What are your thoughts on end times fiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what sort / how far into metal are you?

My tastes tend to lean more old-school metal. Metallica, obviously, by my avatar. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, the Scorpions, Motorhead; and classic hard rock like UFO, Def Leppard and AC/DC. I like a lot of 2000s hard rock and metal, like Chevelle, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall and High on Fire. I also like modern metal bands like Veil of Maya and Born of Osiris. I don't like death metal at all or black metal. Black metal and death metal can be rather satanic, so it's not my style at all.

Reactions: Nancy and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My tastes tend to lean more old-school metal. Metallica, obviously, by my avatar. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, the Scorpions, Motorhead; and classic hard rock like UFO, Def Leppard and AC/DC. I like a lot of 2000s hard rock and metal, like Chevelle, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall and High on Fire. I also like modern metal bands like Veil of Maya and Born of Osiris. I don't like death metal at all or black metal. Black metal and death metal can be rather satanic, so it's not my style at all.
Do you also know Disciple? their 'Radical' seems good hard rock, with hard hitting Biblical lyrics. (See the header link on my posts.)

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you also know Disciple? their 'Radical' seems good hard rock, with hard hitting Biblical lyrics. (See the header link on my posts.)

Yeah, I have their self-titled album. And I did check out your link to Radical and that's pretty solid. Red is another really good Christian hard rock/metal band. I have a few of their albums as well. And, of course, I love P.O.D.

I listen to a lot of non-metal as well. I listen to a fair amount of 80's and 90's alternative like Depeche Mode, the Cure, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Faith No More. I also listen to a little bit of Americana-style country music like Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah, I have their self-titled album. And I did check out your link to Radical and that's pretty solid. Red is another really good Christian hard rock/metal band. I have a few of their albums as well. And, of course, I love P.O.D.

I listen to a lot of non-metal as well. I listen to a fair amount of 80's and 90's alternative like Depeche Mode, the Cure, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Faith No More. I also listen to a little bit of Americana-style country music like Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit.
The rasping screamo in Disciple's 'Radical' is effective, too.

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They've obviously practised it well to a really effective performance. And I think it complements the Scripture verses.

And lyrically, it's a great declaration of faith. For what it's worth, I think Radical is better than any song on their self-titled album that I own.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
And lyrically, it's a great declaration of faith. For what it's worth, I think Radical is better than any song on their self-titled album that I own.
Such music might not be suitable for general congregational use, but if young people want to express Biblical faith strongly in hard rock, then this is a good way to do it.

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Such music might not be suitable for general congregational use, but if young people want to express Biblical faith strongly in hard rock, then this is a good way to do it.

Oh, I've never heard any Christian metal song used in the worship portion of church. But, I've heard Christian metal and rap played plenty at church youth groups.

Well, I'm gonna log off and head to bed. My wife and I are going away for the weekend. Talk to you next week!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh, I've never heard any Christian metal song used in the worship portion of church. But, I've heard Christian metal and rap played plenty at church youth groups.

Well, I'm gonna log off and head to bed. My wife and I are going away for the weekend. Talk to you next week!
Have a great night and a great weekend!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS: I wonder how people who don't even believe in the Rapture of the church get along with the Left Behind series?

My own position is that I do strongly believe in the Rapture of the church (as per 1 Thess. 4, John 14), but maybe I'm just less keen on fiction about it... (if this makes any sense...)
I enjoyed the series back when I just dutifully went along with what I was told to believe. Then, some years later I learned to read for myself. (I'd probably just chuckle today.)

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It wasn't Hal Lindsey but the other author whose name escapes me, that wrote the Left Behind series.

Jerry Jenkins. Jenkins did not do a very good job on the series--sometimes it seemed almost like a joke to him. His depiction of the Antichrist was whiny and not scary at all (except maybe in the first book). I found the characterization laughable on many points.

Reactions: Nancy

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I started to read the Left Behind books, but only got through one book, that was years ago.
Not heard of the one your reading now, might check it out. I have only just really started looking at revelations in detail ( it's one of those things I get a bit bogged down with, or have done in the past- but this time round I am finding it easier to get my head around)
I do like Christian fiction - so I might check it out, if I do I will let you know what I think.
I have no idea if these book are Christian or not, but I loved The Mistborn trilogy - and do like Brandon Sanderson as a writer. I am reading ' Way of the Kings ' trilogy at the moment - I always ' see ' spiritual overtones within his books.
Rita

I liked the Bodie Thoene series, The Zion Chronicles. While reading it you get a feel for the history of the founding of the nation of Israel in 1947-48 and the desperation of ordinary Jews to establish a nation where they would "never again" be slaughtered at the whim of a Gentile government. The Thoenes (Bodie and her husband write together at times) are a wonderful and talented Jewish-Christian couple and their work will make you cry over the absolute cruelty inflicted on the Jews of Europe.

B

Butterfly

I liked the Bodie Thoene series, The Zion Chronicles. While reading it you get a feel for the history of the founding of the nation of Israel in 1947-48 and the desperation of ordinary Jews to establish a nation where they would "never again" be slaughtered at the whim of a Gentile government. The Thoenes (Bodie and her husband write together at times) are a wonderful and talented Jewish-Christian couple and their work will make you cry over the absolute cruelty inflicted on the Jews of Europe.
Yes the Jews did go through so much, I use to work for a Jewish lady who escaped to England with her sister , she was only nine and had lost the rest of her family- I have read , and seen many documentaries - I grew up on ' all our yesterdays ' and ' the world at war ' on TV. I will check the books out X
Rita

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk