal music.....the imagination runs wild, is disordered, confused, without harmony and devoid of the Spirit of God.
Are you sure you couldn't have said that a little clearer?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: I wonder how people who don't even believe in the Rapture of the church get along with the Left Behind series?

My own position is that I do strongly believe in the Rapture of the church (as per 1 Thess. 4, John 14), but maybe I'm just less keen on fiction about it... (if this makes any sense...)

B

Butterfly

Just curious- what end time fiction have you read ?